Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mister Adequate posted:

e; lol here's me pissing all over the mod's requests

SO who's gonna join the NFL boycott?

I'm always in on not watching the NFL until late December or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

A black man became president, yet somehow the deck was stacked against Hilldawg

She lost Michigan lol

I don't particularly want to champion Hillary's extremely average campaign that relied heavily on the support beams of Look At The Other Guy, It's Donald J. Trump. However, I'd say that of the various ingredients that lead to the baking of the poo poo cake that is the current administration, missteps by the Clinton Campaign are pretty much just the spices. Comey and The Media are the flour and liquids, sexism is the eggs, Weiner is the the sugar, passing out is the yeast, and Voter Suppression/the ED is the shortening.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Trabisnikof posted:

I thought emails would be the butter

Seems like a whole lot of butter for one cake. I haven't baked in a while though, is there usually more butter than flour and water?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Main Paineframe posted:

What about the ongoing decline of the Democratic Party? Since 2009, Congressional Dems have taken heavy losses in midterm elections and only slight gains in presidential election years. The Democratic waves of 2006 and 2008 - spurred largely Bush's unpopularity and Obama's charisma were the first time they'd controlled both houses of Congress since 1994. The context of the presidential election goes well beyond just Hillary Clinton - it's just another milestone in the slow decline of the Democratic Party under the stewardship of the centrist movement that moved into party leadership in the late 80s and early 90s.

That has more to do with the down ballot results of 2016 than the top of the ticket. The party of the President tends to do poorly in midterms and Obama was a super scary black man, so the effect was multiplied as voters ran to the polls while totally not racistly screaming about the 14 words. This impacted the the path for new blood to rise in the party, but didn't really effect the 2016 Presidential part of the race outside the lingering desire to undo all the scary black things Obama did.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RuanGacho posted:

Just to reiterate I would like to know if Hillary Clinton says anything about White Nationalism or racism in the book.

We all know that is the biggest deciding factor in determining voter preferences in the election so it should be a topic, if not I think the book is too early from her, a self described wonk.

Considering she did a whole speech about it and then talked about the basket of deplorables, I'm going to guess that yes it is in there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jaxyon posted:

All existing single payer systems cost noticeably less than the US currently spends per capita out of public funds alone. Not even half of our total spending per capita.

Isn't a large part of our skyrocketing costs due to our beloved capitalist system which incentivizes doctors and hospitals setting astronomical and unpayable baseline prices for everything as a negotiating strategy for the cavalcade of private insurance companies? I'm pretty sure medicare and medicaid ignore those prices and set their own prices of what they'll pay for things.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RuanGacho posted:

My sloppy numbers say eat the rich, problem solved.

To me it's not really a how, it's a when. I mean that money exists, you just have to win the hearts and minds that it's ok that there aren't any billionaires anymore.

I'm down for a combined effort of real progressive tax reform and universal health care wedded together. Perhaps throw in some hot universal basic income while we're at it for a dirty hot financial three way.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm amazed at the stones it takes to describe taxes that need to raise a trillion or so dollars as "modest."

If we go to single payer companies no longer have to cover employee health insurance. The average worker worked 1,786 hours in 2015. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics employers spend about $10.11 per hour on benefit costs. In 20017 we have a little over 127 million people working full time in the US. If we then taxed companies at a rate comparable to about half of their current per hour benefits costs, which is probably still less than the medical portion of benefits, that should give the IRS an extra trillionish dollars a year.

I think I calculated that correctly.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RuanGacho posted:

It's possible now, I just don't know where I'm going to get the money to octuple the size of my storage array just for the dozen officers I support right now. It's not so simple as clouding it because it needs evidentiary custody and public records access.

There are also questions of how to protect the identity of informants and witnesses, also most cops I've talked too are worried about having their shits and pisses recorded for posterity as well as their breaks and shooting the poo poo with each other or talking to their families. It is all in the realm of working on some technical details rather than pie in the sky how do we do this though.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That is literally the current scientific best practice

Turns out they've done studies on it and the best way to keep people from being homeless is to give them homes

All the other services they may need are a lot easier to arrange if there's a fixed address.

Isn't it also significantly cheaper and better for the community as a whole? You know, aside from being the right and moral thing to do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RaySmuckles posted:

my fiancé was telling me of a program where they just give rooms with a lock to homeless people and even that makes a big difference.

just having somewhere to safely secure your things, sleep, be safe, be away from drug use, and get off the streets when you need to can make a huge difference in these peoples' lives.

Having an actual residence also makes it shitloads easier to get a job.

Grouchio posted:

Hooray this thread is back!

Are there any candidates for Maine Governor that are closely linked with Bernie?

Susan Collins and Bernie have known each other for years and hang out all the time.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 16, 2017

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nwo hatchet man posted:

Well Zimmerman was found to be innocent so that's probably not a knock against him

No one is ever found to be innocent. Ever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Goddamn blue states using their freedoms to gently caress the poor to instead help the poor. Well gently caress that, I vote no.

Louisianans, you've got the power to fix this country. You've just got to get high enough to find scenarios where John Kennedy's votes to destroy America and basic human decency could theoretically be judo thrown into fixing America and nurture basic human decency. And then share those scenarios.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Babies love dancing. Anyone who hasn't made their baby, their friend's baby, or their family's baby dance just doesn't get kids. Bunch of easily offended people getting riled up over this. Yes, posting pictures of you flipping off babies is not a good career move. No, it is not detrimental to the poor infant who probably can't even see the the middle finger.

Also the babies pictured had most of their bodies redacted to protect their baby identities and I'm not hunting down unedited pictures of dumb poo poo. Baby looked down to dance to It's Your Birthday though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I will never understand how you can have this giant hard on for the magical purity of the Aryan race, and then list your all time favorite Aryan leaders as Hitler, a Corsican, and a Greek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

botany posted:

did you watch the videos? there is literally a scene where they are sitting in (i think) a hotel lobby, talking about how to approach "the jewish question, or, the jewish problem". the solution is, of course, ethnic cleansing.

i want to slap every moron in the face with that documentary who says thinks like this:

https://twitter.com/chadfelixg/status/910287864088420352

I just don't understand why so many people are desperate to live side by side with Nazis.

• Locked thread