Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

:frogout:, stupid rats. Slingers and throwing stars are immensely annoying when all your units are already busy stemming the blob.

Also, Skins cohorts with javelins are loving trash, they have way too little ammo to actually achieve much; blowpipe Skinks or chameleons are working way better for me.

Also, Mazdamundi is funny as hell early on when you combine his cheap buffs and hexes with how tough Saurus are in the early game. Wanna gang up on one of my units? Sure. Nnow it's regenerating, causing fear, gets more melee attack and defense and half your army got Curse of the Midnight Wind dropped on it. Wanna run? Nope, you're staying right where you are.

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'm having a laugh dealing with some of the Norse factions right now. One of them up north turned into the last inheritors of Surtha Ek's legacy. Won't last once the Norsca DLC hits, but drat is it fun to see some nostalgic sights until then. :allears:

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is a really helpful post. What are your feelings on Kroxigor and Temple Guards? It's the only remaining question I have after suvh a comprehensive post.

Temple Guards are the classic elite halberd infantry. They'll stick it out and survive a long time, do solid damage against enemy infantry and wreck monsters and cavalry. They also never rampage, so you can rely on them to hold the line instead of run after routing enemies. Mazdamundi's upkeep reduction and the Fallen Gates landmark plus some other bonuses (Rite of Ferocity, the Beacon of Dawn Landmark and/or the provincial commandment) mean you can later on recruit them at max rank and easily afford to make them the main line in his stack. They won't wreck enemy infantry (especially low-armor chaff) quite as fast as Saurus, let alone blessed Saurus, but their extra beefiness, reliability and ability to deal with any comers more than makes up for it IMO, especially once you get some Kroxigors and/or Stegadons out to gently caress up blobs of infantry with.

Kroxies hit like a freakin' dump truck no matter what you throw them at and have 100 armor and good leadership, but they're pretty slow. They're still really good shocktroops for their cost, and shine in combination with normal infantry because they can bully right through your own line and start smashing into the enemy just like Trolls, Minotaurs etc. I personally really like to use a unit or two of them to beef up Skink-centric rear-area garrison stacks, and frequently use them in my frontline stacks, too.

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 30, 2017

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

LLSix posted:

Any reason to go back and get the previous Warhammer game now that this is out?

The Mortal Empires campaign.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

NewMars posted:

Starting tip for everyone: recruit a second lord immediately and send them out to sea, it's full of amazing loot, up to 10'000 cash from a single site.

This so very hard, unless you're playing Very Hard/Legendary (which both increase the extra upkeep for more armies percentage to a pretty crazy degree); I'm ~70 turns in and my Oldblood sailing around collecting all this stuff as easily made me upwards of 70k gold on top of all the various temporary buffs and magic loot for my lords and heroes gained alongside the cash.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

genericnick posted:

HaHAha. The College of Pyrotechnics is a steamtank division.

College of Pyrotechnics from what I've seen fields a mix of Steam Tanks, Helstorm Rockets and Outriders with grenade launchers. I've seen one variant with six loving Steamtanks and a few of the other ones. I've also seen a variant with 18 loving Helstorm rocket batteries. That opening salvo was pretty loving spectacular. :supaburn:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Third World Reggin posted:

this is bullshit and that will not stand

IIRC, High Elves can build a similar overpowered bullshit building in occupied Naggarond.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm having an issue where I'm losing about 25% of my slaves each turn but the slave manager says I should only be losing 1%.

Does anyone know what is going on?

edit: Looks like it happens when you raid your own province. Wish I noticed that sooner, I'm out at least ten thousands of slaves because of this.

"Oops, I guess I killed about 10k slaves." Peak_Dark_Elves.txt right there. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 5, 2017

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn726f9QEP4

I have no idea what this is. Shadilay?

Short version: Memes.

Slightly longer version: There was an italian disco band named P.E.P.E. in the 80's, and their single Shadilay had a green frog holding a magic wand as the album artwork. As you can guess, 4chan went loving nuts over it when they found out.

Tenzarin posted:

The blessed units have different stats? I made one or two of them but after I saw they don't get the free ranks that the others get I stopped using them. I was making rank 7 saurus pretty quick into my lizardman campaign.

All blessed spawns have some kind of improvement over the regular variant. Some are more powerful than others. Blessed Saurus Warriors are loving crazy, they have perfect vigour and a sizeable increase in armor-piercing damage compared to the normal ones. Blessed Temple Guard IIRC have extra armor and double the charge bonus. Blessed Teradons are stupidly fast.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

You need at least two skill points in a spell to overcast them.

IIRC caster lords need one, caster heroes need two. Also, spells with overcast will have 2/3 points on the skill tree while those without will have 1/2.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I managed to avoid campaign spoilers so far.

Rats did 9/11. Holy poo poo, I did not see that coming. Godspeed, you crazy, crazy rodent. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 8, 2017

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, we have a new meme army build. Let the Mad Max jokes begin. :perfect:

John Charity Spring posted:

Queek's capital isn't 10 slots, it's 8. I don't think the Skaven have a 10-slot region of their own on the map - Khemri is 10 slot for future Tomb Kings but I presume Skavenblight will be the 10-slot Skaven region in the combined map.

Itza, in the middle of Lustria, is also 10-slot despite being currently owned by a minor Lizardmen faction.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Fargin Icehole posted:

I take it that they'll just reintroduce the races in 1 as DLC for 2 and make you pay for it all over again?

...no? You need to own the first game to unlock the Mortal Empire combined campaign, though.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 8, 2017

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

there's no way to use food to upgrade existing settlements, right? Just ones you conquer?

Think so. Though the growth and income bonus from having high food stores helps growing already owned towns faster.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Clanrats are op and need leadership nerfs. By midgame they would fight as long as, say, empire swordsmen. They should be cowardly and easily spooked, not a mainline unit 90 turns in.

The perhaps best way I can come up with is to largely shift the buffs you get from research and lord skills so they do not improve the raw stats of Clanrats, but improve the Strenght in Numbers passive. So your mid-lategame Clanrats will be pretty swole and disciplined. Right up until they hit half health, then they start to fall apart pretty quickly.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

Mazdamundi has too many bound spells and now Ruination of Cities just doesn't appear as an option in battle. Is there any way to fix this? :ohdear:

Replace one or more of your equipment that has bound abilities/spells for something that hasn't.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
And that's a wrap for my Mazdamundi campaign.

Also, geez Maz really doesn't like Skaven:

I mean, yikes, that's pretty loving direct. :stare:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

BadLlama posted:

I for one can't wait to use the Sunmaker on a 3 stack skaven army.

:getin:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gonkish posted:

I feel like this is appropriate.

Given the theories about Grombrindals identity, putting in pictures of Naggarond would be more fitting, though.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Are temple guard the only infantry that use halberds with shields?

Think so. Though Phoenix Guard just get a flat-out 30% resistance against physical instead.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

My number one Mazda priority was to physically remove dark elves from the closest northern area and then obliterate anything that spent manpower on colonisation. No one moved back in after turn 60.

I kept the New world Colonies as allies and let them take over the salted ruins after I wiped that Dark Elf faction off the map. I also actually let them have Skeggi (after I razed it), but rushed to block them from expanding south or west. The end result was they built a workable little empire of their own expanding northwards, and quickly became a great buffer state for me, and really hosed the Dark Elves.

You go on making Maz proud, you little warmblood shits, and he might actually start to genuinely like you. :allears:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Grumio posted:

Is bonus damage like charge bonus, anti infantry etc armour piercing? E.g. plague monks have 10 bonus damage vs infantry, but little or no armour piercing. Curious when the extra damage is applied

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah it's armour-piercing as far as I know.

Charge and anti-infantry/large bonuses to weapons damage are divided into AP and non-AP along the same ratio the units' base weapons damage is.

Grumio posted:

I got a sacred spawning carnosaur with a speed of 90

...and then put a +10 speed banner on it :getin:

Sacred Carnosaurs are the poo poo specifically because of that. drat things eat cavalry alive.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Teclis' start position looks like the one off-shore settlement that's part of the Vampire Coast.

Which means that on one hand, you have to deal with vampiric corruption from local population. On the other hand, it's a pretty insane money-maker province, especially for High Elves, because every settlement in the province has a port.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Victory conditions look lame. Like, they'd all be neat across the board if it weren't for the "either be BFFs or murder everyone" clause.

To be fair, those are the Long Campaign objectives. My guess is the control all 17 capitals thing isn't needed for regular campaign victory.

Speaking of, I guess you now have a genuine reason for the Grombrindal-Malekith reunion tour to Naggaroth when playing Dwarves. :haw:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Archonex posted:

Dwarves also got a bunch of new strategic locations on top of all the other old world factions getting them. Zhufbar for instance has at least one special building they can build in Karag Dromar.

Given that I think Zhufbar is where Bugman used to set up his brewery at i'm guessing they're going to be the booze based faction.

The special building in Karag Dromar is Bugman's Brewery. Going by the version they had put into the Vortex campaign as an easter egg, it produces a gigantic amount of beer (100 kegs IIRC), gives a big local public order bonus, local experience and recruitment cost buffs for all Ranger variants, factionwide upkeep reduction for Rangers and a factionwide construction cost discount and lower construction times for the hostelry building chain.

LordAbaddon posted:

Really? I thought crumbling was identical to routing except that instead of running away the units just disintegrated

Full rapid disintegration happens at the point non-undead units would shatter completely. The undead equivalent to routing is slow crumbling, which means DoT kinda comparable to being in range of a Mortis Engine. However, other units crumbling doesn't impact morale the way routing units do afaik, only army losses.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like that the high elf economy is based on exporting shiny doodads to the humans

That, and being lazy decadent fucks.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

I think the official reason was something like all the horrible things that the Empire fights on a routine basis don't give a poo poo about pikes and they need the halberds to crack open their armor, hide, shell, or what have you.

It's a number of reasons. One is that there's a lot of big gribbly things out there that can seriously gently caress up a dense pike formation. And yes, halberds might just work better against some full-plate-wearing Chaos Warrior or Black Orc who can feasibly bodycheck a pikewall and expect it to end in a lot of broken pikes.

Another big one, though, is the terrain in the Empire. Outside of the southern parts, most of the Empire is dominated by forests and hilly areas, with lots of broken ground that just isn't very suitable for pike formations. The result is that imperial infantry prefers more maneuverable and flexible formations equipped with swords, spears or halberds. Some of the southern electors do sometimes field limited amounts of pikemen, though often via just hiring tilean mercs for the job.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

This is a game where the likes of Azhag and Vlad are running around. I don't expect Arkhan to have a different campaign.

Azhag was still alive when Karl Franz took the throne. And Vlad is a vampire, who have a bit of a habit of coming back from getting killed.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Much unlike places such as Switzerland, home of the pike block and renowned for its wide open fields, or Bavaria or Austria or even the Czech Republic, also known for their grassy steppe.

Yes, Switzerland. Aka the place that's mountains and... wide open fields in the shadows of said mountains, with something like 90% of the people and practically anything of actual relevance and value being in said latter parts. And similarily, it's funny how the rise of pike warfare just happened to coincide with the beginning of large-scale deforestation in places like Bavaria, Austria and the Czech Republic - places which, mind you, were at their worst comparable with the nicer parts of the Empire. IE, the parts that background-wise do see use of pikemen.

Now how many troll-size or larger gribblies were roaming around Switzerland at that time again? And how big was the chance that marching an army through any random forest could end up in a few thousand local Beastmen and whatever other things decided to tag along with them deciding to go bushwhacking said army? Or that your pike block would end up facing a mob of 400+-pound musclebound assholes covered in enough armor to be functionally immune to being stabbed?

quote:

Pikes are not included for very reasonable reasons, not because pike and shot would be lame and OP in tabletop game from 1980

That's a nice theory and all, but it runs into a little issue. That being that pike and shot was entirely doable on the tabletop (either by using the Dogs of War pike units in an Empire army or going pike&crossbow via a pure Dogs of War lineup) and that it was not exactly "lame and OP", either.

quote:

There were no decades-long conflicts in hilly areas defined by pike and shot formations. Not one of those has ever happened. Warhammer makes sense. yep.

Unironically, yes. Pike units in any actual battle near-religiously kept themselves to flat areas because a pike unit trying to fight on broken ground will pretty quickly gets its poo poo ruined by practically any other kind of infantry.

But hey, I guess all game developers ever are just completely unthinking idiots and we must always try to poo poo on anything they do in an obnoxious, passive-aggressive manner. Under no circumstances should anyone ever be allowed to try and make sense of a fantasy game world and rationalise anything in it. After all, where would we be if fiction made any sense?

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 20, 2017

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Gay Horney posted:

I'm a little hesitant to give settra the chariot of the gods over a loving Sphinx what's the word on that

Bit late, but my experience is that the chariot takes more micro, but is loving hilarious. Imagine what a particularily sadistic GTA player with a big car would do when faced with a packed pedestrian zone. That's Settra on his chariot right there. :allears:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I'm just really curious how they're gonna try to explain Saltspite. She's not exactly friends with the undead. About the only way I can that even imagine working is if she gets kind of a custom faction that uses living troops and sea monsters.

Edit: Another possibility for our mystery LL:

Copher is already in the game as a region.

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 9, 2018

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Basically, the problem with most Vampires is that the kind of people the bloodlines consider "worthy" to be turned tend to be pretty ruthless and ambitious in life already. And then you dump a lot of power, the instinctual mindset of a solitary apex predator and affinity for black magic on top of that. Unsurprisingly, most of them turn out to be sociopathic monsters with little to no empathy towards others.

Torrannor posted:

I'm not sure about Warhammer theology, but if you believe that your relatives rest in heaven and that reanimating them as undead disturbs their eternal rest (which generic fantasy peasant are wont to do), then you might be a little bit upset at seeing your mother become a mindless undead.

Well yeah. There's a reason the Cult of Morr over in the Empire consider the undead to be inherently anathema.

Doesn't help that necromancy is an offshoot of black magic, with all the corruption problems that come with that. There's a reason why necromancers tend to be megalomaniacal sociopaths.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

Thanks a lot. Will avoid lizards. As kroq gar I was absolutely destroying skaven

Basically, you need something to deal with Saurus and monsters, and the starting Skaven units just aren't good for that. Once you got some Globadiers and Plagueclaws going, and perhaps a few better infantry or skirmisher units, that's when you can start to hurt the Lizardmen.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's not what happened tho, he marches to Altdorf after destroying several armies but can't besiege it because one of Volkmar's predecessors has the Liber Mortis and can unbind the undead army. Then he plays cat and mouse for like twenty years across the Empire before finally getting pinned and destroyed by an Empire-Dwarf alliance. And this is against an Empire that immediately puts aside internal struggles because they remember what happens if they squabble among themselves when a von Carstein is invading from Vlad's go-around. Also there are still humans in Sylvania same as ever, they were even in Mannfred's army list for Storm of Chaos.

Mannfred is a conniving backstabber but he's not stupid. Or not supposed to be stupid, no one ever accused GW of good writing.

On a sidenote to this, the Battle of Hel Fenn is described in detail in The Empire at War, and the book (it's written as an in-universe military history textbook written by a retired imperial general) notes that emulating it is basically the dream of every imperial army leader since. The elector count of Stirland pulled a full-blown Cannae-style double envelopment of Mannfred's army. The whole thing was both brilliant and risky as all hell, and the book states that while Mannfred hosed up, he hosed up in ways that almost any army leader would have if put in the same situation.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/9p4arh/?utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=9e77991cd3fe496ca73f876ca0548b87&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=9p4arh posted:

I see a lot of posts talking about the updates to the Vampire Counts like the Bloodlines, which are awesome, but there was another stream that had some great info about the Vampire Coast! Everyone should check it out on the Total War Twitch channel, but here are some highlights of what they talked about :

-Luthor Harkon's multiple personalities will change every few turns on the campaign giving different effects like stat changes and sometimes even giving him temporary use of a spell. He'll be a very dynamic LL. In addition, he'll have a sort of additional objective in the campaign to collect the lizard trinkets and put his mind back together, suggesting that he will actually get an end-game objective where you might not get the random personality bonuses anymore and instead just get a set of permanent buffs.

-We got some more lore about Cylostra Direfin: during her time on the Lamprey before her death, she basically enthralled all the crew with her overwhelming personality while the captain was very meek. She tossed him overboard in a show of arrogance because she thought she could out-sing the storm, but failed. She did NOT just come back from the dead for no reason, it was hinted that there was a deal made with some entity that brought her back and gave her mastery of the Lore of the Deeps. There will be an ebook released toward the end of this week that will go more in-depth to her story. Her goal is to sink Ulthuan and sing for the Phoenix King's soul. Also, in talking with Games Workshop, they made it clear that this was a Vampire Coast DLC, not a Dreadfleet DLC, so that's part of the reason why CA didn't have more than 2 lords from Dreadfleet.

-Aranessa Saltspite got some additional justification for her part in this. They said that Manann basically told her to take over the seas, but in order to do that she needed a bigger and more permanent crew than pirates. She made a pact with some vampires, and they defended it by reminding everyone that Aranessa is not a "good" guy. She is renowned for being cruel, violent, and utterly ruthless, so making a pact with vampires to get more power is well within her character's potential.

-One spell in the Lore of the Deeps is called something like "Vangheist's Revenge" (this is the spell seen in the Introducing Cylostra video). It summons the actual Shadewraith, Vangheist's ship, to fire a broadside with its cannons.

-The Legendary Lords' unique ships function as mobile capitols for them, meaning your start position doesn't actually have to be your home base, you can just leave it behind if you want. The ships will be able to recruit units, and you can upgrade certain parts of the ships as you would the buildings in a settlement. For example, you can upgrade the mast, or the specific one they mentioned is the harpoon gun that you'll actually need in order to use the Star Metal Harpoon against Amanar

-Speaking of Amanar, they confirmed again that he will have some big impacts on the campaign map, but didn't reveal any more specific details. They did say that the reasoning behind his connection to the Vampire Coast is that the pirate Lords want to use the Star Metal Harpoon to kill Amanar so that they can control him once he's dead, in case that wasn't clear before

-The advisor character for the Vampire Coast factions is an undead monkey named Cymbals who is a taxidermied/stuffed monkey inhabited by an evil soul. This was maybe the best fact presented in the stream.

-Lokhir Fellheart will be a melee focused Lord (they said he gets stuck right in to combat) and he starts with a unique Black Ark that has his squid mask image on the front of it

Best advisor since Skaven scribe incoming. :haw:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Basically yeah, Nagash gets resurrected and blows Settra into pieces and leaves his skull out in the desert to rot. The chaos gods come to Settra and offer to reassemble his body so that he can continue to go after Nagash.

From there the 1d4chan entry discusses it better https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Settra_the_Imperishable :

Settra is the best character in Warhammer Fantasy and it's a loving shame the Tomb Kings got squatted in Age of Sigmar.

The best part is that when Settra explains to Nagash the deal the Chaos Gods offered him, Nagash (who at this point kinda understands how Settra ticks) declares them idiots just before Settra proceedes to cut up the demon.

Edit: watching the tournament stream repaly right now. Oh god that Dwarfs vs Beastmen match. :magical:

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 21, 2018

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

For those specifically interested, the magical Dwarf vs Beastmen match starts at around the 4:15:00 mark.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
That Campire Coast gunline against the Empire. :allears:

toasterwarrior posted:

Death Globe Bombardiers are AoE, and they're goddamn terrifying. Poison Wind Globadiers don't throw AoE globes because Poison Wind Globes don't work like that; in lore, they're basically throwing acid at things, not grenades. Death Globes are more advanced versions of Poison Wind Globes that the Skaven have managed to stabilize so the acid disperses in an area but stays potent enough to kill poo poo.

The Poison Wind Mortar, which isn't in the game, shoots massive Poison Wind Globes, so the acid actually lingers too through sheer volume.

It's not acid, it's poison gas. Quite likely chlorine or similar, given the old WWI trick with the piss-soaked hankerchief works against it background-wise. Death Globes are background-wise just a better, more expensive version of it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Holy poo poo, Settra going Initial D on that Chaos army. :haw:

President Ark posted:

can someone link the match where queen bess got rolled out, i want to see how it does in action

That's on yesterday's stream, relatively early on. Coast vs DE. Queen Bess blew up like 40% of the hp bar of a Dreadspear unit in one solid hit.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Those are pretty badass. Check out the one in the background that looks stuffed with axes, swords, etc.

Ogre tribes have no real use for human-sized weaponry. It's too big for the Gnoblars and too tiny for the Ogres. So instead they either scrap it or use it as ammo for the Leadbelchers or the Gnoblar Scraplauncher:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
A proper pirate gunline is a thing of beauty.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Actually a thing.