Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So I've been trying to find a better solution to the problem of keeping track of all the poo poo that I find online than simply throwing it into chrome's bookmark system. I've found a few candidates (diigo, toby?, raindrop.io) and I have a pinboard account from way back when. I would really like to get some goon opinions and anecdotes before I spend a bunch of time and effort and money on something new that would, knowing my luck, have some small but absolutely fatal shortcoming. Thanks in advance, my internet friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
:stare: How many bookmarks are we talking about?

I have... exactly 9 bookmarks.

Maybe make an excel spreadsheet for your hundreds of bookmarks?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

BluesShaman posted:

:stare: How many bookmarks are we talking about?

I have... exactly 9 bookmarks.

Maybe make an excel spreadsheet for your hundreds of bookmarks?

I've culled it down a lot, but the lot is still maybe 1000 strong.

Subfolders for days.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Shukaro posted:

Subfolders for days.

I've been doing this so far, so if you find something worthwhile I'd be interested to hear about it.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but I use Pocket for all the stuff I plan on reading later (but never do), syncs with my phone too!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
My main gripe with bookmarks is that 90% of them will be useless within 5 or 10 years anyways. Is there anything that archives a copy of the pages that you bookmark?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Oh jeez, bookmarks are my jam. I have about 7K right now - I bookmark nearly everything I read online.

As one bookmark hoarder to another, trust me when I say that browser bookmarking is a waste of time! Virtually every bookmark manager uses tags instead of folders, it's the only sane way to manage more than a few hundred links.

So far as services go, it depends what features are important to you. These are my must-haves:
- Easy to save links - automatically fills in page title/description, auto-completes tags
- Saves pages so I can view them if the site shuts down
- Can search tags, description, and full page text, and lets me decide which of these fields to use for each search
- Interface is responsive and information-dense: no pictures or video previews, just text links
- My bookmarks and activity are private
- I can retrieve all my data in an open format whenever I want

I've used Pinboard for the last 6 years and like it a lot. It's not the most feature-rich service - I'd like a better way to manage my tags and a smarter search, for a start - but I haven't found anything else that does what I want as well as Pinboard. It costs $25/yr for page archiving but that's well worth it for me.

So ultimately it depends on how you use your bookmarks. A few other considerations:

Automatic bookmarking
Modern bookmark managers should support some way of reading in data from an external service, either directly or through IFTTT/Zapier. Lots of people on Pinboard auto-bookmark their Twitter favourites, for example. If you're looking at a bookmarker that doesn't offer even rudimentary integration with other services, I would avoid it because it's probably not very well supported.

Recommendation features
Do you want to see sites you might like based on your other bookmarks? Pinboard won't do this, but you can follow users' public feeds, see the most popular new links, or search across all public bookmarks. I actually really enjoy this because there's a huge contingent of fanfiction readers & writers on the site and it's fun going through the weird poo poo they save.

Interface
Some people really want a visual overview of their links with favicons, thumbnails, video previews, etc. If you are like that then Pinboard (mildly nsfw text) would be terrible but Raindrop might be nice??

Security
It's probably a dead horse these days, but just remember that you can't control what any web service does with your data once you put it there and bookmarks can give away more personal information than most people would think. Free services have little incentive to follow rigorous security and user privacy practices, so you are just stuck hoping they are competent and ethical. I trust Pinboard more than most services to at least try to keep my data secure (it's a paid service and the owner is a vocal privacy advocate) but there are obviously no guarantees.

I could go on about bookmarks and organisational poo poo for days so I'll stop here! Please post if you end up trying out any other bookmark managers; it's been a while since I actively looked for alternatives to Pinboard so I'm keen to see what else is out there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I spent years trying to find something I was happy with. Ended up stumbling across http://www.frech.ch/online-bookmarks/ It's not been updated for a long time so I run it behind https+Apache authentication to keep away prying eyes. At some point I'll get around the hacking it to add a few of the extra features I'd like.

• Locked thread