Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've somehow avoided TV Tropes in my entire 21 years on the Internet, so I'm gonna keep calling those characters analogues, like the Watchmen characters to the Charlton heroes, Supreme, the Extremists, most characters from Planetary, etc. I just don't care for the term "expy."

Alan Moore's Supreme was pretty terrific, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
As a kid, one of my favorite movies was Short Circuit 2 (where the robot goes up against stereotypical New York street gangs), little knowing that it was the beginning of being a Michael McKean fan for most of my life. It's probably awful, but I loved it at the time. And to this day, I'll defend Transformers: The Movie to anyone.

But some of the worst movies I ever saw as a kid, where I was repulsed and even embarrassed for watching them, and that my parents had to sit through them with me, and that people actually made them and thought they were good, were the Australian "comedy" Young Einstein, Spaced Invaders (a true piece of crap starring little people in bad Martian costumes), and Hook.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

1. The Book of Human Insects by Osamu Tezuka--is other manga like this? I feel like I opened up some horrible draining money void now, because this was really interesting and weird and when I think of manga, I think of fantasy stuff and all the anime tropes. I guess this work was from the early 70s, but I liked it a lot.
2. Bughouse by Steve Lafler
3. SSHHHH! by Jason
4. first trade of Morrison's Animal Man
5. Tomorrow Stories Book 1 and Book 2 by Alan Moore
6. The Superman / Madman Hullabaloo by Mike Allred
7. Cheap Novelties: the Pleasures of Urban Decay by Ben Katchor (I think this is the last book of his I didn't have)

Also also, there were the first three Justice League International trades--the first was $6.99, but the other two were both $25, again, because I guess they're OOP. It looks like there's an Omnibus coming out very soon, though--the series looked pretty lighthearted and fun, and my wife loves Martian Manhunter--does JLI come pretty well recommended? I feel like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle get a lot of love around these parts.

JLI is spectacular. It was ahead of its time, and it has aged amazingly well. Don't buy the existing trades because DC discontinued them, but the first Omnibus is due out this week, and it's on Amazon for a very reasonable, bargain preorder price. Get it. Believe the hype. You won't be sorry.

As for your other purchases, I love Ben Katchor's Julius Knipl comics, and Cheap Novelties was my favorite of his collections. Superman/Madman is a lot of fun (Mike Allred is my all-time favorite artist), and Tomorrow Stories is very uneven, but the Greyshirt stories by Alan Moore and Rick Veitch are an incredible Will Eisner homage that play a lot with the form of comic book storytelling in cool, experimental ways.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Ben Katchor is definitely worthy of the MacArthur Genius Grant he received, that's for sure. His stuff is so subtle and smart, I'm sure I don't get everything out of it. But what I do get is such a powerful exploration of what it means for humans to live together in cities, it really makes me want to give a copy to all of my friends, even the ones who don't read comics.

Julius Knipl: Real Estate Photographer used to run in the New Times, Miami's free alt-weekly newspaper, back in the '90s when I was a teenager obsessed with comics (mostly superheroes), and it fascinated me. My family is Jewish (mostly non-practicing) and from Brooklyn, so something about it really resonated with me -- the sense of a fading culture in a dusty, weathered metropolis showing cracks and fading, but still rich with history and secret stories everywhere. I love old New York Jewish humor, delis and diners (both fading institutions, especially in NYC), and all that kind of stuff.

I forgot about Katchor and Knipl for many years until I read a review of Cheap Novelties last year (a new edition came out recently), and that led me to track down Katchor's other Julius Knipl collections via interlibrary loan. They were all really charming and interesting and sad and weird and occasionally funny, but never laugh-out-loud funny. Cheap Novelties, with his earliest Knipl strips, was the best one. I wouldn't mind owning a copy at some point.

Sorry -- I've never met anyone else who had even heard of his work before, even though I know he won the MacArthur Grant. Ever since Lin-Manuel Miranda became a MacArthur Fellow, I've been more interested in tracking down more works from previous Fellows. Katchor, Miranda, David Simon, Alison Bechdel, and Chris Thile make for some really fantastic company.

• Locked thread