Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
gin & bourbon are good

ed: is shingaki no bahamut - virgin soul a trainwreck? I have never seen anything go off the rails quite like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

drat, really? I heard so much praise for it in the first half I was really looking forward to watching it.

It's not the worst thing in the world. It's gorgeously animated & Nina is a very cute & fun lead, even if she makes the worst decisions in the world. But if you're expecting any kind of sensible payoff to the plot or real character development, oof.

Sefal posted:

Does Bahamut show up in Season 2?

He does! And boy is he angry!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
What should I watch this season? Nothing's really jumping out to me. The recs thread seems pretty quiet.

Recent shows I've liked:

Winter '16-17
Demi-Chan
Konosuba
LWA
ACCA
Mob Psycho 100

Spring-Summer '17
MHA
Princess Principal!
Symphogear!
Centaur's Worries

Oh god, does this mean I like moe

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 9, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
thanks crew!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

dogsicle posted:

this whole chain was started to recommend shows to a person who has already seen pripri! gosh!!!

I don't mind

it was so good

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Darth Walrus posted:

Virgin Soul did have the all-consuming Sexy Anime Hitler romance arc.

:argh:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

I might be dropping Land Of The Lustrous. It's incredibly pretty and all, but the moment to moment flow of the show seems to run on weird moon-logic and I'm having a really hard time grounding myself in any of the characters or finding any sort of baseline rules about how life in this setting is even supposed to work. Like, this whole episode went in a big circle where I initally thought they were going to scrape Phos out of those big glowing Phos-colored cracks in the snail shell that Dia explicitly notices and uses to fight the snail, but then they wave it off with "Welp there's nothing in the shell", but then Cinnabar basically says "did you check the shell" and they go back to what I assumed they were going to do 20 minutes ago.

Just a really...odd show.

That's funny, because it's exactly why I like it. I love the languid tone and inhuman characters. The fact that the show decided to replace it's main character with a snail for the entire third episode is kind of amazing. I was kind of waffling on the show up until this latest episode and now I'm hooked.

Also, isn't 'anime steven universe' a little redundant?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Homura and Sickle posted:

the cool thing is it predates steven universe but appeared at a time where steven universe would have already been in development so its definitely just a case of 2 ppl on opposite sides of earth having a near identical idea at p much the exact same time

the idea rocks

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

2017 has had a lot of good shows, but yeah guruguru is easily the best.

guruguru is great! it's no princess principal or symphogear though :colbert:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The_White_Crane posted:

You might say it... rocks? :cool:

HEY. HEY. THAT WAS AN OROGINAL IDEA DO NKT STRAL.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

I didn't know what that is! I was proudly anime-free 2005-2015

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

kater posted:

Land of Lustrous Tier List:

Benitoite
Ulrichite
Bort
Uraninite
Diamond
Emerald
Sapphire
Usoro
Tungsten
Amethyst

I may have only seen 3 episodes but Phos is the best

What is wrong with you??

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Is blend-s good?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
No. That's how you get the other boards.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I haven't finished flip flappers but mostly I think it looks really good

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Nate RFB posted:

March Lion S1, Rakugo S2, ACCA, Maid Dragon, and Demi-chan was Winter 2017. It was nuts.

I finally started watching ACCA and it's rad. If you somehow slept on that one, well, don't. It's just got so much style.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

GorfZaplen posted:

I won't commit to Darling in the Franxx until I know what it's about

as far as I can tell, it's gurren lagann but with sexy lady robots? sounds like peak trigger to me.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
i deeply loved kill la kill although (because?) I was disgusted by it, so gently caress it, I'm down

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Colonel posted:

have you watched lwa

i did and it was great, but I didn't like it as much as KLK. It didn't rain blood enough or something.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Caught up on Blend-S. I'm having a good time!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DisDisDis posted:

the gray haired one catmouth one still hasn't been introduced

Futaba Anzu posted:

also it presents its employee employer relationship fully sincerely and no one makes any jokes aobut it being skeevy which is immensely weird

even if he were like 17 it would be creepy, but what is he? like 22?

It's a shame because I enjoy pretty much every other character

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Space Flower posted:

*leaning back in theater seat with XL popcorn* they're 26 and 16 years old, everyone

oh, wow

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

FauxLeather posted:

Princess Principal was my first and fastest drop in a very long time. Just couldn't stand to finish the first episode. The visuals weren't inspiring me and it struck me as tacky espionage stuff with a cute slice of life flipside. The OP was a fuckin choon, though.
Does it hit its stride later on, or does it continue going exactly like that? Askin' for when i'm feeling more Anime Tolerant.

What was tacky about it? I can see some people not liking the very cutesy artstyle, but I found it to be a remarkably subtle show. Lots of small details that help sell the world and the characters.

I would stick it out for one more episode - the second episode is fantastic and hooked me completely. If you're not interested after that, I think it's fair to say you aren't going to like it.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

DisDisDis posted:

It took 8 episodes but most of an episode of Blend S was pretty good

I liked this one. I enjoy how the jokes center around the new kid's adorably awful self-centeredness rather than "get it - she's a boy!!!"

I am a huge fan of all the dumb moe things going on with the character design. I'm a sucker for catmouth and 'article of clothing that acts like puppy ears'

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Princess Principal, Land of the Lustrous, Konosuba S2

My heart tells me Symphogear, but it didn't stick the landing.

Ed: Mahoujin GuruGuru is hilarious as well and might just top Konosuba if it nails the last couple

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 26, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Mirage posted:

Demi-Chan wa Kataritai was this year too, if anyone needed any more options.

I somehow forgot about that! Man, what a great show. I discovered that show at an extremely appropros time. I was going through a rough patch, adjusting to the fact that I am and will likely remain disabled for the rest of my life.

The show' s handling of those issues (and it's basic cuteness!) were sorely appreciated.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

There Bias Two posted:

Don't worry friend, no matter what they tell you, liking anime your entire life is not a disability.

Seriously though, if you need to talk about those issues, I have experience with it and would be happy to lend an ear.
Thanks dude. I'm doing OK but it's always good to know support is there.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

kayakyakr posted:

Currently watching simulcasts of Ancient Magus Bride and Shokugeki with my girlfriend.

Can someone distill the wisdom of this forum and tell me if there are any other crunchyroll simulcasts worth watching?

Was considering the MMO Junkie one.

The first episode of Blend-S didn't catch us, did the series get better?

Blend S does get better, but not much better. Mahoujin Guru Guru is awesome.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Endorph posted:

land of the lustrous is insanely good

land of the lustrous is bad great

Expect My Mom posted:

one day i will get into fate i swear

I just started dipping my toes in. It's actually not too hard to get into.

Futaba Anzu posted:

fate is bad
I'm having a lot of fun with Unlimited Blade Works. It's kind of dumb and plodding at times, but I'm having a lot of fun with the characters and their crazy wizard plot twists.

The basic premise is so much fun that I wish the show would let itself have a little more fun. I know it's capable of it: there's occasional bits of inspired humor. It's just that, for an anime with a plot that most closely resembles The Ultimate Battle of Ultimate Destiny, the whole thing is so self-serious most of the time.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 29, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Wark Say posted:

Oh hey, Netflix, that old chestnut. If the thread for the Kakegurui anime hasn't been archived, you can still find my dumb opinions/impressions as a former employee on the way they handle things wrt simulcasting/original content. The thing about places like Netflix or Amazon is that I think they would absolutely be massive game-changers if they decided to just change things a little bit on different regards (what changes need to be made varies between companies, location and a few other things). How much of that necessary change is their fault and how much is the fault of certain Japanese companies being set in their rear end-backwards ways concerning a bunch of different things is an exercise better left to a different thread, perhaps.

This sort of industry talk and scuttlebutt is fascinating to me! I wouldn't have anything to contribute but I would love to read such a thread.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Anime-Gataris has a fantastic soundtrack. Huh.

(Actually, it's use of the soundtrack is probably the selling point, not the songs themselves. The show has a great sense of timing and rhythm, and uses the soundtrack as part of that.)

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Grouchio posted:

Reminds me of Grimgar serving as a cash cow for one band's work.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Anime-Gataris' OP is insanely catchy.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Expect My Mom posted:

Please. Listen to my story.

It may be our last chance.

:argh: You beat me to it

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Waffleman_ posted:

I think most of the non-fujos moved on.

Wait, Osomatsu is a fujo thing?

What? How? Why?

...who?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Strange Quark posted:

The first episode has them as a bunch of pretty boys who go to BL Academy and two of them nearly kiss at one point. Does it really need to be more obvious.

Apparently, yeah.

Goon doesn't understand women, news @ 11

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Now you're just piling on :ohdear:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

AnoHito posted:

Don't feel too bad, if I hadn't found out from other sources, I would probably not have guessed it was so fujo-dominated either. I mean, it's just a really good comedy show; you'd figure it would have a pretty even distribution of fans.

I was being cute, I know it's in good fun. :) I was legitimately surprised, though!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

jng2058 posted:

Winter Season 2018: How are we supposed to live if we can't argue about gender pronouns of gem people?

Winter Season 2018: 2d bugeye aliens designed as otaku fap bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I am pretty excited for FRANXX

Don't steer me wrong trigger

• Locked thread