Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What are some of those things that you do that everyone swears is wrong, but you low-key don't care?

For example, when I microwave potatoes for baked potatoes (which is apparently a heinous sin in and of itself), I never poke holes in them. They've never exploded on me. I don't skim the foam off the top of my soups, because I don't really care if the broth is super clear.

Now you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
There are times where I won't toss my pasta and its sauce together (or even finish it in another pan!). I sometimes want to have some mostly naked noodles in the same bite as properly sauced ones :iiam:

(also hi dino sup)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I like my eggs scrambled hard, over high heat. 9 times out of 10 if I'm making eggs, I'm using the same pan (sans most of the grease) that I made bacon or sausage or whatever in, and would rather scramble it hard than either use a second pan or wait for it to cool. Plus I think wet scrambled eggs are just weird.

Eggs of any other kind (fried, poached) I prefer runny.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I enjoy mayonnaise.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I fukkin looooooooove pre-wrapped american cheese singles. It goes against most of my eating beliefs (which is whole and less processed foods, with minimal packaging). But god drat it they are the best thing on Triscuits.

Tiggum posted:

I enjoy mayonnaise.

Like, normal human amounts of mayonnaise, or do you eat it straight from the jar like a pro?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Like, normal human amounts of mayonnaise, or do you eat it straight from the jar like a pro?
I used to like to get a lettuce leaf and use it like a burrito with mayonnaise for filling. I don't eat lettuce any more though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My favorite pizza is Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I cook with non-stick pans quite a bit more than with stainless steel because it's a lot easier to clean.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

e: okay bad trolling nvm!

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I love all sorts of dark and roasty things but I almost always choose white chocolate sweets over dark chocolate ones when given the choice :colbert:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
occasionally i enjoy ketchup on my hotdogs

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You son of a bitch

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Cheapest brand hot dog, with mayo, on sandwich bread.

But not while anyone's around to see me.

Also singles of American cheese are the superior burger goo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

cream cheese on a toasted hot dog bun

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

cream cheese on a toasted hot dog bun

I had an incredible hot dog the other day that had cream cheese on it. I'm not even ashamed.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I put ketchup and a tomato on most of my burgers

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

It was me. I was the one who poked the yolks of eggs so they'd fry faster.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I do bacon in the oven.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SpannerX posted:

I do bacon in the oven.

I do bacon in the microwave

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

:catstare:

I'll prepare and chop up all the vegetables, but usually skip dicing garlic and just use garlic powder :ssh:

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Nothin sinful about that or the oven

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I put tamago kake gohan in a burrito. I was in a hurry and I have no regrets about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kloa posted:

I'll prepare and chop up all the vegetables, but usually skip dicing garlic and just use garlic powder :ssh:
I use jars of minced garlic or if I'm feeling fancy I crush cloves a bit my with hand and throw them in whole.

I put tomato sauce, dijon mustard and mayonnaise on hotdogs.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hard boil my eggs, and fry them to a crisp, I smear out the egg so it's as thin as possible and as much as possible of the egg is converted by the maillard reaction.

I put ketchup on lasagna (and other Italian dishes).

I like well done chicken and pork.

I like hard shell tacos with the premixed spice bag and all that stuff.

I use dish soap when washing my cast iron pans (it doesn't hurt it I say).

I make tomato and acidic stuff in cast iron cookware, don't care and don't think it matters (good seasoning)

I use a bread rolling pin on pizza dough

Also guilty a lot on the garlic powder stuff.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Nope, that's going to far.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I mix ovaltine and melita drip coffee for breakfast

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

SpannerX posted:

Nope, that's going to far.

We like our bacon pretty well done, so once it starts crisping in its own fat, there's really little difference. I even still save the grease for things like cooking potatoes!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I make stews with ground beef, cubed tomatoes, beans, corn and chili powder and call it CHILI (along with around 98% of the inhabitants of my country, btw)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I once killed a sous chef just to watch him die

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

paraquat posted:

I make stews with ground beef, cubed tomatoes, beans, corn and chili powder and call it CHILI (along with around 98% of the inhabitants of my country, btw)

Yeah, but do you use canned mushrooms in it?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Bliss Authority posted:

It was me. I was the one who poked the yolks of eggs so they'd fry faster.

Really surprised this isn't getting more attention. Truly the worst thing in the thread.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

His Divine Shadow posted:

I use dish soap when washing my cast iron pans

Taima posted:

Really surprised this isn't getting more attention. Truly the worst thing in the thread.

Fixed

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Lol if you clean your cast iron

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
ketchup on burritos

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Ketchup and eggs. Ketchup and hash browns. Ketchup as the glaze for meatloaf. Ketchup is great. Sometimes I use an ~artisanal brand~ but sometimes I prefer Hunt's (never Kraft).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

You are believing in a myth. It's faaaaake!

EDIT: Oh yeah I use bouillon cubes too. But in my defense you can't buy liquid broth in this country and the cubes are better than those yeast grown "fonds" or whatever they are called in english, at least it's just dehydrated broth.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 27, 2017

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Doh004 posted:

There are times where I won't toss my pasta and its sauce together (or even finish it in another pan!). I sometimes want to have some mostly naked noodles in the same bite as properly sauced ones :iiam:

This is me if I make an improv "garbage" bolognese for spaghetti. Spaghetti on the plate and ragu blob in the middle - you control the combination as you go! To add to the sacrilege, despite generally having real parmesan on hand, I sometimes like to put the fake shaky sawdust stuff on the naked parts (AND the noodles hoho).

I put ketchup on lasagna

Never on a decent one, but brown sauce (HP) for me. Also on a cottage pie. This mainly comes from a childhood of very bland versions of both of those dishes. The same reason I have to remember to stop myself from salting soups before tasting them.

Tendales posted:

Cheapest brand hot dog, with mayo, on sandwich bread.

But not while anyone's around to see me.

Maybe not the cheapest brand, but tinned dogs on white bread definitely happens with mustard/ketchup from time to time (and definitely alone).

I only use garlic powder/salt to mix with mayo for a quick dip for pizza crusts and keep some of the jarred stuff on hand for emergencies. But despite almost always using fresh, I DO commit a supposed garlic crime: that poo poo ain't getting finely chopped - it's going through a mincer.

I use metal utensils in non-stick pans (unless they're ceramic). I think I have built up a healthy Teflon immunity over the years.

I think there is a lot of snobbery towards microwaves as not being a "pure" way to cook or something. They're very good at certain tasks and it's not "cheating" to use the right tool for the right job. If it happens to be more convenient then surely so much the better! For example most vegetables for a side work great in a microwave steamer. Microwave "baked" potatoes (mentioned above) are their own thing and good if you don't have an hour to do it the "correct" way - you can always finish them off in the oven to get the crispy skin. A lot of delicate fish (looking at you especially, trout) also works fantastically.

There's nothing wrong with stock/bouillon cubes.

Most of the time I'll dress a salad with a nice homemade vinaigrette or some decent balsamic or the like but sometimes I just want to chuck some Salad Cream on it for myself. It's also a nice variation instead of mayo in egg salad for sandwiches. Tangy!

I'll get my coat...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The other day I felt lazy, so had leftover cole slaw as a main dish. It was over-dressed, so I added the same volume of corn flakes. Added leftover homemade tomatillo sauce. It was loving amazing.

:same: with a scouring pad and sometimes copper wool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes, I spread peanut butter in between two strawberry pop tarts, effectively making a pop tart sandwich.

I also spread nutella and bananas on top of brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts and eat those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

This is totally fine in 2017. The "no soap on cast iron" thing dates back to when dish soap was a harsh cleanser, and you needed big yellow rubber gloves to protect your hands while you washed up. Modern dish soap is actually detergent, not a true soap. It's not harsh enough to strip away any polymerized fat.

• Locked thread