Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm still laughing over the guy that wants to split Illinois into three states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Big Black Dick posted:

And my inherent distrust of the ultra-rich comes through in spades again! If only votes mattered more than campaign contributions we could do something about it. Isn't democracy wonderful?

Billionaires are no longer human and should be treated as such.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Was home from voting by 9am so now I can day drink. Fingers crossed for Biss, Newman, and Fairly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
gross, billionaire battle for the general, I guess

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does any one have a link to stories about dirty tricks Chicago politicians have used to disqualify opponents from running?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Willa Rogers posted:

I don't know if it would qualify as "dirty tricks" but Obama used some pretty specious petition challenges in his first IL senate race:

Like the story said, it was all *legal* but it was also kinda shady.

Stuff like this is perfect, and I think I remember it being shared here before. Basically, I'm running a game for some friends and one of them is going to try and run for city council. I want some challenges that are divorced from any sort of supernatural craziness.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mining the background is something I'm already up on. Plus, they're a werewolf, so it's going to be tough keeping that under wraps!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I see a lot people posturing like they wouldn't vote for the candidate that turned into a 500 pound murder furry and ate the republican...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

This is a good point. Is it a white werewolf we're talking about here?

White but non-binary, which is going to come up in the debates.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I voted for the evil billionaire

fake edit: forgot to clarify, it was JB

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Did van dyke have the option for a judge instead of jury? Judges always acquit cops and it makes me nuts. Wish we could make all cops have to get a jury, but I don’t think that’s constitutional.

There’s a slot place in Oakbrook on 22nd. There’s like 4 machines at the gas station a block from my house and there are always people there. The Lucky Dog fast food place also has machines and it always depresses me.

That'a what those Stella's places are, right? I have idea what those places do, except have someone outside smoking 24/7, has to be a money laundering operation.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
An ad popped up in my facebook feed today crying about rent control being unfair and bad. This is the first I'm hearing about rent control, is this something Chicago is doing?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Saw some talk in USPOL but couldn't find the origin. Did Lipinski come out in support of these terrible abortion bills? I know he's an anti-choice piece of poo poo, but I'm hoping to get something to stop my dad from voting for him in the primary.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I thought we couldn't institute a progressive tax without a constitutional amendment?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Do retail next. I already went two months without a paycheck thanks to surgery, what's another month :(

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just found out that my store is going to only be open 10-6, but they're not cutting anyone's hours, so that's not bad. Means I won't be doing any dog training for a hot minute though

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My suburb had four volunteers and only one precinct station set up, thankfully it was mine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If I didn't another reason to vote for Newman. The guy in the kilt outside the polling station saying if you're not voting Republican, vote lipinski would have done it

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
at least something good happened today

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Crossposted from the Chicago thread:

Unemployment question: Apparently a couple people with Southwest have been having this happen, but my mom's a flight attendant and when she filed, there was no place for her to put in her income, her assessment letter says she gets 0 bucks because she makes no money. Anyone experience something similar and know a fix? Calling up is apparently impossible because of how bananas everything is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

So Phase 3 is just, what, 10 days away?

Is anybody planning to do anything different once Phase 3 starts?

as long as work doesn't call me back in, gently caress no.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Done. That's cool, I should pay more attention to ILGA.

same

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I ran some errands for the first time in about a month in the south burbs today and it sure seems like traffic is back to normal. Especially that guy who was behind me while I was doing +10 in the right lane and merged left before speeding up to cut me off in order to get to the stop light first.

Also: meat prices are getting closer to normal two, 3 pound roasts (pork and beef) and a dozen porter burgers from the butcher only ran me 50 bucks. Still higher than in April, but not as bananas as May was.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Did someone say that we're automatically enrolled in vote by mail for November, or did I imagine that?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

This Portland poo poo has me all hosed up thinking about any feds in the city tbh

Yeah word is, Portland is a trial balloon before it expands to bigger cities. Stay safe.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

91 divoc not only does county level but also region. I don't think it's updated to the new regions yet but does northeast, Chicago, etc which is still really useful

holy poo poo, florida goes off the chart at one point. Why is California so high?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Vote by mail loving sucks because it triggers my homework avoidance behavior. I've had this ballot sitting on my desk for like two weeks and still haven't opened it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

I know tons of working people who own cabins in Wisconsin or Michigan. They’re union construction workers who get paid well though like $100k a year if they stay employed all year.

It doesn’t take that much to buy a second home, especially if your first house is also cheap, and you’ve been working since you’re 18.

Yeah, when I tried the family trade working on the presses, the top guys on a press could bring home 6 figures, but that was with 7 12 hour shifts a week for months on end. I heard the guys talking about their cabins and their boats, but then also about how they're getting their third divorce and they never see their kids.

The money is there, but you can't actually have a life to enjoy it. Fascinating job though, if it weren't the need to work all that OT to move up, I'd probably still be there.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know when the state sends out the tax forms for unemployment recipients?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WescottF1 posted:

My wife's was available online last night. Didn't get the notification email until about an hour ago, though.

EDIT: NM just had to go to the REQUEST 1099 section

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 30, 2021

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If anyone had unemployment and filed before they announced the UI rebate, I got my check from the state today.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Djarum posted:

I know if I could I would have a small place in the woods preferably by a little lake without another person for acres. But the issues of employment and internet always crop up there.

loving same. I need my internet and a reliable delivery service.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Willa Rogers posted:

Chicago city council passed a 20 percent raise for its fine police officers, effective retroactively to 2017. :patriot:

WHAT THE gently caress

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
what ever happened to illinois ditching daylight savings?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shere posted:

If it's worth anything, the country tried doing permanent-DST in 1974 and it was initially very popular (more daylight in the evening sounds reasonable at first blush) but within one year it became incredibly unpopular and was reverted shortly after.

Waking up when it's still dark out also has a number of health impacts that look Not Good in general.

I worked night shift for over a decade, loving deal with it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I personally like watching the sun come up. Especially on my days off when I'm already out in the garage with the dogs. You get that last hour of darkness and silence before the sounds of the day start up.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

It certainly seems like the end of the delta wave has just….not ended despite cresting and coming down.

I believe that nationally, we're at the same number of deaths per day as we were last year at this time so lol

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Probably, which is good, because Bailey is bugshit insane and will absolutely turn off those purple 'burbs.

I already see a handful of Bailey signs in the burbs. Now, one of those houses is fully decked out in the most stereotypical rightwing chud paraphernalia, but still.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

not a huge standardized testing fan but even less of an "essays and extracurriculars" fan

yeah gently caress extracurricular activites, let kids just exist, they'll have to sacrifice their free time on the altar of capitalism soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

probably shouldn't get too pissed, she's by some margin the furthest left person in the delegation with good policy positions on pretty much everything, even I/P. though she's in some hot water for... well,

Yes, you don't have to deal with Lipinski, a nepotism baby who's anti-choice. Even with this dumb corruption, she's still better