Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I read this whole thread and it is a treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Spending time mapping out your setting and its conceits so that you can write an internally consistent work over a long period: good

Copypasting your notes into a novel: bad

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

"vomit zombies."

Those suck but that's like tossing out blindsight entirely because VAMPIRES

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

There is a pivotal scene where the narrator is attacked by the vampire ostensibly to restore his empathy through violence, a rather forced attempt at character development. The narrator responds by sulking for weeks and the rest of the crew stand around slackjawed doing nothing. And then I guess he has empathy and can complete his mission? Apparently all it takes to fix having half a brain is to get knifed by a vampire.

I didn't quite get the stuff with the narrator having visions of the aliens but that's ok. The central conceit of "sentience is bad for long term fitness" is communicated, Watts isn't subtle about it. As mentioned the part where they go to the alien ship is spooky and has great imagery.

tl;dr Blindsight is a book carrying about five novels's worth of ideas, that sacrifices character development and plot coherence to shove in yet more ideas, none of which are fully explored or handled well.

I read it a few weeks ago so it's fresh in my mind. At least the writing wasn't too bad, mostly.

I finished it yesterday and enjoyed it... A couple things:

Siri's "visions" are related to his function on the ship/his job, he absorbs information and develops an intuitive "understanding" of how systems work, whether they're people, machines or societies. Because the scramblers were part of the "machinery" of the entire object he was deducing their forms from observing the architecture and actions of Rorschach. Cunningham explicitly says this towards the end.

I got something very different from the attack on Siri as well, Sarasti wasn't trying to "teach him empathy," and that wouldn't even make sense as a goal for him, Sarasti is a vampire and ha no empathy and he had also already figured out that Rorschach was intelligent but nonsentient, empathy would be useless. He was trying to get Siri to "think" like the Rorschach, to engage his intellect and synthesis without consciousness, to turn off the "existence meter" the Szpindel talks about at the beginning, because without being able to do so he won't be able to fully comprehend the Rorschach and its threat or provide a full and useful report to Earth.

I totally agree with your point about it being crammed to the gills with both ideas and masturbatory science jargon... When I read that in your post i thought of the scene when Siri's researching the potential effects from going into the ship and it just infodumps like 50 different I presume real, because otherwise it's twice as pointless psychoses.

Anyways I'm also just a dumb nerd who wishes I paid more attention in lit classes so I could contribute more meaningfully to this wonderful thread

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Karia posted:

I'm not sure if Sanderson has ever been aroused or excited in his life. The bigger question is whether he's awake.

Is his prose the work of a nonsentient intelligence?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Link to the book about dinosaurs fighting in medieval coach inns plx

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
The description of it may suck but the actual 1000 year breeding programs are one of the things that really drive home how hosed up the "Hero Didnt Win" setting of Mistborn is. I was sold on first reading the book when someone described it as "frodo keeps the ring."

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i want to make it clear that i hate not only this post and all of the ideas contained therein but also you, personally, as a human being

~whatever.you.like.TMI.mp3~

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

rape as character development bad, but rape as worldbuilding... good?

Yeah that's the exact thing I said, when I wrote "hosed up" I actually meant "good"

Anyway gonna go watch The 100 now, which, while terrible, has no rapes

Edit: yet

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 10, 2019

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Well yeah that's why I read it (first Sanderson)

I read Thomas covenant for similar reasons

I blame goons

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 10, 2019

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ok well for the records I think centuries long eugenics programs are bad and bransans writing of them is also bad and if that means to you that I think they are good ok sure whatever.

Also if me thinking they are bad is good I'm fine w that too

chernobyl kinsman posted:

(the similar reasons are rape)

yeah I didn't care for the rape. It did make Thomas a far more complex character than every one in bransans oeuvre combined tho (but still bad).

I just like genre fantasy dystopias I guess and there aren't a shitload of them I know of

avshalemon posted:

it really baffles me that sanderson's writing is so bad when he does so much of it. like you think the sheer weight of all that practice would force him to develop some kind of spark or voice or poetic flair, but somehow the more he writes the more flat and mechanical it seems to become

As surprising as it is, the further back you go, the worse it gets

Mormobot

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 10, 2019

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

This is the (completely correct) post that you've been responding to:

Please stop equivocating. You think that rape as worldbuilding is good.

I think that a world that has institutionalized rape is bad. It's not the most subtle or most vociferous way to tell you the world is bad. In Mistborn it is a very heavy-handed way to tell you that the world is hosed to pieces and ruled by the corrupt. I liked that Mistborn takes place in a world that is basically Ruined. I didnt love reading about every element of it but it serves a narrative purpose beyond "lol rape", and a centuries long eugenics scheme is pretty monstrous, same as robot Hitler from the space navy books. Do you also think the Tleilaxu solely mean "rape is good worldbuilding?"

I liked my blindsight derail a lot more stop yelling rape at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Counterpoint: his condemnation of an increasingly repetitive genre was increasingly repetitive