Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Don't victim blame.

Do people who refuse to lock their doors deserve it? What was Equifax wearing at the time?

Man, are you really mocking the concept of Victim Blaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

The better analogy would actually be your friend who barrows your car and leaves it unlocked in the mall parking garage overnight with the keys in the ignition.

After promising over and over again that they're the most secure car-borrower in the world, refusing to share details of their "secure car borrowing program" except to say it is "secure" and also they were going to borrow your car exclusively so your buddy can snoop around inside and then tell anyone who wants to pay how much your buddy thinks you're worth based on the insides of your car.

Also your buddy runs a side business where they will drive you around for cash since your car got stolen.

Also your buddy did this to millions of people.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Instead of teaching corporations how to protect themselves from hackers, we need to teach hackers not to hack.

Instead of teaching people not to respond to obvious trolls, we have to ban leon trotsky 2012

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ice to meet you Mr. Trotsky, may I axe you a question?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Accretionist posted:

Man, are you really mocking the concept of Victim Blaming?

I'm mocking Equifax's legal defense of "We were the victims! How did this happen? How can you prosecute us in this trying time? We've been through a lot recently!"

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Ze Pollack posted:

i mean, the man's not wrong, it's a good way to reduce your carbon footprint, but good ways to reduce your carbon footprint are not small in number

I wasn't saying he was wrong about reducing your footprint by not eating meat. I am saying he is wrong to suggest you are a hypocrite if you eat meat but also think we need to do more about climate change. More than being wrong, it comes across like he think he is better than everyone who eats meat. Yes, if EVERYONE decided to become vegetarian, it would reduce emissions. But that will never loving happen so pretending that you personally going vegetarian is making any sort of impact just sounds like self-flagellation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

Instead of teaching people not to respond to obvious trolls, we have to ban leon trotsky 2012

:agreed:

I'm mocking Equifax's legal defense of "We were the victims! How did this happen? How can you prosecute us in this trying time? We've been through a lot recently!"

Swing and a miss, dipshit. Just post like a person, no lovely gimmick.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
See, this is why I had that bit in the Trump Thread OP warning about Leon's fakeposting.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 14, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WampaLord posted:

:agreed:

Swing and a miss, dipshit. Just post like a person, no lovely gimmick.

I literally posted that after an article about how Equifax had a patch for the breach two months in advance, but didn't reboot their computer to apply it and were crying that the FTC investigating them was unfair because they were the victims.

I guess we can mandate sarcasm tags on all posts.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

I guess we can mandate good writing.

FTFY

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A lovely Reporter posted:

See, this is why I had that bit in the Trump Thread OP warning about Leon's fakeposting.

Bring back the original OP.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

A lovely Reporter posted:

See, this is why I had that bit in the OP warming about Leon's fakeposting.

Leon can learn through pain in this thread

Bring back the original OP.

Pfff

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 14, 2017

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Majorian posted:

All true, but at this point, we're nowhere near being able to actually tell people, "We're going to eliminate the private insurance market and take away the plans that you like." We do need to figure out how to sell that aspect of a single-payer system effectively, but for now, there's a Republican majority in Congress, a particularly loony Republican sitting in the Oval Office, etc, etc. I don't think anyone's jumping the gun by pledging support for a symbolic single payer bill that's not going to pass.

Yea definitely, I'm not saying we shouldn't be endorsing this. I think it's great so many Dems are on board, as for once it seems we are having a serious conversation about Single payer in the Democratic party. And Bernie deserves all kinds of credit for it. But as discussions continue, I do think it's important legitimate concerns be raised so we can ensure passage once Dems actually have a chance to do so.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I wasn't saying he was wrong about reducing your footprint by not eating meat. I am saying he is wrong to suggest you are a hypocrite if you eat meat but also think we need to do more about climate change. More than being wrong, it comes across like he think he is better than everyone who eats meat. Yes, if EVERYONE decided to become vegetarian, it would reduce emissions. But that will never loving happen so pretending that you personally going vegetarian is making any sort of impact just sounds like self-flagellation.

The thing here is that going vegetarian is one of the easiest ways to reduce your carbon footprint. The reality is there needs to be a reckoning with how westerners live their lives and how they are in no way sustainable. We just cannot live how we do now and expect it to turn out okay, lifestyles and technology need to fundamentally change.

And to be clear here, I think everyone is guilty of using too many resources in some way. But I think we're also blameless in a way - our patterns of consumption have more to do with our culture than ourselves.

It turns out eating less meat (or even better, no meat) is actually pretty simple! And it actually can help westerners make less carbon emissions. So if you believe that global warming is real and agree with the premise that collective action can help curb climate change, then the question is why not start with meat consumption?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea definitely, I'm not saying we shouldn't be endorsing this. I think it's great so many Dems are on board, as for once it seems we are having a serious conversation about Single payer in the Democratic party. And Bernie deserves all kinds of credit for it. But as discussions continue, I do think it's important legitimate concerns be raised so we can ensure passage once Dems actually have a chance to do so.

Indeed. I expect smart people are working on it. I'm glad I'm not one of them, because holy poo poo I am bad with numbers.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

theblackw0lf posted:

But as discussions continue, I do think it's important legitimate concerns be raised so we can ensure passage once Dems actually have a chance to do so.

That time will never come. We will likely get a constitutional convention called by the GOP long before the Democrats get to 60 seats in the senate.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Majorian posted:

Indeed. I expect smart people are working on it. I'm glad I'm not one of them, because holy poo poo I am bad with numbers.

There are. But as New Republic and Vox have reported, the democratic/progressive think tanks are lagging far behind in seriously investing in researching and coming up with and analyzing single payer policies. Hopefully this puts a fire under them to put more energy and resources into it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 14, 2017

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

That time will never come. We will likely get a constitutional convention called by the GOP long before the Democrats get to 60 seats in the senate.

I thought it was expected the Democrats would be getting rid of the Senate filibuster at the next available opportunity. Is this mistaken?

Otherwise you're probably correct.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Eeyo posted:

why not start with meat consumption?

This also hits on:
  • Thrift (meat's expensive)
  • Health (meat's nutritionally dense)

Even without 'Environment,' altered diets are worthwhile. Effort here is well spent.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Eeyo posted:

the question is why not start with meat consumption?

the question is if anyone can really hold themselves morally superior for choosing to do thing while living in a capitalist society which ruins the environment in many different ways

it's like, ok, go vegan, but if you still have a kid and live in a tract home and drive a car and buy a new phone every couple of years then you're just engaging in token reduction of consumption for moral effect

even the people who ride bikes and live in tiny apartments downtown and practice radical freeganism could still stand to tone it back. it's a never ending slippery slope when you start moralizing about how your participation with the capitalist system is more moral than someone else's and how if everyone made the choices you find personally acceptable the world would be a better place

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/status/908399135354744832

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BREAKING: BAD MAN DOES MORE BAD THINGS

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Facebook allowed people to advertise to the demographic group of 'Jew Haters'

quote:

Until this week, when we asked Facebook about it, the world’s largest social network enabled advertisers to direct their pitches to the news feeds of almost 2,300 people who expressed interest in the topics of “Jew hater,” “How to burn jews,” or, “History of ‘why jews ruin the world.’”

But Facebook apparently did not intensify its scrutiny of its ad buying platform. In all likelihood, the ad categories that we spotted were automatically generated because people had listed those anti-Semitic themes on their Facebook profiles as an interest, an employer or a “field of study.” Facebook’s algorithm automatically transforms people’s declared interests into advertising categories.
Last week, acting on a tip, we logged into Facebook’s automated ad system to see if “Jew hater” was really an ad category. We found it, but discovered that the category — with only 2,274 people in it — was too small for Facebook to allow us to buy an ad pegged only to Jew haters.

Facebook’s automated system suggested “Second Amendment” as an additional category that would boost our audience size to 119,000 people, presumably because its system had correlated gun enthusiasts with anti-Semites.

Facebook ads are the wild west of propaganda proliferation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Facebook allowed people to advertise to the demographic group of 'Jew Haters'

Facebook ads are the wild west of propaganda proliferation.

This is the same company that previously let you racially red line your housing ads (in violation of federal law)

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/791979616609198080

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TyrantWD posted:

Pretty sure you understand neither how conventions work nor how the Senate works

We had a short lived supermajority in two thousand loving eight

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Don't victim blame.

Do people who refuse to lock their doors deserve it? What was Equifax wearing at the time?

a suit made of peoples' social security cards

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

theblackw0lf posted:

There are. But as New Republic and Vox have reported, the democratic/progressive think tanks are lagging far behind in seriously investing in researching and coming up with and analyzing single payer policies. Hopefully this puts a fire under them to put more energy and resources into it.

Related to this, the CBO will likely be scoring Sanders' bill, Sen. Barrasso just requested that they do so. I don't know how long it'll take, though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

I thought it was expected the Democrats would be getting rid of the Senate filibuster at the next available opportunity. Is this mistaken?

I don't see this being advantageous. After all, the filibuster just saved Obamacare. Anything they pass with 50 votes will just be repealed as soon as the Republicans get 50.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Pretty sure you understand neither how conventions work nor how the Senate works

We had a short lived supermajority in two thousand loving eight

And it will never happen again in our lifetimes (short of some party realignment). The Democrats will likely pick up some seats in the house in 2018 and lose some senate seats. Even if Trump is ousted in 2020, there will likely be a Republican house and senate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't see this being advantageous. After all, the filibuster just saved Obamacare. Anything they pass with 50 votes will just be repealed as soon as the Republicans get 50.

The filibuster did not save the ACA. It's indirectly doing a few other things but they only needed 50 for repeal because they burned a reconciliation bill.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Dems killed the filibuster because by design it's of more value to the party with a large contingent of people who want nothing to change and it's been clear since the death of Ted Kennedy that the Senate GOP are not acting in good faith.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

aware of dog posted:

Related to this, the CBO will likely be scoring Sanders' bill, Sen. Barrasso just requested that they do so. I don't know how long it'll take, though.

That would be difficult to score, since according to the bill HHS determines the budget.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/908428396845203457

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

And it will never happen again in our lifetimes (short of some party realignment). The Democrats will likely pick up some seats in the house in 2018 and lose some senate seats. Even if Trump is ousted in 2020, there will likely be a Republican house and senate.

We've got long lifetimes and boomers are on the way out, you're being hyperbolic or deliberately weaseling on that last clause

I wouldn't bet a lot of money on 2020, but I wouldn't bet my life savings against Dem majorities in both either

Haven't looked at the supermajority math but I'd think more along the lines of mid to late 20s for that if I had to guess a good shot

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Is there any online tool that lets me see how much revenue we'd raise by adding some new progressive tax brackets (I'm thinking 50% on income over 1m, 70% on income over 5m)? All of the budget calculators I've found online have been with the goal of "eliminating the debt" and have had really modest tax increase options. Like, "add 2% to the capital gains rate!" kind of stuff. I'm curious what we could pay for if we just went to basically pre-Reagan tax rates.

Edit: Actually the 70% bracket kicked in at 100kish in 1979, or the equivalent of 400kish today. The same group of people currently at 39%. So even what I suggest above is a huge tax cut from the post war through Reagan period.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 14, 2017

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

Said Democrats in 2004, and Republicans in 2008. We're doomed forever!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

boner confessor posted:

the question is if anyone can really hold themselves morally superior for choosing to do thing while living in a capitalist society which ruins the environment in many different ways

it's like, ok, go vegan, but if you still have a kid and live in a tract home and drive a car and buy a new phone every couple of years then you're just engaging in token reduction of consumption for moral effect

even the people who ride bikes and live in tiny apartments downtown and practice radical freeganism could still stand to tone it back. it's a never ending slippery slope when you start moralizing about how your participation with the capitalist system is more moral than someone else's and how if everyone made the choices you find personally acceptable the world would be a better place

Can people feel morally superior for supporting leftist policies? If they can, then vegans (or less-meat-eaters) can also feel morally superior. I get that western consumption culture is amoral and I agree. But isn't departure from that morally superior? I'd rather have a planet with a copy of every human except they don't eat meat than the one we have now. I'd also like a planet where every human doesn't eat meat, consumes less stuff, drives less, and uses renewable energies. We should also guilt them into doing the other things and then they will be even more morally superior.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

That would be nice, although this is what concerns me about the dominance of centrist Democrats over progressive think tanks. While I don't think Neera Tanden is a particularly bad person or is any more mendacious than your average political figure, I can't say I have much faith in someone like her doing justice to Sanders' vision.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

This is the same company that previously let you racially red line your housing ads (in violation of federal law)

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/791979616609198080

And either until recently or still white men are an actively protected class by facebook moderation while black children or women are not

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Eeyo posted:

Can people feel morally superior for supporting leftist policies? If they can, then vegans (or less-meat-eaters) can also feel morally superior. I get that western consumption culture is amoral and I agree. But isn't departure from that morally superior?

you're not really departing from it if you eat less/no meat and say "i'm doing this for the environment". you're constructing a false departure so you can justify your choices as morally better than other people's choices. yes, you're having an incredibly tiny impact on AGW via your personal choices but it's nothing to grandstand or shame others over when you personally could be doing so much more

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

UberJew posted:

And either until recently or still white men are an actively protected class by facebook moderation while black children or women are not

That doesn't mean exactly what you think it does, IIRC. It was about combinations of descriptors and whether they are broad enough to be moderated for, i.e. "black children" isn't but "black men" would be, "female drivers" is a double subset but "all women" wouldn't be, etc. And they worded it in an intentionally tricksy way to make a point during training. At least this is my understanding of it.

If I'm wrong about that please do correct me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

boner confessor posted:

you're not really departing from it if you eat less/no meat and say "i'm doing this for the environment". you're constructing a false departure so you can justify your choices as morally better than other people's choices. yes, you're having an incredibly tiny impact on AGW via your personal choices but it's nothing to grandstand or shame others over when you personally could be doing so much more

I think the point is which moral acts escape that issue?

If you're effectively saying "don't feel morally superior for the good acts you take" that's very different from saying "this category of good acts shouldn't make you morally superior because of the systemic nature of the problem." The former is a fairly common belief about morality and the second seems to apply as much to acts of anti-capitalism as acts of anti-emissions.

• Locked thread