Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's too many Hyperions, it confuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even though Moon Knight has a lot of Batman going on, I'm not sure I'd call him an expy of Batman the same way Nighthawk is. Like for one thing I think the Batman aspects of his character were added slightly after his original appearance in Werewolf By Night.

There's so many goddamn Superman analogues in Marvel that it'd be hard to tally them all.

Hyperion(s)
Sentry
Wundarr the Aquarian
Gladiator
Sun God
Blue Marvel

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. And even though Thor is his own character, sometimes they are not very subtle in reminding people he's more or less the Avengers' version of Superman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes I think about how ridiculous it is that Marvel and DC earth still operates like ours when they not only have all these superpowered dudes running around but also know there's things like Ego the Living Planet and Darkseid and Galactus out there. It's pretty goofy that neither of those earths have modified their government structures and gotten a seat at some kind of intergalactic united nations. "Oh yeah, intelligent alien civilizations are totally out there, but that's for the Space CIA to worry about, now let me tell you what I think about illegal mexican immigrants"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh? Instead of saying 52, they put 42 million etc? Why?

Related to "expys" (is there a more commonly used word for this? Pastiches, maybe?), I notice no one has brought up The Boys, a potential bonanza of them.

I don't think straight parodies qualify.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

I'm reading an old issue of Miles Morales Spider-Man and all I can think now is why doesn't one of the richer superheroes open a charter school specifically made to help the teen superheroes balance their school and superhero life?

They get leeway on assignment if they were busy fighting crime, they can leave mid class to do superhero stuff, excetera. It'd be easy to hide as a school for gifted people and there are enough super intelligent superheroes to basically be the teacher on their off time while still maintaining good enough standings for the degree from there to matter.

Also, it can be a pretty bitchin comic. I mean, the X-Men are pretty loving successful.

The school would just get attacked every 3 issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

Works for X-men.

Yeah only most of them died so far.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Goku is more or less explicitly "What if Superman was in Journey To the West?", at least originally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

joehonkie posted:

"Triumph of our Will"

Yipe.

Don't forget that he's the bad guy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zoro posted:

I was looking for something on the Internet relating to Bendis and I stumbled across the reality that there seems to be many right wing blogs devoted to shiting on Marvel and sucking off DC.

These people are short-sighted idiots who probably don't really read comics that much and are only invested in the industry as yet another front in their culture war. But it's pretty easy to paint an imbecilic narrative of DC being the "anti-sjw" side if you only cherry-pick things. Frank Miller's Batman here, the often extremely white JLA there, Johns sidelining a ton of minority characters to bring back boring white dudes, Superman being a literal white ubermensch who explicitly stands for The American Way (western values)... If you ignore like, 98% off the actual content of DC and Marvel's comics, you can totally say that DC is for mature rational adults who believe in western values and Marvel is an SJW cuck-fest who panders to tumblr teens with (((diversity))). Then you fit that idiotic take and Marvel's currently-bad sales and fit them into the moronic narrative that since the republicans won an election with the lowest turnout in modern history, progressiveness is over forever and the tide will never ever turn again.

It's all very circular and has almost nothing to do with reality on any level.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

The comic book fandom is full of scum like that. I'm still dazed over the loving Batgirl cover controversy.

Frank Cho needs to get decked by a guy in a black hoodie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

While that's true, Cho's gimmick came from the Manara Spider-Woman butt pose.

I could be thinking of the wrong guy but I thought he had also drawn his own take on the pulled Batgirl cover and sold it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Either Eragon or the Golden Compass.

What are you, 12?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Super Mario Bros might be my first "oh no, this is bad" experience. That or TMNT 3. I was too naive to realize how bad the second one was, but the third one was insufferably boring.

If I saw any bad movies and noticed they were bad before then, they've left my memory entirely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

~We can do anything by working with each other
La la la, la-la lala la laaaa~

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like if each subforum had images in the background, this one would be a contender for BSS.

I could totally make a thread icon based on it, but I don't think BSS gets nearly enough traffic to justify new thread icons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

My shartlo cosplay costume for New York Comica is mumbling along nicely, Estherban.

Just need to finger out how to keep the glasses in place and it's groove sailing from here on out.

You better not film any curséd VHS tapes while you're there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TenCentFang posted:

There's always Blight from Batman Beyond.

You mean Norman Osborn.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

My friend was telling me about the newish Batman series and he mentioned Gotham Girl but I thought he said Goblin Girl and that made me wonder if Green Goblin ever had a female teenage sidekick named Goblin Girl.

The closest to that was Menace, one of the many ill-advised and forgettable villains during Brand New Day. She was in her 20s, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Girl Venom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I heard good things about the initial batch of issues Slott had on Silver Surfer, is it still running strong?

It-

TenCentFang posted:

Slott's Silver Surfer was straight-up Doctor Who fanfiction. It was embarrassing.

Yeah.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Well, poo poo. Len Wein died.

:(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The first issue of Swamp Thing features a dog that's secretly a spy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's almost as bad as my nephew's name, Boltagon Maximoff Peterson.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

West is a lovely first name, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

This is an actual quote from the Red Sonja comics: "she was white and red, like sand on fire"

Red Sonja has a very unfortunate history.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Chainmail bikini is the least of her problems.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/lillie_80/status/909174137234640898

https://twitter.com/lillie_80/status/909174407570034688

Grain of salt and all, this is unverified and Stan's got a history of pretending he's out of the loop when it comes to fan-displeasing moves (the death of gwen stacy, for example).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If it says Roy Thomas and/or John Buscema on the cover, it's worth seeking out. Savage Sword has some of the best stuff(because it's a bit more R-rated), but it's all good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Readers gave Stan poo poo in the letters column over that for years.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not like there was a rulebook for combining Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Frankenstein's Monster into a single character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can anyone sum up the 'Diversity & Comics' drama? Every creator is suddenly after whoever this guy is https://twitter.com/DiversityAndCmx
but I haven't seen any of the instigating incidents.
https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/910615855918063616
https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/status/910703927464562688

It's comic book gamergaters. If you see one in the street, drop 'em.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

I think the creators hitting back are making a mistake. I understand wanting to defend yourself and call out morons like this but at the same time all you're doing is raising their profile. Just ignore these small time idiots and it's better for everyone.

Ignoring targeted harassment has never, ever worked. All it does is make it seem like there's not a problem to people who aren't the victims, which makes it harder for them.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 21, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even if Mark Waid is a creep who doesn't respect women, actively trying to destroy women is probably still a step too far for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Don't let the good be the enemy of the barely passable. Or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also FYAD and new GBS exist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I miss Helldump.

Some people with weird grudges against SA on twitter have been trying to rewrite history and turn Helldump into this weird doxxing forum or something that targeted people because of their politics. I posted there, and there were a lot of problems with Helldump but doxxing people was not one of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

E: NVM

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My opinion on that statue depends entirely on how nice an rear end they gave Ollie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I got you.

Ollie needs to do some squats.

Tsk tsk.

• Locked thread