Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't like Peoria because I was robbed at gunpoint there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

There's nothing really wrong with Peoria. The description I've always heard is it can feel like a big city minus the culture. The demographics skew older but if you're married, it's probably not a big deal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Jesus, Rauner really knows how to make lovely ads. Just saw one with a bunch of Republican governors from neighboring states all smugly talking about how many jobs they’re. poaching from Illinois because of Madigan. Not like that can backfire against Rauner at all.

Eh I thought it was kind of creative compared to the other stuff he's put out.

Willa Rogers posted:

Who are you all supporting in the primary? I'm still leaning toward The Traitor Biss (especially with Pawar out), even though he prolly doesn't have a chance, but I don't trust JB and there's no way I'm voting for Kennedy.

I liked Kennedy when he spoke out about the property tax scam but that's about all he's said that's impressed me. Biss is remarkable stupid on economic stuff which isn't appealing with the state in financial peril. I'm leaning toward JB right now as he's said everything I want to hear and I think he'd crush Rauner in a general. You mentioned you don't trust him, why is that? I tried to look through his history to find times when he's hosed a bunch of people over and I can't come up with it. I'm guessing he's embellished his record a bit but he seems like a decent guy from what I can see (although I'm open to being proven wrong).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

All Madigan or Pritzker have to say is "Madigan was here when we weren't losing jobs, too" and run it 100 times a day.

He supported and/or was behind every major piece of legislation that torpedoed the state.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

The state wasn't torpedoed in 1987, or '94, or even 2001.

Yes it was. Madigan supported the permanent 3% compounded pension increases, the Edgar Ramp, and letting workers retire early. Those three things destroyed the state's finances. The people in office right now are just trying to put a band-aid on the colossal gently caress-ups made by the people in charge in the late 80's on through the early 2000's.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So guess who's funding pedophile Roy Moore's SuperPAC.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roy-moore-super-pac-financier-finally-revealed

quote:

Illinois businessman Richard Uihlein provided $100,000 to the group, Proven Conservatives PAC, since September, according to a new filing with the Federal Election Commission, making him by far the group’s top donor.

Uihlein is one of the main funders of the Illinois Policy Institute.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've never been much a fan of Gutierrez. The poo poo he pulled after Harold Washington died hurt the city a lot and we're still feeling the affects. When I lived in his district, he didn't seem too concerned about what was happening in it. Whenever I'd contact them about a real issue I'd just receive a canned response and then put on a mailing list telling me all the great things Gutierrez said on Meet the Press or whatever that had nothing to do with the district.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

California, New York and Illinois are reliably blue when electing a President and Florida is purple for the most part. Texas is the nut to crack for Dems and it's getting a lot closer to turning purple that it used to be. A Dem Latino candidate could push to to the brink.

He wouldn't stand a chance in the rust belt. I think he'd be fine doing the activist stuff nationally. Would be a great voice in parts of the country you talk about that are purple and have large Hispanic populations.

The other problem with Gutierrez is he's really embedded in Chicago machine politics. He's made money off a bunch off scummy real estate deals and that stuff will definitely come out if he seeks higher office. Not to mention his standing in the black community won't be helped by the poo poo he pulled after Harold Washington died.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Oracle posted:

Can you elaborate? I could google but 'scummy Chicago politics' gives you a bazillion hits so, you know.

He joined on the bandwagon of people who called Eugene Sawyer an Uncle Tom (in fact the name they used was Uncle Tom Sawyer) and a race traitor. Believe he was even one of the people who trashed Sawyer at the Harold Washington memorial service. Mind you that Sawyer risked his life as a security guard for MLK back in Alabama as a young man.

Then with the black community divided, he backed Daley (who was woefully unqualified for the position) in the Mayoral election because Daley promised to back him when he ran for Congress.

I know most people can't stand Kass but he wrote a story about it on the anniversary of Washington's death. Doesn't mention Gutierrez but he was one of the guys who helped perpetuate that divide and then ran off to support Daley. Story is more about how the events after Washington's death is why we likely haven't elected a black Mayor since.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-met-harold-washington-30-years-john-kass-20171117-story.html

Gutierrez is a scummy politician who just knew how to play the PR game well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

Rush was great in the past, but now he's just a senile old man who does what he's told.

I think it's his family that get paid a lot to "consult" or work for him that push him to run these days. He's been their piggybank for awhile.

Seems like after his wife passed and the health issues he's had, he'd just want to retire and let someone who is able to show up to vote take his place.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So what's the deal with the Tribune? I know they were more to the right but they seem to have swung real hard to the right lately. They wrote a bunch of editorials on how this tax plan is good despite it completely loving over people in this state. They even wrote an anti-NN piece. The Sun-Times took them to task.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/editorial-sorry-tribune-tax-reform-awful-for-chicago/

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I guess it was a sign when they endorsed Gary Johnson last election.

Still :lol: at a digital media company calling for the end of net neutrality. Way to know your business.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nope. It's the biggest scam going. We wouldn't have to ram through dumb soda taxes if we actually taxed commercial and industrial buildings properly. County misses out on billions.

My favorite is how Trump's building had it's commercial part reduced from $11 million to $3 million despite property values soaring in the area.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

i guess it does follow that we would then be able to have a total property tax increase without loving over the little guys any more than we already have.

This. The free pass on the bigger properties forces the one's that are assessed fairly (people who can't afford connected attorneys) to shoulder the burden.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah was he up to shady poo poo or just got caught on a tap with Blago and going for the guilt by association thing? I don't remember that time real well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I haven't really decided who I'm voting for yet outside of whoever has the best shot to unseat Berrios.

With Governor, I'm leaning toward Pritzker despite hating voting for a billionaire. I like his policies and he looks like a lock to beat Rauner. Kennedy is too sketchy from what I've seen. And while Biss has his heart in the right place, he's remarkably stupid on economic stuff which is pretty important for this state.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Who is the most likely to unseat Berrios? If he makes it to the general, I’m probably voting for the republican. I can’t stand Berrios.

This is the only person I see that looks competitive.

http://fritzforassessor.com/

I asked about Raila running but someone mentioned she's just there to split the opposition vote up. She was my attorney and never won me poo poo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Most of the bad decisions that led to this state being a joke were made 20-30 years ago. Outside of Madigan and a couple other people, the current politicians have had little to do with the problem outside of not fixing it for the future.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Stupid how? I don't know enough about home to have a firm opinion.

He pushed for that LaSalle Street Tax which showed how little he knew about economics.

Also wasn't a fan of bringing on Ramirez-Rosa as a running mate. Rosa doesn't understand how to run his ward let alone a state.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

curious to hear more about both of these.

everything I read about the traders threatening to move sounds like whiny BS to me, and high frequency trading is a problem in general. what other methods would be better to increase taxation progressively? (I have a few in mind)

First, it violates current state law and some have said wouldn't pass a federal constitutional challenge. So you've got those to contend with right out of the gate.

Next is that it really wouldn't generate that much revenue. The numbers that were floated were comical.

And finally, it does cause traders to move. Everything is done online. You don't need a big city to send a trade. Just move your trading desk over the state line or use a foreign broker service. If you want an example of it, look up what happened to Sweden. They implemented one in the 80's and everyone stopped trading in that country. Like they lost 98% of the trades that were being made in the country.

It would have to be done on a national level for it to maybe work. It'd have to be small enough so that people wouldn't just use a foreign trade service instead. I still think you're better off focusing on a progressive income tax and making property taxes fair than some gimmick that would likely backfire. Also tweaking the pension system going forward.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

and what's so bad about Rosa? it's nice to have one less rubber stamp and he sure as hell beats Colon.

Try calling the office and asking for something like parking passes. They'll blow you off and tell you they can't do it because they're in a battle with the Mayor (if they even bother answering the phone). Colon was crap but he also at least handled the basic stuff that people in the ward would want. You could complain about excessive rats and you'd get a response to the problem. You could buy parking passes from the office.

On top of that, he's just not good at his job. He hates gentrification so much he spent a bunch of taxpayer money on a mural against it but ends up doing things that would actually enable it. He fucks around with zoning so developers have to go directly through him and it's leading to less housing in the district.

My theory is he has a lot of nice progressive thoughts but he has dreams for much higher office. He seems to hate being an Alderman and it's just a temporary position while he builds up name recognition and keeps his friends and family employed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

There are a few different proposals for a financial transaction tax.

The one I like best exempts people who make less than 1000 trades a day, so it helps alleviate the problems of high-frequency trading and won't hurt small investors.

The economic arguments are bs - Tokyo got rid of its tax in an attempt to lure investors back and it didn't work. (I think Hong Kong has a financial transaction tax, too). London's exchange merged with the NYSE and they actually moved people to London, despite their tax.

The Stamp Duty Reserve Tax is nothing at all like the FTT being proposed. It's a tax added to trades of UK companies. It doesn't hurt those in the UK as everyone who wants to trade UK companies must pay the tax whether they are in the UK or in another country. The Japan tax was also nothing at all like what's being proposed.

The law being proposed is just like the one in Sweden in the 80's. The one that saw all their trading disappear to the UK. It's the reason no single country has been dumb enough to implement it since. But a state doing it where it's much easier to move, that's insanity. Not to mention it will barely bring in any money.

Instead of these taxes on transactions maybe it's better to put the effort into a progressive tax rate at the state level. And increasing capital gains on the national level (or at least making them pay for Medicare out of it too). Much simpler solutions to getting wealthy people who trade stocks all day to pay more.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm still curious - what do you think about the arguments at http://lasallestreettax.org/faq talking about the difficulties in moving? I ask because I genuinely don't know much about this stuff, and a lot of the arguments on this (admittedly completely one-sided) site seem well made:

I gotta agree that even if they would threaten to move, there has to be a middle ground for the amount of the tax that could still raise at least a billion or two. which seems worth it to me!

Most trading is done online these days, not on the floor of these exchanges. CME Group closed most of their pits a couple years ago. So for most, it won't matter where they move to (if they haven't already). And most trades aren't being made by Illinois companies anyway.

And if being close really matters, they'll either go to Indiana or just set up an intermediary in Illinois who can handle the actual trade. Intermediaries could not be taxed.

Now lets say that site is correct and it would bring in $10-$12 billion a year (this is absurd by the way). Do you really think companies would just pay $10-$12 billion year after year instead of just moving? Are we to assume these greedy rich people will not care about that kind of money any more? I understand the urge to do it but it's an industry that can work almost anywhere. You're much better off taxing their income (which you'll get much more revenue from) at a higher rate.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

also I guess Taiwan has a similar tax that worked ok?

Taiwan's volume is real low because of it and they actually lowered the FTT rate to spur volume.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Speaking of a progressive income tax. Wouldn't the next few years be the best time to do it? I think there is going to be a massive wave for Democrats across the country and I can't think of a better time to do it. Plus the 2020 election should also be heavily Democrat and Illinois has a reason to get out and vote with a key Senate race (assuming Durbin retires).

I'd love to see some momentum for it happening since it's actually one thing that could help save the state.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rauner was up 65-20 in a poll done a couple weeks ago. I'm sure that gap will shrink a bit as people get to know Ives. But she's really hard to the right and I can't see how she's going to beat an incumbent who still seen favorably in GOP circles.

http://weaskamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Statewide-GOP-Gov-Jan-15.pdf

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The X-man cometh posted:

He's really good. He knows a lot about municipal finance and is running because he cares about the office, not just getting Berrios out.

He's also gaining strength with endorsements, I think Berrios is going to be the sacrificial lamb to make people think real change is happening, like with Anita Alvarez in 2016.

This makes me happy that he's actually a legit candidate. I'll be voting for him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It shouldn't surprise anyone. She had a fundraiser scheduled with a guy who is an openly white supremacist. She cancelled it today because Brady pleaded with her to do so.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ives ran a different ad during the Super Bowl. Also saw a giant Ives sign in someone's lawn on the way home.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think the recordings are that bad. Sounds like the stuff you'd expect to hear when people talk politics. But if there are more tapes and they keep slowly getting released, I think that becomes an issue for him. Then people start asking why he was talking to Blago so much and just how close was he to him.

In other news, Raila might be thrown off the ballot. I read that you need more signatures to run for this post than the Governor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-cook-assessor-ballot-20180205-story.html

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't like the billionaire thing either but the other candidates are bad. Kennedy is against legalization and Biss thinks we're getting $10 billion from a financial transaction tax. Pritzker seems like the safest bet and his policies are in line with what I want.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why Lisa stepped down for AG?

Isn't she the frontrunner for Durbin's seat in 2020? Have to figure the old man will be close to stepping down by then.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone know what the deal is with Dorothy Brown and the federal ruling? Why does she keep fighting it? I mean it doesn't seem like the judge is asking the county to do something much different from what the rest of the country is doing.

I guess I don't understand why she's fighting it. Does the current system give her more power? Or is she just too incompetent to implement a modern system?

I could see some podunk county fighting change but Cook County is a pretty big deal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Berrios is big money for so many politicians in this state that they're going to do anything to make sure he keeps that position.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you think commercials are bad, donate to a candidate one time 10 years ago and you'll never stop getting fundraising calls.

I think I've gotten calls from the Democratic Party in Illinois, the DNC, Democratic Governors organization, Congressional election fund, Senate election fund, and even some PACs. This was all for giving like $50 to Obama's campaign 10 years ago. I get 3-4 calls a day and have a block list on my phone at like 100.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Besides the billionaire thing, is there a reason I shouldn't kind of like Pritzker? His policies seem like stuff I like.

Only issue I've had is his attacks on Kennedy raising tuition aren't fair.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Biss is a hack who voted against half the poo poo he claims he's for now.

I also don't know what his family's business which by all accounts he doesn't have any involvement in running has to do with him. If you want to rake him over the coals, do it over using offshore tax havens and his charity to avoid having to pay income tax.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Biss's explanations of his past stances have been fairly reasonable IMHO, and even without them I think his history still compares favorably with Pritzker/Kennedy too.

Talk is cheap and he's shown that's all he is. You're responsible for the votes you make and bills you support. And his stance when it mattered is clear.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The whole field is good but Fairley is really good.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can you expand on why he is good? I've been planning on voting for Kwame, but I haven't done that much research.

The more I think about this primary, the more I realize how open all of the races are. I don't think I've had to do this much thinking about candidates in a long time.

She's really smart. Princeton engineering degree, Wharton MBA, and got her law degree from University of Chicago.

She was in charge of COPA when they actually started going after the police. She held high positions in the Office of Inspector General. From everything I've read she is independent and aggressive. I think every major paper has endorsed her too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Problem is, that just leads to the only electable guys being independently wealthy businessmen who don't have bad votes to explain.

I'll take my chances on an unknown than someone who I know doesn't support those policies.

I just don't understand the Biss love from progressives. He has literally done the opposite of what he says he's for. He hasn't supported a single-payer system while in office. In fact, he's voted against even having a committee to explore that option.

He pushed an unconstitutional way to gut pensions. He voted to increase funding to charter schools. He voted to allow banks to garnish wages over school loans.

I just don't get it. When did he suddenly become the progressive beacon of hope? He's been a moderate since he took office. Does no one give a poo poo about his actual record?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I just got SMS spammed from JB Pritzker. Not sure if it's automated or just campaign workers sending them out and responding. No idea how they got my number.