Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Elves murdering elves is good and therefore dark elves will be my first playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Ze Pollack posted:

Tyrion is gonna have the problems of the WH1-release Empire start: please enjoy fighting nothing but your own people's tier one infantry for the first 4/5 of the game, then throw a doomstack at the target of opportunity of your choice.

guarantees that anyone playing against the High Elves is gonna have a hard time shutting them down, but playing as that person is going to get real old real fast.

you wanna High Elf, play Teclis, and make war against a delicious assortment of jerks.

I doubt this is the case, since every other major faction and Chaos can toss stacks of varying sizes directly at your poo poo each time you try to complete a ritual.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You might argue that Shogun 2 didn't receive Rome 2's improvements didn't receive Atilla's improvements, but those games weren't designed from the start to play together and be one giant game.

I remember reading that TWW1 was originally not going to mesh with 2, and that many of the FLCs we have today are the result of the game's rampant success emboldening the publisher and permitting CA to go nuts with TWW2. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it was designed to be played as a giant game and the fact that the joint map is coming out after the game is released, rather than being the main feature, suggests to me that they were envisioned as standalones first.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

It was always planned as a trilogy with a giant stitched together map the end goal, at least as early as the initial TWWH1 announcement.

You got a source for that? Asking out of genuine curiosity.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Well then

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

sassassin posted:

But I don't want an explanation of the Pontus meme.

You don't have to have an explanation of the Pontus meme

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Whoa just had an epic siege defence as Dark Elves with a T3 walled minor settlement garrison + mixed stack of Executioners/Black Guard/Darkshards/Witch Elves, a dragon, some Cold One dreadknights, and 1 of each hero, versus four elite stacks of Skaven.

I lost, but not before taking out all of their lords and heroes, like three Abominations, three Doomwheels, and the vast majority of their infantry. 5000+ casualties to my ~1500.

Spells were flying, rats were dying, my assassin soloed like three units of stormvermin and a warlord on the walls, wave after wave of Skaven kept pouring in from the edge of the map. The thing that flipped it for the Skaven was the late arrival of all of their artillery, which just ruined my elite infantry.

Best loss I've ever had. As an added bonus, I thought I had annoyingly lost Hag Graef, but it was only a minor settlement and the remnants were mopped up a turn later. WOO!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Stephen9001 posted:

I did okay with Norsca's Marauder Ice Wolf chariots, but that's probably because they have even better melee stats than Chaos Chariots, in addition to having missiles. Otherwise, yeah, missile chariots are probably worse than non-missile chariots most of the time.

Can't wait for my flying High Elf chariots.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I'm playing Wood Elves in the Mortal Empires campaign, and I've got my Oak up to tier four. At what point does Chaos start rolling in? It has been strangely quiet. I don't really mind, I've just spent the campaign going walkabout with attritionless armies and occasionally helping my Amber allies out, while oogling at the new map. It has been fun.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Playing as Wood Elves in ME with coastal Bretonnian settlements, for a while I had very touch-and-go relations with Tyrion (genocidal god-king of Ulthuan) with him breaking non-aggression pacts basically every other turn and relations meanwhile deteriorating.

I eventually win him over to a military alliance through bribery and things seemed chill. Then Momrathi declares war for no reason; there was a huge power differential and a world ocean between us. Cue Tyrion launching a bloodthirsty war of conquest on Naggaroth and owning everything north of the Fallen Gates and south of Hag Graef within 10 turns of war being declared. Meanwhile I haven't seen a Cult of Pleasure army making it further east than Tor Anlec.

Game owns.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Grom didn't get an official death, yeah. Azhag, as noted, died years before the games depicted setting.

For all we know, that troll flesh he ate made him immortal. And permanently flatulent. An undying, fart-assed goblin.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

turn off the TV posted:

I don't want to build robots.

You don't have to build robots.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

sassassin posted:

What do you expect? The game's not even in full release state until May!

This is bait, do not take it.

Angry skeltals look fun, but any word on how dooty they will be?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Isn't there an all-stalk, all-poison, all-vanguard gobbo gimmick army build out there that is actually viable?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Chaos in WH1 is awesome, but ME...ehhhhhhh

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

CA needs to add Harry the Hammer imo

SLAMBO, THE FIRST EVERCHOSEN

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I didn't like executioners. They have an awesome aesthetic and I could recruit them at almost gold chevrons, but autoresolve HATES them. I tended to lose them after one or two battles, which would otherwise cause minimal damage to the army as a whole. I rolled with a mix of shade types, a couple of black guard, two heroes (take your pick), two reapers, and some monsters of choice (dragons or hydras). If I was feeling frisky, some chariots or cold one dreadknights.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Corsairs with handbows also trade well with norscan infantry and cavalry

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Makes me wonder how the DElf early game will change when the Norsca update eventually lands. More AP and anti-infantry, more monsters, better infantry, better magic but I suppose less spam overall.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I need a mod to make the Screaming Skull catapult sound like the Dark Omen version, right down to the lovely MIDI-quality AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA *boom*

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Stephen9001 posted:

I wonder just how salty the history people will be over this not being about the actual three kingdoms period staring the invention of the wheelbarrow.

UH ACTUALLY,

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

maev posted:

Steel Faith recommends a LL overhaul mod which does the trick.

Which one out of interest? I'm planning a Gelt ME run with the Legitimacy mod (does it even run with ME?) before I snap up TKs. LL mod recommendations are welcome. I usually only play with Rebanner, Gejnor's various race mods, and home province movement bonuses.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Calling it now: mixed VC-TK armies are a dry run for Ogre Kingdoms/merc and Tilean merc armies in later content.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Would a mod like that be feasible at all? Startpos doesn't mean anything to me, but it seems to be the bane of modding, does it impinge on such a mod?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

At the risk of b-b-but the lore, Vlad and Isabela are Sylvania, it would be weird moving them elsewhere

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

prussian advisor posted:

I understand why Settra’s starting position is marked easy but his initial conflicts are against Savage Orcs and I can’t even conceive of an army list better equipped to just effortlessly massacre Tomb King basic skeleton units. It’s basically a race to see if I can stomp enough orcs flat with my cat robot to make them run away before the rest of my army crumbles.

Lore accurate.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Gejnor posted:

Current progress on said mod:

And also

I've also managed to make the Ushabti that spawns at the end of the realm of souls to be non-degradeable and the heals granted for each step last a bit longer to make them feel better!

I really like your mods Gejnor, is this one intended only for Arkhan or will it be similar to your other race mods?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Super, but it seems more restricted in scope compared to say, Green Iz Best

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I like it, has an inevitable legion of the dead feel to it. Probably OP though

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I haven't been able to play TK until today, and the past few pages had me really worried about them being severely underpowered and unfun.

Serious question: how are the people who are struggling actually playing the game?

As Settra I had the orcs wiped out before turn 10, I'm on my way to my third province before turn 30, and I only have skeleton bois, 2 chariots, a necrotect and Wuffles the Sphinx. I've lost 2-3 chariot units, and maybe a few skeleton units, but hardly the wipeouts described in the thread.

Edit: moreover, they're really really fun to play as!

Vlex fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 29, 2018

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Devorum posted:

There's a Gejnor mod that fixes that. It's called "Nehekhara Rises", and I consider it a must have.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Total War: Warhammer 2 - There's a Gejnor mod that fixes that

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Aurubin posted:

All the water sources in Nehekara, mostly the Nile stand in, were poisoned via warpstone because Nagash is a spiteful bastard. Then the half completed ritual to turn everything in the world undead left Nehekara infused with Shyish, the wind of death.

So the water is literally reddish-black ichor that kills the living.

Also a thinly veiled bible reference because they're Egyptians, but my explanation is more long winded.

The river also used to be called Vitae and now it's called the Mortis, which is really the peak of GW lore writing

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

More like some genius engineer built the first one, the Witchhunters got a look at the 8-pointed star blueprints, and summarily burnt him at the stake.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I got 30 turns into a very hard Dwarf ME campaign. The green tide is real, I have seen it.

The killer was the High Elf rogue army rolling down from Mt Gunbad with their gently caress You stack of dragon princes. I quit.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Do the Chaos stacks also still beeline for the player, or actually fight along the way?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

After the fourth restart of VH ME Dwarfs as Grombrindal, I've finally got the swing of things. One run was turbofucked by a god-tier rogue army dogpiling in on top of Greenskins, Bloody Spears, and Wurzag, these factions having together killed off Karak Azul and Barak Varr. The other two runs were down to bad planning on my part leading to irrecoverable positions.

I've got the Barak Varr region, Karaz-a-Karak region, Mount Gunbad, and I'm closing in on Black Crag with 1.5 stacks of silver-chevron infantry. I've clowned Grimgor several times and I'm hoping to eliminate Azhag too before I close in on Black Crag. Pros: that leaves Greenskins backed into the Badlands and me with good surrounding relations with other Dorfs and Border Princes. Cons: I have nowhere 'natural' to expand to once I've finally ground the Greenskins to a fine paste. Perhaps Skarsnik's area, although that leaves me exposed to other bastards that might come a-knocking. VH difficulty really makes people hate you for no other reason than you're neighbours. I can't see myself confederating any other Dorf factions for a long time.

It's only like turn 40 and I've played at least 2 battles per turn, almost all of them nailbiters. Bring on the Chaos Invasion!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

There are also feral Lizardmen, Ogres, and possibly long-lost high elven colonies on islands to the south of the main landmass.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I'm personally quite excited about ToB, but then, I am an archaeologist. Only reason I haven't got it is cashflow issues this month.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

I can't seem to think of a unique building that boosts shades in the campaign. Does anyone know of one?

While looking for one, I found out that there is one for darkshards in salzemund.

wait what? any more things like that? is there a lustrian temple that boosts chaos warhounds? a dwarf hold that provides a bonus to melee attack for jade wizards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Norsca ME start is hard, but I think I've got the hang of it now. Someone mentioned a hellwar against Kislev upthread, and this is definitely the solution to my problems with getting up and running after confederating everyone except Goromadny and Aghol/Mung. I pulled Wulfrik back from his escapades near Reikland and I'm systematically cleaning house in Kislev.

This gives money, favour, makes it harder to lose an isolated army, and gives breathing space back home and for factions like Moulder to expand. What's not to like? Once I've wiped kislev and middenland/ostland Wulrik is going to wreck Cothique's poo poo.