Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this is going to be the FromSoft game that i beat, if it kills me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

amelia was the difficulty wall i ended up stopping at, mostly because that was the point at which i couldn't game without being interrupted pretty constantly, even at night. my kids are probably old enough that i could give it another go, but i feel like i'd have to start over from the beginning at this point.

i was also a saw spear player but every weapon is a goomba stomp in bloodborne once you get the timing down. i think if i do it over, i'll switch up weapons.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

you should definitely restart and try again

yeah, i know. it's tough. there's so much yakuza to play and i gotta wait until like 8 PM before i can even start, and that's on the nights without the zoom calls. also i kind of want to start monster hunter. there are too many good video games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

ooh ee ooh ah ah

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i'm glad that i started w/ bloodborne because i like how it pushes you to be aggressive instead of circle strafing or dodge-rolling or w/e. it takes a minute to get used to because so many video games are about standing far away and dodging projectiles while you learn enemy attack patterns, but once you get it, every hit feels like a goomba stomp. it's one of the few games i can think of where, when you start wrecking things, it doesn't feel like it's because you put points into something, you just got good. it also means the difficulty spikes feel fair. it's hard to get tilted even when you're on your tenth try with something because you're just like "drat. that dude is good."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

extremebuff posted:

the butt avi is confusing me i keep thinking lyle is doing a jekyll & hyde bit

you can tell a Lyle post by its easy markers.

Lyle only says good things about a game if his post ends with "bye," that's his version of the nervous lol. sometimes instead he says you're playing the game wrong and ends with "die!" but that's only for games he truly loves.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

ultimately there are so many secret damage bonuses and multipliers that you should never trust the number on the stat page to tell you if a weapon is good or not. there are weapons with movesets so insanely good that they easily outclass weapons with higher base damage

lol awesome. i guess this why some weapons always "felt" better to use no matter what the status screen says. BB really does force you to play it to learn it. i was really frustrated with it at first but it owns, actually.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

amelia was where i ended up having to stop in my first run. at the time i had to take such long breaks in between sessions that it felt like i was relearning it every time i picked it up. right after father gascoigne was probably my favorite part of the game. maybe after yakuza 4 i'll take a yakuza break and go back to BB, this thread is making me miss it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wtf rallying is one of the greatest goomba stomps ever lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

gamer fatigue is definitely a thing. marathoning the souls games seems like a lot to me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

guy looking up from 5 plates of chicken bones, shrimp tails, and biscuit crumbs: “actually it’s a little uninspired and derivative at this point, don’t you think?”

If I do a dodge roll here
And if I Use the rifle spear
And if I play through all five games will you just yawn and say
"Thanks, I've seen it"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this is like watching someone run the boston marathon and decide it's boring at around mile 23 and just walk away.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hizke posted:

This was the wrong thread lol

gently caress it. funnier this way.

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the previous tenant in my apartment was named Gascoigne so every time I get mail for him I think of when I finally beat him, it owns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I lost count at how many times Amelia kicked my rear end

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sounds epic, simply simon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kongming posted:

A head with a mouth? :stare: And I was planning on sleeping tonight.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Ohhh... soul memory this, soul memory that, for crying out loud... *slow cough leading into bitter chuckle* your father was a saint. He never needed soul memory when he was upgrading his chaos Zweihander... *long pause, hacking, spitting noises* I wish the curse would take me now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Every bb boss is unique but 90% of them are total pushovers you'll beat flush or after 2 or 3 tries maybe.

:stare:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's real simple. if one king spawns every other day, there will be 8 kings in two weeks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

he's sick in the loving head

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

new Fromsoft employee wakes up halfway submerged, lungs burning, and sees Miyazaki in the distance shrugging apologetically

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mask of comedy: Oh, didn't want to use a guide? Enjoy wasting your time.
*spins around*
Mask of tragedy: people just don't like Lost Izaleth because they listen to YouTube guides, like noobs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

simon, it snowing where you are? :D

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My name is Jonas
I strafe around the wheel
S parameter bonus
I read the wiki, know the deal

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

overall, breath of the wild does a really incredible job of making it feel like you're leveling up without ever actually leveling up or picking stuff from skill trees or putting points into things or whatever. everything you do to get better at the game feels organic instead of checking boxes on a spreadsheet. basically all you pick is which category of weapons you get more of from the seeds and whether you get more stamina or hearts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Armor upgrades too, which is one area that could be improved. It felt like attacks were always doing either a quarter heart or ten of them with no in-between.

ah, yeah. this is a completionist problem but i the armor upgrades also felt like the only place where you had to farm things (mainly dragon parts). it's probably the weakest part of the game and it feels like it's mostly there to give you something to do with all the monster parts. i think i would have preferred if they used them more for recipes instead of making most of them just make dud food.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

b_d posted:

monster parts don't make food ever, but they always make elixirs.

yeah, but both the elixirs and the food recipes feel like they could have been fleshed out a little more. it never really feels like final fantasy 15 where you're making actual meals or discovering weird combinations. link puts a lot of work into his cooking and mixing and he deserves a gerudo margarita.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hizke posted:

Click through on that post.

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

durians smell like stinky poo poo. no bueno.

at some point my son saw the breath of the wild "Binging with Babish" episode and it's one of his favorite short videos because he loves to laugh while babish chokes and sputters at the durian stench, laments that after eating a bite of it he can't smell anything, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah in the babish video he decides to use a little bit of it to make the "monster cake" and says that the tiny bit he used overpowers the taste of everything else and basically marks his recipe as a fail. i've seen it enough times at this point that whenever durians come up, i hear him saying "it tastes like..... fireworks? and i don't mean like the fourth of july, i mean like... when you set off fireworks."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Simply Simon posted:

there should be a quest and map marker mod on nexus, I strongly recommend that one for the first playthrough

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

someone post the Skyrim map marker pointing to Games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

uh-huh. fascinating…

lmao. saw this like five minutes before i saw why and started to get very nervous that elden ring would have some kind of horrible egg thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

extremebuff posted:

jesus christ lmfao