Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
That's how long it's been since the release of Bungie's phenomenal shooter, Halo 3.

I have plenty of fond memories of this game from my high school years, whether over Xbox Live or with my good friends in many a 4-player free-for-all. The campaign was great, too- it provided a great finish to the trilogy (which was somewhat undone with Halo 4, unfortunately) and was an excellent showcase of how far Bungie had come, not just with Halo, but with game development in general. It provided gamers with a lot of excitement and hope for Bungie's future endeavors (which was somewhat undone with Destiny, unfortunately) and was the most popular shooter ever until Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare eventually overtook it several months later. Many people consider it, along with the first 2 Gears of War games in '06 and '07, to represent the peak of popularity for Microsoft's Xbox brand, solidifying it as a prime contender in the gaming console market (which was somewhat undone with the Xbox One, unfortunately)

Anyways, let's all take a moment to honor this amazing game. Thank you Bungie! Thank you Halo 3!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

elf help book posted:

havent played it op

It's never too late to start.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

ATTN the one other Imp that has an Xbox One:

https://twitter.com/halo/status/910898508915286016

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

i must compose posted:

hmm yes but you see halo sucks

Please elaborate, Retard I've Never Seen Before.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

You know what I really miss? Theater modes. Halo 3/ODST/Reach's Theater Mode has yet to be topped, and the one in CoD: Black Ops 1/2 and Modern Warfare 3 was good too. I guess game devs kinda cut them out because people can just record footage and stream, but... it really isn't the same. I want to be able to zip around and replay matches from any possible angle and have fun editing it in cool ways.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

The custom multiplayer games for this make up some of my fondest memories. I had lots of fun playing these maps where people abused spawning glitches to make dozens of props spawn midair and launch off of gravity pads in every direction. The goal was to see who could survive the longest and we called it "Hurricane Katrina"

Lmfao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Kthulhu5000 posted:

that assault rifle looks like a squirtgun.

masta chief, squirting the masta flava of mountain dew in yo face. the death is from the 'beetus.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

extremebuff posted:

was there something horribly wrong with it compared to halo 3? i havent played any halo outside 1 and 2

I think the MP is okay, but it definitely doesn't feel like a Halo game, either in SP or MP.

343's handling of the franchise has been questionable, at best, ESPECIALLY as far as story is concerned. Bungie's Halo series was one of the few settings in a western-made game that I really cared about enough to read the books and comics and stuff as a kid, and I still love the aesthetics and art design in those games to death, but everything in 4 and 5 just kind of sucks and isn't cool or interesting and everything looks lame (everything about the Prometheans is stupid) It also doesn't help that they keep retconning everything from Bungie's games either.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The only story thing I liked in the 343 games is the concept behind the Infinity stuff in 4, with your MP character being an actual Spartan in the world with their own storyline in Spartan Ops and the MP matches being training sims--I really like games where you can have an actual character in MP. I was a little irked that they dumped it for 5. Everything else feels like fanfiction, though. I groaned out loud when they announced that the Forerunners were coming back.

I will give them credit for the new Forerunner guns which I like a lot. Their games are not as good as the Bungie games but I still play 5 a good bit and will buy 6 when it comes out.

Spartan Ops was the best thing in 4 by a long shot so of course it's not gonna be in 5.

Also it's been said a million times but it has to be said again and again: no splitscreen is unforgivable

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

343 killed off the ODST characters in a book so they could make Nathan Fillion a Spartan and kill off any hope of ODST 2 at the same time

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

who invented the loot box? because i want to go back in time and... i dunno tell him not to

Gaben

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I remember the Duck Hunt custom mode where players would rotate between one team getting fed out of jet ramps to fly through the air across the map and the other team shooting at them with gauss hogs to get points

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Squeezy Farm posted:

that one was cool. i also liked the one where everyone was on a small square platform and gravity cannons launched random poo poo at you to dodge, with the last one standing getting a point. i think there was another where one player was in charge of tossing the garbage down to get flung at players

Omfg yes

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

Rocket Race was such good funny gaming. i dont understand why FPS developers keep trying to cater to these frustrated competitive serious esports gamers, just give me a place where i can have goofy fun with my friends

The only FPS in recent years that's come even close to Halo wrt fun user made game modes is Team Fortress 2, and well...... lol...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Didn't one of the recent CoDs have some game modes like that? I think a lot of them were seasonal.

Yeah but those were just a handful of custom modes made available by the devs every once in a blue moon. I want a game with hundreds of different wacky modes curated by the community and that's apparently too much to ask for now

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I give modern Bungie a lot of poo poo but if they straight up copied Halo 3/Reach Forge with minimal effort and awkwardly stuck it into Destiny 2 I'd buy the collectors edition in a heartbeat

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

frank.club posted:

The most insane forge mode I played was this version of infection where all the human players were locked in this grid and could only jump to move. The zombies started at the top of this huge ramp with every land vehicle in the game and they had to try to road kill the human plays who had to jump over the cars. Eventually my friends found out that if you shot the teleport mesh that sent vehicles that missed or hit back to the top of the ramp with an explosive it would make whatever was going through the teleporter at that exact moment fly out again at super speeds at the human players. It hit one guy so hard that his rag doll skipped across the water under the map like a stone for 10 seconds. The map was called jump rope

https://youtu.be/OsH6ISh19WI

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

• Locked thread