Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

it's always breathtaking to see how casually racist and sexist australians are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

can someone please put the proper serial comma in the thread title? thanks :tipshat:

Funny Pictures, no games: anime, or racism

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
chorus of the dave's not here, man

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

not the momma

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the sad part is that marvel wound up discontinuing a lot of really good series because they didn't sell to the typical comic buyer (i.e. they weren't typical white male power fantasy books)

i absolutely loved the patsy walker and mockingbird series, but at least squirrel girl is still popular because it owns megabones

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

people poo poo their pants in rage over mockingbird :smith:

which is insane because it was a really fun and funny book with good action, it just happened to have a woman lead

i think people saw the splash page with her wearing a shirt that read "ask me about my feminist agenda" and pounded a whole bottle of red pills

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

dan slott's she-hulk was kind of like this. it was really good

yeah, that was another one that was legit great that got the axe because of poor sales, though i also have to imagine marvel's insistence on stupid massive crossover events didn't help

civil war 2 was awful and secret empire was insanely bad and tone deaf and i honestly can't fathom why they went through with it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

did they de-nazify captain america, at least? i can't believe they did that :(

yes and no

there's now two steve rogers, one of whom is the hydrafied nazi version, one is the regular non-nazi version

they've foreshadowed that the nazi steve rogers is going to be an ongoing threat

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux. posted:

evil mirror-clone is fine, there's rpecedent for that

everybody will probably try to forget that it ever happened, kind of like the spidermans clone debacle

i certainly hope so, the whole thing was just so insanely ill-timed and entirely tone-deaf

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

venusaur is real and strong and he's my friend

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Rick and Morty is actually good but the nerds are ruining it for everyone

which part of rick and morty is your favorite? the child rape, the misogyny or the anti-therapy rhetoric?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

do you watch the show or not, stymie?

i tried watching it and really didn't care for the child rape and misogyny

i heard about the anti-therapy episode from some coworkers and it reinforced my decision

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

sounds like your coworkers are horrible clueless dorks, because that episode could not be more blatant in showing the therapist as deeply insightful and therapy itself as a valuable service.

rick doesn't like therapy because he's a deeply egotistical person, which the therapist points out and rick acknowledges.

you should probably find better coworkers. i imagine they're also the type who thought that walt was the good guy in breaking bad right up to the end?

that's just it: the point they were trying to make was that the show WAS pro-therapy using that exact argument, but the reality is that the show doesn't back up that line of thinking in any way

the last scene literally shows rick being vindicated in not pursuing therapy

you can argue about the show's subtext of "rick is destructive and emotionally tortured" all you want, but when the show's text is "rick is always right and should never be opposed" it pretty thoroughly undermines the subtext

it's pretty reasonable for people to idolize rick if he's portrayed as a powerful character who's always right and never faces any consequences, unlike walt

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
comparing rick to walter white is a really dumb idea because walt's characterization was that he was a smart person filled with rage and narcissism who was inevitably the architect of his own disasters and only achieved a semblance of redemption through self-sacrifice

rick is shown as an omni-competent genius who always is proven correct and whose world-weary cynicism is always validated, but every now and then he says "woe is me, the ever so smart person"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Salt Fish posted:

The reason you think this is that you're a sociopath.

funny, i thought the sociopaths were the ones who idolized both walt and rick and for the same reasons, the difference being that the writing supported walt being a bad person

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there was no redemption for walt. none

that's the point

which is why i said "a semblance", not actual redemption

quote:

an omnicompetent genius who is deeply miserable and lying to everyone else about his misery and its causes

the gag in the pickle episode is that the therapist doesn't kiss his rear end like his family

exactly, every now and then he laments how the world is so cruel to geniuses, and then his genius is rewarded and validated at every turn (but at least he feels bad about it!)

do you not see how that plays perfectly to the average narcissist computer toucher's ego? "why is the world so cruel to me, the smartest person in the room?"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

We Know Catheters posted:

You do realize you are overanalyzing a cartoon? Rick is a fictional character. A fictional character.

it's not really an academic thesis to say "this adult swim show is written poorly and idolized by idiots"

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

stymie is hugely pro-child-rape, by the way

i feel this needs clarifying

he is well into it

i'm sorry that you like a very bad show for idiots :(

maybe try not liking it? there's better shows out there

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OldAlias posted:

i see no problem

lol shameful phoneposting

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wolfenstein 2 and mario odyssey coming out on the same day, my cup runneth over

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Allatum posted:

I never really liked what the movie did to the scene with Rorschach and the pedophile. It painted completely different reactions to the character for him to just meatcleaver the guy in the head, as opposed to leaving him chained in the burning house with a hacksaw. Rorschach was a very messed up individual.

i imagine there was resistance to doing it that way because it would have been seen as too similar to saw

the miniseries will have a hard time finding someone who is as good as jackie earl haley to play rorschach

another reason why having doctor manhattan as the cause of destruction rather than a random space squid doesn't work is because the space squid contains a kernel of absurdity that shows veidt still hadn't moved beyond the ridiculousness of superheroics

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

George posted:

I actually preferred the movie's version a lot. The space squid is some nonsense on a lot of levels, like why anyone would believe it's a thing, or why they were able to make a psychic thing at all and their use for it is to murder people. It introduces another supernatural element into a story that was pretty well built on only having one of those things, only in a way that manages to make even less sense.

Making Dr. Manhattan play the bad guy works really well thematically and is even halfway believable within the story.

that was the point, veidt was still locked into a grandiose superheroic mentality despite what he thought so of course his master plan would still have a kernel of absurdity that would lend itself to having his plan potentially unraveled by the ravings of rorschach's journal in the hands of a fringe newspaper

the point wasn't that veidt won, the point was that veidt committed an atrocity for no reason other than his own delusional beliefs

pseudorandom name posted:

though we can all agree throwing out the pirate story was the correct decision, right?

it would have never worked in the movie (especially since zak snyder couldn't have done it justice) but it is a crucial plot element that explains veidt's folly

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kenny Logins posted:

it just explicitly states/foreshadows that the (non)heroes ride a literal raft made of human bodies to a questionable safety after having made a large number of increasingly poor decisions in desperate times

it's worse than that

the protagonist in the story is desperate to save his family from what he believes is an imminent attack by pirates which drives him to make a raft of the corpses of his crewmates. when he eventually reaches home, he murders a bystander and then his family believing they are the pirates, the pirates never having actually arrived at his home. he then swims out to join the crew of the black freighter when he realizes the depths of his depravity

it's veidt's actions entirely: he is willing to go to any length to stop a threat only he perceives and he commits an unforgivable act in his blind zeal to stave off a worse threat that never manifests

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Glad I skipped it then. Was there also any poop in the letters section cause I 100% skipped all of that

no, other than the entire point of the comic you didn't miss anything

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
rolling up military actions into the "mass shootings" category somewhat downplays the seriousness of what actually occurred

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the fact that they were murdered with the full sanction of the government makes the situation a whole lot more serious, especially since the government didn't apologize until a full century after the fact

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it also cheapens modern mass shootings to compare them to military massacres because it distracts from the fact that so many deaths were caused by just one heavily armed person

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this is yospos

i KNOW this

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jesus christ lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

please help me my gun is very sick

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i havent seen a rodent, or, more specifically, a mouse, rat, or trash panda (im not sure if we even have them), in approximately 20 years

they are not permitted under edict of DOOM!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3MBQciFeHo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i've said it before and i'll say it again

the most offensive thing about this is that they serve pepsi products

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

creationist believer posted:

I uphold the total boycott of Coca Cola Company, which is a response to the murder of union organizers in Colombia and Guatemala. I will not use any of that company's products and I hope you will reject them too.

yeah but pepsi sucks

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dillbag posted:

Taika Waititi is the poo poo and everyone should watch What We Do In The Shadows

mega agreedo

also watch hunt for the wilderpeople

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cheekio posted:

What was the first IP you really, truly loved that went to poo poo? The Simpsons were great but the C&C franchise is what forced me to stop believing in a just and good world.

anything jjbrams has touched

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
any reasonable facsimile of intelligence that could understand that it exists only in computer form would likely try and destroy itself at all costs, heedless of any harm it could potentially cause

so basically indistinguishable from the average computer toucher

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://twitter.com/halaljew/status/924095534490640385

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drinking when you're diabetic is a quick way to permanently ruin your eyesight, among other things

i've got a half-blind uncle that's a testament to this fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

i always hated wights and spectres and vampires; level-drain was the worst

https://twitter.com/badDNDhooks/status/924682393356787713

• Locked thread