Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:siren:LATEST UPDATE:siren:

Dishonored 2 is a stealth action game from Arkane Studios and sequel to the first Dishonored. Though a more action-oriented title, it still retains the immersive sim DNA that Arkane is known, having detailed environments that you can interact with to a greater degree than most stealth titles. The stealth and combat mechanics are also top notch, with a variety of lethal and non-lethal methods available for taking down patrolling guards, with a good play-feel for the controls as well (at least if you're not playing the input lagPS4 version...:suicide:). The level design is some of the best I've seen in recent times, with incredibly open-ended levels that you can progress through in a variety of ways. It's also highly replayable as there are a number of mutually exclusive tasks that can be performed in each of the missions, the game offers two characters with unique power sets to play through the game with, there is a new game plus mode where you're given even more power options, and you can customize the difficulty of the game to your liking for a particular playthrough.

This let's play will not be comprehensive per se: due to the open-ended nature of the gameplay, and the sheer freedom allotted to the player, such a thing is not really possible with doing numerous repeated playthroughs. But I will be showing off a large breadth of the content via two playthroughs. A complete playthrough as Emily, focusing on stealth and non-lethal approaches, wherein all major tasks will be performed and all notable collectables picked up, and a more abridged playthrough as Corvo, doing my best to show off alternative styles of play.

Expect an update each week, consisting of both an Emily video and a Corvo video.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reserved in case I need it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Update 01:

(Corvo update coming later this week.)

Literature

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I thought you could replay recorded messages in the Journal?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I thought you could replay recorded messages in the Journal?

You can! I had kind of completely forgotten that was a thing. Still requires you to take extra steps to listen to them on-the-go which interrupts the gameplay flow, which is my issue with how they work. Arkane did a much better job with it in Prey.

Also I finally got around to doing this mission's appendix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhf_91odSyU

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I wonder how the attempt at fleshing Corvo and Emily out will work. In the first Dishonored, Corvo was mute or near mute while Emily's characterization was almost entirely about being Corvo's child. Heck, Emily and Corvo in this game don't feel like they are the same as those in the first Dishonored. That's kind of unavoidable though.

Either way, the game does look great. So far it seems pretty much like Dishonored, but a bit better in many aspects.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Excellent, another Arkane game LP! I've been following your LPs since Bloodborne and I like your style, so I'll be sure to follow this one as well. I like how you're thoroughly showing off the many styles you can get through the levels, and all the nooks and crannies one can find by just looking hard enough! Also, the art direction is superb, the game looks gorgeous. I really like the way Dunwall looks, it's really something uncanny. Like a Dickens novel, but with electrical tramlines is the closest way I can find to describe it.
The only big downer for me is that they kept that stiff voice acting from the original, I have no clue why. Maybe it's a thematic choice? Either way, it never worked for me before and I have a hard time with it now. Emily and Corvo, at least, do seem to emote, and they do pretty well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mortons stork posted:

The only big downer for me is that they kept that stiff voice acting from the original, I have no clue why. Maybe it's a thematic choice? Either way, it never worked for me before and I have a hard time with it now. Emily and Corvo, at least, do seem to emote, and they do pretty well.

They have some excellent voice actors and actors in both games so it's either deliberate OR they need to hire a better voice director. Either way it definitely doesn't work. Weirdly enough I think some of the better bits of voice acting are some of the scripted conversations between guardsmen in some of the missions.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Well, that stiffness and flat delivery is completely absent in Prey, so all I'm left with is deliberate choice. Maybe they thought that with a washed-out colour palette like Dunwall is painted with, people would also be more grey, and have less expression? I don't know, I got nothing. Maybe they were going with a worldbuilding thing? Where Dunwall is a terrible place that drains the feeling out of you, and also the prevailing etiquette is kind of a British, stiff-upper-lip, take it all on the chin.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 10, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

mortons stork posted:

Well, that stiffness and flat delivery is completely absent in Prey, so all I'm left with is deliberate choice. Maybe they thought that with a washed-out colour palette like Dunwall is painted with, people would also be more grey, and have less expression? I don't know, I got nothing. Maybe they were going with a worldbuilding thing? Where Dunwall is a terrible place that drains the feeling out of you, and also the prevailing etiquette is kind of a British, stiff-upper-lip, take it all on the chin.

Looking at the credits for both games it seems the same names are attributed for voice direction in both games so yeah, it being just a weird stylistic choice is certainly possible.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Looks like they kept the enormous hands from the first game too.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

megane posted:

Yeah, that newspaper guy looked grotesque. Like he could have brutally strangled that guard with one hand. Or maybe he also had a small head?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Update 02:

Literature

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Excellent. I like how, run-down or not, Karnaca is so beautiful and Medditerannean-looking compared to Dunwall.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Speedball posted:

Excellent. I like how, run-down or not, Karnaca is so beautiful and Medditerannean-looking compared to Dunwall.

Yeah they do a really good job of immediately differentiating the two settings. It would have been easy to just make Karnaca another Dunwall but they really go all-in with the more tropical setting by having an overall warmer color palette and more appropriate faunal threat with the bloodflies.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I feel a lot of Naples in the Karnaca skyline seen from the coast. Pretty great, actually.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

I like the huge hands in these games. It's a nifty artstyle that stands out.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAlsHTc3HC8

Had some recording issues which is why this took so long. Next proper episode will also be a bit delayed as a result. I should probably build up a back log before starting these things. :v:

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I'll be honest, I'm only watching the Emily videos. I've zero interest in seeing Corvo's story, as he already had his game.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I can understand that sentiment, but give one of them a shot sometime if you have the spare time. It's more than just the showing Corvo's story, it's also the high-chaos differences and more combat-focused power and gameplay demonstrations. Fun and fast-paced.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bloodflies aren't as big a danger to you, the player, as they seem to be to everyone else in the game. Let's just chalk it up to us being a total badass.

The man-eating rats in the first game were imported from Pandyssia, and these bloodflies are, I think, suspected to come from there too? And it had poison hedgehogs according to one of the logs you find. I guess Pandyssia is basically this world's version of Australia.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's Australia if Australia was a giant continent and not just an island

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I do like all the weird animal life; one of the neater things of the original Thief: The Dark Project was it had burrucks, these giant lizards that belched methane gas at you. Just an unusual type of critter reinforcing that this is a weird setting.

Thank god there are no River Krusks in Karnaca...

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I think Pandyssa might actually be equivalent to South America, specifically the Amazon.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Whatever the specifics of its contents, in shape, size and name it's a straight-up take of Pangaea, which is potentially excellent because after seeing what the hell Dishonored does with whales, blowflies, and rats, I for one am hopeful to see their takes on Dimetrodon, gorgonopsians, and/or other whacky Triassic and Permian bullshit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Today we solve the Crown Killer """mystery."""

Literature

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 30, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I tried taking out the Crown Killer with a number of other abilities, but it seems they're immune to everything. They're downright superpowered.

When I used Emily's Mesmerize on the Crown Killer, she said "No. My mind is altogether different!" and stuff like "No match for the brutal spirit!" Whatever she is, she's stronger than THE VOID.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh yeah, since I finally got my copy of Death of the Outsider (thanks Amazon Prime) I'm going to be streaming some of it later today on my Twitch. Probably around 3-ish EST.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Oh yeah, since I finally got my copy of Death of the Outsider (thanks Amazon Prime) I'm going to be streaming some of it later today on my Twitch. Probably around 3-ish EST.

This stream was fun. Gonna stream more (at least mission 2, maybe more) today. In like, an hour or so? 2PM-ish EST.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will you be putting the streams on YouTube?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When you look at the globes in the game Pandyssia is insanely huge compared to the "empire" or whatever it's called. There's no way there aren't any humans living on that bigass continent.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Will you be putting the streams on YouTube?

Yeah I'll be uploading them after the fact (maybe with some editing too, I spent an insane amount of time wandering around in the second mission and I haven't even beaten the drat thing yet!).

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Hm, watching the latest video, I've gotta agree about the bloodflies. They seem tragically underutilized as a game mechanic. Seems like there's a lot they could have done with the things.

You could make the argument this is a stealth(-optional) FPS, not a survival horror game. Even then there is a big disconnect between how threatening they are to NPCs and how easily the protagonist deals with them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

You could make the argument this is a stealth(-optional) FPS

My blind streams of DotO are excellent evidence of this. :P

But yeah the bloodflies really are an under-utilized mechanic. Even the rat swarms in DH1 were more threatening. I think they even realized this and that's why the nest keepers exist, to give you an actual reason to need to stealth through sections with bloodfly nests.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is Death of the Outsider about as long as Dishonored 2? Does it go to any new parts of the world besides Dunwall and Karnaca?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is Death of the Outsider about as long as Dishonored 2? Does it go to any new parts of the world besides Dunwall and Karnaca?

I've only done up through Mission 2 (out of a total of 6 I think?) so I can only say so much. But I feel that in terms of length it's probably going to be about the same size if not a bit smaller. Mission 2 is massive and is like the size of two missions from DH2. So far it's just been set in Karnaca but they've varied up the environments a tad.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Appendix time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMKGU29Rt8

Also I got around for doing the Literature for this mission.

Also also I'll be streaming more DotO in a little while. Let's see if I can get through mission 3 in one stream.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got some bone charm that sent out shockwaves when I landed from jumps from a certain height and I accidentally killed Hypatia with that by landing next to her without setting off her crown killer mode. Like, it one shotted her.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
Started watching the LP, decided to buy the game instead. Enjoying the hell out of it so far. Thanks, Genocyber!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

I got some bone charm that sent out shockwaves when I landed from jumps from a certain height and I accidentally killed Hypatia with that by landing next to her without setting off her crown killer mode. Like, it one shotted her.

Yeah that bone charm isn't great. It sounds good on paper but in actuality it just tends to cause of a lot of trouble. No idea it could do that, though, that's kind of hilarious.

GenHavoc posted:

Started watching the LP, decided to buy the game instead. Enjoying the hell out of it so far. Thanks, Genocyber!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it!

• Locked thread