Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

uh there's absolute tons of writing that manages plenty of background detail, you just don't interrupt the flow of the action to dwell on something unless you want to alert the reader that this is narratively significant.

for genre fiction, IDK, Morbi maybe take a look at Neuromancer. Never loses the flow of the narrative, never uses the Tolkien blowhard exposition dump format but still paints such an extremely vivid picture that people have made scores of absolutely identical-looking and -feeling movies knocking it off. Everything it does, it does in word choice and brief descriptors right in the flow of the action.

How about Unsounded? Ashley Cope manages to add world details into the story in a way that makes sense to people both reading and being part of the story, and has a separate wiki/github/whatever that she nerds out on the minute background details at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Off topic(and how magical it is), I bought and fried quail eggs today for the first time. They were exquisite.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Woah, Rjinder's skin monster. :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

the old ceremony posted:

lmao i'm looking at tapas.io's forum and y i k e s i haven't even posted and i think i'm already banned

There's forums like that out there. Funny anecdote, back when the CAD mock thread was a thing, I thought it'd be a good idea to register an account on the CAD forums for some reason. I don't remember why, probably safari related, whatever. Anyway, i registered under the same as here and immediately got banned by the mods doing new user authentication for having the name of a trademarked product as my username. So yeah. In hindsight, it was probably for the best.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cat Mattress posted:

Same ploy twice? I don't remember the first time.

Poppy isn't necessarily very good at coming up with new moves.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cat Mattress posted:

The Sword Interval was pretty funny today.

That dick totally deserved it after what he forced Reg into doing.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I do not recall my very first webcomic. I believe it might've been either VGCats, 8BT, CTRL+ALT+DEL, or some other poo poo like that. I've since learned better though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wrist Watch posted:

So turns out I bookmarked that post, if anyone else was unfamiliar/curious: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383735&pagenumber=456&perpage=40#post392676421

I linked to a few posts above it just to highlight how out of loving nowhere it was

Man, I really need to get archives/platinum someday.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

There's a guy(?) in Sword Interval who does horrible demonic poo poo based around teeth.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, did petunia's dad kill two people or...?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So... I noticed Morbi's site has been down for a few days. Like, down down. White screen, and isitdown says the server isn't responding. Did... Did Poppy finally fully die? :ohdear:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is good.

:emptyquote:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Morbi posted:

It's important to keep in mind that Chicadino's power isn't hearing in a physical sense. It's not interacting with any of the inner-ear structures that can get damaged or overwhelmed by loud or constant noises.
He also found a way to create a network of proxies, who catalog all of the information gathered in the "Little Birdy room" mentioned in Harley's letter and briefly seen in the Gang War chapter.
Little Birdy's only true weakness is that some people are really annoying when they think no one is listening.

Like that one guy from waaaay long ago who kept singing that Bah Ram Ewe song from back around the gang fight story.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oxxidation posted:

fazzi's lucky star gives her vocal chords squarewave properties so it's probably like getting serenaded by a fax machine

Now I want to hear a version fed through the Floppotron.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 7, 2018

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Woah Chicadino. I really love all this Poda stuff, and i think it's because she? It? Is such a loving monster. It's super unsettling in a good way how much of a body horror vibe I'm getting from the shots of Poda mid-change.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In other news, A Better Place is currently hitting a very large fan with all the poo poo it can muster. I kinda wanna give context for the latest page, but I feel like just posting it makes the actual context that much more juicy to see.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well I ended up reading all the way through A Better Place.
The number of readers commenting whose opinion appears to be 'aww, Hannah is just an unfortunate and unhappy child and anyone trying to hurt her is bad' are... well. That distresses me.

Yeah, I skipped the entirety of the comments section there. Actually, I tend to skip all comment sections when I can. I will say though, that I like how ABP uses both the descriptions and tags for the comic to tell extra bits of the story. It adds a neat kind of extra layer to each page.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh good, someone I can ask for confirmation: Mr. Bun is pretty clearly linked to the eldritch being at the start, right? I'm holding out hope that said entity shows up again, it was great.

How far along are you? If you're caught up, then Mr. Bun is definitely linked to the terrors. I believe the explanation is that the terrors are created by Hannah in her sleep, hence 'terrors' and all, and that anything strictly created by Hannah is somehow all linked together. The catch is that this only seems to apply to things Hannah created without meaning to do so. Mr. Bun was Hannah's first accidental creation, her first advisor, and kinda came into being almost instinctually. The terrors are definitely created instinctually, since Hannah makes them in her sleep. Mr. Bun has the ability to control terrors in a limited fashion. He can get them to go places and make them stop moving, or attack specific areas. We just don't know exactly why he's linked to them or how far his powers of control go or what exactly he's trying to do yet. My personal theory is that Mr. Bun is actually a terror, himself. He came to Hannah when she was desperate, exhausted, and almost at the end of her rope. I just went and looked, and the specific updates are 98-100 where all this is kind of explained.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh, yeah I knew that, but it looks like Mr. Bun might be related specifically to the deity-thing that gave Hannah her powers in the first place? Just, given some of the below-comic text seems to imply that Mr. Bun collecting the artifact bits is weakening the walls between here and wherever the other thing is.

Ah, yeah, my bet there is that the stone bits are either direct pieces of, or representations of, the stone gateway thing that acted as the anchor for the deity-thing that gave Hannah her powers to begin with. My impression here is that he's gonna collect the pieces and somehow fuse them back together and bring the being back and attempt to make it take away Hannah's powers and bring everything back to the way it was in an attempt to "make things right", as he wants. I'm willing to bet money he sacrifices himself to do it, to. I'm slightly less willing to bet money that Hannah will somehow have become more powerful than the being and wreck its poo poo and therefore gently caress things up permanently.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

https://twitter.com/benshootsthings/status/1077230167158870016

Merry Christmahanakwanzika, everyone!

EDIT: Dang, how do you embed tweets again?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 25, 2018

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TwoPair posted:

Ahem, it's called Winter-een-mas.

gently caress, now I am ashamed. Have this rare SFW Oglaf as absolution:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

avshalemon posted:

i know that my webcomic and i are one and the same. it pulses within me like some foul organ, packed with eggs almost ready to be laid

This is completely off topic, but I'm intensely curious. Why do you seem so... engrossed? No, obsessed? Maybe. I guess infatuated, with the general concepts and ideas of egg laying, birds/chickens, anal... reverse birthing? Unbirthing? And webcomics and people/yourself being bodily intertwined? It's just, such a weird gimmick to have. I'm not trying to like, call you out or anything, I genuinely wanna know at this point.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I mean, while I don't disagree with the GC issues posted thus far, does every plot point really need to be resolved in a conclusive and satisfying way to the reader? Using Tony "Is A Bit Of A Tosser" Carver as an example, yeah, he's been loving lovely to his daughter. There's no getting around that. But from Annie's perspective, which the comic has most always been shown from, it doesn't really matter why he's been lovely. All she wants is for him to accept her and be A Dad to. Last chapter, she got that a bit. Sure, it's not a satisfying end of that problem for us, the readers, but holy crap did it mean worlds to her. If he continues in that direction, then as far as Annie's concerned, who gives a poo poo why he did what he did, he's better now.

As for the Loup stuff, this is going on now because Coyote planned it to happen. There's no way he didn't know it would happen this way. Something's going to happen at the end of this, but I don't know if there's enough info right now to figure out what. For now, all we can do is deal with the mess he's made, one problem at a time. The current problem is figuring out the twin Annie situation. No one quite has an answer yet to the issue because no one knows what's up. The characters in the comic haven't had months to mull over every time little detail and nuance that's been presented thus far. They've had, what, about a day? They're trying out ideas and hypotheses as they go and eventually they'll figure it out, like they always do.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Came here to post about that. I kinda like to think that because Claire has no spine, she's not got the backbone to even hint that she's using Violet to sooth her mind and troubles. I wonder how long it'll last, and just how spectacularly it'll blow up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So Sword Interval seems to be wrapping up. It just dropped the comic title in the latest update, and poo poo's going downhill for everyone. A good time to catch up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In other news, A Better Place has just hit the next "Oh poo poo" moment since I last posted about it, which is a good point to post here about it. For instance:

Given what we can infer about Mr. Bun there, it's safe to assume that poo poo's about to get hosed. Really hard. He's never been one much for subtlety, and I don't think he's got any stops left to pull out by this point, so the City of Coins should hope it can put up a better fight than the City of Blades.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

habeasdorkus posted:

Binged 2-3 weeks ago after clicking a link from someone's av on SA and loved it. Sadly, I'm all caught up. 100% desirous of Starchman Stars.

e: it was neogeo0823, thank you neogeo0823 for adding that joy to my life.

You're welcome :)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

This week, in A Better Place, poo poo goes from hitting a fan, to hitting another fan, to hitting a third fan, and then to this:

And as for The Sisters, get your boss fight music playing, because uh...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

isasphere posted:

Tales from Alderwood just concluded its third chapter and it's suitably :stare:

Imgur had the entirety of that third chapter in a post, and I hadn't yet read the first two chapters, but even then, uh, yeah. Huh.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I found this neat thing, which seems to be undergoing a site move at the moment. Magic Mimic is about a mimic in a dungeon that wants to become a human so that they can go out and explore the world. It's got a lovely art style, and I wanna see it continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

TBH I had to drop the Gunnerkrigg thread before it depressed me enough to drop the comic. I stopped going in there a bit after Anthony was introduced, because the thread was just page after page after page after page of back and forth hatred and fanboying over the guy. And then I went back a couple years later and it was just page after page after page after page of Loup hatred with like 20% Anthony back and forth. I don't know why, but I went back in there today, and was surprised that there weren't troll posts about how Omega might just be Loup in disguise!!1! or some bullshit.

Like, the comic hasn't been great for years, I'll not argue that. But that thread is a special box of misery and masochism.