Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

RVT posted:

Did they fix Norsca/Dwarf AI dominance in ME or do I need to grab a couple mods? I'm wrapping up my Vortex campaign and I'm about to start ME. I don't want to get 50 turns in and discover the world is all horse archers and dwarves.

Yes to both, at the moment the Varg will Mad Max their way across the northern Empire without Wulfrik or Throgg to kick their rear end, as pre-dlc Norsca can settle anywhere. Meanwhile the Dwarves will confederate super quick and sweep the southern part of the Old World in a bearded tide unless Grimgor gets super lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SteelMentor posted:

Yes to both, at the moment the Varg will Mad Max their way across the northern Empire without Wulfrik or Throgg to kick their rear end, as pre-dlc Norsca can settle anywhere. Meanwhile the Dwarves will confederate super quick and sweep the southern part of the Old World in a bearded tide unless Grimgor gets super lucky.

In most of my playthroughs it turns into a 4-way conflict between Varg and a 3-way alliance of vampires, brets, and the Empire. It's pretty nice actually because I get the option of elevating some of them to become forever allies because noone likes the Varg.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
Legendary dark elves is some insane crazy town bullshit, I can normally deal with the DE you start at war with + the mung dudes but Surthas guys roll up with 7 stacks every time and just bury me in bodies.

Zasze fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 19, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
the Surtha Ek experience.

Really wish they would have tried to push the updated Norsca into warhammer 2 earlier at least if not the rest of the foundation update. Original Norsca is so terrible to play against.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The Hung have taken over the Badlands and the Southlands in my Empire game. Apparently the End Game of AI armies is 10 Chaos Lances and 9 Marauder Horsemen.

Also I exiled Brettonia to Norsca around turn 50. They're still alive and kicking up there. Somehow.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kainser posted:

the Surtha Ek experience.

Really wish they would have tried to push the updated Norsca into warhammer 2 earlier at least if not the rest of the foundation update. Original Norsca is so terrible to play against.

Agreed. At first I liked the whole 'mow down a horde of thousands of vikings by filling them with arrows' thing, but it's really annoying dealing with that every single turn. And the AR thinks they have a 100% chance to win.

90% of my fights have been against Norsca. This ain't right.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

jokes posted:

Agreed. At first I liked the whole 'mow down a horde of thousands of vikings by filling them with arrows' thing, but it's really annoying dealing with that every single turn. And the AR thinks they have a 100% chance to win.

90% of my fights have been against Norsca. This ain't right.

This is the reason I’m waiting on starting a naggarond vortex campaign

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I had to end the orc incursions early as louen because there were two full horse stacks at marienburg. Now I’m still defending marienburg from 3+ stacks 30 turns later. It doesn’t even loving phase then to lose them all.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Multiplayer needs a tiebreaker if you go to the time limit. I just spent 15 minutes brilliantly skirmishing, killed the enemy general without losing my own, inflicted more losses, etc. but the decisive engagement was so late in the match that his army didn’t break! Come on give me something here!! :argh:

lol you deserve to tie for not fighting.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a secret to using Missile Chariots, or are they all just bad (barring the Lizard stuff like the Ancient Stegadon)? I've tried several over time and basically I just end up using them as regular chariots and the ability for them to occasionally fire as they're charging around never seems to make up for just going with a regular chariot. The only time I've had a lot of success with them is when I'm down to the wire and can kite something.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

nessin posted:

Is there a secret to using Missile Chariots, or are they all just bad (barring the Lizard stuff like the Ancient Stegadon)? I've tried several over time and basically I just end up using them as regular chariots and the ability for them to occasionally fire as they're charging around never seems to make up for just going with a regular chariot. The only time I've had a lot of success with them is when I'm down to the wire and can kite something.

I did okay with Norsca's Marauder Ice Wolf chariots, but that's probably because they have even better melee stats than Chaos Chariots, in addition to having missiles. Otherwise, yeah, missile chariots are probably worse than non-missile chariots most of the time.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
That is what missile chariots are. Chariots with bows. Use them as chariots and chase down enemies with them. Oh yah, they shoot as they run them down.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
There's a typo in the first line of radious's part 1 and 2 description. nice

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Stephen9001 posted:

I did okay with Norsca's Marauder Ice Wolf chariots, but that's probably because they have even better melee stats than Chaos Chariots, in addition to having missiles. Otherwise, yeah, missile chariots are probably worse than non-missile chariots most of the time.

Can't wait for my flying High Elf chariots.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
Just got TW2 + mortal Empires. I want to try out some of the new world factions, having played the old world 3 times. My preferred playstyle is building a kickass economy then crushing with really elite units on the campaign map. In battle, I like strong foot archers and heavy infantry, but ive never been interested in skirmishers or archer cavalry. Dark elves and high elves seem like natural campaigns for me. Would one be a better fit?

Also, having not played the TW2 original campaign yet, which would be better: Mortal Empires or the original campaign?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The vortex campaign is way way better because it's not a shonky beta.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah play the Vortex campaign. Mortal Empires will probably be fantastic down the line but it's a mixed bag currently.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alternatively you can pick up a couple of mods to alleviate some of ME's problems if you want to go traipsing in the Old World, but if you're deadset on trying a New World faction with your parameters, Vortex is your best option since you won't really lose anything apart from ground you've already covered.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

not joseph stalin posted:

Just got TW2 + mortal Empires. I want to try out some of the new world factions, having played the old world 3 times. My preferred playstyle is building a kickass economy then crushing with really elite units on the campaign map. In battle, I like strong foot archers and heavy infantry, but ive never been interested in skirmishers or archer cavalry. Dark elves and high elves seem like natural campaigns for me. Would one be a better fit?

Also, having not played the TW2 original campaign yet, which would be better: Mortal Empires or the original campaign?

Tyrion seems like he'd be a good fit. Take over Ulthuan and bankroll your empire to crush everyone else. High elves have great infantry, both basic and elite, although a little bit squishy. Their basic archers are excellent through the entire game, and their top tier infantry rule. They also get cool dragons.

Dark elves are like a more aggressive mirror of high elves. Their crossbows are awesome and shred armor, but are low range. Their troops generally are less defensive than high elves but can dish out the damage better, relying less on their ranged support. They still have great infantry, and shades are maybe my favorite unit in the game, but I'd recommend Tyrion as a first campaign.

also definitely start with the vortex campaign to get comfortable with the faction and their mechanics, because ME doesn't gently caress around

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I'm playing Wood Elves in the Mortal Empires campaign, and I've got my Oak up to tier four. At what point does Chaos start rolling in? It has been strangely quiet. I don't really mind, I've just spent the campaign going walkabout with attritionless armies and occasionally helping my Amber allies out, while oogling at the new map. It has been fun.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I honestly think the vortex campaign is straight up better than mortal empires if you are playing as one of the new races even if they fix the more obvious issues with it. All the old races are represented on the map so you can still fight them and the new world doesn't feel horribly cramped like it is in mortal empires. I personally don't think the opportunity to sail over to the old world adds that much to the game.

Probably a bit of a personal taste thing though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone know how to get rid of the cruddy brown filter over all the battles in this game? I'm guessing messing around with enb is my only hope, although I'm trying to avoid it

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Vlex posted:

I'm playing Wood Elves in the Mortal Empires campaign, and I've got my Oak up to tier four. At what point does Chaos start rolling in? It has been strangely quiet. I don't really mind, I've just spent the campaign going walkabout with attritionless armies and occasionally helping my Amber allies out, while oogling at the new map. It has been fun.

I've run into this as well. Around turn 100ish, no chaos invasion at all and the first wave usually comes by then. The trigger is supposed to be the size of the players empire. With Wood Elves, I only actually control the forest. I've just razed my allies enemies to the ground and allowed my allies to expand their borders and done wonderfully. I wonder if that approach somehow fucks up the invasion triggers?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I've run into this as well. Around turn 100ish, no chaos invasion at all and the first wave usually comes by then. The trigger is supposed to be the size of the players empire. With Wood Elves, I only actually control the forest. I've just razed my allies enemies to the ground and allowed my allies to expand their borders and done wonderfully. I wonder if that approach somehow fucks up the invasion triggers?

The first wave triggers at 25 regions now, though I'm pretty sure allies don't give you hidden Imperium points like in RTW2 so you may have to backstab some fuckers or vassalize someone and let them expand to rack up the score.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Game teases me with "Free DLC" that is only accessible if I buy the previous full price game? :thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jeza posted:

Game teases me with "Free DLC" that is only accessible if I buy the previous full price game? :thunk:

Yes. The game allows you to access all the stuff from the previous full price game you purchased so you don't have to buy it twice.

You may have to buy it once.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
jesus gently caress unless I'm missing something doing mass localisation in PFM is distilled misery.

e: wellp it's identical to the other stuff I did but for an exciting change the rest of them just don't work

Gitro fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 20, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Jeza posted:

here you go op

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Tyrion seems like he'd be a good fit. Take over Ulthuan and bankroll your empire to crush everyone else. High elves have great infantry, both basic and elite, although a little bit squishy. Their basic archers are excellent through the entire game, and their top tier infantry rule. They also get cool dragons.

Dark elves are like a more aggressive mirror of high elves. Their crossbows are awesome and shred armor, but are low range. Their troops generally are less defensive than high elves but can dish out the damage better, relying less on their ranged support. They still have great infantry, and shades are maybe my favorite unit in the game, but I'd recommend Tyrion as a first campaign.

also definitely start with the vortex campaign to get comfortable with the faction and their mechanics, because ME doesn't gently caress around

Dark Elves also have the really cool ability of getting a huge buff after you kill enough enemies that's a huge "win more" type of thing and also will pull your rear end out of a close scrape. Shades are also my favorite unit. Nothing like shredding a bunch of units with crossbows until they get close enough to go in with the greatswords.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The worst part about ME is realizing it’s gonna take at least 300 turns to beat it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

norsca when

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone tried a Beastmen ME campaign? I only played them once in Warhammer 1 and that was when they were first released so I barely remember it. I seem to be always on the cusp of bankruptcy and unable to grow as it's rare I can find a province that gives more than 200-300 income at the high end, and most of those are major players with armies that I may be able to beat but force me to spend several turns replenishing or running away to move to another area so I can get back to raiding. Add that to the fact that minor settlements are fewer to get easier looting it's been nearly impossible to grow once I hit about a full stack plus a few extra units in my second herd. I'm assuming I just need to find a way to get enough rage to spawn another army to go rampaging with, but doing that while still maintaining the ability to fight once I get it is difficult.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

Anyone tried a Beastmen ME campaign? I only played them once in Warhammer 1 and that was when they were first released so I barely remember it. I seem to be always on the cusp of bankruptcy and unable to grow as it's rare I can find a province that gives more than 200-300 income at the high end, and most of those are major players with armies that I may be able to beat but force me to spend several turns replenishing or running away to move to another area so I can get back to raiding. Add that to the fact that minor settlements are fewer to get easier looting it's been nearly impossible to grow once I hit about a full stack plus a few extra units in my second herd. I'm assuming I just need to find a way to get enough rage to spawn another army to go rampaging with, but doing that while still maintaining the ability to fight once I get it is difficult.

Raiding is not your income source as Beastmen. Your income is sacking/razing minor unwalled settlements and later run away with your stealthy ambush stance before any big hostile armies can intercept yours.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Yeah you should be a bunch of assholes cruising around the map, choosing juicy sack & raze targets until you get a +replenish moon event and then you go hog wild autoresolving sieges.

Localisation for abilities is weird as gently caress. I have no idea why some UI elements are showing and some aren't despite all the relevant strings matching. I know I need some arbitrary combination of words to make it work, but which ones? Good times.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Really surprised that we haven't heard anything about any DLC for warhammer 2 yet. Please give me Tomb Kings and/or an Alarielle/Hellebron lord pack soon CA!

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Personally i prefer ME over the vortex campaign. I had fun trying out the new armies but enjoy the scale of ME a lot more.

I think the current advice is to wait for the foundation patch to play Chaos/Beastmen. Something like awakening the norsca is meant to be improved greatly in the patch? Whatever it was it sounded like a big improvement. Really looking forward to this patch so I can finally try Chaos, Norsca and Beastmen

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Autoresolve really hates Skaven huh? I'm consistently getting comfortable victories against 20-80, even 10-90 autoresolve odds. Which is fine because I really like battles as Skaven, especially grinding encircled enemy blobs to dust with warp cannons (getting 400+ kills each)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Double Bill posted:

Autoresolve really hates Skaven huh? I'm consistently getting comfortable victories against 20-80, even 10-90 autoresolve odds. Which is fine because I really like battles as Skaven, especially grinding encircled enemy blobs to dust with warp cannons (getting 400+ kills each)

Yeah, it's mostly fine when you're playing as them since it means you get to fight more battles, but it's hell on the AI. There's barely any Skaven presence in the Old World already; auto-resolve being borked for them means you barely get to encounter the ratty bastards in not-Europe before they get their poo poo kicked in most of the time.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

I would say keep the Stormvermin because if you are lucky and Kroq-qar is on his first mount then they can tear him to shreds. Other then that you need as much artillery as possible. Also try to grab the resource cite as soon as possible and draw him into attacking it as if you have it all set up then you should have enough forces to break his initial army. Once they are dead you need to devote all your energy into pushing north until you can wipe him out entirely.

Yeah, I ended up beating the campaign, and basically ended up using unit compositions that were pretty heavy on artillery the whole time. I'm pretty sure doomwheels are the most satisfying unit in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is Norca in yet?