Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

i want a bebox

they only sold like ~1,000 beboxes

they are p. rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

I picked up a G4 Cube on eBay and it came with a Cinema Display.

Clearly a dad bought it and never used it and his teenage kid took it over because the HD was full of 2002-era songs in iTunes.

I put a gig of RAM into it and an SSD. Because Safari doesn't understand modern TLS, TenFourFox works but writhes in agony when having to browse the 'modern web' (no fan so you cannot hear it scream)

install linux on it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Agile Vector posted:

its been years, but i remember being impressed with how well ubuntu ran on my g3. i should fish out my g3 beige pizza box and make it a vintage os9 box, though. thatd be a nice weekend project and give it something to do besides run xpostfacto

i always thought the sgis looked cool as heck tbh

they are even cooler inside than out

memory bandwidth to die for
a crossbar switch instead of a system bus
1990s numa
a weird and terrible unix with odd and nifty features

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

where you went wrong was trying to keep bad Linux software running

you should be using mostly period software on those old systems, with nice minimal bridges to modern ones

yeah that visualize c200 would have been a cool lil box with cde and internet explorer 5 on it

the ultimate 90s machine

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NoneMoreNegative posted:

An old acquaintance has an 'old comuter museum' which has an impressive number of exhibits

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/museum-inhabitants.php

e: I didn't know he had a twit for it, very much this thread

https://twitter.com/binarydinosaurs

i collect this poo poo too but i'm more interested in business-y machines

despite being a history of "home" computing your man has got a serious DEC collection going

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

afen posted:

I had one of these shitboxes:

Also sold as HP i2000, 733MHz Itanium. It had some weird EFI/BIOS-implementation that's incompatible with everything. I threw it away this year, should have kept the Smart Array 6400 though.

you bastard this was the o.g. itanium

whyyyy

pram posted:

:pwn: interesting, looks like poo poo though

they're ugly because they are 100% intel engineering samples

customers were never meant to see these but the project was delayed so badly intel ended up rebranding them with vendor logos (dell, ibm, sgi, etc) and drop-shipping them to end-users

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Edit: I've worked with HP-UX professionally as recently as a few months ago, I can't imagine doing it for fun :shobon:

where on earth did you find active hp-ux usage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know i've asked this before but i can never remember - what were itaniums actually good at?

killing competing ISAs while remaining vaporware :getin:

• Locked thread