Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

is that ed norton

its a brandon bird print so ofc

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
watch the death of the US internet live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_202l55LU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tatsujin posted:

its a brandon bird print so ofc

oooooooooooooooooh i should've guessed

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

RIP net neutrality

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Anaconda Rifle posted:

RIP net neutrality

*quietly spins up VM on cloud provider in europe and sets up VPN tunnel to it*

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Tatsujin posted:

somehow the ISPs will charge extra for all tunneled traffic

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Anaconda Rifle posted:

somehow the ISPs will charge extra for all tunneled traffic

non-interpretable traffic not destined for a registered ecommerce site will require a business class plan

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tatsujin posted:

seems like a waste of money when you can spin up a vm in a US cloud provider and get all the benefits of their inter-ISP agreements.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

yeah the thing holding me back was AWS charging for bandwidth but if it means I can use a non-poo poo internet its a price im willing to pay

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
net neut going away isn't going to change anything with your internet aside from maybe its a little faster from other networks/content providers paying for upgrades.

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012
Shaggar was r[PLEASE PAY $1.99 TO VIEW ENTIRE POST]

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shaggar posted:

net neut going away isn't going to change anything with your internet aside from maybe its a little faster from other networks/content providers paying for upgrades.
this is not how it has functioned in practice in countries like portugal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its how its functioned in the us prior to 2 years ago.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
let's facetime on my at&t iphone and we can talk about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also Portugal is part of the EU so it already has net neut

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Tatsujin posted:

heres your bill

code:
basic internet						$100
allow vpn		 				$50
long distance packets 100 * $1/GB			$100

Total							$250

pram
Jun 10, 2001
net neutrality doesnt mandate a price on internet access, they could already charge $250 if they wanted

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

in the late 1970s there was a big nostalgia for the largely-imagined good old days of the 1950s, as seen with things like grease and happy days

what would “that 90s show” look like?

would it just be saved by the bell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

what would “that 90s show” look like?

would it just be saved by the bell

daria

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
based on how the 80s show went this is probably quite accurate

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family
ISPs won't change anything directly affecting users because they're all publicly-traded companies, and the PR blowback would inevitably cost them money/investors (at least in the short-term). they'll go for the "paid-prioritization" route that they're already saying they want to do using QoS rules that companies can pay for to get an edge. Netflix pays for prioritization, for example, so during the 7-10pm window of time where something like 75% of all consumer internet traffic in the US is web streaming, Netflix gets an edge over their competitors like Hulu, which will potentially load slower and seem like a shittier service unless they pay for prioritization as well.

of course, then netflix and hulu and etc. will charge the end-users more to make up for the cost of prioritization. consumers pay for it in the end.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
isps used to be dumb pipes

but now their are smart pipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

pram posted:

net neutrality doesnt mandate a price on internet access, they could already charge $250 if they wanted

yes but now they can nickel and dime you in ways they couldn't before, but who knows how things will actually turn out

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if isps start nickel and dimeing content providers they'll be forced to merge to offset the costs and i'm all for ending the current trend of content being balkanized into a bazillion individual services

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Repealing net neutrality is anti-innovation.

In an alternate past Yahoo pays ISPs for prioritization so Google is never able to get off the ground even though they have the better search algorithm.

Really, it's extortion. It's the same business model as a highwayman.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Perplx posted:

yes but now they can nickel and dime you in ways they couldn't before, but who knows how things will actually turn out

doubt it also i dont care if google has to pay more money

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

MSPain posted:

Really, it's extortion. It's the same business model as a highwayman.

this is 100% true, though I think a more accurate metaphor is paying protection to the mob

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pram posted:

doubt it also i dont care if google has to pay more money

That argument wasn't about the Google of today you dummy, it's about the power large corporations now have to stymie any new internet services that could pose a threat to the existing monoliths. There is a long and storied history of capital undercutting innovation of this kind, and now our corporate overlords have yet another tool to employ to maintain their economic hegemony at our expense.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you realize most of that negotiation, for bandwidth and qos, goes on with their tier 1 carriers and wouldnt be MOM&POP NETFLIX literally negotiating with verizon

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do people really think the internet goes from youtube -> their cable modem with nothing in between

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

funy nutrality pics thread

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pram posted:

you realize most of that negotiation, for bandwidth and qos, goes on with their tier 1 carriers and wouldnt be MOM&POP NETFLIX literally negotiating with verizon

Is the idea of top tier tech companies having leverage with carriers or gaining it through corporate consolidation that improbable to you?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

do people really think the internet goes from youtube -> their cable modem with nothing in between

but it does. YouTube now has CDN points in most COs. when you connect to youtube you are connecting to a magical box inside comcast or verizon's central office.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

but it does. YouTube now has CDN points in most COs. when you connect to youtube you are connecting to a magical box inside comcast or verizon's central office.

sounds very un-neutral, how did this happen

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
ISPs have already tried to pull poo poo very similar to what I described

https://www.wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

sounds very un-neutral, how did this happen

the fcc 2015 open internet order explicitly says it doesn't talk about peering or exchange.

there's a bigger war over this in the background, with ISPs saying that settlement-free peering can't uphold in a world where traffic is one-way

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
go ahead and read the order btw, this stuff is mentioned starting on page 86

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-15-24A1.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Your ISP is a Piece Of poo poo

• Locked thread