Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Clear your schedules to watch Rauner play the whole Blago-Pritzker phone conversation on TV stations.

http://abc7chicago.com/politics/rauner-plans-to-air-entire-blagojevich-pritzker-wiretap/2963761/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The part of the call that I've heard sounds like Blago being Blago and Pritzker going "mmmmhhmmm" a lot, like I can just picture JB nodding his head and giving the hand job gesture while talking. I guess they're hoping every one hears how sleazy Blago is and just start associating that with JB, but it seems way early for Rauner to play this card.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Brookfielder here in Lipinkski's district. I get a bunch of stuff for Marie from Indivisible groups.

binaryhermit posted:

I read somewhere Newman has an internal poll showing she's up 5 points in the primary. My head calls bullshit but my heart hopes she is winning.

Sort of, but sadly, not really. It was from January 9th.

“We have results of businesswoman Marie Newman’s polling in the primary race against longtime incumbent Dan Lipinski. Newman leads by 5 points after voters are told about Lipinski’s conservative voting record. Without that messaging, however, Lipinski would crush an unknown Newman.”

Edit, the article was from January 9th. The memo it was based on was from Decemeber 7th, so lot of time has passed.

https://www.marienewmanforcongress.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Newman-IL-03-Brief-Poll-Memo.pdf

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The ERA squeaked by with a vote to spare.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-equal-rights-amendment-illinois-20180530-story,amp.html

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he just liked him on The Apprentice

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On the radio I get a ton of ads full of people talking about leaving the state, but it’s some supposedly non-partisan property tax focused group running them. Maybe it’s just sports radio, which I will be angrily avoiding for a few days anyway.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
College kid tries to run for 13th Ward Alderman and gets 1700 petition signatures. Opponents impressively get 2700 people to sign affidavits revoking their signatures for his petition.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-chicago-13th-ward-alderman-race-kass-20181206-story.html

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well it’s John Kass and not a real news article, hence the sensationalist trash. Impressive none the less.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What an odd story the petition revoking thing is becoming. The kid candidate had an order of protection placed against him from an ex-girlfriend last year.

https://capitolfax.com/2018/12/18/ives-backs-krupa-even-after-allegations-emerge/

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love that Kass thought "reporting" this story in a few columns would be a great burn on Madigan (rightfully still makes MM look bad), but it turns out it just brought to light what a weasel the kid is.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stella’s is the batting cages in Lyons! That also have video slots...

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My podunk town's politics are getting exciting.

https://www.rblandmark.com/News/Articles/2-26-2019/Brookfield-trustee-candidate-under-fire-for-Facebook-posts/

quote:

"Facebook is not a reality, and I don't think people realize that," said Galbraith in response to being confronted by Brookfield resident Mark McCann about his social media presence at a candidate meet-and-greet hosted by Indivisible Brookfield at Slager's on 47th on Feb. 19.

"I post things on Facebook against the people that are posting kill Trump and kill Trump and kill Trump," Galbraith said, "just to show that it goes both ways."

The only thing dumber than those facebook posts is knowing that those questions were coming and having that be your best response.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Help me out with my cynicism and the mechanics of this. Mechanically, that's the proposal to get support for a ConCon so that he can pass this tax plan? Cynically, depending on the wording, if the ConCon works then they can change the tax rates after that with a majority then? If so is there any way all those tax brackets aren't back over 5% in a few years after that? Not that Illinois doesn't need the money.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The X-man cometh posted:

That's the thing. If you think policing is the only issue, Lightfoot is completely in the wrong. But if you care about schools, handouts to corporations and developers, or tax equity, then she's far better than Preckwinkle.

The X-man cometh posted:

That's the thing. If you think policing is the only issue, Lightfoot is completely in the wrong. But if you care about schools, handouts to corporations and developers, or tax equity, then she's far better than Preckwinkle.

Yeah, but what about Periwinkle?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well the Jussie thing sure got a lot more interesting and a lot more political.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Try https://www.ballotready.org

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
WBBM just said final results were in and Mell lost by 13 votes. Still needs to be certified.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/rrhinton/status/1118283946679312385

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/middle-class-americans-are-sick-elite-privilege/589849/

quote:

It’s Time to Hold American Elites Accountable for Their Abuses

If Democrats want to address simmering middle-class anger, they need to deliver justice.
6:00 AM ET
Rahm Emanuel
Okay then.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Luuke

I work in Calumet City maybe 1/2 mile from the border and I've never purposely driven into IN before to get gas, although if I'm over the border for some other reason I filled up. Will see if I think it's worth it with the tax hike, but if as an avid soda drinker I didn't even cross for that when the Cook County tax was up, I doubt I will for gas.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rough day for west Cook County peeps. Summit, McCook, and Lyons village offices had the FBI stop by. Getty in Lyons is a supreme dirtbag, his handpicked school board candidates turned my old grade school in D103 into a shitshow.

*** UPDATED x5 - Looking at McCook contractors - IRS involved - “Investigative activity” in Summit - Lyons mayor insurance office raided - Lyons, “other locations” also raided *** Report: “Multiple locations” raided by FBI

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Senate President John Cullerton told his caucus at the end of veto session Thursday night that he plans to retire and step away from his post in January.
https://wgntv.com/2019/11/14/illinois-senate-president-john-cullerton-to-retire-in-january/

Inneresting

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can’t wait to force NWI to join us in the state’s crusade against DST.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Game recognizes game. Not sure Trump even thought of shaking down a children’s hospital.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I usually early vote, but the thrill of voting on St. Patrick's day is tempting.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, my hair stylist guy posted about it on Facebook immediately. Haircuts for me but not for thee. It’s not the best look for her, well not in that way.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure the stylist did. Not sure why Lightfoot thought it was a good idea to mention it.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m not sure how much stock to put in some of those polls as, anecdotally speaking, I know a lot of people that say they support the social distancing guidelines, but don’t follow them particularly well.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/BauerJournalism/status/1260303508307349504

Edit: and man did he step in it answering the baseball question.

KDdidit fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 13, 2020

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Menards is my go -to snack food and drinks store, their prices are great.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Brookfield Residents: We are requesting that you remain indoors if at all possible as there are large disturbances and looting taking place near North Riverside Mall. Multiple reports of shots fired in that area. Please hold off all requests for NON-EMERGENCY calls or inundate the WC3 Dispatch Call Center with inquires about protesters. Many police agencies present.

Sorry, I’m a white dude, I’ll be fine out there.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Unless you got a press badge, then you just as hosed.

Yeah, nobody’s patrolling Brookfield.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chicago has a unique COVID strain: research.

quote:

Chicagoans are being infected with a unique strain of COVID-19 that’s linked to the early coronavirus outbreak in China, according to new research. Northwestern Medicine scientists have determined that the Chicago area “is a melting pot for different versions of the virus because it is such a transportation hub,” Dr. Egon Ozer
Chicago tough!

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The random soliciting ATT guys had masks on but pulled them down as soon as they started into their monologue. The "can we look at your roof?" guys had nothing and didn't even back away from the door when I opened it. Brookfield/LaGrange area I'd say is 95% (sort of) masked in decent stores and maybe 75% is the gas station/7-11 type places. Don't expect that to last through.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FuscoChris/status/1284113683128483840

They had to have been hoping for more.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Travel? Pfft, they'll try to move to Indiana and Wisco to play school sports.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Jackson County has been pretty bad lately. We had a big surge last week (mostly young people), and several restaurants in Carbondale have re-closed because their staff tested positive. And then there's...

CLOSE ON WING TUESDAY!?!?!?! I THINK NOT!

Our (west suburban Cook ) district offered online or "blended" which is 2.5 hours a day 8-10:30 or 12-2:30 (10:30-12 is additional special ed stuff) 5x a week with the other 1/2 day online. We opted just to keep out 2nd grader home, not for health reasons, but because 2.5 hours of instruction (less with hand washing and reasonable safety precautions) in only the 3 R's (maybe some state requirement that they have to get that in?) in the same classroom for a gifted student isn't worth the time investment of getting her to school and back with no buses, certifying temperature checks every day, and the possibility of some classroom health event sending her back home anyway. I'm not out here saying there's a good answer to school so I'm not busting down my school admins doors to complain, but I get why many of the parents trying to work feel like class only going to 10:30 every day doesn't help their schedules in the least. I did email admin though because we're supposed to fill out a form saying what you're choosing, and if it's remote, why you chose it. Problem is there are only 3 choices and you have to pick one, student medical condition, someone else at home has a medical condition, or "will cause considerable anxiety for the student or family." Well it's none of those reasons so it can't be helping their data collection that I have to respond incorrectly.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Meh, I think they're kicking the can down the road. I'd be stunned if there's any basketball this winter or football in the spring this year. I appreciate JB trying to fall on the sports grenade though and letting everyone just blame him if some sports don't go.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle and health officials confirm that stricter guidelines, similar to Chicago, will be announced Friday to address increasing COVID-19 numbers throughout the county.

But details about the guidelines had not yet been released early Friday morning.

Cook County health officials will only say the stricter guidelines will be similar to Chicago, where there have been more restrictions on bars, restaurants and fitness centers.
"It would be fair to say that I think we're looking at some of those, some of those same kinds of measures," said Demian Christiansen, Cook County's director of communicable disease control and prevention. "We obviously don't want it to get out of control, like we've seen in some other areas. We definitely want to put a lid on as much of this as possible."

I can't believe Loyola (the hospital) fully reopened their fitness center last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Will County health officials are trying to track down dozens of Lincoln-Way East graduates and chaperones who recently attended a student-organized prom in Indiana after a “couple” of attendees tested positive for the coronavirus.

The event had been planned since April.

“We’re aware of it,” Steve Brandy, a Will County Health Department spokesman, said Wednesday. “Contact tracers are getting in touch with people who were there.”

The effort comes after tracers talked to a couple of people who were at the function and who tested positive for COVID-19, he said. Brandy said he did not know the exact number and whether the positive cases were Lincoln-Way East recently graduated seniors or chaperones.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/daily-southtown/ct-sta-lincoln-way-east-prom-st-0730-20200729-yldlyt2yu5c3hmbjpe25yxe5fu-story.html

What an unexpected outcome.