Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I read War and Peace like 3 years ago and theres a bit that i dont understand to this day. Its when Natasha is making her societal debut at that ball and Andrei is just coming out of his depression iirc and he sees her and they begin their romance. The one that has the really good seen in the soviet film of it where they dance and the music is all frantic. Well that said, the part I dont get is after he asks the countess to dance with natasha and then does it all and like returns her to take a break, he walks towards pierre and thinks something like "if she looks to her cousin and then looks back at me, i'll marry her." i dont loving get this part at all and it tortures me. what does looking at her cousin have to do with it.

Thanks for the help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

bump

charms
Oct 14, 2012

The cousin thing is because it's such a clear display of her feelings (she's out of her element, so she gauges someone with more knowledge about this kind of thing). He was already charmed by her candor, which set her apart from all the other ladies at the ball, so the "if x then marry" part isn't literal, the sentiment is something more like "please be real" in his mind. If I remember right he also acts like this around some politician later on in the book.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

charms posted:

The cousin thing is because it's such a clear display of her feelings (she's out of her element, so she gauges someone with more knowledge about this kind of thing). He was already charmed by her candor, which set her apart from all the other ladies at the ball, so the "if x then marry" part isn't literal, the sentiment is something more like "please be real" in his mind. If I remember right he also acts like this around some politician later on in the book.

that makes sense given what we know of both of their characters. andrei is taking his first steps out of his war-and-wife-death-depression and up until now has been pretty dang disillusioned by everything, natasha really is just a nice little girl at this pt so i can understand why itd be endearing to him.

thnx

• Locked thread