Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

:eng101: Welcome to team black! I'll be checking in regularly if you have questions. Best of luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

idhrendur posted:

:eng101: I had difficulties during the last game because I'm also very tactile when it comes to chess. Worse, I don't currently own a chess board. When I have had them, however, I've found it helpful to lay out the positions, play potential moves, and then walk to the other side of the board to play with responses to those moves. If you have a chess board, that may be helpful.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

idhrendur posted:

:eng101: Let's explain castling!

Castling is a special move that makes the king and a rook both move at the same time. It can only be done under some circumstances, but first let's cover what it does.

There are two forms of castling: kingside and queenside.

In kingside, the king and the rook on the king's side are used.

The king moves two spaces towards the rook.

Then the rook move one space past the king.

Leading to this final position.

Queenside is similar, except the rook on the queen's side is used.

The king moves two spaces towards the rook.

Then the rook moves two spaces past the king.

Leading to this final position. Notice how the king and rook are more towards the center than with kingside castling.

So when can you castle? Well, first, you cannot do so if either the king or the rook being used have moved.

Second, you cannot if there are any pieces between the king and the rook.

Third, the king cannot be in check (though the rook can be in risk of capture).

Fourth, the king cannot move through any space where it would be in check (the rook can do so, though).

Fifth, the king cannot move into check (as always).

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 18, 2017

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

:eng101: One more thing! I mentioned that some of the restrictions for castling don't apply to the rook. Let me show you.

If the rook is threatened, you can still castle (unlike being in check)

As well, the rook can travel through threatened spaces when castling (unlike the king)

• Locked thread