Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Staff Picks is back because the summer is over, travelling is done and I'm going to do this more regularly again even though nobody ever posts in them. This week's selection:

Westworld - 1973

Directed by: Michael Crichton
Written by: Michael Crichton
Cinematography by: Gene Polito
IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/

"A robot malfunction creates havoc and terror for unsuspecting vacationers at a futuristic, adult-themed amusement park."

It's worth remembering that before the dawn of Prestige TV Westworld it was actually cool. Michael Crichton's feature directorial debut, it's a wonderfully shot 70s sci-fi thriller. The set design is rad and it has some early examples of the "digital eye" effects, influencing the way countless people thought about a computer's vision before Terminator. I don't know where you can find it streaming but google it. And welcome back to Staff Picks!!

---------------------------
From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor
April 20th, 2017: Parallax View
April 27th, 2017: Right Now, Wrong Then
May 02th 2017: Stalker
May 12th 2017: White God
May 19th, 2017: Red Beard
June 1st, 2017: The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant
June 18th, 2017: Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer/The Matrix Summer Special
July 31st, 2017: Summer Under the Stars (Month Long Special)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Futureworld sucked

Westworld bestworld

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
This movie, and the soundtrack, are killer. Highly recommend it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Futureworld sucked

Westworld bestworld

I've never seen futureworld...that's a bummer

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the final 30 minutes of just being relentlessly pursued by a untiring robot is one of my favourite chase scenes ever

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
I first saw this at 13 and I've fantasized my whole life about going to different worlds as a tourist and inhabiting them for a little while. I think it's one of the top 5 concepts in sci-fi film history and it's really a great movie. Watch it!

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Can you even imagine Spongebob world?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

I've never seen futureworld...that's a bummer

It's pretty disappointing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
What if it had been a crossover with The Vvitch called VVitchvvorld

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has anybody seen anything else Crichton directed? I was surprised in my surface level research for making these that he had like a decade long career as a director

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Has anybody seen anything else Crichton directed? I was surprised in my surface level research for making these that he had like a decade long career as a director

he didnt direct it but im a fan of jurassic park, look it up if you get the chance

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

In Training posted:

train robbery is ok and physical evidence stinks

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

he didnt direct it but im a fan of jurassic park, look it up if you get the chance

Nice troll, but, I've seen countless movies, to the point where I made "watching movies" my job, but, as a child, and still to this day, the scene where the velociraptors run into the reflection in the kitchen cabinet door, affects me deeply.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ol yeller posted:

Can you even imagine Spongebob world?

Pickle Rick world

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Liquid Drink posted:

Pickle Rick world

:stare:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Larrys World

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Westworld owns, I had it on vhs back in the day

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

John reminds me of Christian Bale facially, does anyone else see that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Watching this now, just about 10 minutes in. It was cool when doing prop based effects was really freaking expensive so if the studio was going to spend a bunch of money making a weird looking hovercraft, they needed to make it worth it. So theres a 4 minute scene of these guys riding a hovercraft from like 15 angles.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This movie has really good sci fi gobbledegook chatter. Big fan of that style of white noise room tone

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lmfao at this dialogue https://my.mixtape.moe/vxtedi.webm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a neat touch that after the robots go haywire, all the different world musical motifs have little drum loops and synth bass in them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a 16 minute stretch in the third act of this movie thats completely wordless. Very weird vibes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Screenies: http://imgur.com/gallery/CxGqJ

My favorite repeated images were all the ridiculous screens the park operatives were looking at. Like they would be seeing this:

and mumbling like, Temperature in Sector 4 is steady, bring up Lunch Cycles on the FOuntain Bots, etc. lol.

also robo yul brenner's first person hunting vision is really cool

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ive just added to my hit list

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

good insights BoobyTitty

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

In Training posted:

Screenies: http://imgur.com/gallery/CxGqJ

My favorite repeated images were all the ridiculous screens the park operatives were looking at. Like they would be seeing this:

and mumbling like, Temperature in Sector 4 is steady, bring up Lunch Cycles on the FOuntain Bots, etc. lol.

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This scene:

Is a staff meeting where one of the doctors is sharing a graph of infection rates. That's just a bunch of random dots, and everyone is noddin thoughtfully at his explanation. I really love stuff like this, where the design doesn't have to reflect data, since actual graphical design is so slavish to it. When art direction staff can play with it, it's neat to see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

New thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834093

• Locked thread