Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Demonstratively superior UGA teams in 2004 and 2007 lost the East because they yakked up stupid games to Tennessee (who both times were coming off an embarrassing loss), so I'm preparing for the worst.

Also LSU sucks, because the same Miss. State team that looked bigger and stronger and smarter than the Tigers were utterly enveloped by UGA the entire night. Dan Mullen is a fine enough coach, not a SUPERGENIUS, and against athletes who can ball, that scheme goes *poof*. Also nice to see that Todd Grantham is still giving up back-breaking third-down conversions. Waddle along now, Todd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Henchman of Santa posted:

LJ went from breakout player on a team that should've been undefeated to lone bright spot on a terrible team to net negative on another terrible team.

If Maryland is down to their third string QB for the rest of the year that should be easily winnable too.

We get lucky with Indiana and that's 5. I wonder if we can sneak to 6 and lose to a MAC team in the Pizza Bowl.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

We get lucky with Indiana and that's 5. I wonder if we can sneak to 6 and lose to a MAC team in the Pizza Bowl.

An Ohio State fan friend of mine is banking on us beating the Buckeyes in a stupid way to go 5-7 and get in on APR.

Northwestern is also capable of losing to anybody. I'm going to that game with my dad.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

SpiritualDeath posted:

CU was great last year and performed about the same vs. the Dubs in the CCG?

On the surface it looks that way, but in reality that CCG was a bit of a fluke. Our star qb was significantly injured which is why he was so ineffective and our offensive line was pretty banged up. This season we had a healthy team and got rolled

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Crotch Bat posted:

But this isn't last year and 10-3 in the Sun Belt is such a useless stat anyway, the Sun Belt is like 80% teams who are transitioning from FCS, the entire conference is usually in the bottom 20% of all teams year-to-year. This year they've beaten an FCS team and squeaked by a Texas State team that's probably one of the ten worst teams this year. Wake eeking out a win over App State is not a great sign unless your expectations are just "please don't lose". Suggesting App State is like GT is just wrong for a variety of reasons.

last yearr texas state was the second worst team in america lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chump Farts posted:

norhtwestern is insanely bad this year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ugh that sucked so bad. We win that game if their starting running back is literally anyone else in the country. It unfair for someone to be that strong and that fast. Outside of maybe mccaffrey in the Rose Bowl that's the best I've ever seen a RB play.

Still feel alright about the rest of the season. I was worried that game was going to be a blowout and we kept it close the whole way and basically shut down the non-Barkley parts of the offense. That's the best the DLine has played all year in terms of pass rush and the secondary looks a lot better with Hooker starting at safety over Gervase.

Offensive play calling was really bad in the first half. Brian has been pretty creative and aggressive by Iowa standards so far this year but he just shutdown and went to something out of the Greg Davis playbook. I love Wadley but he needs room to be effective and just plowing him into the teeth of an all out run blitz over and over is a terrible idea. We need to find a power back to complement him like Daniels did last year or he's going to die. We also should have been doing way more draws, screens, and early down passing in general. You could tell Stanley was amped up and off but he's still played pretty well and if they're begging you to pass like that you have to show you can do it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

MourningView posted:

Ugh that sucked so bad. We win that game if their starting running back is literally anyone else in the country. It unfair for someone to be that strong and that fast. Outside of maybe mccaffrey in the Rose Bowl that's the best I've ever seen a RB play.

Still feel alright about the rest of the season. I was worried that game was going to be a blowout and we kept it close the whole way and basically shut down the non-Barkley parts of the offense. That's the best the DLine has played all year in terms of pass rush and the secondary looks a lot better with Hooker starting at safety over Gervase.

Offensive play calling was really bad in the first half. Brian has been pretty creative and aggressive by Iowa standards so far this year but he just shutdown and went to something out of the Greg Davis playbook. I love Wadley but he needs room to be effective and just plowing him into the teeth of an all out run blitz over and over is a terrible idea. We need to find a power back to complement him like Daniels did last year or he's going to die. We also should have been doing way more draws, screens, and early down passing in general. You could tell Stanley was amped up and off but he's still played pretty well and if they're begging you to pass like that you have to show you can do it.

Good news. You are winning next week.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
Oklahoma State looked like garbage, TCU looked like compost, which is slightly better than garbage, so congrats

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FizFashizzle posted:

Gatech put the ball on the ground five times and still dominated Pitt yesterday.

Bees are real good y'all.

Ever since Pitt joined the ACC, we've never had a dull game against them. First we had Pitt turning it over 5 times in the first quarter, then we had two games lost on last-minute field goals, and then this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chump Farts posted:

Good news. You are winning next week.

Eh, I don't think MSU is very good but it's not a gimmie. We tend to play up or down to our competition and there's gonna be some let down when it's not a huge night game in Kinnick. I could see some hangover and we need to figure out how to get the offense going earlier

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Guys I had no idea how dire the situation was in Mizzou until last nights game. I knew they were not a very good team this year but holy crap they made an Auburn offense which has been stalled in 1st gear for a couple of years look like our 2010 offense with Cam.

With that said there were a lot of promising things to come out of the game for Auburn, as would be expected in a blowout on the road. Stidham looked much, much better than he did against Clemson (again, duh) and I'm gaining real hope that he's going to keep developing. He looked much more in sync with the receivers, was aware of his pocket and options, and as I mentioned in the GDT I think Sept 23rd's final kick in the nuts to me will be giving me real hope that Stidham has a chance against 'Bama.

One other thing I took away was our running game, which ACTUALLY HANDED OFF THE JET SWEEP INSTEAD OF FAKING IT for the first time in forever. It was both promising in the sense that it was much more dynamic and non-predictive, however I did notice that to get to that point we did the same "fake jet sweep run up the middle" play over and over in the first third of the game. It's almost like the staff is insisting on establishing that as a success before opening the playbook, which if so is quite concerning given that it, well, hasn't worked for quite some time.

A large amount of this success can be attributed to the state of Mizzou football, hopefully the coaching staff takes the right things away from this game and keeps rolling with a more dynamic game plan for next week.

In other news and views:

Lane Kiffin lost to Buffalo.

Kentucky wins the *Bad team name here* you are *Bad team name here* award for this week.

gently caress Penn State

Bret Bielema is sooooooo fired

I legit recorded the Vandy-Bama game because I had a "feeling" it might be a close game.... I stopped recording after the first quarter.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
So about Missouri...

Yes, they had won the East two years in a row, but Pinkel didn't exactly take advantage of that for recruiting. The classes signed after those seasons were 37th (last in the SEC) and 25th (12th in the SEC). Both classes have had departures. These classes are the juniors and seniors.

However, the players have not really developed under Odom either. The back seven of the defense is just a bunch of guys and DLineZou is gone for the most part. They miss tackles and blow assignments a lot.

The offense wouldn't look so bad if: A. Heupel could mix it up and B. the receivers hands didn't disappear anytime we play anyone worth a poo poo. Lock also still makes boneheaded mistakes too. If they can't score easily on long plays, they don't score at all.

The team seems to be unable to come back if they get punched in the mouth.

I do think they should fire Odom, but if they were going to fire him midseason, the Purdue game was the one to do it after. That game was unacceptable. They got demolished by a team that had lost 40 of its last 50 games.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

Thoguh posted:

The waving thing is cool but Iowa is going to injure itself with all the back patting about it.

this take is almost as bad as your program

thank's

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

the mean lunch lady posted:

So about Missouri...

Yes, they had won the East two years in a row, but Pinkel didn't exactly take advantage of that for recruiting. The classes signed after those seasons were 37th (last in the SEC) and 25th (12th in the SEC). Both classes have had departures. These classes are the juniors and seniors.

However, the players have not really developed under Odom either. The back seven of the defense is just a bunch of guys and DLineZou is gone for the most part. They miss tackles and blow assignments a lot.

The offense wouldn't look so bad if: A. Heupel could mix it up and B. the receivers hands didn't disappear anytime we play anyone worth a poo poo. Lock also still makes boneheaded mistakes too. If they can't score easily on long plays, they don't score at all.

The team seems to be unable to come back if they get punched in the mouth.

I do think they should fire Odom, but if they were going to fire him midseason, the Purdue game was the one to do it after. That game was unacceptable. They got demolished by a team that had lost 40 of its last 50 games.

They picked a great time to really blow it too. Best in-state recruiting class in a long rear end time and they're going to be the worst they've ever been. No more True Son bullshit hires. Go for the homerun hire of a fun G5 coach and if it fails, it fails. Or pump the donors to see if it's possible to steal a P5 coach worth a poo poo.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Oklahoma barely survived 49-41 against a team that lost to liberty 45-41 and is 0-4. By transitive property I'm pretty sure Baylor would be Ohio State.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Shappa posted:

Bret Bielema is sooooooo fired

Bret Bielema still has a $15 million buyout! And it only drops to $11 million on January 1, 2018.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Oklahoma barely survived 49-41 against a team that lost to liberty 45-41 and is 0-4. By transitive property I'm pretty sure Baylor would be Ohio State.

yes. i'm worried that baylor is getting better and may actually win a game by the end of the season, ruining the dream

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the children's hospital behind Kinnick new? I don't remember it before.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Dirk Pitt posted:

I went to bed at 14-0 in the OU game. What the gently caress happened?

Mike Stoops dialed up the 2014 OU-Baylor gameplan

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

D.N. Nation posted:

Also LSU sucks, because the same Miss. State team that looked bigger and stronger and smarter than the Tigers were utterly enveloped by UGA the entire night.

LSU is soft as poo poo this year. Weak and slow and poorly coached. Gonna be real ugly once SEC play starts. But Orgeron somehow has a 15 million buyout, because I'm sure other schools were clamoring for his services.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is the children's hospital behind Kinnick new? I don't remember it before.

The U of I hospital has been across the street forever but they just opened that massive new wing for the children's hospital this year.

Thoguh posted:

The waving thing is cool but Iowa is going to injure itself with all the back patting about it.

lol are you really gonna be cynical about a thing that makes sick kids happy because you don't like a sports team

Maybe ISU can start waving at sick cows so you can stop feeling left out

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 24, 2017

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

FSU still ranked in the coaches. :laffo:

1 Alabama 4-0
2 Clemson 4-0
3 Oklahoma 4-0
4 Penn State 4-0
5 Southern California 4-0
6 Washington 4-0
7 Michigan 4-0
8 Georgia 4-0
9 Ohio State 3-1
10 Wisconsin 3-0
11 Texas Christian 4-0
12 Virginia Tech 4-0
13 Miami 2-0
14 Oklahoma State 3-1
15 Auburn 3-1
16 Washington State 4-0
17 South Florida 4-0
18 Louisville 3-1
19 Utah 4-0
20 Florida 2-1
21 San Diego State 4-0
22 Louisiana State 3-1
23 West Virginia 3-1
24 Mississippi State 3-1
25 Florida State 0-2

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Has there ever been an 0-2 team in the top 25?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Thanks for loving up ourquality win FSU u loving jobbers

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Scionix posted:

Hey you've still got a quality win over Vandy.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scionix posted:

sorry, we're just going through some things

:negative:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a mid-major, Miami talks a lot of poo poo

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

I mean, we've been down for around 13 years at this point, and you still haven't caught up in championships.

To be honest, I have no real belief we'll beat you this year, and I'm expecting a lovely 6 hour drive back from tally.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Scionix posted:

Alabama's #1 ranking now in jeopardy

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

the mean lunch lady posted:

So about Missouri...

I think you may be overvaluing the "two-time SEC East champ" label.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I think you may be overvaluing the "two-time SEC East champ" label.

We won it two years in a row and our team is dog poo poo so this is true

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I know when it was and I watched it but I legit don't remember our last SEC championship and I wouldn't want to take a quiz on our last division title season.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to take any quizzes though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
News: ooooooooooooooooh oh oooooooooooooooohoooooo oooooooooooooooooooooo and two

Views: them dawgs is hell don't they?!

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

vyst posted:

Has there ever been an 0-2 team in the top 25?

I feel like Michigan and Notre Dame have pulled that off in the past. Preseason polls and traditional powers.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Oklahoma State looked like garbage, TCU looked like compost, which is slightly better than garbage, so congrats

Both teams looked pretty good, especially the 2nd half OSU offense? Not sure where you're at here.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm willing to overlook FSU being an 0-2 top 25 when they've had their schedule trashed because of hurricanes that aren't the Hurricanes.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

AP Poll:
code:
1	Alabama
2	Clemson	
3	Oklahoma	
4	Penn State	
5	USC	
6	Washington	
7	Georgia	
8	Michigan