Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My old work had a couple of MicroVAXes 'just in case' til a few years ago. They wouldn't let me take one home when they got chucked out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

afen posted:

Also sold as HP i2000, 733MHz Itanium. It had some weird EFI/BIOS-implementation that's incompatible with everything. I threw it away this year, should have kept the Smart Array 6400 though.

Itanium is literally where EFI was invented, UEFI is when Intel ported it to x86 and standardised things a bit.

Edit: I've worked with HP-UX professionally as recently as a few months ago, I can't imagine doing it for fun :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

where on earth did you find active hp-ux usage

I worked for an antivirus company that among other things makes antivirus for commercial Unix. There's more out there than you might think (banks, etc), though HP is probably the smallest of the remaining Unixes and it is gradually dying off. So not only was I working with HP-UX I was writing new code for it.

And yeah, Itaniums were supposed to go mega fast by offloading all the decision making to the compiler. Trouble is the geniuses doing this were apparently hardware guys who thought compilers are magic, which they really are not, and Itaniums also didn't go mega fast. Their one niche was that they were very good at double precision floating point? I think in the early 2000s for a while.

• Locked thread