Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
That's how long it's been since the release of Bungie's phenomenal shooter, Halo 3.

I have plenty of fond memories of this game from my high school years, whether over Xbox Live or with my good friends in many a 4-player free-for-all. The campaign was great, too- it provided a great finish to the trilogy (which was somewhat undone with Halo 4, unfortunately) and was an excellent showcase of how far Bungie had come, not just with Halo, but with game development in general. It provided gamers with a lot of excitement and hope for Bungie's future endeavors (which was somewhat undone with Destiny, unfortunately) and was the most popular shooter ever until Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare eventually overtook it several months later. Many people consider it, along with the first 2 Gears of War games in '06 and '07, to represent the peak of popularity for Microsoft's Xbox brand, solidifying it as a prime contender in the gaming console market (which was somewhat undone with the Xbox One, unfortunately)

Anyways, let's all take a moment to honor this amazing game. Thank you Bungie! Thank you Halo 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
havent played it op

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Had the Helmet. It actually fit me

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

elf help book posted:

havent played it op

It's never too late to start.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liquid Drink posted:

lol

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

ATTN the one other Imp that has an Xbox One:

https://twitter.com/halo/status/910898508915286016

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
someone left a halo 3 disk at my house years ago and then eventually someone else stole it years ago. easy come... easy go...

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This was the first and only game I went to a midnight launch for so this thread is hitting me right in the feels.

Soral
May 30, 2009

never heard of it

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
hmm yes but you see halo sucks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i landed the warthog jump on my first try and never realised i saw a secret ending until i saw people posting about it years later

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
halo 3 has my favorite set of multiplayer maps, i think. so many good memories

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

did it have Blood gulch map? kek

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i did a halo 3 lan party w/ friends last winter, and it was epic. truly some great maps.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

i must compose posted:

hmm yes but you see halo sucks

Please elaborate, Retard I've Never Seen Before.

One Man Trash
Jun 6, 2013
RIP Sergeant Johnson

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Soral posted:

never heard of it

Bull poo poo. I thought you were getting help for this type of crap dude.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The custom multiplayer games for this make up some of my fondest memories. I had lots of fun playing these maps where people abused spawning glitches to make dozens of props spawn midair and launch off of gravity pads in every direction. The goal was to see who could survive the longest and we called it "Hurricane Katrina"

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

You know what I really miss? Theater modes. Halo 3/ODST/Reach's Theater Mode has yet to be topped, and the one in CoD: Black Ops 1/2 and Modern Warfare 3 was good too. I guess game devs kinda cut them out because people can just record footage and stream, but... it really isn't the same. I want to be able to zip around and replay matches from any possible angle and have fun editing it in cool ways.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

The custom multiplayer games for this make up some of my fondest memories. I had lots of fun playing these maps where people abused spawning glitches to make dozens of props spawn midair and launch off of gravity pads in every direction. The goal was to see who could survive the longest and we called it "Hurricane Katrina"

Lmfao

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

havent played it op

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

trying to jack off posted:

i landed the warthog jump on my first try and never realised i saw a secret ending until i saw people posting about it years later

didnt know that was a secret ending until this post, Warthog jump landing brother

the level design in Halo and Halo 3 is god tier. Legendary mode with terminals linking it all to Marathon to seal the deal. glad to remember it, op.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You know what I really miss? Theater modes. Halo 3/ODST/Reach's Theater Mode has yet to be topped, and the one in CoD: Black Ops 1/2 and Modern Warfare 3 was good too. I guess game devs kinda cut them out because people can just record footage and stream, but... it really isn't the same. I want to be able to zip around and replay matches from any possible angle and have fun editing it in cool ways.

Ahh theatre mode. Where you could replay yourself in slow mo dodging enemy battle rifle bullets completely on accident but still looking like a badass. I miss that mode. Also highjacking people's ghosts by kicking them off was fun as hell

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish I could play this on pc lmao

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

The first time I played Halo online was at a friend's house. I got in a Warthog, some random guy hopped on the gun. I was figuring out the controls still, but the gunner was like "Let's go, brother," so I start flooring it across the map. A hill popped up, I hit it at the wrong angle, went airborne, and as we were both tumbling at high speed toward the enemy base the gunner shrieked "What is this loving Kindergarten??!!"

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

it was awesome to kill people and hear them calling you a human being as you ran over the top of their corpse

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler

frank.club posted:

I really wish I could play this on pc lmao

Apparently, you can. For multiplayer, at least.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Mush Man posted:

Yeah it works pretty well too, had no problems setting it up and playing it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

it was awesome to kill people and hear them calling you a human being as you ran over the top of their corpse

This was probably the best implementation of voice chat with strangers ever

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mush Man posted:

What the

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Liquid Drink posted:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

This was probably the best implementation of voice chat with strangers ever

it's true

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

whats up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You know what I really miss? Theater modes.
hell yeha. i can't believe that poo poo hasnt been stolen by every multiplayer game since. i still have a bunch of replays stored of local multi games we played during christmas time

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
theater mode and forge were so badass back then..........

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
that assault rifle looks like a squirtgun.

masta chief, squirting the masta flava of mountain dew in yo face. the death is from the 'beetus.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

Kthulhu5000 posted:

masta chief, squirting the masta flava of mountain dew in yo face. the death is from the 'beetus.

Lmfao! This guy gets it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Liquid Drink posted:

lmao

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kthulhu5000 posted:

This thread's Pole-jack a Norseman

• Locked thread