Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Important rules reminder: You cannot castle when your king is in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

What do you think is the opponent's best move, and what is your best counter to that move?

Note that the knight on c6 is pinned to the black king and can't legally move.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think their best move is to move Nb1-c3, because it contests the middle and protects the b5 Bishop. As for countering, start to develop the other side of the board? Maybe Ng8-f6?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

From this board position, I see a few proactive plays that White can make and what I think would be our best response:

1. Nb1-c3 to protect their bishop. If they play this, we can either play e7-e5 to contest the center further (since e5 would be protected by d6), or go Bc8-d7 to further shore up the defense against the bishop (and more importantly, free up the Nc6 knight to capture e5 or d4 if needed). I like both moves equally right now, I'll think about it some more.

2. O-O to set up their rook to threaten the E column (is that the correct terminology?). In this case, I still like either of the two moves above.

3. d2-d4 to contest the middle, in which case:

anakha posted:

In case of d2-d4, I'm thinking we're practically forced to initiate the pawn exchange of c5xd4 because if we do anything else, they can go d4xc5 and our d6 pawn can't capture in return without exposing the Queens to each other.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

idhrendur posted:

:eng101: Let's explain castling!

Castling is a special move that makes the king and a rook both move at the same time. It can only be done under some circumstances, but first let's cover what it does.

There are two forms of castling: kingside and queenside.

In kingside, the king and the rook on the king's side are used.

The king moves two spaces towards the rook.

Then the rook move one space past the king.

Leading to this final position.

Queenside is similar, except the rook on the queen's side is used.

The king moves two spaces towards the rook.

Then the rook moves two spaces past the king.

Leading to this final position. Notice how the king and rook are more towards the center than with kingside castling.

So when can you castle? Well, first, you cannot do so if either the king or the rook being used have moved.

Second, you cannot if there are any pieces between the king and the rook.

Third, the king cannot be in check (though the rook can be in risk of capture).

Fourth, the king cannot move through any space where it would be in check (the rook can do so, though).

Fifth, the king cannot move into check (as always).

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 18, 2017

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah, Nb1-c3 looks like their best move. I kinda like a7-a6 as a response, forcing them to either lose tempo or trade their bishop for our knight. During the last game came up the fact that bishops are a lot more effective as a pair, so that's an exchange I'd make.
If they castle, I like Bc8-g4, pinning their knight to their queen and forcing them to lose tempo or gently caress up their pawn structure.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

:eng101: One more thing! I mentioned that some of the restrictions for castling don't apply to the rook. Let me show you.

If the rook is threatened, you can still castle (unlike being in check)

As well, the rook can travel through threatened spaces when castling (unlike the king)

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!

LupusAter posted:

If they castle, I like Bc8-g4, pinning their knight to their queen and forcing them to lose tempo or gently caress up their pawn structure.

Flame posted:

Another thing I've thought of. They can try castling next round and we basically have a free move. What if we try Bc8-g4 and pin their Knight? Then we can safely go e7-e5. Any suggestions?
edit: They can a2-a3 and force us to either leave or take their Knight. Hm. Guess we shouldn't try and copy their tactics :)
:)

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Valid objection. And sorry I didn't notice, but since these are not votes I only gave the thread a cursory read to try to form my opinion without being influenced too much.
And you're right, I dicked around on lichess, trying to find a good line, and it pretty much sucks all over. I still think they will develop the knight, but if they castle we shouldn't squander the opportunity.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I kinda like the idea of doing Bc8-g4 as a means to poke a hole in the castling as well as a distracting move if they want to protect their queen, assuming they waste 2 moves doing h2-h3 and h3-g4 while we move other pieces.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 19, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So, if we take the bait and eat their pawn on d4, it starts multiple trades that go: c5-d4, Nf3-d4, Nc6-d4, Qd1-d4. So we would both lose a knight and a pawn but they move their queen to the center.

I like the idea of developing our black square bishop, but would g4 really be that effective? They could just scare us off with h2-h3 same as what we could do with a6-a7 to their bishop.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

If you want an alternative, we could move Qd8-a5 which would put their king in check. Whatever move they do next won't matter because our move after that is Qa5-b5 and remove that bishop. Plus those 2 moves prevent castling.

EDIT: You know what, changing my vote from Bc8-g4 to Qd8-a5+.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 19, 2017

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

We need to be really careful about c3xd4. If they retaliate with Nf3xd4 they can take our pinned Knight, then we have to capture their Knight or it takes our Queen, their Bishop then takes the capturing pawn, and forks our King and Rook.
We can force them on the defensive by going Qd8-a5+, but if they make no mistakes they'll end up with a superior position. We would exchange a Knight for a bishop, but we would have no developed pieces except for a Queen on the side of the board.
I'm abstaining for now, waiting for people to post their reasoning.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

I'm having trouble picturing the sequence after Qd8-a5+ that ends with that trade, can you elaborate more on that?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Frionnel posted:

I'm having trouble picturing the sequence after Qd8-a5+ that ends with that trade, can you elaborate more on that?

With the white king in check, they have 6 options: they could move either of their knights, queen or bishop to d2 or move their pawns to c3 or b4. Odds are they won't move their knights because that would block their queen and bishop.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Sorry, should have specified i was asking LupusAter. Specifically:

quote:

We can force them on the defensive by going Qd8-a5+, but if they make no mistakes they'll end up with a superior position. We would exchange a Knight for a bishop, but we would have no developed pieces except for a Queen on the side of the board.

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
One way I see is going Bc8-c7. We free our Knight and they have a few options.
Bb5xc6: we trade our Knight for their Bishop (which is fine for me), then we trade our pawns. I think they will have a slightly better position, but in the long run, early loss of Bishop could be worse.
d4xc5: practically the same happens, I guess?
d4-d5: this is their best move, I think. They can choose the trade they make (either Bishop for Bishop, Knight for Knight or Bishop for Knight) but it doesn't sacrifice as many pawns as c3xd4.
If someone could provide a better analysis, please do. For now, I'll leave this as my vote, though I consider c3xd4 as an alternative. I don't like moving our Queen since they can move their Knight and the pin continues.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Frionnel posted:

Sorry, should have specified i was asking LupusAter. Specifically:

I might be overlooking something, but if they block the check with Nb1-c3 they'll protect their bishop. We can go a7-a6 to get the bishop, they take our knight, we take it back with a pawn, then pawn exchange and it ends up looking like this.

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 19, 2017

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!

LupusAter posted:

I might be overlooking something, but if they block the check with Nb1-c3 they'll protect their bishop. We can go a7-a6 to get the bishop, they take our knight, we take it back with a pawn, then pawn exchange and it ends up looking like this.
Is it after out turn or theirs? It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Pinning their Knight with our Bishop seems like a good idea here.
edit: On a second thought, no, I'm falling into the same trap as before. drat, this game is tough. Okay, I think moving our Queen now is viable too.

Flame fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 19, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh, I didn't consider Nb1-c3. That definitely mucks up my plan.

EDIT: After some thought, here's what I'm currently thinking:

First we'd go Qd8-a5+; in response white goes Nb1-c3.

Next we'd go Bc8-d4, threatening their knight and to an extent their queen. Wanting to protect their knights, they go Qd1-d3, which protects the knights and moves the queen into play.

And then we are free to castle O-O-O which also frees our knight from protecting the king. I suppose the other side would then also castle O-O.

Afterwards we take the knight Bg4xf3 which then causes them to use their queen Qd3xf3. (I suppose they could use a pawn to g2xf3, but that would expose their king.)

But then we move our knight Nc6xd4 and threaten their queen. In order to prevent a check Ne4-d2+ they move the queen Qf3-e3.

But instead we go Nd4xc2 and threaten their rook.

This is as far as I planned ahead. Does it make sense? Did I miss anything?

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 19, 2017

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

disregard this post

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 19, 2017

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Flame posted:

Is it after out turn or theirs? It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Pinning their Knight with our Bishop seems like a good idea here.
edit: On a second thought, no, I'm falling into the same trap as before. drat, this game is tough. Okay, I think moving our Queen now is viable too.

It's white's move in the board I posted.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Next we'd go Bc8-d4, threatening their knight and to an extent their queen. Wanting to protect their knights, they go Qd1-d3, which protects the knights and moves the queen into play.

And then we are free to castle O-O-O which also frees our knight from protecting the king. I suppose the other side would then also castle O-O.

Afterwards we take the knight Bg4xf3 which then causes them to use their queen Qd3xf3. (I suppose they could use a pawn to g2xf3, but that would expose their king.)

But then we move our knight Nc6xd4 and threaten their queen. In order to prevent a check Ne4-d2+ they move the queen Qf3-e3.

I feel they have no reason to move their queen, their knights are already protected. On a more objective note, if the queen goes qf3-d3 instead of e3 at the end of your sequence it blocks both the check and the attack on the rook.

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 19, 2017

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

LupusAter posted:

You're completely right, i forgot about their other knight.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

In this plan, we haven't captured Bb5 and White didn't move the bishop, so Nc6 is still pinned by it.

I do really like the idea of moving Qd8-a5+ to prevent the castling, but I can't think of any follow-up to the check.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

In this plan, we haven't captured Bb5 and White didn't move the bishop, so Nc6 is still pinned by it.

Castling takes care of that. The main problem I have with this line is that it relies on them loving around with their queen (and making a suboptimal move at the end). Also, castling queenside leaves our king awfully exposed.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LupusAter posted:

Castling takes care of that. The main problem I have with this line is that it relies on them loving around with their queen (and making a suboptimal move at the end). Also, castling queenside leaves our king awfully exposed.

I knew I had to be overlooking something.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LupusAter posted:

This, however, doesn't look too bad for me.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

LupusAter posted:

I feel they have no reason to move their queen, their knights are already protected. On a more objective note, if the queen goes qf3-d3 instead of e3 at the end of your sequence it blocks both the check and the attack on the rook.

I was working under the assumption that they would want to develop their queen, but I suppose they could develop their bishop instead, and Bg4xf3 would definitely cause them to move their queen. I definitely wasn't expecting my sequence to be optimal.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was working under the assumption that they would want to develop their queen, but I suppose they could develop their bishop instead, and Bg4xf3 would definitely cause them to move their queen. I definitely wasn't expecting my sequence to be optimal.

I feel like it would be a little early for them to develop the queen, the board is still cramped and long range attacks are a no go. I gave a more thorough look at the position I linked before, and I kinda like where it leads us, but that's thinking 5-6 moves down the line, so nothing is certain.
We seem to agree that Qd8-a5+ is the best move for now. They might miss the correct play and then it's a free bishop for us, and if they do play correctly, we can still end up taking their bishop and pinning their knight, so let's go ahead with that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm also good with Qd8-a5+

Edit: changed my vote to c5xd4

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 20, 2017

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LupusAter posted:

We need to be really careful about c3xd4. If they retaliate with Nf3xd4 they can take our pinned Knight, then we have to capture their Knight or it takes our Queen, their Bishop then takes the capturing pawn, and forks our King and Rook.

Hoping for White to make a mistake is what cost Black in the previous game. Just saying.

I know this is a newbies' game but i really don't want to underestimate our opponents' ability to read the board and make the right moves. They seem to have played correctly so far.

c5xd4 followed by Nf3xd4 and the threat to our knight in c6 seems to be easily countered by Bc8-d7, which protects the knight in c6 by both the bishop and a pawn. If they want to trigger the exchange of pieces after that (either Bd5xc6 or Nd4xc6), we would end up with the following board, which I'd much prefer over the potential board position Qd8-a5+ would leave us in.

Voting for c5xd4.

E: Some additional thoughts to share.

Even if they don't make the mistake of initiating the exchange of pieces, I still like our board position after Bc8-d7. Their proactive options after this would likely be be Nb1-c3, or O-O. That allows us to go e7-e5 and try to wrest control of the center (if they do the former) or Ng8-f6 and threaten their exposed pawn (if they do the latter).

anakha fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 20, 2017

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Those are good points and that board looks better to me.

c5xd4

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm with anakha with moving the Bishop. Bc5 - d4

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Do you mean the pawn? Our bishops are both in row 8 :)

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 20, 2017

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
anakha pretty much summed up my thoughts. If my idea of moving Bishop is nothing good, I'm voting for c5xd4. This is where Sicilian was going initially anyway.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Alright then i'll vote c5xd4 too.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

I could say that quoting only the first post in a discussion in order to make your point might be a little intellectually dishonest, but when you're right you're right.
Changing my vote to c5xd4

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LupusAter posted:

I could say that quoting only the first post in a discussion in order to make your point might be a little intellectually dishonest, but when you're right you're right.
Changing my vote to c5xd4

Sincere apologies, I had no intention of calling out anyone in particular.

The general discussion up to the time I posted was in favor of the Queen check, and the impression I was getting was that folks were hoping White would miss the Knight block. I was having a hard time putting in words what was bothering me, and it just so happened that the last part of your post captured exactly the verbiage I was looking for.

I'll take care in future moves to avoid doing that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

What do you think is the opponent's best move, and what is your best counter to that move?

Covski fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 20, 2017

• Locked thread