Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Artelier posted:

I'm not too familiar with chess openings but have read up a little on the Wiki, and I think moving e2-e4 is a pretty common and strong move.

Our pawn hits the centre of the board, and it opens up our bishop and our Queen.
This reasoning makes sense to me. We probably don't want to pull out our queen yet, but it lets her threaten a lot of squares so she can be somewhat active even while sitting in a nicely defended position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I get notation and how the pieces move but I'm not really able to see more than two moves in advance.
This more or less describes me perfectly.

I don't really get how advantage works - I can get the idea of piece values and do the math on that (black lost their queen for a pawn? yeah, no poo poo white's ahead!) but I have no clue how people can look at a board with roughly even material and clearly say that one side is winning. (Side note: Mentors / Covski, this would be a good informatory post at some point, though it might make more sense later in the game when there's actual examples to point to)

I went to chess club in high school but more as a social thing to do and was never very good at it. And I haven't played or even really thought about chess prior to this thread in like 15 years.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Since there's a check involved, this can be described pretty succinctly. Black's only possible responses are:
1.) Block check with the queen (Qd8-d7). This is obviously dumb since we'd gladly trade our bishop for the Queen. They won't do this.
2.) Block with the knight (Nb8 to either d7 or c6). Either of these stops the check and pins their knight for a while, but doesn't actively threaten our bishop. We could respond to this by taking our knight in trade for the bishop, but I don't see any particular reason to do so since our bishop isn't in immediate danger. So instead we should probably respond with something else - moving up something (pawns? knight?) to support the attack perhaps?
3.) Bc8-d7 - I think this is probably the best option for them since it stops the check and also threatens our bishop. Our response to this could either be to trade bishops OR move a piece to defend the bishop (Nb3-c5 or moving either the a or c pawns forward two spaces). The knight seems to be the best response to me since the trade seems kinda pointless (it's even by piece values, but our bishop is actually doing something productive while theirs isn't) and moving the pawns limits our bishop's maneuverability.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2017

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

LambdaZero posted:

Which piece are you talking about there? I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding or if that was a typo.

I'm on board with c2-c4 if they pull out the bishop. I feel like that's as solid a move as we have in that scenario. What's our plan if they move the knight? Move our queen-side knight to cover more ground?
Right, I meant moving the knight from b1 out to c3 as a defense for our bishop, that was a typo. But I think that Yorkshire had a good point - moving that pawn up to c4 defends our bishop and also helps control the middle, so that's probably better than the knight move anyways.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Jumping on the d2-d4 train for the reasons laid out by McP and Decoy.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Qd1-Qdx4.

Only thing to watch here is that it pseudo pins* our bishop at b5 since making any move with the bishop except taking the knight means they immediately use the knight to take our queen with Nc6-Nxd4. Not an issue as long as we're paying attention but if we forget about it, that could screw us hard down the line. Just something to keep in the back of our collective hive mind.

*I don't know if there's actually a term for this situation. I don't think it's a "true" pin per se because we can easily get out of it on our own by just taking the knight, but the bishop isn't really free to move either.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 21, 2017

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Okay, so we basically have two (real) options and one awful dumb one:
1.) Take the knight with our bishop, Bb5xc6. Presumably, they will immediately take our bishop with something else, so this is basically just trading pieces.
2.) Move the queen somewhere.
3.) Do something totally unrelated and watch our queen die. This seems really stupid to me, unless someone can make a really great case for why.

I don't honestly love any of the options, but I'm guessing #1 is probably best. Moving the queen will at best cost us some tempo and probably get her trapped pretty quickly. So I think taking the knight will free up the board a little and get some more options.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I’m on my phone and can’t quote well, but Yorkshire’s analysis seems solid to me as it seems castling just gets us into an endless and unproductive Queen runaround. Bc1-g5.

• Locked thread