Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm gonna request you put on the Wing Chun outfit for Reasons, if that's even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Quiet Python posted:

Do people still do comedy overdubs of old movies? There's "Kung Pow", there's "What's Up, Tiger Lily?", are there any others?

Well, there was MxC, which was a Gag Dub of some Japanese gameshow (Takeshi's Castle, I think). 13-year-old me found it hilarious.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
New cast members-

Inspector Teng- Kelly Hu

Dirty Ming- Terence Yin

Calvin- Conan Lee (my favorite comic relief character in the game btw)

Tran the Car Dealer- Feodor Chin

We got my favorite side objective this video- Beat up the drunken rear end in a top hat! :D

I am currently still evaluating my choice for movie I think Bobbin should cover per my financial initiative. Don't worry, I will make the decision soon. Good choice, Henson, for picking Kung Pow.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid
i get the feeling that the game was meant to reveal that wei is a cop to the player right along with teng. it just... feels like a better reveal. Punchier and more natural. also like god drat wei shen murders like a shitton of dudes in this episode. i'm at least certain that ming is the only guy who could reasonably be assumed to have survived that opening fight. sleeping dogs is definitely not afraid to get just absolutely loving brutal. and, as has been said earlier, the game's got a real drat good sense of humour. real good comedic timing, too. my personal favourite this video was calvin punching the cop, but "beat up the drunken rear end in a top hat" was also a standout gag. in fact, i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that between today's movie and the actual game, the latter was significantly funnier.

kung pow certainly seems like an interesting beast, if nothing else. there's some jokes that definitely work ("we trained him wrong as a joke" is goddamn brilliant and i won't hear any other opinions on the matter), but overall it seems like a borat type situation. it's funny once, when you don't know what's coming, but then on subsequent watches the movie gets progressively more and more irritating, while at the same time getting less and less funny. that said, i've only seen bits and pieces of kung pow so like for all i know it works a lot better than i'm giving it credit for.

also i can't believe you didn't notice the visual pun in fighting nun-chucks with woodchucks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Azure Dreamer posted:

also like god drat wei shen murders like a shitton of dudes in this episode.

I think this could be the title of the LP.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Straw Hat and the Retro Triad Outfit in the DLC store are references to Big Trouble in Little China.

The Retro Triad is an amalgamation of the Triad gang members in the airport abduction scene (the shades are a dead giveaway).

The hat is a reference to the Three Storms (Lightning, specifically) that work for Lo Pan in BTiLC.

Big Trouble in Little China is a masterpiece, really, and while it's less a "kung-fu" movie and more of a "Kurt Russell mugs the camera while dealing with Chinese black magic in Chinatown, SF," I'm really hoping to see it get a spot in the movie lineup, if just for a breakdown of who the *actual* hero of the movie is. It's pretty much my favorite movie, and it's a cult classic John Carpenter film.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 12, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Big Trouble in Little China is a goddamn masterpiece.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
Hey bobbin, The YouTube video is unavailable. Doesn't seem to be copyright or country restriction. Just says video not available.

I also get the monitor turn off issue on pc and have resorted to turning the screen saver and power saver settings for the monitor completely off to be able to play for more than 30 minutes.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Regarding the first movie covered, I can already understand a little better why Kung Fu Panda was so beloved in China--I'm sure we'll see more inspirations for scenes in that movie as we go along. Also, you forgot something about tai chi; it is also perfect for waterbending :v:

Regarding the second movie covered; while I love it dearly from watching it as a child, and compulsively mutter to myself "bah nah nah nah, NEO, bah nah nah nah nah nah nah, SPORIN" every time I go for some, it did cause me to avoid trying milk duds until I was an adult, so I must concede it does have its faults.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Zeond posted:

Hey bobbin, The YouTube video is unavailable. Doesn't seem to be copyright or country restriction. Just says video not available.

I also get the monitor turn off issue on pc and have resorted to turning the screen saver and power saver settings for the monitor completely off to be able to play for more than 30 minutes.

Could be the platform you're using. I got a copyright claim on that video and sometimes the claimant will restrict whether you can view it on a phone for some reason.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Re: chase scene at 15:00 - exactly the opposite. You can never catch up to bad guys in L.A Noir, and you can never run cars off the road until they break down on their own. On the other hand, you can just bring a gun or a car to any Sleeping Dogs chase sequence, and cut it wonderfully short. (Until the DLC, at least)

DLC outfits: Drunken Master is fairly obvious. There were a whole bunch of Bronze Warrior movies, so I'm not sure which one (if any) is referenced specifically. "Russian style" is based on Eastern Promises.

The Mongrel Mob is a real Maori gang.

The GPS being terrible was one of my main complaints as I was playing. Unfortunate that the definitive edition doesn't fix that (or the sparsity of taxi stations, from what little we saw).

You somehow failed to cram the race car driver into the trunk of his own car (then drive that car into the ocean).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 12, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm not sure about it now, but undercover work was coveted by HK police constables because that's pretty much their only automatic ticket to a sergeant promotion, since it's exceedingly hard otherwise as opportunities are so few due to the ultra-compressed rank structure of junior officers.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

Zeond posted:

I had the same problem. Trying to watch it on the YouTube app on my iPad it didn't work but watching it through Safari on polsy it worked fine.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Azure Dreamer posted:

also like god drat wei shen murders like a shitton of dudes in this episode.

Oh buddy, you've seen nothing yet. There's a reason why I called Wei "the best/worst cop in the world" in the DXHR thread.

Funny how everyone kept going on and on about the mass murders committed by Nathan Drake back in the day yet there was nary a peep about Wei Shen.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Xander77 posted:

You somehow failed to cram the race car driver into the trunk of his own car (then drive that car into the ocean).

Jesus Christ, DentonWei.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh buddy, you've seen nothing yet. There's a reason why I called Wei "the best/worst cop in the world" in the DXHR thread.

Funny how everyone kept going on and on about the mass murders committed by Nathan Drake back in the day yet there was nary a peep about Wei Shen.

Of course.

It's much the same principle about people complaining about their basement getting damp, but never make a peep about the Pacific ocean.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

ynohtna posted:

Jesus Christ, DentonWei.

AceOfFlames posted:

You either learn to embrace the insanity or live to see Wei return as a villain in the sequel get used to disappointment.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AceOfFlames posted:

Wei is the main character in a game based partly on a genre called "Heroic Bloodshed". He's sort of expected to murder an awful lot of dudes compared to the 'Indiana Jones by way of Joss Whedon' jokey guy.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
The most popular Hong Kong crime films are the A Better Tomorrow series and the Young and Dangerous series.

Azure Dreamer
Oct 14, 2012

wearing sunglasses makes me a cool kid

AceOfFlames posted:

like someone else mentioned, wei is the protagonist in a crime game, not an action platformer. indiana jones killing a couple of nazis over the course of the story but nathan drake killed quite a lotta dudes. plus nathan drake is supposed to be kind of a lovable wisecracking goofball who is a roguish but decidedly good guy. wei is an angry violent criminal who happens to be a police informant and the game doesn't make any pretenses to wei being a good person. and, like, there's the fact that nathan drake, at least in the first uncharted, was a white guy murdering a lotta brown guys. wei shen is an asian murdering a lot of asians. in the end it's just a video game, but i can sorta see why people would take note of the one but not the other.

like god drat though wei murders a lot of asians over the course of this game.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Asian lives matter... unless they're crooks.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's basically the same reason why Kazuma can get away with slaughtering assholes.

Also, I didn't even know that Wei had anything in his fridge, Travis never showed it off in his LP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

It's basically the same reason why Kazuma can get away with slaughtering assholes.

Also, I didn't even know that Wei had anything in his fridge, Travis never showed it off in his LP.

No one ever dies in Yakuza unless its a cutscene :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azure Dreamer posted:

like someone else mentioned, wei is the protagonist in a crime game, not an action platformer. indiana jones killing a couple of nazis over the course of the story but nathan drake killed quite a lotta dudes. plus nathan drake is supposed to be kind of a lovable wisecracking goofball who is a roguish but decidedly good guy. wei is an angry violent criminal who happens to be a police informant and the game doesn't make any pretenses to wei being a good person. and, like, there's the fact that nathan drake, at least in the first uncharted, was a white guy murdering a lotta brown guys. wei shen is an asian murdering a lot of asians. in the end it's just a video game, but i can sorta see why people would take note of the one but not the other.

like god drat though wei murders a lot of asians over the course of this game.

Wei's not an informant. He's an undercover cop. Different roles.

(Also, I love that you get two profiles for Wei. The first one you get is "Oh, yeah! He'll be great for undercover work. He may be too good, but that's the only worry here." and then you get "We're pretty sure he's guilty of multiple homicides, and that the SFPD cleaned up his record just so they could get rid of him.")

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Does the story change if you become more Triad instead of Cop, or vice versa?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No. The Cop and Triad EXP points just unlock different ability tracks, the story is mostly linear.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

No one ever dies in Yakuza unless its a cutscene :colbert:

Look I may have shot an entire street full of people with a shotgun repeatedly but... they're fine! They're all completely fine, the game says so!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The game actually says "civilian kill" every time you gently nudge someone in the face with your foot, so people in the Sleeping Dogs universe are just a bit fragile.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Someone already mentioned A Better Tomorrow, which has an absolutely awesome Chow Yun-Fat assassin scene. Also has a nostalgia for me as the first sketchy DVD I was sold when I was a student in Beijing in 2000.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Does the story change if you become more Triad instead of Cop, or vice versa?

You always get both, each from different missions.

And the fact that "Civilian Kill" is a reason to ding your Cop score for missions is evidence enough that Wei's comment about drinking through a straw is less there to excuse the violence and more to set up the upcoming plot point of "undercover cops don't kill...oh wait they totally do."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

LordNagash posted:

Look I may have shot an entire street full of people with a shotgun repeatedly but... they're fine! They're all completely fine, the game says so!

If not-Kazuma can have samurai sword fights without killing anyone a few hundred years ago then Kazuma can definitely do the same thing with knives and guns.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

You always get both, each from different missions.

And the fact that "Civilian Kill" is a reason to ding your Cop score for missions is evidence enough that Wei's comment about drinking through a straw is less there to excuse the violence and more to set up the upcoming plot point of "undercover cops don't kill...oh wait they totally do."

I'd say it's more "undercover cops don't kill...unless they're Wei Shen."

He's a bit of a law unto himself.

I guess you could say he did it his Wei.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I guess you could say he did it his Wei.

That pun is horrible and you should feel horrible.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Speaking of 'My Way' I think it's actually in the game's soundtrack. Along with many other classic tunes. I usually favor the classical music station. Handel's Messiah, Ride of the Valkyries, 1812 Overture- ain't nothing better to set violence to. :D

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

Samovar posted:

Anyone know the history of Southern Chinese cooking? Why did steamed bread become so popular there over other forms of bread cooking?

The climate of Southern China is very humid during summer. I guess because of this, baked bread just doesn't stay dry and fresh for long. So instead they use steam to keep them hot and soft. Also it is more suitable to grow rice instead of wheat there so those buns and bread are actually made of rice.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Hey Bobbin I think the latest youtube vid is getting geoblocked here in the UK - at least on the youtube app. I tried a Netherland VPN which didn't work either so maybe it's a wider issue..
I can still watch the vids with a US node but wanted to let you know. Maybe some music in there that gets flagged up? Maybe it's my ISP being poopy but it's a pretty open ISP so I doubt that is the problem.

Edit- strangely enough it works when casting to chromecast. I dunno, weird. Whatever :) Also, Kung Pow is as stupid as it is awesome!

give me thread fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 17, 2017

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
If we're shouting out kung-fu parodies, we'd probably better mention the delightfully stupid extended mini-feature "A Fistful of Yen" in Kentucky Fried Movie (with hapkido master Han Bong-soo as Dr. Klahn!). I'd also like to mention the skills and very broad comedy of Sammo Hung in his old-school punch-up Enter The Fat Dragon. The latter btw has an inexplicable placeholder IMDb page for a 2018 Donnie Yen remake. So... hooray?

Anyway, the late-70's/early-80's VHS rental market had some really fun, dumb stuff left out there for martial-arts fans to find.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Please pause and read the post I put in the video before you decide to tell me something I might already know.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Ah, the Popstar sidequest chain. Pretty much only memorable for the line "I'm the god of unpaid debts." Damned shame that it was used this early in the game (despite this set of missions being optional, at least to my knowledge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Interesting thing about comics in general. They (as far as recorded history knows) are a Scottish invention.

• Locked thread