Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rarx
Jun 8, 2018
Uhm, so did we do horrible things to Mali or not? Guess not.

What do we get for winning? Other than Byzantium falling to pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

rarx posted:

Uhm, so did we do horrible things to Mali or not? Guess not.

What do we get for winning? Other than Byzantium falling to pieces?

We stopped Protestantism cold and ensured that our good Catholic allies in Bohemia will be Emperor. We restored the Holy Mother Church's role. What more could you want?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We could be merciful and give our colonies independence.

rarx
Jun 8, 2018
No Independence, but lower Sergian and Victorian taxes immediately

Patter Song posted:

We stopped Protestantism cold and ensured that our good Catholic allies in Bohemia will be Emperor. We restored the Holy Mother Church's role. What more could you want?

We've restored the Church in the Erzerum region, Scotland, the Netherlands and a piece of Germany bordering France.
In return Catholicism has lost Calatrava Norway to Protestantism (somehow), Eastern Trebizond to Orthodox Shirvan, Eastern Syria to the Yazidi, and half of the Emperor's Bohemia has up and joined Bavaria which has fallen to Reformed rebels!

Since we've defeated the Germans and Greeks and still had them occupied at the end of the conflict we should at the least be able to demand the conversion of a medium-sized country.
And Bavaria needs to give the land back or convert.

Oh, we got to strip the Protestant electors. That's something I guess.

Oooh, sweet, we got a truckload of victories in Ayubia and Avallonis, and Andalusia is almost gone.

rarx fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 6, 2018

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

bony tony posted:

We could be merciful and give our colonies independence.

Why would we do this when we won?

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord
1596 - 1600 - Aftermath

It is the summer of 1596 and the war is at a long last over. Armies return to their nations (The French had to transport our armies from London back to the mainland where they then marched back to Italy) to deal with uprisings, while a great deal of nations have become more insular as they deal with all their internal issues caused by the conflict. A wave of pacifist desire is sweeping across Europe and we cannot help but wish to embrace it as well.

Opinion on Pope Paschalis II is extremely divided (and will likely remain that way for centuries to come). While many Catholic nations (notably France and Hungary) still highly revere him and regard the Papacy as still utterly infallible, there are many (including Catholics) who see the Papal State as nothing more than warmongers.

But regardless of their feelings us there is no disputing now that the Papal State (and by extension the Catholic Church) is the most powerful nation in the world.

While other nations recover from the war the vast majority of Italy (along with parts of France - Hungary - Northern England and Southern Germany) came through unscathed.
We stand alone at the top of the world. This is our golden age.

Efforts begin to rebuild our navy and reinvigorate our merchant ventures (by the end of the war the Papal Fleet was made up prominently of requisitioned merchant vessels repurposed for war). and to cover the cost we are forced to increases tariffs across the colonies.

Technology continues it's relentless advance and the Office of Alchemy harnesses any new development that comes their way. We learn more about the cosmos and the Earth around us with each day. Currently the OA research all manner of chemical and reactions there of - trying to find ways to preserve food, create medicines, make more effect means to propel our new areo-vehicles and refine materials - specifcally iron and steel.

In the Far East the Ouchi of Japan have adopted Catholicism after successive Catholic-following Daimyo, with God (and maybe our forces) on their side they can one day unite their isle.

As one of the most untarnished areas by the war it was not hard for Italian trade to start up once again, and while others put their broken nations back together our merchants were already sailing out for the New World and beyond once more to bring back goods and gold. It has allowed us to become the center of Global Trade.

It is the 1st January 1600. A new century, and hopefully a new Europe that can avoid another war like that if possible, while we will no longer actively pursue attacking and reconverting Protestant nations that will not stop us defending Catholics from them.

(organized by total development)

On the 11th October Pope Paschalis II dies peacefully in his sleep.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 6, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

A pope with Embezzler after the most destructive war in Europe up until now.

I see no way this can end poorly.

rarx
Jun 8, 2018
Ah! You modded Greek to be Catholic, that seems fair! I guess the Protestant Greeks fled for Bavaria and Bohemia while other Catholic refugees fled to Scotland. Hard to fathom what happened in Knightly Calatrava Norway though, maybe Sweden forced a religion change. Poland has also taken a lot of Prussia, and Hungary is still expanding.

Wonderful Catholic gains in the New World. Shirvan and Baghdad have begun attriting us on the Asia Minor periphery though.
Hopefully Spain can defend the Maghreb from further incursions.

Seems harsh to strip France of Ireland and Jylland just because they got occupied for a decade, what with the French navy and army being intact.

Crisis Now posted:

Those world screenshots are actually from 1600 - 4 years on. Those provinces were completely swamped by rebels and France didnt seem to do anything about it until they broke free.

Ah, curse of the lazy AI.

---

We've made a TON of gains in the New World. Uruguay created Patagonia, the Hansa defeated Catholics and Natives, Kanada defeated its neighbors, New Spain has expanded against the natives and reformists, the reformist Guyanas have lost land, and all the surviving reformist countries in the New World have lost their overlords.
Pity about Byzantine Mexiko falling under pagan natives, but that makes it easier for us to take it over.

Edit: Oh well, at least Tlapanec will probably convert to Revivalism or Protestantism. Otherwise it'll have to be Russia or an offshore AI colonizer to hopefully conquer Mexico.
Hmm, a Texan Empire of Russians...

rarx fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 6, 2018

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

rarx posted:

Seems a bit harsh to strip France of Ireland and Jylland just because they got occupied for a decade, what with the French navy and army being intact.

Those world screenshots are actually from 1600 - 4 years on. Those provinces were completely swamped by rebels and France didnt seem to do anything about it until they broke free.

Edit: We're in what will hopefully become the Pax Pontificia era. The Papal State will probably take a bit of a step back from geopolitics - at the very least not go on wars of conquest.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 6, 2018

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If we get a chance while this Pope is alive, we should grab the Mercantilism idea group to take full advantage of our Embezzlement/Global Trade/Gold Age combo.

rarx
Jun 8, 2018
How about Maritime ideas? We need more ships and better admirals to protect our trade and colonies.
Merchant ideas are nice, but we've got like 10,389.17 ducats lying around (maybe we could do some sneaky war subsidies if we're defending for the next 50 years?).

Maritime doesn't boost our income as much, but it's more balanced and our naval capacity is a huge weak point, we've never decisively defeated a massive enemy fleet or defended severla points simultaneously, and we will probably lose colonies sooner or later if we don't expand our fleet, whether it's through mechanics or more likely RP.

rarx fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 6, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did we do religion already?

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

RandomPauI posted:

Did we do religion already?

Yes, yes we did.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember seeing a screen for it or tech announcements.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
If not by the sword, how will we make the protestants and reformists change their ways?

rarx
Jun 8, 2018

Dance Officer posted:

If not by the sword, how will we make the protestants and reformists change their ways?

Too many drat tolerators in government right now.

Best we can do is force peace if any catholics are losing, give out war subsidies and gifts, support rebels, rent out cheap condottieri and fight defensive wars.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well that's a hellwar :stare:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

RandomPauI posted:

I don't remember seeing a screen for it or tech announcements.
Along the pop up for the crusade Crisis Now posted a screenshot of us getting Deus Vult, the last of the Religious ideas.

Purely from a gameplay point of view, I'd say we should pick up a military idea group, but I don't see that happen in this world right now. Trade seems like a good idea and while it seems like we're already rolling in money "I have enough money" said no rich man ever.

quote:

Let's enjoy it while it lasts. Can't be long until France embraces Printing Press. (How haven't they done so yet anyway?)

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

frankenfreak posted:

Can't be long until France embraces Printing Press. (How haven't they done so yet anyway?)

It started deep in Egypt so it's having to slowly spread across the Mediterranean, most don't have it yet. - Even as Global Trade has started.

Crisis Now fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 6, 2018

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Crisis Now posted:

It started deep in Egypt
This loving campaign...

Crisis Now
May 2, 2012

Sword of the Lord

frankenfreak posted:

This loving campaign...

Chrislamics gotta print their Quribles / Bibrans!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Our state is becoming too big and sprawling, I can't help but feel we're heading for a major humbling.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Rarity posted:

Our state is becoming too big and sprawling, I can't help but feel we're heading for a major humbling.

okay

but who's going to do that

we've beaten up everybody who would try to humble us repeatedly

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Faint sound of guillotine blades being sharpened

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Dr. Snark posted:

okay

Peacock Uprising II

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

You know this really would actually be a great time for the peacock to make some inroads again, what with everyone devestated and at zero manpower.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dr. Snark posted:

okay

Religion is the opiate of the masses, comrade

rarx
Jun 8, 2018
Yazidi Communists, the final foe...

Edit: If we're really going for trade (and it sure looks that way), can we at least make sure we avoid too much of a structural surplus by heavy spending on foreign aid and interference? We could help other states maintain the Pax Pontificate for us so we don't end up with like 50,000 ducats before Vicky. 5-10k seems like a good emergency reserve?

rarx fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 6, 2018

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So we had a pre-Napoleonic World War, complete with a reverse Normandy. I'm hoping we see the remnants of Byzantium sparking a French Revolution style uprising as the underclasses get so goddamn sick of the excesses and failures of their nobility. Sure it's a little early, but as they say in GBS, no modsmonarchs, no masters

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trade for the trade god.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So with all the tech advances will you go straight to Stellaris and skip Victoria?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The Office of Alchemy is on track to discover warp drive in around 1740.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

megane posted:

The Office of Alchemy is on track to discover warp drive in around 1740.

When do we get the Papal-Korean Hyperwar?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Bobby Digital posted:

When do we get the Papal-Korean Hyperwar?

Ends in a dramatic fashion when the Yazidi invasion of Rome triggers the tomb of the immortal emperor Severe, leading Somerland to human wave Corea

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

So with all the tech advances will you go straight to Stellaris and skip Victoria?

Nah we get steampunk Victoria and dieselpunk HoI first. And then cyberpunk nationsim from 1950-2200.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This has all been a Ghost in the Shell prequel.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Holy Ghost in the Shell.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What happens when you give a philosophers stone to an AI? A brain in a jar? Well we at SergiTech aim to find out!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Any chance we could glimpse into Sergius’ thoughts, Crisis? I would love to see his reaction to the Twelve Years’ War, even if it’s merely inarticulate rage at the Vactican. Especially if it’s inarticulate rage at the Vactican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarx
Jun 8, 2018
And thus Sergius continues his transformation into Big Boss. He just needs to wait till a proper stun blaster is developed so he can go on a pacifist rampage.

(I'd be disappointed with Sergius actually, if he doesn't keep in mind we defended ourselves. We unnecessarily bombarded London sure, but the Protestants are slavers and literally declared war on Catholicism with the intent to wipe us out. We had little choice that did not end in even greater destruction due to the choices made in the Sergean era (not that he was wrong, when did we ever do anything but help other Catholic nations until EU4? Everyone still came to hate us for their own selfish political reasons, which is why Sergius began building a strong state. The moral choices of the Papacy post-Sergius should be morally defined by its actions after the victorious end to the 12YW. This will be our first chance to chart a philosophical course different to that of our forebears without the baggage of half a continent trying to kill us. (I'll probably vote for more of the same. :) I can't wait to see how the Office of Alchemy deals with communists...!))

rarx fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 6, 2018

• Locked thread