Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Forrest on Fire posted:

Crystal Lake is a fun choice if you want a receptive audience, lol

It's mostly demographically in line with the other suburban press-hits he's been doing this past month across the Midwest. Makes sense on a national scale/from 30,000 feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

New for the day:

-Pritzker announced his re-election bid.

- Rodney Davis, US House rep who is about to have his district disappear, immediately went after Pritzker on Twitter. He is going to run against Pritzker as the non-insane R candidate. The only way he would not is if they did not destroy his district.

- R leader in US House announced who is going to be on the committee to investigate the 1/6 insurrection. Rodney Davis was announced as one of the five. (He is one of only two that were announced that actually voted to certify the election).

I am guessing that Davis will be pretty good on the committee, especially if he wants to run for Governor. If he stays to run in whatever becomes of his district, he is going to have to run to the right of whomever primaries him.

JB's old senior advisor announced she's leaving OMB to move back to Davis' district this morning, which'll probably be worth it after the maps are re-cut.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

I hope DeVore sticks around as a completely-powerless perennial candidate for a while. He’s been pretty entertaining.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Everything's still pointing in his direction. It's kinda tough to call a guy a RINO when he's out-raising the rest of the field something like 10:1 (and using that cash to call all of them RINOs).

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Oracle posted:

Illinois Dems have to cut their teeth on poo poo like Challenge Season and learn the ins and outs of how to screw their fellow candidates before they're even allowed on the ballot. Precinct committeepeople have actual power in Illinois and even those races can get cutthroat in Cook County. And if you want to succeed for long you have to learn exactly which lines to cross when and how to toe the letter of the law without getting nailed (though this is finally, mercifully changing). Politics is a contact sport in Illinois and some people get drat good at it, and a lot of those are people whose names you'll never know, because they work behind the scenes and don't get caught.

Granted there's a lot of selfish idiots too, but they tend to weed themselves out eventually.

Not to be that dick, but actually *precinct* committee people are elected in every county outside of Cook, whereas in Cook Burbs they're elected on a Township level and by wards in the city.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This thread needs a name change. It was named when we were pretty sure Pritzker was going to just completely suck, and he has fallen far short of that and has actually been pretty decent.

God, Chris Kennedy would have sucked so bad.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

I saw a Kennedy sign in my block, lol

They have autism awareness stickers on their cars, and I think that's why :(

Look, he was awkward but I don't think he was *that* bad.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
https://twitter.com/realBlagojevich/status/1680634630070829058

Christlike.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Blago was good, actually.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
His dad was an immigrant from Yugoslavia who worked in a steel plant. Basically the entire motive established in Rod's trials revolved around his frustration of having to survive on his salary as governor (~$170k) while all his hangers-on got rich on lobbying work.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

I dunno what's in this guy's heart, but a radio host who just ran for congress in Virginia a few years ago *seems* like a bit of a grifter.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
I, too, am curious why the governor didn't give a giant de-regulatory handout to the industry currently wrapped-up in Mike Madigan's indictment.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Clouseau posted:

Duh, council wars.

Remembering now that a couple pundits tried to start saying Council Wars 2 because Lightfoot narrowly won a few votes.

For the way the council is structured/operates, it's laughable how many votes she lost. A war would've required Lori to have had a cohesive base of political support, though.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
I see Brandon cut $150m from the new-welcome budget line for 2024 and had to walk back a trip to the border. Maybe we'll get a real progressive next time.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

Did he say that or did he say like, “it’s a problem we have all these people coming here and no way to effectively deal with that”

He just cut half the money for their food and shelter. He can say whatever, but his actions show a lot of hate in his heart.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Dexo posted:

On a macro economics scale the budget means jack poo poo other than like quite literally a virtue signal.

drat, Brandon must have poo poo virtues. I'm starting to think the guy who's only been held in comparison to Lori Lightfoot and Paul Vallas isn't really that progressive.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
I would like to see something substantial that Brandon has done that would make him to the left of JB. This take seems to be purely aesthetic.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Bird in a Blender posted:

This budget process is probably his first time to try to do that, so we'll see what happens once the council actually goes to vote on the new budget.

So your example of Brandon actually governing to the left of JB is the budget that cuts funding for refugees in half? I don't think you can even make the argument that he's governed left of Lori, considering his only substantial reversal from her administration was firing the head of the health department.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

They found Burke's posts from the I-P conflict thread

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
30% is pretty good for a big city American mayor facing challenges in perception with crime and a huge refugee crisis he’s fumbled. I bet the number will get worse when reporters take the freshman kid-gloves off for year 2 of the admin.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

I’ll try and keep that in mind during the next election when yall decide the next CTU empty suit is Eugene Debs and Chuy Garcia is a white surpremacist

https://twitter.com/RepChuyGarcia/status/1716121737094451524

Chuy's called for a ceasefire and Brandon hasn't lol

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Why's it been so quiet in here this month?

https://abc7chicago.com/jeanette-taylor-brandon-johnson-the-ben-joravsky-show-chicago-city-council/14130257/

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Very funny that the pathway to winning the safest GOP congressional district in the state is to one-up the last guy's temper tantrum while backbenching in Springfield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZmobdeAUVU

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Zarin posted:

I'm so confused . . . I leave for 2 months and suddenly the entire state is Cook County? (Maybe? :confused: )

I haven't found a good breakdown of the new gun law yet, but it sounds like everything I left in storage (downstate) when I moved is suddenly verboten there as well.

If anyone has a good explainer, I'll gladly take it!

Otherwise, seems like I need to figure out how to prioritize 30 hours of travel time :sigh:

You missed the deadline to register any assault weapons (which now has an expanded definition to include almost every semi-automatic weapon), so until you surrender the prized possessions you left 30 hours away you can be brought-up on state gun charges. If you don't enjoy "the entire state turning into Cook County" I suggest avoiding Illinois state prisons.

Some people just aren't responsible firearm owners.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Zarin posted:

lol :allears:

One would think that something like this would have been communicated better beforehand, such that my first hearing about it wouldn't have been a Google News article push on Jan 2.

An interesting way to go about things, to be sure.

If only there was some kind of registry of all the owners of these weapons so that they could be easily notified. What ever happened to personal responsibility, though?

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

I posted about this in the Chicago thread but someone in the mayor’s office named Jason Lee went off on some comes people and got them fired and posted an embarrassing, super long Twitter post about how he left Harvard to serve the people of Chicago blah blah blah

And now this:
https://twitter.com/LeighGiangreco/status/1744833121969672523

This isn’t like, important, but it’s so loving weird! Why do this, first of all, but then why tell such a transparent lie about it

Yeah, Jason probably takes after his mom, Shelia Jackson Lee:

""Houston Press - Flying Miss Shelia" posted:

In early March, Burruss got a phone call from Rebecca Cox, a Continental Airlines governmental affairs vice president at the airline's Washington office. According to Burruss, Cox bluntly declared, "We have been dealing with the congresswoman for three years now, and we are tired of her bad behavior. Something has got to happen."

As an airline Gold Card carrier with plenty of frequent-flier miles, Lee routinely upgrades her airline seats to first class, not an unusual arrangement. But Lee had come to expect other deluxe perks not always available in Continental's non-hub cities, Cox explained.

She then described an incident the previous month when Lee boarded a flight at National, and found the menu did not include a seafood special she had wanted.

"She screamed at the top of her lungs at least a minute," Burruss quotes Cox as telling her. "She embarrassed the flight attendants and the passengers in first class. And she embarrassed herself."

According to Burruss, Cox claimed Lee declared, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Where is my seafood meal? I know it was ordered!"

When Burruss asked Cox what could be done, Cox asked that her message be relayed directly to Lee, and then joked, "We have already given her the Delta Airlines schedule."

So now we have the President of the CTU, who sends her kid to private school, defending a senior aide to the mayor for verbally berating public employees. Brandon: the calls are coming from inside the house.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
At least he didn't quote As Good as It Gets.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Oracle posted:

Good. Now disbar the fucker.

Rich at CapFax has an even more brutal idea:
https://capitolfax.com/2024/02/26/should-ag-raoul-try-to-yank-this-guys-pension/

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Sarcastro posted:

I like that looking at the comments you can note to the minute when the chuds found it.

capfax comments are fun because it's 60% anonymized statehouse lobbyists/electeds/staffers using their own holdover web1.0 discussion platform and 40% traffic from folks following a specific story/issue that were re-routed to the site.

Oracle posted:

Yeah that’d do it. Probably save the state 100 thou + a year too.

He made over 200k last year, so that's a very safe bet.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

brugroffil posted:

Any guides for the will county judges?

I don't think there's really much of a progressive legal organization in the state outside of Cook to grade judicial candidates. The state's attorney there was one of the more vocal opponents of the SAFE-T act, so maybe just find out who he endorsed and vote against them.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
They should spoil your ballot if you skip a race to encourage more joke write-in candidacies.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

You can just not vote

Confirmed Chuy supporter

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Badger of Basra posted:

I actually did vote for Chuy in the first round

Only three more years of constantly reminding Johnson supporters how badly they hosed up.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Bird in a Blender posted:

Why does anyone think he was going to try that hard at being mayor?

We live in the reality where you voted for the guy who sucks at being mayor and Chuy only hypothetically would have sucked at being mayor. Get wrecked.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
I don't think Chuy would have pissed JB off so much that he'd unilaterally yank $80 million in annual revenue from the city.

Mayor Johnson backs out of commitment to $250M joint city, county, state migrant care package

abc7 posted:

The warmer temperatures and sunny skies have been providing a welcome respite for migrants hanging out outside a shelter in Pilsen. But the future may not look so sunny after Johnson backed out of a commitment with the county and state for the city to contribute $71 million to care for migrants through the end of the year.

Cut to:

Gov. Pritzker Seeking to Eliminate State Grocery Tax, But Some Municipalities Could Push Back

WTTW posted:

Illinois shoppers would save a dollar when they buy $100 worth of groceries under Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s proposal to eliminate a state sales tax on groceries.

Chicago stands to lose considerably more — as much as $80 million per year — according to the Illinois Municipal League.

Although the grocery sales tax is a creature of state law, the money collected from grocery receipts within a jurisdiction is transferred to local governments.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Benagain posted:

Id love to live in a hypothetical scenario where the guy who sucked rear end at running to be mayor sucked less at being mayor but here we are! Maybe if chuy had I dunno, actually declared early and acted like he wanted the job at any point he could have won like everyone who watched the mayor's race has consistently said. Oh well, I guess we're stuck in this universe where he ran a lovely campaign and failed to get any big backers on board early leaving them to declare for a rival out of frustration at the delays.

Like seriously that race was his to lose and everyone pretty much said so. He lost it because he hosed up.

Look, some people take a little too long to announce their candidacy. Other people take a little too long to respond to measles outbreaks at migrant shelters. I think one is worse than the other, but keep doing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Benagain posted:

here's the thing, based on everything you've said and done I don't like you as a person because you've been charging in to every discussion talking about how BOY HOWDY BET YOU JOHNSON SUPPORTERS FEEL BAD NOW GUESS YOU SHOULD HAVE VOTED CHUY to which everyone responds Yes, johnson sucks, no one is defending him, also Chuy ran a lovely campaign and that's why he didn't win. but you also seem like a human being, so I'm not going to say that you're in favor of kids getting measles.

You are quite literally defending him