Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

I'm reading an old issue of Miles Morales Spider-Man and all I can think now is why doesn't one of the richer superheroes open a charter school specifically made to help the teen superheroes balance their school and superhero life?
Some real talk New York City education politics: I can't imagine that going well.

Remember that charters are actually publicly funded despite receiving a lot of money from donors and not necessarily complying with state regulations. This is why it's important for most charters to have lottery systems in order to seem fair and not just be handpicking the best and brightest. So right off the back, there would be a lot of push-back to what would essentially be a publicly funded Xavier Academy. But you would have to probably pitch it as Mutant/Superhuman friendly then strictly tailored for them. That's hard to sell while still presenting the fact that you have open enrollment. Also, dealing with a board of directors would be a huge hassle. Forget an Xavier style Danger Room because suddenly you have to deal with having an Anti-Mutant rich rear end in a top hat who is on your board of trustees trying to sway your decision making because of how he thinks muties are supposed to be. Not to mention you'll end up in the State Test Score rat race that most charters end up in which really seems like a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. If your tests scores are low, better believe you're going to get pressure to make sure nobody is fighting any Magnetos or poo poo between the months of February and April. But you got to figure if your test scores are too high then that Anti-Mutant trustee who is still baffingly on your board is going to say, "Well, it was probably because ya got one of those Jean Greys or what have you in your school." And for better or for worse ant-charter folks are going to question your data.

But this is all assuming that you have found your own site for your school which while possible (there are a few charters that do a good job at this), is pretty hard. Co-locating like most charters do would be a bitch to deal with for tons of reasons. I mean how are you going to justify to the parents of the school downstairs that the Wrecking Crew is loitering outside during pick-up like half of the time? But that isn't the worst of it. Say you do get a Danger Room style training facility. Guess what? New York City law--not sure about state--requires equitable facilities between co-locating schools. So the non-superpowered kids downstairs also need to have a Danger Room.

Working at a charter school has made working at Xavier's seem like a cake walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Fun little opinion question: What change have you seen a creative team make to a property that feels like it should stick or is an all-around improvement, that hasn't really? It can be a retcon that was dropped after the run, a reinterpretation from an Elseworlds/What If or similar or anything really.

Mine is probably the implied fact from Max Landis' American Alien mini that Martha Kent was the Smallville vet. That's one of those touches that just makes so much sense that I'm amazed it's never been done before.
Spider-Man being unmasked. I honestly think it really, really should have stuck.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like modern Spider-Man always goes into this place of Peter needs to grow up and understand his true potential. JMS actually wrote a really good monologue from Aunt May talking about how guilt shouldn't define your life and letting go of it is part of aging. I think that Peter going public is this really good moment of Peter embracing that he doesn't have to always have Parker Luck and try to really define his own life. And once again, it's a path they have gone down before, but the unmasking is a trick that you could only do once.

I wonder how different things would have gone with the unmasking and One More Day if Miles was already around.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Peter growing the gently caress up and becoming a HS teacher was probably the best thing they could have ever done with him. As much as I liked the unmasking it totally cocked up that plot and they had to bail on it pretty quick.
Was it something they really bailed on? I felt like One More Day was always the plans and would have always hosed over a lot with what was going well in terms of Spider-Man.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

When JMS made him a teacher they hadn't even decided he was going to unmask during CW yet.
I know. I mean that the One More Day stuff seemed to have to do more with undoing his teaching career than the unmasking did.

With that said though, was he a teacher AND Tony's assistant at the same time? I feel like that might be true? I know there was a post-unmasking Doctor Octopus story that involved him making his way to Peter's school.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Zoro posted:

Is it odd my second thought -- my first thought was "loving lol" --- was "that mask would not hide anyone's identity?"
Alt-Hero is really mild, mannered reporter Dana--oh poo poo, no, her boss saw the photos of her, gently caress, nevermind.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

purple death ray posted:

Frank Miller was always a hard right nut job, he just got way more outspoken after 9/11. It's all there in his 80s stuff. It really makes me second guess how much I love Batman considering how many of his "best" writers are using him for fascist wish fulfillment.
I think I've said this before, but Miller's Batman has kind of been ruined for me because I think that Batman has to on some level love Gotham City. Which is hard to be true when so much of Miller's is him dealing with him being afraid of New York.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Frank Miller grew up in Vermont and moved to New York City in the mid 1970s. This was pretty much the peak of New York City's crime rate (though some more geographically concentrated crime rates really spiked in the early 1990s too) and Frank Miller as someone from Vermont moving to The Big City barely out of his teenage years getting mugged and rough up at gunpoint repeatedly informed a whole lot of the work he did during that time period on Daredevil, and according to Miller informed his 1980s work on Batman too.

Frank Miller still lives (or at least owns a place and spends time in) New York City and has for over forty years, so saying he is "afraid of New York" is probably not accurate in 2017, but you never know.
I find it hard to not imagine Miller having some antiquated views of East New York, Harlem, and the entirety of the Bronx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

b) Frank Miller also has continued to live in New York City for about forty years now, so his view of it/him being "scared of it" has probably evolved over the decades, again, for both good and ill.
The reason I don't lend a lot of credence to this is because New York City's size and density lends itself to a lot of people who spend extended amount of time here not interacting with most of the city. I don't really care if someone is comfortable living in the Village or wherever Miller spends most of his time. If you're inherently uncomfortable walking down Church Avenue with the Pakistani families or walking down Adam Clayton with West African families, yeah, you're afraid of New York. And I think based on his statements and work over the last decade, it's not unfair for me to make these assumptions about him.

With that said, I do agree with your broader statement that being a "bad person" isn't an all or nothing game. I love a lot of Miller's work, I know there is good in him, and comics are better for having him. On the other hand, I think the "9/11 broke Frank" myth needs to stop. 9/11 better illustrated a worldview that was always there.

• Locked thread