Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Webb would've won

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People really need to realize that d&d and Twitter don't encompass the whole of us politics

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Incredibly wealthy 1st world county

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

jfc

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The article reads and ascribes some stuff that isn't really there, but the blog itself is some pretty weak skills/dignity/hard work fluff.

https://www.sppa.udel.edu/bideninstitute/research-policy/biden-institute-blog/Let%E2%80%99s-Choose-a-Future-That-Puts-Work-First

e: It's also a page for a University of Delaware Policy and & Admin school named after him, so it's not like you'd expect anything hard-hitting in the first place though.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 23, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Just

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/DNAinfoCHI/status/912774531281977349

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I hadn't realized that Janus was from Illinois, because ofc.

e: misread something

Motto fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 28, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

quote:

This summer, I spent an hour on the phone with Richard Spencer. It was an exchange that left me feeling physically sickened. Toward the end of the interview, he said one thing that I still think about often. He referred to the all-encompassing sense of white power so many liberals now also attribute to whiteness as a profound opportunity. “This is the photographic negative of a white supremacist,” he told me gleefully. “This is why I’m actually very confident, because maybe those leftists will be the easiest ones to flip.”

:shepface:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't been following Virginia, but it was something to read these articles back to back.

https://nyti.ms/2kWrrhO

quote:

Some in the party wish Mr. Northam would more aggressively trumpet the candidacy of Justin Fairfax, 38, a lawyer and the Democratic nominee for lieutenant governor who could be the first black candidate elected statewide since 1989. And a growing chorus of black activists and strategists say the party’s church-focused appeals are not reaching younger African-Americans. Instead, they say, Mr. Northam needs to talk directly about sensitive issues like policing and criminal justice for blacks under 40 to turn out.

https://thinkprogress.org/virginia-gubernatorial-campaign-fliers-929fce27e960/amp/

quote:

With less than three weeks to go before Virginia voters elect a new governor, Democratic nominee Ralph Northam sent out a campaign flier this week promoting the top of the party’s ticket that omitted the name and picture of Justin Fairfax, his black running mate.

The decision to remove Fairfax, the Democratic nominee for lieutenant governor, came at the request of officials at Laborers’ International Union of North America, or LiUNA, who decided against endorsing Fairfax because of his refusal to support pet projects backed by the union, including two natural gas pipelines that are proposed to cross Virginia.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Governments are people, my friend.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm gonna vote straight-ticket dem then lol when they still manage to lose and even help undermine Obama's policies for some reason

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

Trump and his ilk scare me, and it scares me that young people are thinking of him as a "typical conservative, no big deal if he gets in again as long as we don't have another disappointing Democrat. Gotta teach the Democrats a lesson." rather than a direct threat to US democracy and possibly the existence of human life (if he starts tossing nukes.)

I do consider him a "typical conservative", though in the sense that I thought any repub winning would be some level of disastrous. The main difference is an utter lack of rhetorical or political subtlety, and even that is questionable if we're talking about, say, Cruz.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NewForumSoftware posted:

Pelosi is demonstrably better than most bad Democrats. That being said, she's still firmly in the "bad" category until she enthusiastically takes up single payer healthcare, taxing the rich, ending the mic, reforming the police, ending the war on drugs, etc

She's the lesser evil of the lesser evils

None of those things will ever happen

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Majority Of White Americans Say They Believe Whites Face Discrimination

quote:

Notable, however, is that while a majority of whites in the poll say discrimination against them exists, a much smaller percentage say that they have actually experienced it. Also important to note is that 84 percent of whites believe discrimination exists against racial and ethnic minorities in America today.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why ‘Medicare for All’ Will Sink the Democrats

I've seen the usual suspects railing on this one lately, and while I'd like to be able to agree, I can't really say he's wrong given the history of healthcare policy. Though it's also kinda alarmist since I don't think M4A is gonna be advocated by a significant number of dems or even remembered by next year, let alone 2020.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

hillary's book features a delightful digression on the perks of being first lady of arkansas featuring free labor provided by the local penitentiaries. in and of itself? gross, but hey, it's the south.

the part where she explained that it was totally okay, because they had ~lesser emotional intelligence~ than her, and so this was the best way they could be of service to society, was what took it to full on "what the flaming gently caress is wrong with this person"

That was indeed a weird thing to read but boiling it down to a recited one word own on a single politican doesn't exactly indicate sincere concern.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

USpol is a flat circle

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Something tells me this "white sauce" guy hasn't been engaging in sincere debate

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What we say about them on a dead paid forum has about zero effect on how politicians act. Cheer on republican infighting, but no Trump denunciations from republicans have involved an actual change in personal politics as far as I'm aware.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

:thunk: I daresay the Iraqis would beg to differ.

(I suspect I've just missed the joke here).

Chris Hayes said nothing Trump has done so far is as bad as Iraq then got a bunch of replies in that vein.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Those sorts of things are depressing to read but people willing to scream into the void for hours at organizational accounts aren't representative of the population. It's self-selecting in that anyone that knows better isn't gonna jump into that mess.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you think that there's a massive population of leftists that constitute the main source of dems electoral issues, then you really need to take a break from online politics.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Condiv posted:

oh i definitely can see that happening too. and if it did, it just it would just show how utterly useless and self-destructive the party leadership is. Also, wrt mondale, it seems to me the actual leftist candidate for that election was jesse jackson

wasn't it actively threatened at some point in the primary by way of bloomberg? I can't recall if that was actually a serious possibility or not.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bernie isn't even a factor here, it's just another reminder of how the party collectively chose to preemptively settle on a candidate that had already run an unexpectedly losing campaign.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 3, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Was the dem fallout, finger pointing, and bus-throwing this bad back after 2000? There's always gonna be blame and frustration, but I kinda expected the party orgs to be more prepared for dealing with the possibility of losing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sorry they don't just rot in a manner that pleases you while the rest of society shits on them for being "lazy".

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I also don't ever see Obama of all presidents being historically remembered as corrupt.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Andrew Johnson, man politically locked outdoors to get what reconstruction we did, symbol of necessary compromise.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:shepface:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

My dog is gonna poop on a liberal's lawn and I'm NOT going to pick it up

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol brazile's book is nutty as hell

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The white supremacist pedo party is bad imo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

readingatwork posted:

This is the dumbest sentiment to come out of 2017 and it needs to be purged with fire.

trump is gonna end up absolving the GOP of the past decades and give them a pass in the future for being slightly less openly rude lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TomPerez/status/939585498779193345

very normal responses to this

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

You keep saying "new" as if scrips and coal mining towns and poo poo werent already a thing

Yeah, but that just makes the prospect more depressing since science-tech stuff was usually characterized as one of the opportunities for kids to leave those sorts of environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Politics is fake and we'll be in reactionary back-and-forth electoral cycles forever

• Locked thread