Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Flip the board
(I don't know the correct notation for that particular move, sorry)

Seriously though, I vote for e4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Plus with d4, couldn't black have our king in check in just a few turns? (e6 then Bb4)
Not that we'd be unable to recover, but a quick check would be a morale booster on their side, and we don't need any of that!

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 12, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Nf3 because it has the best number of spaces threatened. Basically what Yorkshire Tea said, though I don't think they'll pin the knight to the king, they'll probably move their bishop to threaten ours if we continue on with Bb5.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I also appreciate the effort video, Yorkshire Tea. I just forgot to say so in my last post.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

If the black team decides to go with Ng8-f6, I like the idea of responding with Bf1-d3. This is mainly to protect our pawn. First blood must be drawn, but it shall not be in this way!

Also, the Chess by Post app is cool, but always makes me think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weAcVf6QUX4

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 15, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Yeah, let's throw 'em a curve ball. Bf1-Bb5+ then follow it up with c2-c4 as Yorkshire Tea suggested. If they move their bishop to block, that is.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

It could also be that people don't feel like their input/votes are extremely necessary at the start of the game. Hopefully we'll get more participation soon, especially with this check we just made.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Epicmissingno posted:

Nb8-c6 is also pretty bad because we can take their knight on the next turn and black will be in the same situation as before but with only two options.

Taking their knight in this case would be bad for us considering they would immediately follow with b7xc6, eliminating our bishop from the game.

edit: I hope that was the right notation for "their pitchfork-wielding peasant will stab our holy man to death"

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 17, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Voting for d2-d4

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

M.c.P posted:

So here's something that's concerning me, a7-a6, Threatening our bishop with a pawn. Best I can tell is we take the Knight, putting the King in check again, at which point they're best, possibly only move is to take the bishop with a pawn. At which point, I suppose we develop our knight or our pawns on the left, hoping to use the removal of their knight to our advantage later.

In that case, why not just move our bishop back? Bb5-Ba4. It keeps their knight pinned, and our holy man is safe.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

LambdaZero posted:

They could move b7-b5 and we'd be in the exact same position.

Good point.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

When the White Queen first saw the black army land upon the shores of her homeland, she knew the ensuing war would result in many casualties. She wasn't prepared for this, though.
She knew him well, the one who was killed. He was only fourteen years old, and had never even harmed a fly. But when the ships appeared on the horizon he had come to her personally, and asked for permission to fight for the kingdom. She gave him a sword and quickly taught him how to use it.
Now his lifeless body lies on the ground. The naïve innocence once present in his eyes replaced by a look of horror, forever preserved there from his final moments alive.
She can not stand for this. She must make an example of the one who ended his short life, but mostly she must be an example to her people.

Qd1-Qxd4

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 21, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Can I just say that I haven't been able to comprehend a single post on this entire page? I feel like this thread is being taken over by two or three people who kinda know what they're talking about and leaving the rest of us who know very very little in the dirt. Its overwhelming as heck, remember that this is a newbie game, you guys. Some of us are still trying to get to grips with notation and remembering how the pieces move

Part of the problem could be that people are saying Qd1-Qxd5, which isn't actually a possible move right now.
It's great that you spoke up though, this game is moving a lot faster than I expected it to also. I find it's easiest to refer back to the board Covski posts (the "you/black have 24 hours..." board) before, during, and after reading each and every suggestion..
Keep in mind that a lot of what is discussed is pure speculation based on how the board currently sits, written by people who are just as clueless as you are. None of us really KNOW, because like you said, this is a newbie game!
Make sure to refer back to the OP if you're getting confused with how pieces move, and check Wikipedia if you're stuck on notation. I've had to.

Edit so I'm not double posting:
In response to Artelier's video, if they decide to go with e7-e5 after our queen kills their pawn, we could just respond with Qd4-Qc4. Just move her over one spot and she'll be out of danger.

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 21, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Qd4-Qc4

They can threaten our queen by going with Nc6-Ne5, but we can just respond by taking their knight with ours. Then it'll be a knight exchange, but I don't feel like we'd lose any tempo by just moving our queen over a spot. It'd be a move unforeseen by team black, and we don't have to give up our bishop.
(I'm posting this pretty late, so of course I will succumb to the hive mind if need be. I just wanted to reiterate my earlier post defending the queen move we've gone and did.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Didn't even see that. And I wonder why I keep losing games!

• Locked thread