Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I enjoy mayonnaise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Like, normal human amounts of mayonnaise, or do you eat it straight from the jar like a pro?
I used to like to get a lettuce leaf and use it like a burrito with mayonnaise for filling. I don't eat lettuce any more though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kloa posted:

I'll prepare and chop up all the vegetables, but usually skip dicing garlic and just use garlic powder :ssh:
I use jars of minced garlic or if I'm feeling fancy I crush cloves a bit my with hand and throw them in whole.

I put tomato sauce, dijon mustard and mayonnaise on hotdogs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I really don't know how it's even possible to be bad at cooking rice. Put rice and water in a saucepan on the stove and leave it there till it's done. It's that simple. If measuring out the amounts written on the pack is too much hassle, just put in way too much water and strain it off at the end. It's basically the same as pasta, which no one ever seems to have a problem with.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I eat peanut butter and Vegemite sandwiches. And I insist that you try it. You will not regret it. Butter both slices of bread, spread peanut butter on one and Vegemite on the other and close it up (like any sandwich). The flavours combine in an unexpectedly delicious way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dino. posted:

Is it mostly the having of the various ingredients on hand? My friend spend a year in Northern Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, and that general area of the world. When he got back, he started making hella more thai food. Legit, most of it is like. Grill/stir-fry/roast/heat up _______ protein. Add a bunch of shallots, a bit of ginger, some garlic, and lime juice, and sometimes lime leaves. And then throw on a bunch of cilantro because why the hell not. It's so fresh and delicious.

You forgot the part where you make literally everything taste of coconut.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, coconut is mainly in the southern curries. I don't think tiggum has had much Thai besides green, red and yellow curries from magazine/internet recipes.
I've mostly had Thai food at restaurants, because a few of my friends really like it. I generally just put up with the coconut, because I don't hate it, I'd just prefer that not everything on the menu tasted so strongly of it.

C-Euro posted:

Coconut milk is the base for curry "broth" so yeah any Thai curry you eat is probably going to have some coconut. I'm not a huge coconut fan but honestly I've never really been able to taste it in a finished curry. If you can taste the coconut you either have too much milk or not enough paste.
I guess if you're making it yourself you can adjust it to taste, but whenever I've been to a Thai restaurant it's been the dominant flavour of everything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I like tomato sauce (ketchup). On hotdogs, on chicken nuggets, on pies, on sausage rolls, even on chips if there's no mayonnaise. I know it's one of the most popular condiments that exists, it just seems like around here this is an unpopular opinion.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I don't really 'get' chocolate
Same. It's fine, I don't dislike it, it's just not this amazing life-changing thing that some people seem to think it is. I could take it or leave it. There are some foods that I'd be really disappointed if they suddenly vanished from the world somehow, but chocolate isn't one of them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Now I have just discovered that Brits call ketchup tomato sauce.
Australian, not British. (Unless it's both? I think it's just Australia)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

We call it the Italian names of "passata" for pureed tomatoes, and "sugo" for cooked down and flavoured tomatoes (sugo al pomodoro).
I've never heard anyone use these terms. Mostly people call sauces made from tomatoes (eg. on a pizza or pasta) "tomato sauce". It's usually pretty clear from context whether they mean ketchup or something else.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Shows up on every recipe I've got, try searching some proper recipes. Otherwise it's pizza sauce or tomato pasta sauce. Ie, not tomato sauce on the pizza, just pizza sauce, likewise for pasta sauce.
I said I've never heard it, not that the term doesn't exist. If someone said to me they were making "sugo" I would have no idea what they were talking about because that is not a term anyone I know uses. It may be the "correct" word for it, but that doesn't mean people actually use it in everyday conversation.

And yes, often you'd say "pasta sauce" or "pizza sauce" or whatever, but I was thinking more along the lines of if you're telling someone what you're making for dinner you'd say "pasta with tomato sauce" not "pasta with pasta sauce".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Are we getting regional variations again? I'm used to tomato paste as the broad pizza/pasta sauce base, with ketchup called tomato sauce.
Tomato paste is just, well, tomato paste. It's not a sauce by itself (although obviously you can use it as one if you want, no one can stop you).

• Locked thread