Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
IDOLOCALYPSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
We have an idolocalypse thread for the various idol animes, and either that or the existing Sunshine thread for Sunshine in particular.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Knorth posted:

I dunno if I'll end up watching much of Urahara but I really like how it looks, and the characters seem sweet

https://files.catbox.moe/uba9zg.webm

This looks neat as heck. Gonna watch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I didn't find Bahamut s2's second half to be particularly weaker than the first, except for the last few eps, which went all GIANT EPIC FANTASY BATTLE. Not as interesting as swashbuckling hijinks, though they pulled it off better than s1 did. I liked the show a lot.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched Land of the Lustrous, and it was very nice. Very pretty, especially the backgrounds and the shadows of their translucent gem hair. The cg was really solid, aside from the somewhat awkward walking (which may have been intentional?).

Maybe there are good shows this season besides the idol shows???

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The manga's super good. Alternately eerie, cute, mysterious, and touching.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
lady neet mmo show is good

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

I just wanted to post the emote

:crossange:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
it's great, I want more now

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Fangz posted:

MMO Junkie 3 was great. The show is great.

:yeah:

:yeah:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've watching various things and have yet to watch others!

Idol animes:

LL Sunshine s2 is good. I love live.
SideM is pretty good, but very closely following the im@s formula so far. I really enjoyed the Jupiter ep 0, so I've good hopes yet.
WUG s2 had a weak start. The performance of their signature song was somehow less impressive than the cg version of it from a game, and I'm not sold on the new character designs. This season has a lot to prove coming off the mediocre movies. Not optimistic.
Cingeki s2's first ep was great, tying in multiple 4komas into a cohesive whole, but e2 was back to disjointed and lacking jokes like s1.

Non-idol animes:

NEET lady mmo show is really good + cute. I love our dorky lead and our dorky love interest and can't wait to see what happens to them.
Girls' Last Tour is squishy and cute and has great atmosphere. Totally on board.
Blend S is fun enough so far. Working, but a bit more moe. Promising.
Urahara had a decent enough first ep. Seems pretty standard magical girl, except for the really neat aesthetic. Gonna watch more.
Juni Taisen also had a pretty good first ep. Over-the-top with an out-of-nowhere twist at the end. It's less my kind of show, but I'll probably watch more.

Need to watch:
Food Wars - I probably wouldn't be watching this anymore if I were watching it on my own, but the irl friend I watch a few shows a week with loves it.
Kino - I love Kino, and hope I'll love this season too.
Konohana Kitan - :shrug: dunno what it's about but folks have recommended it and it looks cute, so it'll get at least an ep.
Himouto - s1 was fun, s2 probably will be too
BBB - s1 was great until the last ep, s2 hopefully will be too. err, except for that last ep bit
Magus's Bride - manga's good, the one ep of the OVA I've watched was good, the show will probably be good.

Need to watch after I catch up on previous seasons/movies:
Yuyuyu
Osomatsu
Sangatsu

gently caress that's a lot of anime

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Is the whale show good? It looks like it might be

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will watch the first episode, after fixing myself a drink

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
First ep of Children of the Whales was good. Appealing chara designs and interesting world. Heck, I'll watch the second right now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Whales e2 was pretty good, with a :wth: shocking twist :wth: at the end.

dogsicle posted:

it's been okay so far, i think 3 and 4 will be the real test as to its quality, since they're potentially kicking the story into a more generic path.

I kinda agree with this. It'll at least be pretty, though, so I'll keep watching.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
You'd like Zakuro a lot, I think, Lemon.

I particularly love the song they sing when they unleash their fancy powers, and also the stoic side character guy that's also kind and makes the cute girl's heart go doki doki

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxadzNSXKhs

and this guy
X

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

yeah but in some kind of hosed up order

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
the half of ep 3 of Blend S that was about the douj was hilarious

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Children of the Whales ep3 leaves me uncertain about the show. The menacing emotionless killers standing around letting people run in front of them to hug and cry, and in general showing lots of emotion was pretty dumb. Maybe if the show actually addresses how they're not actually emotionless it'll work out well enough, but having the attackers stand stock still for a couple minutes so children could run past them and cry and our friends could wonder wtf was happening, and then suddenly turning and killing a kid lightning fast was just dumb. It's still pretty, but I miss the sense of wonder that the first ep and a half had, and I want it to be less dumb.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lol

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

It's interesting to compare against, for example, Negima!? and Mahou Sensei Negima. While not a drama like FMA and Kino, they covered largely different storylines in very different ways down to having seemingly different and mutually exclusive mechanics for the magic systems. Shaft (presumably Xebec wasn't involved in the conversation at that point) did a brilliant job of not making the story feel either rushed or excessively-familiar, even for someone who watched both series back to back. And despite ignoring a couple of seemingly-major plot beats from the early series (largely revolving around Asuna) you still got a feel for the characters, their personalities and their respective places in the world.

I keep meaning to get around to reading the manga to see how both plotlines actually intertwine, but have not as yet.

wait there's someone who's watched both adaptations of Negima but hasn't read the manga :psyduck:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
they had the first ep finished months ago, they screened it at AX

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I haven't yet watched new Umaru entirely because it's not on crunchy. I'd forgotten it existed 'til just now.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
excited about more Card Captor Sakura, Darling in the Franxx is Trigger and will probably be fun, maybe the Fate/EXTRA anime will be good, Hakumei to Mikochi is a cute as gently caress manga and the trailers make the anime look the same, the Mitsuboshi Colors manga is hilarious, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni is a good & sweet romance manga, a good Ito Junji anime could be great, Pop Team Epic is either gonna be disappointing or legendary, Yuru Camp is totally my jam, Violet Evergarden's first ep was unbelievably pretty

these are my positive thoughts on these shows. good season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Space Flower posted:

i'm like actively mad that all i heard about Citrus for the past year was how horrible and melodramatic it is and it's actually really good and sweet. it's a drama manga but events never spiral out of control; the arcs are all short and controlled and girls who are antagonistic today are friends tomorrow. the main character Yuzu is gung ho about her feelings and comes off as a really likeable protagonist as she tries her best to foster a warm and communicative relationship with Mei, an introverted girl who tries to be emotionally distant but gets pulled in all the time. usually in soapy stuff i see the leads always sabotaging their own relationship with hesitation/inaction but these two actually try their best and show how much they care about each other even in tumultuous moments. i don't think the stepsisters premise is a big hang-up when the main girls didn't grow up together, they meet as strangers. yeah Yuzu is often saying stuff like "I have to be a good older sister!" but it comes off to me as playing on the yuri 'sisters' trope and not an incestual undertone.

it also really didnt help that everyone who does read or like it apologetically calls it trashy or schlock. it's cool to like things, really! i havent caught up fully but I'm liking Citrus a lot so far. it owns hard and i hope the anime does too. i'm posting this here in the hopes that people will check it out and enjoy the cute gyaru lead and her antics.

lowkey a haruyuzu fan by the way. they're seriously the cutest

There's good and cute stuff in it for sure, but it's definitely trashy, and it's definitely melodramatic. Now that you mention is, it is kind of nice that the drama isn't entirely self-inflicted, but it's real lame that (as of where I left off) a new character is introduced every few chapters who's determined to break our couple up and lies/cheats/steals to make it happen. It got boring fast, and is a large part of why I haven't read a new chapter in months. As to trashy... well, you call Mei an introverted girl, but she's also OK with hot makeouts with her "sister." And the "playing on the yuri 'sisters' trope" is itself trashy.

It's hardly the worst offender for melodrama or trashiness, and heck, I flipped open the first volume I had next to my desk to confirm my memory of the makeouts, so I obviously liked it enough to throw down money for it, but I totally get why it has the reputation it does.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
your enthusiasm makes me want to catch up

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
huh, neat

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's a hard language

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
boy nico isn't as powerful as regular nico, but he's pretty good

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I know for a fact that at least one person noticed.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It's a funny number, dav

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

That was a good ep. They were friends, and it was nice, and the manager had minimal opportunity to be weird.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That's. A good story. You should tell it at parties.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Winter Season 2018: I Like Anime

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

Practice your favorite anime picking skills early here.

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/943883071174074368

This really brings home how good this year's anime has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Hell yeah. This is so totally my poo poo.

• Locked thread