Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yo, is Americorps VISTA good to join? They sound cool but I'm looking for a catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm always poor, but I already live with family, and I'm loving sick of doing jobs that don't help people. I'm just now wrapping up a couple months of seasonal work at an Amazon warehouse and I feel used and worthless, but if I can handle Amazon in December then I can do better than Amazon, so gently caress them and gently caress poverty and hello VISTA, if they'll have me.

Yeah, I just found out this evening that repubs hate it. My aunt, a tireless sharer of conservative Facebook horseshit, has just told me Americorps and the Peace Corps are both not helping anyone, really, and I should stay at Amazon. I told her I didn't want to argue about it, then looked up what republicans think of this kind of thing when I got home. I was hoping it'd be something better than "it's unhelpful to help people," but the Google link titles came from places like the Cato Institute so I stopped caring. I decided to just ask goons, because I knew some of you would have direct experience.

And I appreciate the warning on the lovely wages. Not everyone could live with that. But I've got the privilege to keep me from being homeless, and if I can use that to do something actually helpful then I'd love to. The only question at this point is whether I'm qualified for any available position.

How do they feel about epilepsy? It took Amazon two months to wear me down enough to give me a seizure, so I know I can handle stress and exhaustion, but I can see how that'd be a dealbreaker anyway.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 2, 2018

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In an American History class last year, I was taught some things that didn't pass my smell test, but I'm not sure how to correct them because I don't know poo poo. I'm particularly looking for book recs to address the following arguments my prof made:

1. The Great Depression could have been prevented, or at least softened, if employers had been freer to downsize and/or lower workers' wages as they needed.
2. MLK is a polarizing figure even now among historians. Regardless, it's likely he did more for the civil rights movement through his death than anything he did in life.
3. Strikes held by unskilled laborers tend to be less effective than by skilled workers because unskilled workers are much more replaceable.

The third one is the only one I think is vaguely probable, but I don't have the education to prove anything either way. In fact, since I've got doubts about that professor in general, is there a textbook or two that I can pick up that'll help me learn about anything he might have distorted or left out?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is fascinating. Thanks, all.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"Still planning to not bulldoze the Native American reservations, right?"
"Kimosabe potluck gutentag."

Zinke never said yes. Maybe that was the master plan here? :v:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I would vote for Onion Biden over any other American tbh. I'm so sick of voting for people without cool arrest records.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Let's sue a nation! They'll run out of money before we do. Wait, no, the opposite.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
voiding but I don't feel any better

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ague Proof posted:

Who is Botha? Is he related to Brady C. Olson?

Running mate. The two are in for a long and hard campaign and it might get hairy in a couple places, but we can be confident he'll thrust his way into the oval office with a spray of ejaculate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

tl;dr: human extinction, also extinction of ants and bees and probably all life

By hunger they definitely meant the very drive to eat anything at all, and by war they definitely meant the human capacity to resist difficult situations. What other reading could there be of that sentence? You nerd.

Or are you doing a satire? Is this about how neoliberals assume any motivation for working short of self-preservation/precarity will cause society to collapse?

• Locked thread