Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh dear sweet lord, thank you for the political comedy gifts you bestow upon us, and may the piss tape eventually be broadcast. Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

baquerd posted:

It may have hosed the town, but the state probably benefited, no?

Hahahaha. Foxconn keeps revising the actual number of jobs generated down, and also added an asterisk that basically says "Oh you know how there's this bigass city with a ton of talent about an hour and half south? We'll be hiring a lot of people from there."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
We were just shamed by a rep from wisconsin.

Only blood can erase this stain.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also what rich powerful people were on his side?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean, we did.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

drat, the hardcore Rs are defending this move as 1)Blago being sentenced too hard for a small crime and 2)Trump realizing that Blago was the fall guy for someone “much higher than him”.

Who? loving WHO WAS HIGHER THAN HIM?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Like here's the loving thing with that rumor, California just put the entire state on lockdown. Most of the libraries are closed and the librarians are pissed that there are some still open. The restaurants and bars are all shut down. Schools are shut down. At this point it very much is a matter of when not if and we're all just guessing when.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
liquor stores are allowed to be open this has been explicitly stated.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.isba.org/ibj/2016/09/lawpulse/arrestbutnoprosecutioninfourthofjul

gently caress the flag. they're either gonna shoot your for it or arrest you and you'll never be prosecuted because it's blatantly unconstitutional. So you know. Be careful but burn the flag if you're feeling it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

Madigan has to go. He’s not liked in most of the state, and Republicans are going to tie any Democrat they can to him.

He's not going until he has a stroke or gets tired of wielding power, which will be never.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Going to restaurants, where there's less risk than at home.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Either a billion dollars for the buy out clause or the end of capitalism

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I like how Gardiner has all the feel of a shady old school alderman but none of the competence or allegiances that would actually let him get away with this poo poo.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/hea...ticle2-readmore

quote:

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker blames skimpy supplies for the slow pace of COVID-19 vaccinations in Illinois.

So far, Illinois has received 737,125 doses of vaccine, which is coming in at a rate of about 175,000 per week. At that pace, it would take about two years to vaccinate the 10 million residents needed to achieve herd immunity and neutralize a virus that has killed 17,000 and sickened 1 million in Illinois.

"We're waiting for more vaccine to arrive," Pritzker said during a Jan. 6 briefing. "That's really the biggest holdup to getting through the entire thing."

But getting vaccines is only a start. To confer immunity, they have to be injected into people's arms. That's up to the states under the federal government's immunization program. According to the Centers for Disease Control, Illinois has administered only 213,045 shots, or 29 percent of the vaccines it has received. Nationally, about 27 percent of the 21 million doses distributed have been administered.

"Everyone hoped for a faster distribution," says Katherine Baicker, dean of the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy. "What remains to be seen is whether it's just a slow first couple weeks but we're on an accelerating trajectory and soon we'll be up and running, or whether this is the steady pace and then we're in real trouble."

To come anywhere near meeting the widespread expectation that most people would be vaccinated by midyear, Illinois needs to get a lot more vaccines and administer them a lot faster. For example, Illinois would need to give nearly 800,000 shots per week starting now to achieve herd immunity by June 30.

Pritzker said Jan. 6 that the state is getting about 120,000 doses per week. On Jan. 5, Chicago Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady said the current weekly total received by the city was about 32,000 first doses and 23,400 second doses. Those figures add up to a statewide weekly pace of roughly 175,000 doses received.

Supply is expected to increase substantially under the Biden administration, which has pledged to invoke the Defense Production Act to boost manufacturing. The number of available doses will further increase as additional vaccines get federal authorization.

Meanwhile, Pritzker recently called on the federal government to immediately distribute vaccines that he and seven other governors say are being erroneously reserved.

"We'd like to see half a million per week, and we're hopeful we can get to that point," Pritzker said. "It's hard for me to predict exactly when we would get there, or exactly how many will be delivered, but my expectation is it will be a lot more delivered to the state of Illinois once the Defense Production Act is invoked."

To make sure the state is ready when the time comes, Pritzker said the Illinois National Guard will open mass vaccination sites using arenas and other large locations. He also expanded the next phase of Illinois' vaccine rollout to include people age 65 and older, down from seniors 75 and older.

Like much of the U.S. pandemic response, the federal government has left immunization efforts to the states, which have relied heavily on public health departments and private hospitals to push out vaccines.

"Too much reliance was placed on the capacity of local health care providers and local governments to manage an incredibly complex distribution chain, and that's why we're seeing such patchwork success," Baicker says. "We're asking more of (hospitals) than they have the resources to accomplish."

With 73 percent of the 21 million total vaccines distributed nationwide yet to be administered, there's a concern that some doses could expire before long. Thawed Moderna vaccines may be stored in a refrigerator for up to 30 days, and Pfizer vaccines can last for up to six months in an ultracold freezer, stored for 30 days in the shipping container if dry ice is routinely replaced, or five days in a refrigerator.

Advocate Aurora Health recently had to discard roughly 570 vaccines in Wisconsin after a pharmacy employee allegedly intentionally left the doses unrefrigerated. In Ohio, Walgreens had about 35 doses expire when a long-term care facility ordered too many vaccines. Walgreens is among retail pharmacies administering shots in long-term care facilities under the federal government's pharmacy program.

And while adverse reactions to the shots are uncommon, facilities are hesitant to inoculate too many workers at once as a precaution.

"Up until now, the vaccine has only been offered to specific locations in staggered proportions because hospitals and nursing homes have been concerned about too many of their staff receiving the vaccine on any given shift," Pritzker said, noting that only about one-third of health care workers outside Chicago have received the vaccine.

More than 43,000 doses had been administered to Chicago residents as of Jan. 6, but that doesn't include shots given to Chicago health care workers that reside in other areas. Arwady recently said 42 percent of doses distributed to Chicago institutions are going to people who don't live in the city.

Illinois and local health departments are working to enlist more providers to administer the shots, including federally funded clinics and retail pharmacies, to improve capacity and ensure an equitable distribution.

The Cook County Department of Public Health is partnering with Jewel-Osco to inoculate health care workers in suburban Cook County. That partnership and others, including a new deal with Sam's Club and Walmart, will expand in coming weeks.

Hospitals are also working to expand their capacity.

NorthShore University HealthSystem has inoculated more than 10,000 health care workers, including its staff and other local providers. With vaccination clinics at two of its hospitals, Evanston and Glenbrook, the health system can give about 1,500 shots a day, which is on par with the number of vaccines it gets from the state, says Jeff Thiel, assistant vice president of pharmacy services at the six-hospital chain.

"We're actively having conversations now internally about, how do we continue to grow and support the broader community and different phases," Thiel says.

For example, hospital-operated drive-thru testing sites could become vaccination drive-thrus. That's something Thiel says NorthShore is considering.

A lack of funding has presented another roadblock for states, but a new pot of $3 billion in federal funds, announced by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services on Jan. 6, should help. Illinois is getting $90 million, and the city of Chicago, which is responsible for its own rollout, is getting $24 million.

Pritzker said it will be several weeks before Illinois moves into the next phase of the rollout, which includes essential workers like first responders and teachers, as well as individuals 65 and older.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
See?! Look what happened to you!!!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
the naming rights thing I don't mind because trading vanity for public works is about as time honored a way to get nice things as you want, but also gently caress him and I hope that he has to trudge through feces in the next miami flood

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
he's banking on his voting base not knowing or caring about the opinions of any jewish people but still funny as poo poo.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Uh excuse me couple corrections there

1) we didn't just open the canal we dynamited the last barriers a month before the court ruling would have been issued

2) water testing show that the Mississippi above St Louis was already as polluted as what was coming from Chicago (the firm doing the testing was from Chicago but still)

3) St Louis never sought permission from any downstream city before they started dumping their sewage in. Hypocrites!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FreeLarryLigas/status/1598323890417274881?s=20&t=sfzXQnObDvMZn1KP5XoU3g

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

Lol I thought this tweet was in support of Bernie at first, but it's actually just a bootlicker and we're supposed to think Bernie is bad for protesting segregation

oh my god that's amazing he's tripling down in the replies

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean jesus all he had to do was stay neutral like Pritzker did even with Vallas ragging on him and he could've escaped with a fig leaf but he just had to open his mouth.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Clouseau posted:

The Trib has some pretty good reporters and they do some really great and comprehensive food writing as well. Their editorial page is just loving garbage, and its a tradition they've upheld ever since they were founded by a reactionary shithead whose descendants carried that proud tradition on

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
About the migrants? Yeah poo poo sucks the city is trying and failing to find places to put them.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

Lightfoot's awful, but it's probably required to open up more spaces to house the refugees and apply for state and federal funding.

it's this.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/0...national-guard/

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

they didn't read the loving police contract before they okayed it?

The neutral arbitor okayed it and it goes to both parties to accept or reject

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

The X-man cometh posted:

The Johnson administration is following the plot of Animal Farm.

Wait who's Trotsky

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Good, now that we've weighed in, surely things will change.

pffft, just a buncha politicians catering to the large palestinian voting contingent backed by a large base of supporters. I can't believe that politicians would use symbolic gestures to shore up power bases and attempt to influence larger organizations!

like dude. There are a bunch of people living in the city whose family members are getting killed right now and it sure seemed like they supported this.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BougieBitch posted:

I think the point is more that the city of Chicago has no levers to pull here - that isn't to say that a symbolic gesture is always useless, but polling and such has already been accumulating and it doesn't seem sufficient to cause a real course correction so far.

I mean no poo poo, neither does the international criminal court or the UN security council for pretty much the same reasons.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

rachel ray romano posted:

We live in the reality where you voted for the guy who sucks at being mayor and Chuy only hypothetically would have sucked at being mayor. Get wrecked.

Id love to live in a hypothetical scenario where the guy who sucked rear end at running to be mayor sucked less at being mayor but here we are! Maybe if chuy had I dunno, actually declared early and acted like he wanted the job at any point he could have won like everyone who watched the mayor's race has consistently said. Oh well, I guess we're stuck in this universe where he ran a lovely campaign and failed to get any big backers on board early leaving them to declare for a rival out of frustration at the delays.

Like seriously that race was his to lose and everyone pretty much said so. He lost it because he hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
here's the thing, based on everything you've said and done I don't like you as a person because you've been charging in to every discussion talking about how BOY HOWDY BET YOU JOHNSON SUPPORTERS FEEL BAD NOW GUESS YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED CHUY to which everyone responds Yes, johnson sucks, no one is defending him, also Chuy ran a lovely campaign and that's why he didn't win. but you also seem like a human being, so I'm not going to say that you're in favor of kids getting measles.