Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammanas posted:

I wouldn't worry about it, a mod that disabled the ritual system will made quickly.

I imagine it's pretty much as easy as setting ritual costs to 10000000000000 mcguffins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ammanas posted:

The entire old world will need buffing or Skaven need deep nerfing. They would style over freaking everyone.

What if we took the already incredibly powerful Vampire Counts and gave them even more freespawn units, the ability to raise dead anywhere on the map instantly for no winds cost, and also gave them the best artillery in the entire game without exception?

This is generally true across the new factions compared to the old ones, to be honest. Comparing the new caster LLs to the old ones is like comparing Goku to a mall cop.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Randarkman posted:

They've already buffed up and reworked the LL caster lords in game 1, Balthasar Gelt and Kemmler were actually pretty damned good last time I played. The magic changes from WH2 are going to find their way in for the Game 1 races as well in the mega campaign, and, I think, in game 1.

As Balthasar Gelt's Number One Fan, I can safely say that while the final buff pass made him a very good/solid LL, compared to Teclis/Mazda/Skrolk/Morathi he's a ceiling fan versus a hurricane. Gelt provides good passive buffs and support for his army. For the new guys, their armies are support for them while they singlehandedly turn 500 guys into pillars of salt.

Maybe retrofitting the new caster LL rules(starting with several spells) and the new caster skill tree to the old LLs will pull them up to the modern level.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rolling through an effective victory lap in my Tyrion campaign(just broke Malekith's back entirely, have 5 stacks with level 20+ lords and like 12 heroes running around in Naggaroth ready to break Morathi, am trusted friends with literally the entire world except the Skaven and DE) and while I really like the strategic layer as HE since influence is a really fun mechanic, I'm sort of disappointed by their tactical layer. I'm probably not going to finish this campaign all the way out because honestly playing them is quite uninteresting.

There's very little reason to do anything but build millions of seaguard everywhere with a couple of bolt throwers and two or three flyers to snipe siege because the AI simply cannot deal with silver shielded archers that also have spears and 55+ melee def. Every time I experiment with elite infantry it feels like a waste; swordmasters and phoenix guard absolutely truck things in melee, but they have to actually close to melee to deal damage and are absurdly vulnerable to being utterly obliterated by the 500,000,000 rapid fire armor piercing darkshards/shades the DE love to bring to every fight who will immediately focus fire said units because of the AI's threat assessment(incidentally the Dark Elf AI's unit preferences mean bringing anything without shields, long range, or the ability to very rapidly reposition away from focus fire is suicidal for that unit). Cavalry is in a similar boat; ellyrian reavers are okay very early on when you're still reliant on a spearman core, but silver helms don't punch hard enough to outperform sea boys at killing and dragon princes are in direct tier competition with Actual Dragons, who fly and cause terror and have nuclear breath weapons that can delete entire blobs in one go. Eagles and Phoenixes suffer a similar fate; eagles are absolutely horrible at fighting and die instantly to any resistance so are only good for very early siege sniping and the phoenixes are in the same tier as sun/moon dragons which are way better than both for only a little bit more money.

I guess I'm due to try out a lizard campaign because they're the only faction I haven't spent any time on yet.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 6, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

jokes posted:

Dragon Princes are unkillable horse gods and I would rather have them in a fight than a dragon who you kind of have to babysit, even Star Dragons. Nothing like War Hydras, which are the perfect monster. Dragon Princes can get charged by most cavalry in this game and still win the melee fight, they're top tier fuh sho.

It's not like you have anything else besides your dragons to babysit when your stack is a million sea boys and some bolt throwers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I don't really get why they included such a powerful get out of loss free card with the ability to jump into the final battle to 3v1 someone to death and lock them out of winning ever. The Vortex should be a doom clock that you're constantly planning around how to get ahead(and handicap your enemies), not something that you completely ignore for the entire game with no repercussions. If you actually had to worry about keeping up in the race and had to go and smack down your rivals to get ahead the campaign would be really cool.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

so, yeah, in my own experience, the vortex campaign mechanics have resulted in me having to move outside my comfort zone, fight difficult battles, juggle multiple problems, and have fun doing it. So I've actually enjoyed the vortex campaign and its mechanics quite a lot. I do really think they should have just kicked people in the face if they played on anything higher than normal and done a "no you just fuckin lost" thing if they failed to stop the opposing rituals, since that added pressure adds a lot to the whole experience. People would have, of course, complained a lot, and modded it out, because players are baby scum. The complaints about the other Good But Hated TW Mechanic, Realm Divide, at least had some substance due to several parts of it completely blindsiding the player, but the ritual stuff is telegraphed in an inordinately incessant manner, so the easy out ends up being a disservice. Even the most complained about thing, the spawning armies during your own ritual, is something that is only triggered by you, is telegraphed far in advance, and is something that is entirely within your power to prepare for. You can lose settlements despite preparation, but that just means you need to plan for that, as well. Losing is fun, and memorable.

I really like the idea of the last battle being an emergency out to not lose everything if you've hosed up or fallen behind and I don't think it should be removed at all, but I'd like it to be tweaked to be substantially harder instead of essentially a cakewalk. It should only knock the loser out of the vortex race for a certain amount of time(10-15 turns before they can restart, maybe?) so it acts like a brief reprieve from loss to give you time to get your rear end in gear to complete your own/harass theirs, and make it so every time the same faction retries the final battle they get increasing, stacking bonuses in it to keep the pressure mounting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Vargs posted:

That guy isn't working on SFO anymore, fwiw. Some other dudes have taken over.

Are you sure about this? Their patreon page still mentions Steel Faith, the nazi dude.

I hope it's true, mind.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Well, that's excellent news.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JBP posted:

Same. It took me a solid abandoned game with each faction to finish my lizards. Now I'm on Skaven. I want to do High Elves next but I really want to shoot for combined arms because poo poo tons of sea guard just isn't loads of fun on the tactical map.

Play Teclis if you want to do this, because playing as Tyrion means you'll likely fight a million dark elves, and your average AI Dark Elf army composition consisting of Every Repeater Crossbow In Naggaroth will quickly break down your resolve to not deploy sea boys with their silver shields.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gonkish posted:

So Morathi's start is kind of dumb. You can't get any trade agreements because the game doesn't understand how fords work and thus doesn't think anyone has a direct trade route to your capital. So trading is just not a thing that occurs initially, if at all.

On top of that, her options for initial expansion are limited, unless you want to go sailing to Tiranoc on turn 10. Of course, if you do that then you'll be exposed to the inevitable, inexorable, endless Hexoatl Lizardmen hell parade that marches north solely and specifically to gently caress you up.

Meanwhile Quintex is 8 slots, not 10, so you have to be especially picky about what you build and where. (Except it's really 7 because you absolutely want and need the unique building so your territory isn't constantly making GBS threads rebellions.) Oh and the province has multiple trade goods buildings... which are useless to you because you can't loving trade with anyone at all.

It's just a miserable start. I know now why that guy in the pre-release dark elves coop had so many issues with Morathi: it's a confluence of terrible all rolled into one start.

Just kill the gently caress out of your dark elf neighbors to the east. You can't trade with them anyway and their four slot province is hugely important as a central base to either expand north or launch off to Ulthuan.

Her initial trade good buildings are actually quite nice because they provide significant bonuses to unit recruitment in that region early on, even if the actual trading is useless. I agree that they need to loving fix it, though, because the inability to trade if there's a little river in the way is the most CA thing possible.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Bramble posted:

"Assassinate" will wound an enemy hero unless it is a critical success, in which case they are killed.

You can't directly damage a Lord commanding an army, which is too bad. I think a way for agents to apply leadership penalties to an entire enemy army, as nearly every other TW game has allowed you to do, is sorely lacking. Having an assassin hero try to take out an enemy Lord during an actual battle, as anyone who has tried it will tell you, isn't really a viable plan.

Khainite Assassins have incredible combat ability and are more than capable of dunking on the vast majority of foot or horse lords with little effort on Very Hard battle stats due to having something like 75 melee attack out of the box and the ability to get poisoned attacks. Their little hand crossbow does a billion damage and is move and fire and continuously re-applies poison if the enemy tries to disengage, too. In 50 turns of a Morathi campaign I played back when I'm pretty sure her starting assassin killed every single enemy lord I ever fought.

They probably won't do well against monster mount lords but by that point you should have other options.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I think the worst thing about them is they require their own building with the silver helms being the top unit. You can really easily skip over them. You could use the building slot for a more advanced unit. I feel its the same for the white lions/eagles also.

I think all the baseline High Elf Militia type dudes(spearmen, archers, seaguard, silver helms) should be part of the basic barracks line and white lions/eagles/ellyrian reavers should have their own two step "ulthuan auxiliaries" building line.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kainser posted:

Feels like the increased upkeep on Very Hard/Legendary makes a dedicated explorer unviable. Maybe early on when one additional lord doesn't raise upkeep that much.

e; hope they nerf naval treasures either way, it's really weird how much more valuable they are than exploring ruins.

Exploring ruins is mostly a garbage trap and it's really loving stupid and lame. It takes a full turn to do and requires you to save scum to not potentially get dicked over by the event randomly killing your lord or something if you pick the wrong option while sea treasures are always 100% positive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dravs posted:

the whole point of warpfire throwers is to charge some slave units into anything at all and just light that poo poo up like the 4th July.

The most important factor is nothing walks away from it alive, nothing.

The warpfire thrower team AI is extremely reluctant to actually open fire on the backs of your own slaves even when ordered to do so due to their flat firing trajectory, which makes them kind of poo poo. Poison/Death Globadiers do the same job a whole lot better because they have an arc on their tosses so they'll gleefully lob globes over(and onto) the heads of your slaves and cause massive ridiculous casualties to everyone involved.

On another Skaven-related topic, I'm having serious trouble thinking of any time where I'd want to use clanrats as Skrolk. Slaves are 1/6 the upkeep of shielded clanrats which means I can massively stack the backfield with artillery/death globes and the army is still cheap as dirt, and if I need some punchier infantry(for taking walls and breaches) plague monks do the job amazingly well for only a bit more than clanrats even without Skrolk's army bonus.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Well with Skolk you got the 50% discount so of course you want to use the discounted units more.

But a argument against going full slave is that expendable units cause morale penalties to other expendables so if you load up the entire army with them they will route faster.

Skrolk only discounts plague monks in his own stack.

I don't actually tend to mind when slaves rout. They rally super fast so as long as they don't all rout at the same time they kind of continually stream back in.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

This 4 Plagueclaw Catapult/4 Warp Lightning Cannon grand battery is good. It is too good as a matter of fact, because the last engagement I had with it resulted in the enemy army bugging out completely by constantly attempting to reform lines in the middle of its desperate advance towards my army. They did not succeed at either.

Guess I might as well drop 2 Catapults for some Skavenslaves. It's very handy that they can be recruited through access to a provincial capital. It's not like I'm counting on them to survive the battle; just the initial charge so the warcrimers can do their job.

I ran a Grey Seer(Ruin), 5 plagueclaws, and 14 units of skavenslaves into a mixed high elf stack including some swordmasters and had the plagueclaws and the seer pull out like 400 kills each while the slaves all died in droves until the elves shattered. This is on very hard, too. :allears:

Skaven artillery batteries are incredibly real.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

My reinforcing army consisted of nothing but a low level warlord and slaves, who all entered the battle exhausted due to needing to march into position to reinforce and then run across the map due to the reinforcement angle bug being back in TW2. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rookersh posted:

Literally the only faction that isn't an abyssal failure is the Empire.

The Empire spent roughly half of its time as an extant entity engaged in devastating civil wars over Who Gets To Be Emperor This Time which left it so completely hosed that if it weren't for the intervention of the dwarfs(vampire wars, specifically mannfred) and the high elves(teclis showing up to teach them magic and hang around to help them during the great chaos incursion) every human would be loving dead. The actual intelligent, good decision making of the Empire mostly occurs under Karl Franz, who is an unusually competent and effective leader and every race has had a few of those.

Ain't nobody in this setting free of making dumb, horribly self-destructive decisions.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 15, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Skaven food mechanic honestly feels poorly thought out. It seems to be intended for you to care about balancing it, but with the way it works that's kind of impossible if you decide to go wide and map paint because of the flat penalty for every settlement under your control. You can mitigate it to some extent by making some nothing armies and raiding constantly but the wider you go the less that works because the % upkeep increase for more lords rapidly renders escalation in number of raiding armies unsustainable.

I pretty much just resigned to having it permanently at the worst possible level and not interacting with it anymore, considering that conquering Lustria will sit you at like -45 per turn just from settlements and I get about 22 food for killing 4000 people in a battle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are you aiming for settlements with the pasture resource? That alone gives you +4 food at the base level, up to +6 at level 3. I never had any problems with food in my entire Queek campaign and ended up covering most of the right side of the map by the end of the game.

There are almost none of those in the entirety of Lustria. There's one in the province to your south at the beginning, Skrolk's starting province has one in effect(special building with +5 food), and IIRC there's one up around Mazdamundi. That's it, all the rest of Southern Lustria is completely pasture free. I've painted everything south of Ssildra Tor.

This is also with taking the food option after every battle and having 5 raid squads working and half my provinces on food production.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

Are you setting up also the province commandments? The -30% tax hit isn't that much of a big of deal cause despite everything Skaven armies aren't that expensive, and most building chains aren't that worth investing outside of key provinces.

You can also consider crossing the sea and go grab the other two food generating provinces in the Southland plus the Wood Elves city also produces food.

Not sure about that. Skroll has a a food unique building in a city right next to it's starting zone and it's a ruin, while Queek has to travel north and deal with either Teclan or Zatlan or take out Krok'gar capital. On the other hand, once you done with Krok and the other Lizardlosers there's nothing else that can threaten Queek, including the Dumb island elves or the dwarves. The Vampires won't bother you either, while with Skroll it's never ending war from all sides after the first 20-30 turns.

I've got 6 provinces on the food commandment(the tax hit does matter when you're trying to field more lords to raid for food), 5 raid squads, and all possible food buildings built(all two of them!). It doesn't keep up at all with the flat penalty from having a ton of territory, especially since the food commandment doesn't even make a 3 settlement province food neutral.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Flavahbeast posted:

I was permanently at minimum food in my Queek campaign towards the end, I held most of the southeast continent and had half a dozen privinces on the southwest continent so I think I just got too big for it to ever be manageable. it never really caused any issues with public order but that was on Hard, I could see it getting annoying on VH or higher

Yeah, even with minimum food I'm not really having any major public order problems but it feels quite silly to have a racial mechanic that I don't bother interacting with at all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You get a really good bell ringing noise when you cast The Dreaded Thirteenth, as well.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LordAbaddon posted:

Its clear that fantasy is exhausted, we must now turn to the realm of Science Fiction

Dune: Total War

You joke, but I would play the gently caress out of this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JBP posted:

Yeah I would envision it working like epic 40k. Just scale up so big that unit formations aren't super important and make the battles more macro.

I feel like this would be a boring spectacle because the only units that would be visually interesting at a macro scale would be stuff like superheavy tanks and titans.

The current TW engine is built around the idea of block regiments and relatively tightly grouped skirmishers forming concrete battle lines in relatively open areas and smacking into each other, which I don't think works for any combat style more advanced than Napoleon. I'm not saying CA couldn't pull off something else but it would look very different than the current way we play Total War on the tactical layer.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I ran a whole bunch of campaign tweak mods like passive agents, T4 minors, etc in WH1 and I don't run any in WH2 and WH2 feels really good and smooth. Actually one of my favorite things about WH2 is the changes to the agent system; removing the awkward deployment bullshit and removing the ability for agents to affect lords, coupled with the fact that the AI seems to produce a lot less agents in WH2, removed basically all of my complaints with how they were in WH1. Building trees in general are a lot better and make more sense and there are very few dumb finnicky conditional buildings(and those are mostly T4s attached to T3 barracks buildings) that make settlement planning bad, so I don't feel like I need T4 minors either.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Kestral posted:

Death Hags - when? Why?

I threw a level 12 Hag with almost pure combat skills into the fray of a scrub Chaos Rebellion force, against some Chaos Spawn and their level 1 lord plus the battered remnants of a unit of marauders. She got shredded and barely inflicted any casualties before outright dying, at which point I can only imagine her soul was obliterated by Khaine for her shameful display. How are you supposed to use these things? And is it worth throwing the Cauldron of Blood on them?

Chaos Spawn do extremely high weapon damage per hit(110!, with a whopping 40 AP) and Death Hags are squishy as gently caress, so this isn't really surprising. Chaos Spawn can actually kick the poo poo out of most combat heroes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Martout posted:

In 3 hours, a new race for Karak Eight-Peaks begins!

All of the things will be Queeks!

I'm hoping AI Queek stands up well in the Badlands. Simply adding a strong Skaven presence will make that area infinitely more fun to fight over instead of Dwarf vs. Greenskin: Eternal Thunderdome.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Teclis's ME start sucks even more than his old one. The Vampire Coast provinces which are your initial expansion route are all vampire corrupted out the rear end so it's impossible to hold them without a million rebellions, which wouldn't ordinarily be a problem except your natural expansion route requires you to declare war on Clan Eshin as well, so they will be sending constant harassment stacks your way while you try to finish pacifying the vampires and dealing with the 4-5 rebellions you'll have before that's over. That's assuming Skrolk doesn't join in on the dogpile too. It's trivially easy to beat up the Vampire Coast with high elves and early skaven stacks are also a joke, but your stack can only be in so many places at once.

I'm just going to say gently caress it and sail to Ulthuan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Afriscipio posted:

Is anyone still getting the "my units forget they were attacking" bug?

It looks like it still exists but it's nowhere near as bad as it was, at least.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Whoa, they seriously buffed up the AI for enemy Skaven. Now they'll Menace Below your ranged units relentlessly and will even use Warp Bomb charges if you're attacking their territory, which was a rude surprise.

It's pretty nice that they're actually a bit threatening now instead of basically an armies of fast, cowardly zombies who would use Menace Below in random places.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gonkish posted:

Oh, another "fun" thing about these lovely Chaos stacks the tunnelvision on you: they KEEP loving SPAWNING until the final Chaos event is done. Meaning every few turns you get MORE of their bullshit charging directly at you, without interacting with any other parts of the game whatsoever, as a gigantic "gently caress YOU FOR EXISTING" thing.

Good luck trying to get stacks to hunt down that one Chaos Warherd stack that's invisible in Norsca that none of the AI will loving kill when you're dealing with loving EIGHTEEN DOOMSTACKS every 10 turns or whatever it is. It's loving stupid. Holy poo poo.

The issue is that they literally do not interact in any way with the rest of the world. AT ALL. No one touches them, they don't look at anyone other than you, they march through everyone's territory with absolute impunity to come attack you, and they KEEP loving SPAWNING until the AI gets its poo poo together and ends the final Chaos event. Holy loving poo poo this is stupid and TEDIOUS AS gently caress.

Yyyyyyep!

Thankfully, there's a mod to delay the Chaos Invasion until turn 998 or something so the campaign is still playable until they fix this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RedApe98 posted:

Two other problems that occurred were Fireball spell being difficult to cast, Teclis kept having to run forward until he was about 5 feet away from the enemy for it to go off, that could just be wonky angles or something though not sure if it is a bug. And has anyone been able to completely wipe out vampiric corruption from the vampire coast? I am at like turn 66, vamps have been gone for like 40+ full turns, have a mage with the + Untainted skill, the province commandment with +2 Untainted and even the Rite of Isha intermittently but once it got to 22% it stopped declining anymore.

Corruption in a province works like a sliding scale rather than a zero sum thing. Since the local populace of vampire provinces is always a minimum +3 vampiric corruption, this means that there will always be SOME corruption in the province. If you have +6 untainted and +3 vampiric, it will stabilize at 66% untainted/33% vampiric. If you have +12 untainted and +3 vampiric, it will stabilize at 80% untainted/20% vampiric. It is completely impossible to permanently eradicate vampiric corruption from provinces that start vampiric, even if you have +10,000,000 untainted; there will still be a decimal amount of vampiric corruption due to that permanent +3.

Teclis's ME start sucks horribly out of the gate and is a public order nightmare, even if the tactical layer battles are among the easiest.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mazdamundi is such a charmer. :allears:

I saw Tyrion balling out of control and basically devouring the entirety of Ulthuan so I devoted most of my early diplomatic efforts into being his Bestest Friend Ever while I consolidated my first few provinces for the first 40 turns or so. Unfortunately, Morathi was unamused by my desire to be friends with Stab Elf, so I got sucked into a war of extermination with her that lasted another 20 turns. Thankfully, Tyrion passively watching me run over Morathi with dinosaurs made him love me to death, so mission accomplished. I've just finished squashing Morathi permanently(loving thank god, corruption attrition can eat ten dicks), so now it's time to move on to conquering southern Lustria.

Angry Lobster posted:

Is the chaos invasion in Mortal Empires as hardcore as people say? I'm on turn 60 with High Elves in my first campaign and it worries me a little. What mod are you using to fix it?

Each Chaos faction that spawns(there will be 2-4) will spawn a full doomstack for every major city you own and they will beeline you across the entire planet, ignoring every single other obstacle completely. They also start at war with you rather than declaring, meaning that your allies don't get sucked in(and the raw power of the chaos factions means asking your allies to join in will probably result in a "yeah no, thanks"). If/when you managed to fend this garbage off, when the Doom Tide event triggers the same poo poo will happen all over again, except the stacks will continually respawn(and continue to beeline you) until you go hunt down Archaon/Kholek/Sigvald/Sarthorael and the Warherd of Chaos and kill all of them quickly enough that none of them can respawn at the head of another horde. It's pretty much full on garbage. Even if you can withstand the endless tide of Chaos indefinitely, you will be fighting Chaos doomstacks and nothing else until the end of time or until you can somehow devote enough force to find out where the Four Stooges are hiding(and god help you if the Warherd of Chaos decides to just sit in hidden encampment somewhere in the Chaos Wastes).

After seeing this poo poo happen I installed http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181951362 and haven't looked back.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZearothK posted:

Just saying I really appreciate this effortpost and the basis on actual published material. I personally think we won't see a fully realized Kislev until game 3, but you're probably pretty close to the mark in terms of content we'll get.

For what it's worth, I noticed that in ME the Kislevite diplomacy guy actually has a Russian accent and custom lines instead of being Generic Empire Guy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

This has been the case since the release of TWW1, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I would love a fleshed-out Kislev though. The dual-culture thing seems like a good angle for it.

I'm 99.999% sure that at TWW1 launch Kislev used the Generic Empire Guy voice. I know the current lines definitely struck me as new because I'm positive I'd have remembered that stone cold "Kislev".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It really struck me how much better the TWW2 campaign building trees were designed than the first game when I hopped around trying out starts in ME. Almost all of the old races are saddled with loving garbage high tier unit production building nonsense where to earn the honor of recruiting something more interesting than basic T1 infantry/shooters you need like tier 4 buildings that are dependent on other tier 4 buildings, which means you play huge swathes of the campaign with only boring basic units without actually being able to use cool stuff. God help you if you're a faction that needs to slingshot to T4 buildings to actually get heroes on the board, because a lot of the old hero production buildings are tied to no unit types.

Meanwhile all of the new factions have good variety packed into the first 3 tiers and only the gangbusters endgame stuff like super monsters and poo poo is packed into the end of the tech tree which means you actually get some unit variety outside of your Turn 90 Fully Developed Home Province. Vampire Counts got a pretty substantial building tree rework that makes basically everything except for the Black Coach/Terrorgheists/Blood Knights available at T3 or below, which means that they can actually construct cool armies at a reasonable point instead of rolling the Raise Dead Roulette. They also get half of their heroes at T3 with no dependencies and the other two at T4 with no dependencies and all of them are tied to unit production or economic buildings you're going to build anyway instead of tucked off in their own special snowflake building. The old races would benefit hugely from getting this kind of rework across the board because it's way more interesting than yet another Dwarf Warrior + Quarreler + Grudge Thrower stack.

TWW is packed with so many cool and interesting unit types but you can never use most of them until you're steamrolling.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

sassassin posted:

I don't think anything needs changing on that side. One expensive upkeep unit is barely noticeable but 10 would be crippling in the early game. Training cost, training time and upkeep are effective checks on army composition, becoming less restrictive once you've got your economy ticking and a Loremaster with Bladelord in your stack.

The campaign map exists to create fun cool battles. Having to work hard and jump through hoops to get variety into your armies doesn't serve that end.

No normal units should require higher than a tier 3 building. The fanciest dragons and tanks can be tier 4. Maybe.

This is honestly what I'd like to see. Economic concerns would generally prevent you from loading up on early game elite units, but simply being able to mix in some stuff like an early organ gun or some reiksguard or some black orcs early on to be your army's centerpiece while the rest of it is more economical filler would be a lot more fun.

Most of the time in my campaigns I just run around with super efficient tier 1 and tier 2 stacks until my economy is so strong that I can do whatever, but that usually takes 60-80 turns depending on start and gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gonkish posted:

At this point I assume the dwarves have taken over the entire eastern half of the map if I'm not there to continually kick them in the teeth. Autoresolve favors them so heavily that they're basically guaranteed to roll over the map. The fact that both the Greenskins and the Skaven get screwed by autoresolve (in general, but especially against dwarves) only makes this more evident.

I have watched Grimgor doomstacks get wrecked by a minor settlement garrison. Repeatedly. The game is basically designed to hand the dwarven AI the map.

The autoresolve AI assumes that every ranged unit in both armies fires every single shot of ammo with some weighting on who "shoots first" based on relative range before mashing the two armies' melee units into each other, so that's probably why the Dwarfs win autoresolve effortlessly most of the time.