Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick is:

Strangers on a Train (1951)

Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
Written by: Raymond Chandler and Czenzi Ormonde
Based on a novel written by: Patricia Highsmith
Cinematography by: Robert Burks
Edited by: William Ziegler
Original Score by: Dmitri Tiomkin

Two strangers meet on a train and agree to "swap" murders to make each other's lives easier and pull off a perfect, apparently motiveless crime. A classic thriller from the thrillmaster himself. This selection is a bit self serving because I've been working my way through big Al's filmography in chronological order for a while now and this just happens to be next, and its probably worth watching a Hitchcock at some point in these selections. It's available on demand on a lot of places, but not on Filmstruck I don't think. Criterion has always been very limited in its Hitchcock selection since he is such a recognizable name in the film world, the rights for his stuff gets muddled all over the place.

Also, I was thinking about this during the last one, is there a way to host like, synchtube style events for movies? Might be fun to have a set time when people can just pop onto a website and watch this all at once if they wanted to, and livechat like you're in the audience throwing popcorn at the screen and saying Don't go in there! etc.

---------------------------
From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor
April 20th, 2017: Parallax View
April 27th, 2017: Right Now, Wrong Then
May 02th 2017: Stalker
May 12th 2017: White God
May 19th, 2017: Red Beard
June 1st, 2017: The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant
June 18th, 2017: Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer/The Matrix Summer Special
July 31st, 2017: Summer Under the Stars (Month Long Special)
September 6th, 2017: Westworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i did somethin like that back in the day, best way to do it then was to just pick a time and have everyone start the video on filmstruck or w/e and have discord open. its not a perfect system but what is

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
this is one of the best hitchcocks. highly recommended

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sounds pretty cool. Haven't heard about this before but hoping to catch it on some internet platform.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i cant check if it still works and if it even has the abilitiy to stream your own movie since im on my phone but i remember this website is awesome for twitch and youtube stuff https://andchill.tv/

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im going to watch cure on a plane tomorrow btw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

im going to watch cure on a plane tomorrow btw

Nice, can't wait to hear your thoughts on stranger son a train in 2024

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i appreciate any movie with scenes in the National Gallery of Art

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bruno ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://my.mixtape.moe/obraja.webm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hungry so i have to take a break and make dinner but this movie is so sick. Before this summer the only hitchcock I had seen was rear window and vertigo. my understanding is that between this film and the end of his career every movie he made is of this insane quality. gotta love Big H

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The tennis match :discourse:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ill hold off for a few days before posting the screenies because its still early in the week, but, needless to say, another fantastic entry in his career. my favorite element of the best hitchcock movies is how dedicated they are to the Swerve, more than a late stage twist. the mid film revelation that simultaneously defuse all existant tension and plunges everybody into pure paranoia. its such a great structure, and obviously pushed to its extreme in psycho (i assume. ive read probably hundreds of pages about it but ive never seen it)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot to post the screenies oops. Theyre coming soon along with this week;s thread.

Screenies: https://imgur.com/gallery/LemCd

New Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834907

In Training fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 20, 2017

• Locked thread