Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
This past week and today have had a wave of potential congressional retirements.

Many of them are in safe seats, but the less incumbency there is in 2018 the more uncertain the results could be.

There's a bunch of news out today about potential Senate retirements:

:siren: Senator Mitt Romney and Senator Kid Rock will be a thing in 2018. :siren:

Senate

Orin Hatch (R-UT)

Reports say that Hatch plans to retire and Mitt Romney will run for his Senate seat in Utah.

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/907233581763907590

Bob Corker (R-TN)

Says he is considering retirement and will make an announcement. Politico says it is "likely" that he retires.

Tom Carper (D-DE)

Usually one of the strongest fundraisers in the Senate, but only has $30,000 in his account.

Won't commit to running again and will "speak to the boss (my wife) and let you know at the start of next year about where the future takes me."

Diane Feinstein (D-CA)

Husband is ill, she is in her 80's, won't commit to running again and will make an announcement "after determining the needs" of her family.

Robert Menendez (D-NJ)

Going to be a forced retirement if he is convicted in his criminal trial.

Bernie Sanders (I-VT)

Old. Won't commit to re-election, but says he is leaning towards running again.

quote:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who ran a surprisingly strong campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination last year, said he hasn’t made a decision whether to run. “But everything being equal, I think I probably will, yes,” Sanders added in a recent interview.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
That article makes a little bit of a leap from what the data says, though.

The actual report says that there were tons of subprime borrowers and a large increase in the number of households with sub-prime loans.

It says that after 2006, when the market had already been massively expanding and inflating for over half a decade, that lots of investors (who were mostly middle-class to upper-middle class people) jumped in at the height of the bubble and helped to further expand it.

It also conflates the stock market collapse with the housing market collapse.

It's not wrong, per se, but there is a bit of a "correlation does not equal causation" problem with the conclusion. There was no real reason to assume that sub-prime loan trend from pre-2006 wasn't going to continue post-2006 if other people hadn't gotten in.

The sub-prime loan expansion and dramatic increase in potential buyers was also part of the cause for rising house prices that led to the massive amount of people buying into the bubble at the top.

It's an ouroboros of bad decisions.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
What is the logic of Booker voting against one reimportation amendment and for another one in the same day if he was voting against the first one to send a message?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Spun Dog posted:

Right after the crash there were a ton of articles blaming loan recipients who "Should have known better." This sounds like just another scapegoat for the Wall St. fucks who did the real damage.

Even the most financially-illiterate person should probably have known that something was up when they were denied by every bank for any traditional mortgage, but offered a $425,000 mortgage with 3% down on a $30,000 a year salary.

How some of those loans were ever approved is beyond belief.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Spun Dog posted:

The common talking point at the time was that the market will only ever go up from here, so you can't possibly lose money.

Yes, that's why people were willingly doing it.

I was just saying that 90% of the blame lies with the lenders and financial institutions, but most people who bought into it with the expectation that they would flip their house or that housing can only ever go up were not blameless.

People saw a bubble and thought they could get in and make a ton of money without ever putting down any of their own money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Since we are apparently doing the Democrats in this thread, here's some interesting quotes from Cory Booker on The Ezra Klein Show podcast.

quote:

The motto in my office is this: "In God we trust. But for everyone else, show me the data"

There is no reasonable data that shows anything other than single-payer healthcare as the best method of managing healthcare costs and outcomes. Not a perfect method, but the best method.

quote:

We need everyone in the healthcare system. Keeping illegal immigrants out of any new single-payer system is just politics. There is no reason to sort human beings into piles of those "deserving" healthcare and those that are "undeserving," except to play politics by preying on our basest instincts. There shouldn't be illegal immigrants. We need comprehensive immigration reform, but the "problem" of illegal immigrants' healthcare is an immigration problem and not a healthcare policy problem.

quote:

I know you agree with me on this, because I listen to your podcast [laughs], but it's like our criminal justice system. We've become this retribution culture. And... I worry about this because, I've been involved for three years now trying to reform the criminal justice system, and what we all talk about is "non-violent offenders, non-violent offenders, non-violent offenders..." But, we as a country need to come to grips with the fact that there are a lot of people who are in jail for far too long that are violent offenders as well. But for some reason, that is something that you are not allowed to have a conversation about. There is almost a... sickness in the way we are encouraged to think about these people and the casualness with which we accept violence against their person. We as a country are often too obsessed with violence and retribution.

quote:

Single-payer is the end of the road. The question is how we get there. I think that our political system and our employer-provided healthcare system will resist these changes, but they will come. The most likely outcome is probably going to be a "pincer maneuver" of Medicare or Medicaid; slowly decreasing the eligibility age down from 65 and up from children until we get everyone. That is probably the best way to do it. We will probably need to make sacrifices for the sake of political convenience or preserving the stability of people's plans to avoid spooking the general public. However, that doesn't mean that we accept half-measures on outcomes.

quote:

In education, many countries are "Out-Americaning" us here in America. The decline in quality outcomes from the United States education system tracks, it's almost shocking how close it tracks, to the decline of public investment in our universities and our youth. You can look at the massive economic benefits, the dollars and cents, that come from investing in universal pre-school and funding our public universities. Funding our public universities means funding our general and non-specific, maybe even non-commercial, research. It also means funding options to reduce the debt burden our students are graduating with. Again, look at the data, students in the US with large debt loads are driven to certain careers or they slowly dig themselves out of their debt burden overtime. That's money they aren't spending on homes, food, or other more useful sectors of the American economy.

quote:

I love Hillary Clinton and I think that a lot of the... can I just call it crap? I think so - that was said about her during the campaign was ridiculous. Before she even thought about politics, the first thing she did was get into law for poor children. The idea that she has always been on the lookout for only herself or her corporate donors denigrates the work she did for those kids. It also hurts because those organizations aren't acknowledged.

That said, there is one major thing that I think she did wrong in the campaign. And... and... I don't want to, uh, give a nod to Donald Trump, but we have a lot of work to do in getting the USA back on top of, not just economic but personal well-being, indices that matter. But somebody saying, "Let's make America great again" and the response being "America already is great!" is... I think mistaken. People don't feel connected to their country or their community. Life expectancy in our nation is declining, precipitously in some cases, in major sections of the population. Telling them that America already is great feels, to them, like you are invalidating their feelings. Beyond the fact that the data says that, in some areas and for some populations, that just isn't true.

quote:

I've heard every politician I know, Republican and Democrat, talk about the middle class. But, even my good friend Elizabeth Warren, they don't really talk about the poor. When was the last time you heard a politician or a presidential speech that mentioned their new plan to help the poor? The people where I live, and I still live in the same house in Newark that I've been living in for 14 years, aren't kidding themselves about what class they belong to. And I... and I hear people say, "There aren't classes in America!" But tell that to people from Newark. Even their own schools were taken from them. I was the Mayor, the Mayor of a major US city, and I was elected with a - I'm gonna do Trump now - a huge percentage of the vote. But it was, mostly white, politicians in Trenton and Chris Christie who controlled their schools. They weren't kidding themselves. When they heard people talking about their new plans for students and the middle class, they knew that people weren't talking to them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

So NYC is having a primary voting today.

LOL if DeBlassio loses because whites got their feefees hurt.

DeBlasio is ahead by double-digits in all the primary polls. His approval has tanked, though. He's still in the positive, but it is close to 50/50 instead of the 70/30 he used to be at.

Sal (his primary challenger) is literally running on a campaign of "I will do everything that DeBlasio does, but I will manage it better and be nicer to cops."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Rod Blagojevich is giving interviews from prison for some reason. Still just as clueless and hilarious as he was before.

quote:

Extreme heat, drenched in sweat, with no air movement, scores of angry men, snoring and other bad, unpleasant sounds—I remember moaning to myself, ‘How the “f” did I end up here? What happened?

Maybe I had too much pride. I know I could’ve been more humble. I could’ve been less combative. I still believe, ultimately, we’ll prevail.

quote:

He said his time behind bars “has put me closer to God.”

quote:

His lawyers argued that his stint as the singer of the Jailhouse Rockers was evidence of his changed character. The band had a 21-song setlist, according to the AP, and broke up because the guitarist was released.

quote:

“When I first came to prison, there was a notoriety to me,” Blagojevich says. His soon-to-be fellow inmates watched his arrival live on CNN. In the cash-free economy of prison, Blagojevich’s celebrity was currency. During his first few weeks, his ID card kept getting stolen. “They thought they could sell ’em for something, but it was loving worthless.” Blagojevich says.

quote:

A reporter asked him to describe his experience in federal prison. "There’s lots of room for shenanigans,” he says.

quote:

My jurisdiction was once all of the State of Illinois. Now I’ve got two hallways to clean,” he says. “I feel like I was a very good governor, and now I feel like I’m doing a pretty good job on those floors.” He recalls that his first job, at age 9, was as a shoeshine boy. “I was making more money then than I’m making as a 60-year-old former governor with a college degree and a law degree. Does that make any sense?"

quote:

In one of our phone calls, Blagojevich tells me how a correctional officer had chewed him out a few days earlier in the prison gym: “I was wearing a cutoff T-shirt, you know, like one of those muscle shirts, and he yelled at me, ‘You can’t wear that! Get out of here!’ And I said, ‘I’m in the gym.’ He said, ‘Get out of here!’ And I just walked away, but I muttered to myself, ‘Boy, if I ever get that power back …’ Then I caught myself, and I was like, ‘No, there’s no lesson in that. The guy’s doing his job.’ ”

quote:

Blagojevich has come to savor the small acts of kindness. On his first day, he tells me, a group of inmates presented him with the big-house version of a welcome basket. “They took up a collection and put together a gift bag and gave me a whole bunch of different stuff that I would need before I had a chance to go to the commissary.” Among the items were coffee, a couple of plastic mugs, and a toothbrush. “It was really kind of touching. You know, these are big, tough guys, drug dealers and gangbangers and bank robbers—they have so little, right?—and it’s kind of a sweet thing that they did, welcoming you to their world. I've always been blessed to have that effect on people."

quote:

“I’ve had a chance in prison over these many years to get closer, stronger in my faith,” says Blagojevich, once an altar boy at his Serbian Orthodox church. “The lessons from the Bible and scripture have been very helpful to me. It’s strengthened my strength."

quote:

In prison, nearly everyone has a nickname. “In my housing unit alone,” Blagojevich says, “there was Smelly, Socks, Sharkey, V, Mr. B, and Boo.” Blagojevich’s nickname? Gov, naturally.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
This is the most "Local News Headline + Photo" thing I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/WNEP/status/907817378754547713

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Lote posted:

Looks kinda like John Oliver

It is John Oliver. He ran a segment making fun of Scranton residents who were crying that a model train broke in a public building. Then, local news in Scranton ran segments where they interviewed people attacking John Oliver for using their pain and sadness from the model train stopping for his own entertainment.

Now, John Oliver had a 16-foot tall model train commissioned for Scranton to be sent to replace the old model train to apologize. The local news has been running stories for the last 5 days about when the train Oliver made is getting there and there is now a local political controversy on the city council because the train is too big to fit in the old spot and people don't want to put Oliver's train in a new spot because it would be "disrespectful" to the tradition and memory of the old train.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Lote posted:

That is hilarious. This is a plot line out of Parks and Rec.

People from Scranton are very passionate about trains. Ask Joe Biden.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Primary chat has imploded onto itself and we have now reverted to 2006 Connecticut Primary Chat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Ague Proof posted:

You know when people say Clinton was impeached for lying to the American people - "depends on what Is means" - do they ever bring up Reagan's best quote?

It was "it depends on what your definition of is is."

To explain that his statement of "There is nothing going on between us" was not a false statement because they had ended their affair two months before the statement.

Please get our Presidential blowjob history correct.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Racism is a boring thing that white people love? :p

The biggest fans of baseball are actually Latinos and the Japanese.

Polygynous posted:

stockholder lives(???) matter

Chic-Fil-A isn't a publicly traded company.

They also limit all franchisees to only one store, so the people who own and work in the local Chic-Fil-A all live in the area.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 14, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

Also I'd like to add that the idea that black folks are any more homophobic than any other group is a racist myth.

This actually was true as recently as 2008, but it has leveled out in recent years.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

PerniciousKnid posted:

http://www.pewforum.org/fact-sheet/changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

If you look at the breakdown by religion, black Protestants now as always fall between white "mainline" and "Evangelical" Protestants, which is about what I would've naively expected based on my limited knowledge of Protestants.

What I don't see, interestingly, is any apparent "Obama effect" on black Protestants.

They have a chart that breaks it down by race, so you don't need to use the religious one.

It seems like black support is still lagging.

code:
Year	White	Black
2003	32%	28%
2004	31%	21%
2005	37%	27%
2006	35%	25%
2007	38%	26%
2008	41%	26%
2009	37%	29%
2010	44%	30%
2011	49%	36%
2012	49%	40%
2013	50%	38%
2014	53%	42%
2015	58%	39%
2016	57%	42%
2017	64%	51%
PEW RESEARCH CENTER

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 14, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

PerniciousKnid posted:

There is, but my point was to explore religiosity as an explanation and show that black and white religious had comparable support.

With more time I'd look for religious/non-religious breakdowns by race, I was just making a point that minorities are not universally as liberal as the left-most wing of whites.

Only 4% of African Americans identify as non-religious. There is not going to be any poll with a margin of error less than 50% about their views unless you commissioned one specifically for it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
lol

quote:

Equifax had patch 2 months before hack and didn’t install it, security group says

Hackers took advantage of an Equifax security vulnerability two months after an industry group discovered the coding flaw and shared a fix for it, raising questions about why Equifax didn't update its software successfully when the danger became known.

Installing the patch would have required rebooting the machine to apply it. Equifax declined to do so and records indicate that the machine had not been rebooted for 83 consecutive days. Federal regulators are now investigating whether Equifax is at fault. The Federal Trade Commission and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau have said they've opened probes into the hack.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

moostaffa posted:

Equifax needs to stop existing as a company. Corporate death penalty with mandatory jail time for executives is the way to solve this loving problem.

Don't victim blame.

Do people who refuse to lock their doors deserve it? What was Equifax wearing at the time?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Democrazy posted:

Woah, talk about corporations as people.

Instead of teaching corporations how to protect themselves from hackers, we need to teach hackers not to hack.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

WampaLord posted:

Never post again.

Let he who has not left their machine with 144 million social security numbers on it turned on for 83 consecutive days cast the first stone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Accretionist posted:

Man, are you really mocking the concept of Victim Blaming?

I'm mocking Equifax's legal defense of "We were the victims! How did this happen? How can you prosecute us in this trying time? We've been through a lot recently!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

WampaLord posted:

:agreed:

Swing and a miss, dipshit. Just post like a person, no lovely gimmick.

I literally posted that after an article about how Equifax had a patch for the breach two months in advance, but didn't reboot their computer to apply it and were crying that the FTC investigating them was unfair because they were the victims.

I guess we can mandate sarcasm tags on all posts.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

A lovely Reporter posted:

See, this is why I had that bit in the Trump Thread OP warning about Leon's fakeposting.

Bring back the original OP.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
The Carter Center just announced that Jimmy Carter just narrowly missed his 27-year goal of eliminating the Guinea Worm this year. There were 9 recorded infections in the last 365 days. Down from 3.6 million when he started.

Hopefully you'll get it next year Jimmy. :unsmith:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
In much sadder old man news, Larry King just announced that he has lung cancer and that chemo is not an option for him given his age. He had surgery and seems to have recovered, but the doctors said it would have killed him in 6 to 18 months and there is a strong chance it will come back. As long as he is healthy enough for surgery and they can catch it early again, he should be okay. But probably not many more surgeries left in him.

:smith:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 15, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Javes posted:

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/908709196358660097

Facebook is basically a law enforcement tool with the side feature of being a social network.

Honestly, it is pretty much in line with current 4th amendment law.

Other public statements can be used as probable cause. It's just that Facebook makes it way easier to make incriminating public statements.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Ogmius815 posted:

How on earth is what he posted off topic? You're being unreasonable.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Crowsbeak posted:

Could they still charge him with tampering with evidence?

No, because they determined that they couldn't prove he actually planted it or not.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Caros posted:

Eh, I've seem prosecutors get away with that.

If police can convict a man of murder for lending his car to someone who had been found innocent of the murder, they could convict this gut for planting evidence.

I mean, they won't.

It's already done. The prosecution asserted that he had planted the gun, but the judge determined that there was no hard evidence that he did. There is already a court decision on this particular statement of facts. The prosecutor can't redo it and try it as a separate charge.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

PhazonLink posted:

Didn't a colorado city also fix it's homelessness problem by going "Hey we have all those empty apartments from the housing bubble and homeless people. lets put them together."

No, that was Utah.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
There would probably be actual riots if they started giving houses in downtown Denver to homeless people.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Is there a major American city not in the midst of a housing crisis?

Des Moines, Wilmington, Philadelphia, Twin Cities, Memphis, Boise, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa, San Antonio, Phoenix, Baltimore, Dallas, Omaha, Fargo, Las Vegas, Jacksonville, Houston, El Paso, Columbus, and Salt Lake City.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Not a major city: Des Moines is not a major city, neither is Fargo, Columbus, or Boise.

Des Moines and Boise have more people (both are ~250k) than Wilmington (~80k) and Salt Lake City (~160k) both of which you said are real cities.

Columbus has almost a million people and is one of the 15 largest cities in the United States...

Also, lol at the idea that Atlanta, Dallas, San Antonio, and Phoenix aren't "real cities" because they have sprawl.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Oh cool, I wasn't sure about Wilmington and Salt Lake. I can go ahead and toss them into the not a city category.

Columbus has a million people? Where the gently caress do they live? That city is rinky dink as gently caress. Freaking Tucson seems bigger.

Definitely didn't say that. I was pointing out why they haven't yet gotten a housing crisis. They've moved out rather than up but even that has its limits.

Why don't you just use this list so we don't have to argue between city and metro region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Largest_metropolitan_areas_of_the_United_States

Which of those doesn't have a housing crisis?

Detroit and St Louis are smoking craters, the rest are in the midst or on the verge with the notable exception of the Twin Cities.

10 of those 20, literally 50%, are listed on the "25 Most Affordable Metro Areas" list.

And a quarter of a million people (more in the metro areas) doesn't count as a city?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

1. that list has Washington Dc on it so it's completely invalid.

2. I said *major* American city. We can quibble about that or not.

It was a mildly hyperbolic comment about the sheer unaffordability of much of the places in this country with actual decent jobs.

Omaha, Nebraska metro area is over a million people.

St. Louis is not a blighted hellscape devoid of jobs. It also has several million people.

There are plenty of good jobs and affordable housing in many large and medium American cities.

There are several American cities (San Francisco, Honolulu, Seattle, etc) where average salaries are not even remotely close to proportionate with average housing prices.

You seem to have an inaccurate sense of how many people live outside of the Valley, NYC, and Pacific Northwest.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
RIP Rolling Stone.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/18/rolling-stone-magazine-up-for-sale

quote:

Rolling Stone, rock'n'roll magazine turned liberal cheerleader, bankrupt and seeking a buyer

It is the magazine that described investment bank Goldman Sachs as “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity”, George W Bush as the “worst president in history” and featured a photo of a naked John Lennon curled around Yoko Ono on its front page.

But after almost 50 years of seminal covers and epoch-shifting articles, the owners of Rolling Stone have put the title up for sale amid financial difficulties.

Founded by Jann Wenner in 1967 when he was a 21-year-old hippie student in California, Wenner now runs the rock’n’roll magazine turned liberal cheerleader with his son Gus, the president of the family publishing company.

On Sunday, the pair announced they were planning to sell their remaining stake in the title that has both ruthlessly skewered public figures, and helped to launch the careers of such influential creatives as photographer Annie Leibovitz and the gonzo journalist Hunter S Thompson.

The pressure on the publishing industry from the rise of the internet, a costly libel battle, and financial deals that with the benefit of hindsight look like unwise have combined to prompt the Wenners to consider their options.

Apparently, the lawsuit from the UVA Rape story, the internet, and the fact that nobody reads long-form journalism anymore killed it.

They are only going to stay alive if they can find a buyer who is willing to lose money on operating it for the name.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Enigma89 posted:

A $3 million settlement was all it took to bring this magazine down?

Is it really dead? That article seemed like the owners just wants some liquidity not necessarily that it is about to die or am I totally wrong?

The owners say that they have been losing money on it for years and that the sudden jolt of the lawsuit + declining revenue + declining subscriptions means that they are taking proactive measures to save it. They want someone to pull a Bezos-Washington Post deal where they operate it at a loss to keep the brand alive, because otherwise it isn't profitable and will shut down.

I don't know how likely it is that someone would take them up on that offer, though. And if nobody does, then Rolling Stone is gone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the brand is worth enough someone will keep it alive

newsweek's still lurching around for example

Bloomberg says there are two potential buyers.

Verizon and Bauer Media Group.

Verizon is okay with the magazine losing money to add more exclusive digital and web content for Fios streaming services.

Bauer Media Group is a German publishing company that distributes Woman's World and InTouch Magazine. They have no web presence and are considering buying out Rolling Stone to use it as "an anchor hub for the company's first serious attempt to bring magazine content to digital space."

Basically, the two people who would buy it are okay with abiding by the terms of just burning money for the magazine portion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

BlueberryCanary posted:

So what is the timeline like for the Graham-Cassidy bill in the senate? Does anyone even know?

The Senate has to vote before September 30th.

• Locked thread