Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Introduction:
This is my fourth mega-campaign (the third: an ongoing multiplayer one approaching Victoria 2) but the first I've attempted to record and indeed my first attempt at a Let's Play proper.

The idea for this campaign was initially born from the idea of the feasibility of attempting an "OPM mega campaign" as I much prefer playing "tall" rather than "wide" and that seemed like the absolute end-state of that play-style. But weeks of testing and planning with various mods and start-dates only led to frustration and instead trying to find a normal-ish location to start things off. While I wanted to avoid a traditional Christian kingdom as they seem very played-out I considered tribal Poland but knew that would almost certainly become another normal kingdom. Unfortunately no other part of the map interests me quite as much as Western Europe and especially Italy so I figured if I had to go Catholic - I might as well go the most Catholic I possibly could. The Pope.

The Papal States is one of my favourite nations to play in EUIV and being able to set up a completely unique start in 1444 due to playing them through CK2 thanks to a certain mod seemed cool, and taking the Pope all the way through Vic2 into the world wars (hopefully intact) seems a very exciting prospect. I know next to nothing about the actual Papal States or Holy See beyond surface-level Wikipedia'ing but I always enjoy researching the places I play so this should hopefully prove somewhat educational at least.

I'll be starting in 1066 to get straight into the height of the middle ages and to when we can do the most as the Pope. While I enjoy starting in the earlier start-dates due to the dramatically different ways history unfolds adding an extra two or three hundred years on to the game can really make things drag - and the game slow considerably from having to account for so many characters living and dead. Apart from the previously mentioned Playable Pope mod the other ones I'll be using are mostly for graphics and flavour along with Advanced Trade System. Mods for EUIV and beyond are still something to consider.

Pros & Cons of being the Pope.
Pros:
.It is literally impossible to game over. We could lose all our land, Christianity could be extinguished, but we would still exist and be playable (of course in such a dire circumstance certain changes would have to take place)
.We make mad bank as every true and pious Catholic gives us a percentage of their hard earned gold as well as receiving extra gold from indulgences and general gifts. Of course this is all dependent on Catholicism being strong and stable.
.We can choose our heir. In a manner of speaking - or rather we can decide which of a number of possible heirs we may be through the college of cardinals.
.We get to decide where and when the crusades happen.
.We can excommunicate whoever we want whenever we want (of course this is game-breakingly overpowered and shan't be used without justification.)

Cons:
.No dynastic shenanigans. 9 times out of 10 we will be playing a former bishop who was randomly generated, with no ties to existing dynasties on the map, which means no families or claims (beyond one for the bishopric we formerly held before taking office), but hopefully that 1 out of 10 will land us in some Borgia-esque antics.
.We cannot marry, which will make alliances very hard to achieve, which will make the defence of our lands extra hard. (We can still have children through more scrupulous means but of course unless we somehow have two Popes of the same dynasty then raising and nurturing them will be ultimately pointless beyond adding new well-educated courtiers - which are always a button click away anyway.)
.Probably more I'm not even aware of until this is all underway.

Papal Rules
.The Pope cannot declare war on good and pious Catholics. Against infidels, heretics and excommunicated rulers is fair game.
.The Pope must make a conceited effort to help his fellow Catholics when available either through monetary aid or assisting in conflict against one of the previously mentioned outliers.
.Play to our traits. Self-explanatory.
.No blobbing.
(All rules can be amended, removed or new ones added by future Papal Bulls as decreed by readers depending on how world events unfold)

Chapters

Crusader Kings 2
Pope Alexander II
1 - 1066 - 1071 The Sicilian Campaign
2 - 1071 - 1078 The Berber Counteroffensive
3 - 1078 - 1088 The Mad Pope

Pope Benedictus X
4 - 1088 - 1092 The Coming Storm
5 - 1092 - 1093 The First Crusade
6 - 1093 - 1100 Cordoba

Pope Leo X
7 - 1100 - 1106 Reconquista
8 - 1106 - 1116 The Pale Horse Rides

Pope Gregorius VII
9 - 1116 - 1126 The Second Crusade
10 - 1126 - 1133 Jihad
11 - 1133 - 1145 Decline of Islam

Pope Silvester IV
12 - 1145 - 1146 The Fall of Mecca

Pope Alexander III
13 - 1146 - 1152 The Boy Pope
14 - 1152 - 1155 War for Europe
15 - 1155 - 1158 Interwar
16 - 1158 - 1169 The Third Crusade
17 - 1169 - 1175 The Rise of the Angels

Interlude - History of Piast Byzantium

Pope Silvester V
18 - 1175 - 1199 The Cypriot Papacy

Pope Gregorius VIII
19 - 1199 - 1199 Steadybreath

Pope Eugenius III
20 - 1200 - 1204 The Fourth Crusade - Results of Papal Bull of 1204
21 - 1204 - 1214 For Whom The Bell Tolls

Pope Martinus II
22 - 1214 - 1217 Bandits

Pope Benedictus XI
23 - 1217 - 1236 Black Death, White Rider. Fifth Crusade.
24 - 1236 - 1237 Carthage

Pope Benedictus XII
25 - 1237 - 1246 War of the Northern Kingdoms

Pope Innocentius II
26 - 1246 -1258 World on Fire

Pope Urbanus II
27 - 1258 - 1264 Kingdoms of Ash

Pope Urbanus III
28 - 1264 - 1314 The Sixth Crusade

Pope Nicolaus III
29 - 1314 - 1322 For Science!
30 - 1322 - 1335 The Priest and The Doctor
31 - 1335 - 1348 The Seventh Crusade
32 - 1348 - 1351 The Golden Age of Christianity

Pope Anastasius IV
33 - 1351 - 1351 Fastest Pope in the West

Pope Silvester VI
34 - 1351 - 1366 Science and Faith

Pope Martinus III
35 - 1366 - 1377 The Eighth Crusade
37 - 1377 - 1381 Timurid Invasion of Egypt (part 1)
37 - 1377 - 1381 Timurid Invasion of Egypt (part 2)
38 - 1377 - 1381 Timurid Invasion of Egypt (part 3)
The Cairo Conference Fate of Jerusalem
39 - 1381 - 1391 The Rising East

Pope Sergius V
40 - 1391 - 1391 Sergius V has come too
41 - 1391 - 1396 Suomi, Crimea, Perm, Rus
42 - 1396 - 1402 The Warrior of Myth and Legends
43 - 1402 - 1417 The Ninth Crusade
44 - 1417 - 1444 Semper Pontiff

1444 - State of the world and a brief history of the middle ages

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Europa Universalis IV

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EUIV Setup
China / Sverre's expedition - The outcome South East Asia

The Sergean Era

1 - 1444 - The Return of the Pope
2 - 1444 - 1454 -The Centenary Pope
3 - 1454 - 1465 - The Rise and Fall of Austria-Hungary
4 - 1465 - 1480 - The Scramble for Italy
5 - 1480 - 1489 - The New World
6 - 1489 - 1496 - War of the Coalition
7 - 1496 - 1500 - The Brief Peace
8 - 1500 - 1506 - New Vatican
9 - 1506 - 1523 - Bloodbath
10 - 1523 - 1527 - No Rome But Rome
11 - 1527 - 1543 - The Last Crusade

The Emergency Papal Summit of 1543 - Result

European wars of religion

Pope Adam I
12 - 1543 - 1551 - Webweaver
13 - 1551 - 1559 - Enduring Piety

Pope Pius II
14 - 1559 - 1562 - War in Ruthenia

Pope Gregory I
15 - 1562 - 1573 - Slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites

Pope Paschalis II
16 - 1573 - 1584 - Turning the Tide
17 - 1584 - 1586 - The Twelve Years' War (Southern Campaign)
18 - 1586 - 1592 - The Twelve Years' War (Eastern Campaign)
19 - 1592 - 1596 - The Twelve Years' War (Northern Campaign)
20 - 1596 - 1600 - Aftermath

Pope Paulus II
1600 - 1624 - Pax Pontifica

Pope Callistus II
1624 - 1633 - Fall of L'empire

Art:

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
1 - 1066 - 1071 The Sicilian Campaign

It is autumn, the year of our lord 1066.

Pope Alexander II assumed the pontificate some five years previously, formerly the bishop of Lucca, born in Milan. He is diligent, charitable, honest, just, kind, humble, zealous, patient and brave. And a mastermind theologian to boot. There is dare I say not a finer man in all the world to be Pope.

We have no succession or gender laws as there can only be a male Pope chosen from one of the nine candidates from the college of cardinals, handpicked by us from the cream of the crop of true Catholic bishops from all across Europe.

Residing in Rome, it is one of the grandest cities in all the known world, though littered with reminders of the city that was once in the time of the Roman Emperors we must surely strive to make this ancient city as great as it once was in centuries gone by.

Given our piety and traits it only seems natural that we try to be as pious as humanly possible, seeking to become a paragon of virtue and seeking to focus on theology to achieve this.

In the north the British Isles are contested by the newly crowned Anglo-Saxon Harold, the bastard Duke of Normandy and the King of Norway.
In the east the Byzantines are beset by invaders from the Seljuks of Persia.

But we have more pressing concerns closer to home. In centuries gone by as the influence of the Eastern Roman Empire waned and their grip on the southern half of the Italian peninsular faded a power vacuum was left that the Berbers of north Africa sought to exploit. For too long we have allowed these heathens to live on our shores, the time to expel them and install virtuous Catholics is at hand. The Duke of Apulia, Robert de Hautville, descent of Norman adventurers who conquered southern Italy just a scarce few decades ago take the initiative and declares his intention to drive the Berbers from the Isle of Sicily. It is only right that we take up arms to march alongside him.

En-route to the southern isle the forces of Ali Nicmavid -having left the safety of Kerkent and sailed across the strait of Messina- ambush us, attacking our rear-guard and threatening to take the remainder of the Papal army by surprise. As word travels down the line the main force turns face to engage the surprise Nicmavid assault.

Overwhelming numbers trump the surprise attack and the Papal army continues it's march to cross the strait and take out Nicmavid allies that seek to cut off supplies reaching the forces of Duke Robert. Easily dispatched we join with our friendly forces and break the siege of Kerkent.

Our first victory against the Sunni scourge and just in time for a renewed offense by Duke Gisulf II of Salerno which of course we pledge our assistance to.

However with the great focus on the fight in the south trouble begins to brew back home with our steward -and only count-level vassal- Giacopo Orsini seemingly failing at maintaining control without the authority of His Holiness or the Papal army.

Setting off from the recently capture city of Kerkent - now named Girgenti by it's new Norman ruler- the Papal Army boards the fleet and sails to the island of Malta where the forces of Duke Gisulf are already awaiting our arrival.

Papal - Salerno forces make landfall and fight an easy battle, losing just a few hundred to Mdninid's almost one thousand dead. the siege of Malta begins.

With our recent successes in the south and gaining the appreciation and admiration of our feudal peers we begin to let things get to our head and our virtuous ways begin to slip.

And as if by some divine retribution an epidemic surfaces across Italia. No better time to begin investing in hospitals and sanctuaries for the sick and poor across our land.

Some months have passed and the siege of Malta has broken the defenders and the righteous forces of Catholicism march into the streets. Unfortunately the victory over the Muslims does not seem to inspire God's trust in us and the epidemic continues to spread across Italy, a test of our faith to be sure. We can only offer reassurances and remind our feudal neighbours to keep a level head in these trying times.

Renewed offense against the southern infidels will surely please god and make this foul darkness lift from our land. The Serene Doge of Pisa begins an invasion of Mazar and Duke Robert of Apulia marches for the main stronghold of the Sicilian Berbers. Ali Nicmavid having lost control of Kerkent was able to relocate to the northern shores of Sicily, seizing control of the remaining Sicilian Emirate.

Upon arriving at the southern tip of Sicily after Papal forces traveled aboard the Pisan fleet we move our forces inland to counter Nicmavid's raiding party that seeks to sack Girgenti while it is still weak and in dissary from the recent capture by Duke Robert.

It was a trap! With our forces caught fighting the raiding party in the south the main armies of Emir Ali rise, leaving the fortresses of Balharm & Siracusa, immediately surrounding our forces and moving in to cut us from our allies. With the raiding party still not dispatched Nicmavid's forces meet us head on, Papal forces dig in and pray for the best while messengers try to escape the rapidly closing net around us to get word to our allies. Duke Robert arrives on the island but he is still some hours away with much his army and their equipment / horses still disembarking from boats, the Doge of Pisa however heeds our call for help, breaking the siege of Mazar and crossing the Monti Sicani, reaching Papal forces just as we are about to route from the battle. Fresh, experienced and very well equipped soldiers of the Pisan Republic join the fray, saving our army and turning the tide of battle.

A significant battle is won and as the Berber survivors flee back north where they are cut off by the advancing forces of Duke Robert and either captured or slain. We ensure that the Doge of Pisa will know the Pope's gratitude has it's rewards.

It is now the year of our lord 1070, victory at the southern tip of Sicily has been achieved with Mazar (now renamed Trapani) flying the flags of the republic of Pisa. The Duke continues the fight against Ali Nicmavid but the Papal forces are spent, and the Pope is tired and weary from the previous years of overseeing military campaigning, retiring back to Rome for rest. The Consumption continues to ravage the countryside with the bodies continuing to pile up and hundreds trying to gain access to our newly built hospitals. Time has been equally as cruel on us and aging body is beginning to fail.

Fearing we may not be long for this world we begin preparations at once to travel to Jerusalem to seek absolution from God, if not for ourselves then surely for our ravaged land.

We are bed-ridden on the boat journey across the Mediterranean, our physician -Aldelfo, a talented young man from the Duchy of Apulia who joined our court on the way back from Sicily) at our side. He manages to get us well enough to walk again and we step off the boat at the Acre docks with our court and retinue in tow to make the walk to the Holy City. But illness soon takes us again on the road.

We arrive at Jerusalem, holiest place in all the world and not even our deteriorating condition can hide our elation at the opportunity of visiting such incredible places we have spent our life reading and hearing of. And at one of the holy sites, upon over hearing other pilgrims from far afield discussing a sect of healers here in Jerusalem, we are too far gone and too desperate to even consider if these healers might be Catholic, Jew or Muslim or if they even follow God at all. We visit them, and though we are not sure what it is they did, we leave feeling better than ever.

The following evening at the luxurious manor we and our party has hired for our stay in the Holy Land is filled with much revelry, food and drink is passed around and passages of holy scripture recited. All is going well until we have to excuse ourselves and find something very wrong. The rest of the night is a blur as our condition suddenly deteriorates again at a much more rapid rate. We awake the next morning aboard the boat back to Rome, Aldelfo at our side, pensive and forlorn. He informs us we have cancer and will likely not make it back to Italy.

But with a determined, almost mad glint in his eye Aldelfo tells us he may know of a way to cure us, no doubt learnt from some ancient book back in Jerusalem or perhaps there is more to this lowborn man from Benevento than we were initially led to believe. The procedure is dangerous and tells us not to say yes without weighing heavily on the decision first as we may not come out the other side the same. We do not hesitate and tell him to do what must be done, if we are but hours or days from death then what harm is there leaving our life in the hands of this man.

After drinking whatever concoction Aldelfo and his assistants prepared we are not sure what of we experienced was real or part of a fever dream or perhaps glimpses of the other-side. All we know is it went on for hours and every moment was agony, we were sure many times that surely death would take us but our pain only remained and intensified, surely punishment from God for trying to question his will and extending our lives beyond the time he had allowed us to serve him on Earth. By the time the arrive at the docks a short distance from Rome Aldelfo is still completing the final stages of whatever madness he performed on us. We are seemingly well enough to stand just minutes later, exhausted, but physically fit. We step off the boat back onto terra-firma but something is wrong.
We have saved our body, but lost our mind.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 31, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh neat, a Papal CK2 game. I wish Paradox would stop making unplayable governments for CK2, especially since it's fun to watch the Pope wreck poo poo in EU4. :black101:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Ground floor! Can't wait to see this peter out two years from now after the eventual collapse of the Grand Papal Navy and Turkmenistan China conquers the world.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Crossing fingers for Horse Pope!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Take Catholicism to the Far East!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Converter guy here! It's nice to actually read one of these from the beginning!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Getting in on the ground floor of this inevitable militant police state :catholic::hf:::cop:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh neat, a Papal CK2 game. I wish Paradox would stop making unplayable governments for CK2, especially since it's fun to watch the Pope wreck poo poo in EU4. :black101:

I've always wanted to try a CK2 game where you play as a feudal or republican vassal of the pope but never rise above the rank of duke, and see just how much of the world you can conquer on his behalf.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't wait to see this peter out two years from now
I play an unhealthy amount of Paradox games so I'm hoping it won't take that long.

Though I'm still not sure what the target end is, with certain mods and games it could be extended considerably - depending how things go.

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've always wanted to try a CK2 game where you play as a feudal or republican vassal of the pope but never rise above the rank of duke, and see just how much of the world you can conquer on his behalf.

This was my original plan until I discovered the Divine Intervention mod.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Gonna give you the ol' heads up that CK2 is getting new DLC and with it a massive map overhaul. So don't be surprised if the mod becomes incompatible.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Crisis Now posted:

I play an unhealthy amount of Paradox games so I'm hoping it won't take that long.

Though I'm still not sure what the target end is, with certain mods and games it could be extended considerably - depending how things go.

This was my original plan until I discovered the Divine Intervention mod.

Wow... I thought I played a lot of EUIV...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, the pope huh? I enjoyed playing a Duke level Caliph and trying to direct my dynasty that way but this is really something else...

Though I really hope whatever mod you have reenables the events that shame rulers into joining crusades...

And also; Kingdom of God to the Steppes!

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
I should point out the mod also adds a decision to turn the Papacy into a grand empire, if that's the way this ends up going.

Has the same requirements of forming a custom empire. So 1000 prestige, 180 holdings (for reference - that's the same size as all of dejure France and Aquitaine)

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Gonna give you the ol' heads up that CK2 is getting new DLC and with it a massive map overhaul. So don't be surprised if the mod becomes incompatible.

I'm confident the new DLC won't break the mod as the mod doesn't alter anything on the map beyond changing the Pope's government type.
But if that is the case I'll have to keep playing on an older version of the game.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Crisis Now posted:

clearly the correct order of games would be CK2 -> EUIV -> V2 -> HOI IV -> Defcon -> AtE -> LAtE -> Anno 1800 -> Cities Skylines -> XCOM -> Stellaris

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
2 - 1071 - 1078 The Berber Counteroffensive

Days have passed since our return from the Holy Land and something is definitely not right. We slip between moments of clarity and uncertainty, when the mist descends over our mind we lose all sense of who we are, we're almost sure we died on that boat journey. The real Pope's soul now lies at the bottom of the Mediterranean, forever lost, for daring to defy the almighty for just a few more years of life. And just who are we, inhabiting this body? We don't know, but we're alive and for now that is all that matters and it is reason enough to celebrate - and we must keep up appearances.

Festivities are over and honoured guests depart, our miraculous recovery from being at death's door before setting off on pilgrimage was of course the talk of the evening and many things heard and said left us pondering, not just what has occurred to us but the nature of the almighty himself and we seclude ourselves for a while to study.

A year has passed since we left the Isle of Sicily in the midst of war. Duke Robert of Apulia failed to break the siege of Balharm, as food and supplies began running low he and his forces cut their loses, ransacking the local countryside in compensation as they returned to the mainland. Doge Tedice of the Republic of Pisa however had not been resting on his laurels, seizing the southern half of Sardinia in support of one of the Patrician families that had a claim to it - but more importantly he had made landfall south of the Mediterranean, leading a five thousand strong army of mercenaries and holy warriors to try and claim Tripolitania - a huge swath of the African coastline. An act that had not gone unnoticed in the muslim world -along with the expulsion of Berbers from Sicily- and has enticed the local emirs and sultans to band together to oppose this Catholic incursion into their lands. The Papal army was needed once more.

Local garrisons are already engaging the invasion force on Sardinia, led by Emir an-Nasir Hammadid, vassal of the Almoravid Sultanate by the time the Papal army is aboard the fleet and en-route to the island. They land in the safety of Cagliari and then move north to alleviate the locals.

While the Papal army is busy fending off the invasion of Sardinia the republic's troops are bogged down on the shores of Africa, losing men rapidly to the heat, lack of supplies and constant hit-and-run attacks from the local defenders.

We did not go with the army in this renewed conflict (to command from afar, the front-line is no place for his holiness) our age and the pressing issues back in Rome preoccupying us. But perhaps we should have gone. Consumption still lingers in our lands and by some cruel twist of fate we contract the illness. Adelfo, ever loyal and ready to assist his holiness was quick to administer his strange but miraculously successful treatments.

The fight for Sardinia rages and Papal forces begin taking the lead, managing to rout and decimate the forces of Hammadid a number of times, capturing and killing significant people from the lands of Mauretania. So much so the Almoravids decide to cut their loses and pull back fully from Sardinia, rescinding their claims to the island and leaving any surviving Berber on the isle to the mercy of our forces.

On the North African coast Duke Robert has pledged his support for the republic of Pisa, sending much needed reinforcements and supplies for the haggard republic mercenaries. Our own army, equally spent from the months of fighting the Almoravids retire to the safety and seclusion of Corsica, unfortunately in the short time they are off of Sardinia it gives Sultan Tamim 'the cruel' Zirid of Africa enough time to land an overwhelming force in Cagliari, with the republic still busy on mainland Africa we have no choice but to jump in.

Papal forces cross the strait on to Sardinia but have greatly underestimated the size of the African invasion who quickly come bearing down on them. If there is any hope for our brave soldiers to survive quick intervention is needed and emergency gold is directed towards the nearest mercenary group that can be hired and sent to the island.
[img[/img]

Unfortunately it is for naught as the sudden and crushing defeat of local defenders and the failure of our forces to repel the invasion in time as caused the local mayors of Cagliari to go above the orders of the Doge and surrender outright to the Sultan.

This injustice will not stand, and with the Company Of The Rose still under our service and eager for combat we continue the fight against the Sultan.

Bolstered by new peasants from the Roman countryside the Papal forces numbering over five thousand march back into Cagliari to liberate the good Christian locals.

Back in Italia and our good friend and compadre in the fight against the Berbers is facing internal strife as well as the ire of Sultan Tamim 'the cruel' - no doubt sensing the inevitable loss of lower Sardinia once more he has surely turned his attention back to Italy itself in a bid to capture land from Duke Robert while preoccupied with rebellion and uprising. We do everything we can to assist Apulia, though it seems the good Duke has friends far and wide in Europe who have come to his aid.

The extended siege of Cagliari has taken it's toll on the Papal treasury as the Company Of The Rose expects it's hefty charge every month and we have to entrust count Giacopo to meet with the local Jewish guild leaders in Rome to work out a loan deal. While the war wages overseas and far to the south of the peninsular we have been busy attending to the duties of the Holy See, four years have passed since the pilgrimage and through we have gotten better at controlling our dark outbursts they still surface every so often.

The invaders under command of Sultan Tamim are trapped in the south of Italy, the Kaiser himself coming to the aid of Duke Robert and the tens of thousands of pious warriors keeping the infidel occupied long enough for Papal forces to completely retake Sardinia but now the fight must be taken to the shores of Africa. And with any luck the levies from the Rome outskirts and the professionals of the Company of the Rose can capture Tunis with little to no resistance.
Back in Rome we have spent years now studying every scripture, scroll, tome and book we can get our hands on and have become one of the most learned men in Europe.

Months pass and the armies of the Holy See manage to take key cities in Tunis practically uncontested, with our forces approaching the capital and home of the Sultan he has no choice but to surrender.

With the Berber's attempted counter-offensive repelled and Catholic forces stronger than ever, things are finally beginning to look up, the epidemic that has scoured Italia for almost a decade has passed, and for what seems like months now we have managed to control and suppress what ever darkness ales us since the pilgrimage. (Though we are still stricken with consumption and require regular treatments by Adelfo.)

The Papal State has grown, now controlling the southern half of Sardinia, the republic of Pisa has expanded remarkably, winning the long-fought war for Tripolitania and seizing the emirate of Kabylia. Duke Robert is now King Robert, having repelled the major invasion and put down multiple civil wars he has centralized power in the duchy of Apulia enough to be elevated to a kingdom, his coronation held in Rome with much fanfare and great festivities.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, no, the next DLC and patch will do map changes, which are all but guaranteed to ruin old saves and mods.

Also call a crusade for somewhere funny!

And drat that's a lot of Sunni losses...

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Sheesh, Pisa is out of control

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Papal States growing, Christians taking over Muslim lands, everything is going well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Getting lunatic on our very first pope bodes well.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I thought to myself, "hey, this looks like a neat game..." and then I looked at it on Steam. My only reaction was :stonk:

Like... $40 for the game? Okay, cool. A bit pricy, but probably legit.Oh hey, on sale for $10. It was totally $40 this morning when I looked. Nice, but...

Then I looked at the DLC. $131.25, and that's with a 50% sale across the board. Like, seriously? $250 worth of DLC? That's absolutely loving ridiculous. Is it actually even worth that much?

Whatever. Still following this LP at least, because I sure as hell can't afford to drop that much on a single game. :allears:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I thought to myself, "hey, this looks like a neat game..." and then I looked at it on Steam. My only reaction was :stonk:

Like... $40 for the game? Okay, cool. A bit pricy, but probably legit.Oh hey, on sale for $10. It was totally $40 this morning when I looked. Nice, but...

Then I looked at the DLC. $131.25, and that's with a 50% sale across the board. Like, seriously? $250 worth of DLC? That's absolutely loving ridiculous. Is it actually even worth that much?

Whatever. Still following this LP at least, because I sure as hell can't afford to drop that much on a single game. :allears:

You definitely don't have to buy all the DLC. The game's been out a while and is still actively supported, though, which is really cool.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

There used to be a package that would get you up to Old Gods, which was reasonable enough?

I got it through a bundle I think, but yeah, it's crazy unreasonable trying to get into it all right now.

Wait for a sale.

The only DLC I'd say you needed was Old Gods, Way of Life and Conclave.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Expansionwise, I think the idea of just kind of taking Italy and then walling up really is probably the most novel way to go in the end. Maybe we could reach out a bit more to meet the basic requirements for the Holy See but even that is questionable.

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
3 - 1078 - 1088 The Mad Pope

The year is closed out with a feast but what peace has come to the Italian states is soon shattered by renewed offensives by the Berbers to drive out Pisa from their lands.

Duke Gisulf II of Salerno and King Robert of Sicily also raise their armies in support of Doge Tedice and forces of Italy land on the African coast and march straight for the border of the Almoravids. The whole gang is back together.

The smuggler's ring that our fool of a steward Giacopo Orsini let slip into our country a decade ago has grown substantially, emboldened by the Papal army being absent so much in the constant wars against the Berbers and the epidemic that ravaged our lands for so long creating ample opportunity for these delinquents to expand. With the disease gone and proper authority returning they must be growing desperate for now they now target caravans and travelers in the countryside surrounding Rome. If an envoy from a neighbouring kingdom or duchy were to be harassed or even killed by these brigands it would be diplomatic faux pas we would struggle to recover from. Marshal Goffredo is tasked with dealing with these troublemakers.

But the coward refuses to budge, saying he would rather wait for the Papal army to return from campaigning in Africa before dealing with the raiders. Perhaps we ought to just send him off to command the armies himself overseas for this subordination. No, no, if we want these raiders dealt with we can do it ourselves.

With a detachment of the Papal guard we leave Rome under cover of dark to seek out the raiders. We have never swung a sword in our lives, and though we have commanded armies from a far we have never once seen actual combat. But whatever darkness dwells inside us since the pilgrimage is surfacing again, willing us on. We locate their camp and decide it best to sneak in, get as close as we can before revealing ourselves.

A sixty year old clergyman who has spent his life in monasteries doesn't make the best infiltrator and soon enough we and our men find ourselves spotted and quickly surrounded. They would not kill us, not upon learning who we are, a prize that could fetch any price for our ransom. But they would have to catch us to do that! The darkness in our mind takes hold, assuring us God is on our side and the mist descents.

By time we have our next moment of clarity, when we can think and see clearly it is already morning, we are on horseback returning to Rome. The heads of the raider leaders fill sacks dangling from the side our steeds and our men refuse to tell us exactly what transpired in the night gone by, just that it was unlike anything they had seen before. Needless to say we enter Rome under much more fanfare than we left it, the people of Rome appreciating our actions.

Back in Africa and the Almoravid frontline has fallen, towns and forts along the border of Kabylia quickly occupied by Christian forces before they turn their attention to of Sultain Ismail's army.

They rout from the first battle, retreating towards the sea and we press on, trapping them with their backs to the Mediterranean and engage once more. Defeating them handily and ending their attempted invasion.

Just in time for the Emir of Tunis to move into Pisan Tripolitania with us preoccupied in Kabylia.

All the forces in the area converge on Djerba where it seems the single battle that will decide the fate of this land will go down.

Our troops are already tired from fighting the Almoravids, low on supplies and unaccustomed to the African heat. A loss was inevitable. With an overwhelming number of local defenders now scouring the coastline we pull the Papal army back, re-boarding the fleet and heading home for Rome, there is little more that can be done in this war, there will be other wars, other victories to be had.

For the following year of 1081 there is peace and we take the time to use all the knowledge we have gleaned from the many books we have read, sights we have seen in the Holy Land and beyond and experience from fighting the Berbers to make some improvements in Rome.

Hold a grand tournament and just generally do our best to improve the lives of our people here in the city.

It is 1082 and there is only one remaining hold-out of the Berber Sunnis here in Italia - the Emirate of Sicily. For most of our life we have been fighting these infidel, and surely it would displease the almighty to leave this mortal realm without finishing our work.
The Papal army embarks for Sicily, landing on the shores of Balharm and taking the defenders by surprise and quickly securing our beachhead.

However with our troops busy on Sicily the Emir of Tunis seizes the opportunity to retake Sardinia again for the Sunnis, their recent victory against Pisa reinvigorating them. But we are not without friends who jump at the chance to come to our defense and fight the Berber once more.

Victories are attained in Sicily but Tunisian soldiers have landed in Sardinia and begin taking our holdings there. While the Kingdom of Sicily sends it's troops into the heart of Tunis the Republic of Genoa instead seeks to destroy the Emir's army in Sardinia, the larger number of better equipped Genoanese mercenaries on the isle ensures the desctrution of the Tunisian army, the fight must be taken straight to the Emir's land if we are to win this swiftly.

Linking up with King Robert's army our two armies march for the Emir's capital in Medjerda, with few defenders we quickly seize his most prized cities and forts, our armies so great in number we can begin assaulting his holdings with little need for a prolonged siege.
Seeing the futilely of his actions the Emir is brought to heel and we can again focus on Sicily.

The sieges of the Sicilian fortresses go on for a number of years, constant naval convoys of supplies and fresh troops going back and forth across the Gulf of Naples. Mercenaries of The White Company are hired to expedite things, patrolling occupied lands and ensuring no minor uprisings can occur while the main Papal army is busy besieging the last of Emir Ali's forts.

With the other Berber emirs and sultans on the south side of the Mediterranean spent after years of fighting Catholics there is no one to come to the Emir's aid, and seeing the fate of his brethren elsewhere on the isle of Sicily the Emir makes the wise but no doubt hardest decision - he does not surrender to our forces, but surrenders to God. Emir Ali Nicmavid converts to Christianity to save this lands and his people. We personally baptize him in the waters of the Mediterranean and welcome him into the fold and begin the process of rebuilding his war-torn island, there is no ill-will to be had at new brothers of the faith.

Over half a decade has passed since we set out to drive out the last infidel and instead gained a new friend. There are no more Sunnis to be found in Italia, and just like that a weight is lifted from our body and our soul. We have done everything we can to appease God and finally he answers.

Unfortunately the endless march of time is one thing we cannot appease and the years have not been kind on us, now we are surely in our last days and there is little that our beloved Adelfo can do for us now.

We do not fear death anymore, our work is complete and we are ready to meet our maker, but not before we can properly say goodbye to our friends, neighbours and companions that we have fought alongside. The largest feast and celebration we can organize is held in Rome in recognition of victory in Italy. Familiar faces are as old and haggard as ours and new faces of the next generation to continue God's work are all around us. And in a final act of mercy we release all the Berber infidel we have captured over the years - and those that can pay - do so.

The darkness is lifted. We are at peace.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 2, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
So ends the reign of Pope Alexander II "the Mad". Long live Pope Benedictus X!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So does Pope mod disable achievements? I'm curious to give this a go myself next time I boot up CK2

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Always Patient, he never lost his temper. E-except for that one time he rode out with his crozier and personally crushed like twenty bandits to death in open combat while howling like a wolf and still wearing the papal vestments. We, uh, don't talk about that night.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
even Jesus himself did god's work with holy anger, friend

this was not a break of patience

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wonder how the Pope's pilgrimage to Jerusalem at the same time as he was waging a war on Muslims worked :thunk:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So does Pope mod disable achievements? I'm curious to give this a go myself next time I boot up CK2

To get achievements, you have to play vanilla and Ironman.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

megane posted:

Always Patient, he never lost his temper. E-except for that one time he rode out with his crozier and personally crushed like twenty bandits to death in open combat while howling like a wolf and still wearing the papal vestments. We, uh, don't talk about that night.

I love this game :allears:

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder how the Pope's pilgrimage to Jerusalem at the same time as he was waging a war on Muslims worked :thunk:

The pilgrimage was during one of the brief periods of peace.
Though I do wonder if any of the actual Popes did go on pilgrimage to Jerusalem (pre-Crusades) and whether they had to do it under cover as peasants or just showed up in their vestments with a bunch of cardinals in tow.

edit: Answer is apparently no.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 22, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Rodyle posted:

To get achievements, you have to play vanilla and Ironman.

No mods at all? Cause I know EUIV lets me have some cosmetic stuff to change fonts or colours and thats fine. I imagine Pope Mod changes too much, :argh: Paradox!

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No mods at all? Cause I know EUIV lets me have some cosmetic stuff to change fonts or colours and thats fine. I imagine Pope Mod changes too much, :argh: Paradox!

Anything that changes more than the graphics or font (and even then, some of those count) is going to not be playable Ironman.

And I whole-heartily agree, I've been waiting for the Theocratic/Holy-Order/Mercenaries DLC for years. It has to come. Surely!

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Maddest pope is best pope!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crisis Now posted:

Anything that changes more than the graphics or font (and even then, some of those count) is going to not be playable Ironman.

And I whole-heartily agree, I've been waiting for the Theocratic/Holy-Order/Mercenaries DLC for years. It has to come. Surely!

I'm more annoyed at the dumb, impossible achievements you'll never be able to get because the exploits required to complete them keep getting patched out. "The Three Mountains" anyone?

Anyways, its pretty exciting watching Catholicism spread thanks to the Pope and his armies. Any chance we could get end of session screenshots of the world to see how things are coming along in other parts of the game?

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm more annoyed at the dumb, impossible achievements you'll never be able to get because the exploits required to complete them keep getting patched out. "The Three Mountains" anyone?

Anyways, its pretty exciting watching Catholicism spread thanks to the Pope and his armies. Any chance we could get end of session screenshots of the world to see how things are coming along in other parts of the game?

I aim to have a general "state of the world" update with the beginning of each new Pope, assuming we don't have a new one within a year of an existing one.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crisis Now posted:

I aim to have a general "state of the world" update with the beginning of each new Pope, assuming we don't have a new one within a year of an existing one.

Oh, cool! Never mind my request then :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Pope Alexander II did good work. Sure, the Muslims are retaking North Africa, but clearly that was because the Pope wasn't personally fighting.

Also, regarding the DLC discussion above: if playing multiplayer, the host's DLC is applied to everyone. So if you don't own all the DLC, you could use some multiplayer to see if some are worth getting.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 22, 2017

• Locked thread