Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i have like 500 hours in ds2 and ds2 scholar and like 80% of that is pvp

also dark souls 2 had a true ng+ with new enemies and gear all over the place and I was really pissed that wasnt in 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Laying all the traps in the rat covenant area and running across the brides back and forth until they had to chase you

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Oh Long Johnson posted:

Scraping Spear and the acid cloud spell in Demon's Souls

having 99 near instant full heals at all times

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

dark souls pvp is for cuckolds frankly

lmao i think the idea of 1v1 honor duels in a game where lag warps people around all the time is dumb as hell but the absolute chaos of bell/ratbros in 2 was amazing, scholar upped the playercount too

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

what's the current best bet for a PC controller? i would need to buy one to play DS3.

360 pads fine

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i was fooling around with KB+M just now since my controller won't be here for a few days, and lol, that's tough

i remember it being outright broken without dsfix, they did not care lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

that's fine, but i've played the series over and over for hundreds of hours and have no desire to stop.

same. i need to replay dark souls 1.

id really like to replay demons, i pray they rerelease it somehow

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e quote is not edit

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i bought a PS3 basically as a demon's souls machine, tbh

i only had demon souls on my ps3 until dark souls came out, and then once the pc version released i sold the ps3 lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the other souls games were far more restrictive with your progress, for better and worse (e: you couldnt dart to an OP magic sword in the first hour of the game) but drat it felt good to rerun it and crush a game that initially had me pulling my hair out

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

demons threw a lot of weird poo poo at you that always kept you off balance. dark souls games are way more conventional (especially 3). hell the only regular feeling levels in des were 1-1, 1-3 and 1-4 with a normal enemies like knights, archers and bigger scarier knights.

everything else was like a series of different nightmares

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

"hey we need 2 more enemy types for this level"
"how about a big armored humanoid enemy with infinite poise and a 0 point turn smash attack that has tracking"
"ah!"

this is all of ds2

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

streaming dark souls 1 and i forgot how much dumb awful poo poo there is in the early bits of the game lol. it doesnt really take off and earn its name until sen's fortress

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

IIRC they planned those areas to be co-op specific, but (and i'm hugely surprised by this) From completely hosed up implementing an online element.

if you didn't own the DLC you could leave your summon sign outside the big "you must pay 10 dollars to continue" gate and you could EXCLUSIVELY play the insanely bad coop levels that are just clusterfucks of enemies and bad bosses

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

They consciously put PS1 era loading fog into their game and also didn't design a level. Absolute genius

the deers also have 100% tracking extendo hitbox attacks that they spam while theyre also casting spells that shoot homing million damage bolts at you and stuff, all of the best aspects of souls enemy design

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

This guy just died to the minotaur demon inlower undeadburg like a newb

i died only once

in the first 2 hours there were multiple ds2 style 'ambushes' that were just enemy spam, 2 really bad boss fights, the capra demon and moonlight butterfly, pretty ridiculous newbie crusher traps everywhere

HolePisser1982 posted:

People rag on them, but demon ruins and lost izalith are both cool, in my opinion

i love big empty flat plains that glow and hurt my eyes and make a constant annoying fart sound and they just copy and paste one enemy over and over everywhere at random, dark souls 1 is flawless

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Captain we are detecting large quantities of cuckoldry in this section

lmao sorry that youre nostalgiacucked, there are a lot of brilliant parts in this game but theres also a lot of awkward stuff that's easy to forget

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

It's so obvious whenever you post about a game on tilt lol.

i obliterated everything, streamwatchers can confirm. there are lovely awkward parts in dark souls 1 lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

idk i just think of the series as 3d castlevania, bloodborne and ds3 especially feel that way. i hated every gimmick boss like moonlight butterfly, ceaseless, chaos bed etc. but i love all the fairly normal stuff like O&S (i still dont think this boss has been topped in the series), im just not a fan of the weird specific things that's just waiting around for patterns.

moonlight is cool looking at least yeah, and i love the music. capra demon is just a gatcha though lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pc online is dead as doornails but maybe ps3 isnt

actually the floor was lit up like a christmas tree and i almost got invaded several times but i think something fell through. it's amazing DS1 is still so popular.

are the demons servers actually down?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

You get rewarded with humanities for invasion kills, right? Would it be possible to do the darkwraiths and still open the spider lady gate to save Solaire?

i think solaire only goes crazy if you go into izalith the normal way, you can do whatever you want outside of that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Maiden Astrea is the most feelsy boss in the series

agreed

also i loving LOVE bloodborne. god drat. what a game. everytime i boot it up its a magical experience, even the UI is really nice to swim through.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

i play 2 builds. one is 40 str and the other is 40 dex lol

i play 1 build across every souls game and its 50-60 strength with some faith in there

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/bn03 streaming DS1 rn

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

chaos witch is such an awesome boss and has great music. also dark souls 1 really hides its bonfires and makes them scarce and it feels so good to find them and be able to heal up, in ds3 and bloodborne the bonfire/lamps and shortcuts are always in kind of expected places and every boss gives you a bonus rest spot

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I went through 2-2 wondering the entire time when I was going to get a bloodborne-style shortcut to go back to the beginning and started freaking out when I realized I had to repeat the entire level if I died

hahaha yes, the feeling of actually having progress and a full purse of souls on the line is a tension i've forgotten..in ds3 youre always 20 seconds away from a checkpoint lol

HolePisser1982 posted:

i still wonder about that scrapped mechanic in ds3 where you would have used enemies to embed a coiled sword through to make bonfires. it could have been cool for challenge runs

woah ive never heard of this, so you wouldve had a finite number of bonfires you could keep at a time? that wouldve been interesting for a kind of hard mode yeah

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

the uploader sanadsk is awesome if you havent seen his videos. the cut content in souls games is always mindblowing

im watching his vids at work, a lot of interesting things were cut from ds1

was thinking about how stiff and slow you feel in dark souls 1 compared to 3/BB, but it also helps the tension. since your options aren't so flexible and you don't feel as in control and powerful any fight can be scary, especially when you're constantly forced to fight in narrow hallways, near death pits etc., they never want you to feel comfortable past the tutorial bits.

also it feels like you take WAY more damage in this compared to ds3, and estus completely locks you in place and is a lot slower so you're really encouraged to play carefully and take any threat very seriously.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

You've killed Solaire? He wasn't one of our targets...

lolol

In Training posted:

New wrinkle but im rolling with it:

they really neutered curse in 2 and 3, it is terrifyingly fast in this game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

I was so mad I got cursed since it's been ages since it's happened to me and I accidentally fell down one of the depths pits and felt like a moron

it probably hasnt happened to me since my very first play through lol. but drat i came close yesterday.

im streaming more ds1 in like an hour, going to sens fortress very soon!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.twitch.tv/bn03 starting the stream

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lmfaooo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

started from the bottom now we're at gwynevere. im gonna do the painting next then start the final act of the game, hunting the lords

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

oh boy...it probably wont even matter at that point anyway. heres me getting tilted by the iron golem https://clips.twitch.tv/ObservantGiftedDonutWutFace

and heres me falling prey to the tilt https://clips.twitch.tv/StylishHappyPotatoStoneLightning

hahaha

im gonna stream myself in maybe an hour, probably gonna do ghosttown first

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

going up https://go.twitch.tv/bn03

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 29, 2017

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

Be sure to spend 500 arrows shooting the drake tail so you can have a weapon you will use for another hour before finding a better one

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

got a lot done on the stream, cleared the forest, four kings, all of the catacombs and Nito. everything is getting loving obliterated by the +15 serpent sword and I feel really bad for using it now lol the game really does become kind of a joke if you know where the key upgrades are

anyway, gonna do izalith next which im totally dreading, then the archives which is like my favorite part of the base game, then off to the DLC

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

met a lot of these cuties just minutes ago

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i'm considering hex editing in 500 humanity so i don't have to kill rats for 3 hours

i would just put up with lavabuttland at that point. rip solaire but im getting his armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

beat dark souls 1 and the DLC. as much as I feel like just doing NG+ cause i love this game I need to try things I haven't beaten a million times lol