Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
It's not just webcomics, it's very much an art in general thing. An artist's style evolves and changes over time. Usually that does mean there are dips in quality as they try to learn something new and how to make it work and all that. But after they figure it out, they are often in a much better place than where they were before. Some artists do crystallize into one thing and stay there but then they become pretty much unable to do anything else, so that's a mixed bag. Some really good artists are able to develop multiple distinct styles but that takes an exceptionally long time and not everyone can pull that off. Alex Toth is probably one of the more well known examples of that.

For most though, this kind of thing is pretty much core to the art process, otherwise you stagnate and your growth comes to a screeching halt.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Kruxy posted:

another question, since the webcomic thread in CC is basically dead.

I have a facebook page for my comic and have just been updating it on publication days with a thumbnail and a link to the new comic.

But I was wondering if you all thought it would be a good idea if I started posting the actual comics there too, but like a month behind. So that the page has content, but if you want the current comic then you need to visit the website. It's all gag-a-day so there's no story or continuity that people have to keep up with.

Or will this just result in everyone being a month behind on my comics cause people are lazy. Or people complaining that the comics I'm posting are old. I only have 30ish followers right now, but wanted to put together something that could be shared.

I'd say the more places where people can view your work the better, Its another opportunity to snag someone's attention. Don't have to post like every comic there (not that doing so would be bad, at worst it couldn't hurt) but you could just post like single panels or whole pages you felt were particularly good too instead of just the thumbnail on some days.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, I think it's likely that Petunia was telling the truth when she was talking about her mother. It just so happens that Petunia is also a horrible person. It can be both.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I wanna start doing a comic at some point, so I'm sketching out a short one to get a better feel for it. It's not ready just yet, but just checking, is this the right thread to get some feedback on it once it's further along, or would I want to just put it in the making comics thread? Or both? Anyway here's how the first page is looking so that there's something in this post to look at even if it's all sketchy looking:

Making comics thread would be the place for it but that thread is pretty low activity now. So maybe try both that one and this one to maximize your chances on getting feedback. Neither thread is so busy that posting in both should be a problem.

Hell at this point, you might want to try putting the occasional page in the daily drawing thread too, cause at least that gets a fair amount of traffic. That could help with getting feedback on specific pages anyways. There's probably still a few comic artists in there that don't participate in the other comic threads anymore.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Twenty Four posted:

Likely not the fault of the author of those books as that stuff gets outsourced, maybe they are good I have no idea, but basically all the covers are a planet with a space ship flying past, as seen in the link above.

This is an understatement. There's a reason why a lot of fiction book covers are generic and don't actually represent the book's content. Usually the artist will get a small blurb from the publisher of what they want, but will not be in contact with the author or even know what the book is about in any detail. The author usually has no say at all and it's up to the publisher and marketing to decide what they think will make the book sell.

There is the occasional exception where authors can offer some feedback or even have some amount of control in very rare cases but even a lot of successful and well known authors have to deal with this. It's just a norm for the industry.

Plenty of authors out there loathe the covers their publishers picked out for them so I don't think it's worth reading much into book covers in general.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It would be funny if the show finished before the comic did

A massive work made by one person takes a long period of time so it's not that weird or even uncommon. The show has a decent sized team working on it and I'm pretty sure Butler does the comic by herself. She's also probably doing a lot of work on the show as well, she's not updated the comic since the kickstarter for the pilot wrapped up.

Though maybe inbetween now and the show maybe getting picked up she might return to updates.

Ditocoaf posted:

Wait, the animation that put the comic on hold for years is a "pilot"? Is the comic dead?

They want to make it into a full show but they need to be picked up by a studio first. The pilot is the first step for that. Animation is very expensive and time consuming and it took a lot of manpower and money just to produce that pilot. Though if it does get picked up I imagine it'll be a while before we see comic updates but you never know. If Martin can be working on his book six for as long as he has, it's too early to say that anything is "dead". Lackadaisy isn't anywhere near that yet.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2023

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

that probably depends on if someone picks it up and offers her a whole bunch of money to ditch the comic for showbiz

the comic took an incredible amount of time between updates even when back when it was just one-off vignettes on Deviantart, it was always going to be a miracle if it reached any kind of conclusion before Butler got sick/got a more demanding job/got bored/arm fall off. That's kinda the nature of weird experimental passion projects some maniac is making in their own free time for decades. This... significantly improves the odds of some version of Lackadaisy getting there?

Yeah that's a fair point. This comic has been running for a long time and it still feels like it's in the early stages of the story. That said the quality has always been so good that I think I'd be happy with any pages even if it never gets an "ending".

I really hope they get a lot of success with the show, no matter the status of the comic.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah I definitely agree.

I guess I can see why people would think otherwise since some of Oscar's first interactions with Sylvia was him literally hitting on her. And both of them seem to mean well in their interactions. But I think the writing in the comic has been pretty clear at stating that things will get really really bad at some point. Isn't there even some implication that she's been passively (likely unknowingly) draining his strength to become more tangible? I don't remember when but I could have sworn there was.

Either way, this is definitely not a healthy nor sustainable situation for either of them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Wilde Life: The art has been doing a good job of conveying these two are hot and into each other, but I'm having a hard time getting over the kidnapping thing. Birdie's decisions were so bad and she hasn't even told him her name yet. Please, Oscar, for the love of God, learn to recognize a red flag at some point.

To be fair

If Oscar was capable of making good decisions there wouldn't be a comic.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

Was the Dresden Codak artist the one who said that constantly drawing all their female characters (and only their female characters) naked or nearly naked was actually empowering for women because the characters chose to dress that way?

Yeah it was Diaz. I'm not sure exactly what she said in that regard but I remember it was enough to get Cubewatermelon of all people to draw some art making fun of her for it. I think it's the only time I've ever seen her throw shade at someone (though fairly lighthearted still).

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 20, 2024

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

flatluigi posted:

tbqh I forgive a decent chunk of that now that she's figured out her gender

Yeah that definitely puts a different context on things, looking at it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rexxed posted:

This is the second time Never Satisified stopped, isn't it?

Yes. Though the last time it was stopped, it was restarted with a completely new version of the story. This time the comic looks to just be completely over.

They already have another comic they are working on instead. Webcomics are pretty difficult and I'm sure this was a really good learning experience.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 12, 2024