Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Watching HeirofCarthage playing Morathi and I can't unhear the infantry all shouting "dooky" when they get orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Ravenfood posted:

and slow down enemy tech

Steal tech only boosts your own research rate and doesn't slow the enemy, as far as I can tell.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Also Durthu's army is immune to attrition, which makes it possible to scour the north from turn 1.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Re-installing doesn't actually get rid of the data directory in your install folder, unless you manually deleted it.

Delete it and let Steam download it again, this has fixed crashes for me in the past.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

I'm pretty sure the option to confederate from upgrading the tree is one of those offers that can't be refused. As Orion I was at war with Torgovann, because they declared on my bae the Fay Enchantress. I beat them down, and as part of the peace offering they paid me the maximum amount of money possible for confederating with me, despite hating my guts. The other elves and Durthu liked me, but also paid maximum possible gold to become my loyal subjects.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Mazdamundi it is then!

I assume I'm going to rely on skinks for awhile, then get a core of Temple Guard in Mazda's army while using skinks and dinos as auxillaries?

e: And Saurus instead of Temple Guard (generally) as my line for my backups? Anything I should know for heroes?

Demolish the Skink building you start with and replace it with the Saurus one. Money will be slower for a while but Saurus are rock hard infantry and will last you the whole campaign. Start off with as many as you can support. Later on I try to have around 6 or so in my stacks.

Flakey fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 22, 2017

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

MoreLikeTen posted:

I'm getting smacked around by the vortex campaign no matter who I play as. If I stay small and cover my ritual sites, the others outpace me. If I make a move for the leader, I lose ritual sites. Is there an accepted overarching strategy, or a good video series to learn from?

Don't worry about falling behind on the ritual, if that's what you mean by outpace. Build tall not wide, and if an enemy faction completes their ritual first, you can stop their victory in a quest battle, which you can teleport to.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Beastmen showing up would be loving terrible with this mechanic.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Faster End Turn Camera is really nice, and Chaos Invasion Improved makes that event not suck dick.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hey, playing mortal empires as kroq. Don't want to go to war with my lizard neighbors, but I can't seem to get them to confederate with me, even though we have like 230 reputation, and am steadfast. I want that unique capital building, and I've already reached the sea, so there aren't any real enemies nearby. Am I just screwed? Is war the only way left?

I had the same thing in my last Kroq game. Break all your treaties with them at the same time, they might just declare on you. If not, war them 10 turns later.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Ugh what the gently caress is with your military allies getting a different A.I. that makes them incapable of prioritizing targets? Skavendom is down to Clan Mors and Clan Pestilens yet they refuse to confederate while Masdamundi scoops up every Lizardman faction on the map. Meanwhile I'm fighting High Elves and Lizards back home because CA finally made the A.I. capable of amphibious assault.

Whatever, one more warpstone source province and I'm back ahead of the vortex race. This time I won't let Chaos mow through my garrisons for two towns and tank my economy either.

If you are military allies with someone they will never confederate with you (barring some of the forced ones through techs and buildings for certain races) because they don't consider you to be more powerful than themselves. You're their ally, after all. Confederation in this game doesn't make much sense, often.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Azran posted:

I'm having a really weird issue with TWW I, I can't get it to launch. Suddenly Steam refuses to launch the game at all, no error message or anything. Can't even verify the cache integrity, clicking on the button does nothing. What gives? TWW2 launches just fine.

This happened to me too, I think it was mod related. Try deleting the folder \steamapps\common\Total War WARHAMMER\data (back it up first I suppose) and letting it redownload. Maybe unsub from any mods you picked up since last week before deleting too. Hope it works!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Regarding the mount tanking his stats, I'm pretty sure that the stat comparison it does when you mouse over an open mount skill is comparing stats without currently equipped gear and possibly selected skills, so the hit isn't as bad as it seems.

Edit: Tried it out, I was wrong. Ignore this disinformation.

Flakey fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 21, 2018

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Thank the horned rat I got lucky with the last ritual sites being clustered near the Mors starting area with one behind the impassable mountains Kroq-Gar starts under. If they were split across all the poo poo I conquered on the western side of the map in a mad dash for warpstone I would have been well and truly hosed, but instead I fled the continent and my one regret was not being able to burn poo poo down as I left.

It's kinda bullshit that you can go to huge lengths to stop someone else's ritual then once they get around to it the second time they jump right up to the next one due to accumulated resources. I was way in front of Naggarond and Lothren but once they finished their #4 they were nearly ready for #5 and I had to start immediately or lose the game.

Don't worry about being behind the AI on the ritual. If they complete it before you do, you get the opportunity to stop them via a quest battle that you can teleport to.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Anyone seen any announcements about what time Tomb Kings are out tomorrow?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

jpparker55 posted:

People really saying TK need a buff? Yeah you start slow, but you get a max tier unit which will win you almost any battle (at least the cat or titan). By turn 60 you have 3 full stacks with no upkeep, even if you still only control your starting province! Once you steam roll a couple more provinces so you can add some more elite units, you're completely out of control (which is fine, all factions can get OP in the right hands about that time).

The skeles NEED to be crap because they're free and unlimited. Expend as many as you need, then fill back up for free. Can recruit from the global queue for free as well so 9 skeles in 2 turns potentially! I much prefer it to the Vamps who replace chaff infantry entirely after a couple large battles, never looking back. Doesn't seem right.

I like to leave my first dynasty research on 1 turn remaining, then switch to a second one. Finishing them both back to back on turn 26 and 27 or so lets you have 3 stacks (of mostly chaff) a bit sooner that way.

e: Also Gejnor I love your mods and am trying out the Lore of Nehekara buff. Those screenshots look promising!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Y'all should try out our own Gejnor's Green Iz Best mod, it rules: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1182817272

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

They don't aim at the center of a unit, but at the sides. This can cause direct fire units to think they don't have line of sight sometimes, when they actually do.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Mordja posted:

Actually it's the opposite of this

I dunno man, take a look at these Outriders, that doesn't look like the center of the unit to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPreUYsbO9M&t=103s

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

I stand corrected!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

THE BAR posted:

It's so weird that you can't transfer individual units from group 1 to group 2, if group 2 is already made. You have to pick the units you want to transfer from group 1, assign them an unused group, THEN transfer them to the group you want them at.

And I'd really like units to fit into several groups. So you have group 1 for every cavalry unit, but they're all split into different groups for breaking off and maneuvering.

I'm pretty sure that if you select the units you want to transfer in group 1 and then press CTRL+2 it will move them to group 2 even if that's already a group.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Just use a mod that buffs food and spread warcrimes across the world.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Was trying out Alith Anar in Vortex when Tretch and Hellebron declared on me in the same turn. Sent the super assassin from the ritual up to look at Hellebron's stack, then straight assassinated her. They sued for peace on their next turn. 2500 gold well spent I guess!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Sexy Shelob.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry that this isn't TWW or DLC scheme related, but I don't really post in other threads much. Where the hell did this Grimey Drawer tag come from?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Don't war other Bret factions.

I like the Enchantress quite a bit, she levels up in to a total bad rear end, and her start lets you get in to easy conflicts with the Estalians, or the Skavenblight skaven if they've resettled the place after Beastmen have inevitably burned it down. She's right across the ocean from various other enemies as well.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Frog Act posted:

So I've been practicing custom battles versus the AI, large budget, just fighting whatever they generate. I've been doing good but that doesn't really mean poo poo since the AI is dumb and human players aren't, but I kinda wanna try multiplayer. I've played every TW game except for the oldest ones that used sprites and poo poo and I've never once tried an actual battle against another player.

Whats a good faction to take into fights, as in, has a good balanced army that can respond to things? I'm thinking high elves with a Loremaster of Hoeth Hero and a generic Prince, or maybe Tyrion, since he has some buffs but doesnt require hella micro which I know I won't be as good at as anyone I face

In addition to the others' advice, watch Turin's videos on YT. He has informative breakdowns of MP matches.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

That's just one of their attack animations. They burrow down and pop back up, causing lots of unit disruption. It also makes them really hard to encircle and pin down in melee.

Regarding getting stomped, the Lightning Strike recommendation is the right one. Personally I also use Gejnor's Nehekara Rises mod, to not make TK chaff units quite so utterly garbage.

Necropolis Knights aren't bad as far as cav go, but constructs are generally less micro heavy in my experience as they can just get stuck in and keep stomping, without needing to cycle charge as much.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Screaming Skull catapults are a total trap though. TK arty really isn't very good. You're better off going for some faux artillery like great bow ushabti and bone giants, though they are higher tier.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Correct, unchecking it now just makes reinforcements trickle in one by one when your stack drops below 20.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Legendary lords that are dead when you confederate their faction are put on the recruitment list now, and you an recruit them after they heal back up.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-patch-notes-the-resurgent-update

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Giant dinosaurs and magic generally do the trick. Basic spears don't have the AP to bring down Bastiladons quickly enough if there's other troops in there mixing it up as well.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

bloodychill posted:

I'm at the point now where High Elves are halfway to the last ritual, I'm close behind but haven't pulled the trigger on the second to last because when I tried it, VampCoast and Pestilens backstabbed me. So, I'm trying to finish conquering Vamps (very close to it) and push Pestilens into a treaty before moving all my stacks to the city they seem to spawn at and hitting the button. Not sure what to do about the High Elves. I have a stack over on not-Atlantis going around razing their cities but I don't know if it'll be enough. Meanwhile Dark Elves have completely confederated and have run-away in terms of strength because I'm the only force that has successfully pushed them and I had to turn away to deal with poo poo going on in the south.

I wouldn't count on any treaties holding, the more rituals you complete the more other factions will hate you. There is only war, and so on.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Just picked this up after having burnt out on warhammer 1, and I have a few questions.

Is there no way to set autosave so that it saves at the start of turns instead of after I misclick and lose a settlement?

Is the reinforcement bug back? I've gotten some very strange reinforcement placements.

Can't change when it autosaves as far as I know but you can quicksave with CTRL+S at the start of the turn (or whenever).

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Not specifically Warhammer related, but it's doing my head in...

Around the time of Empre the UI introduced buttons (near the mini map I think) which would tell selected units to move forwards or backwards or rotate, and maintain exact formation. I found these incredibly useful, and now they're gone (or at least not in Shogun 2 or Rome 2). If you highlight the desired units and just click somewhere ahead they will all walk forward but won't maintain proper formation like with the buttons.

Is there still a way to do this - am I missing something really obvious?

You can lock control groups to maintain their formation, either by holding CTRL when you make the group, or pressing the lock icon next to their group number. Right clicking will move them in formation, or ALT+left click and dragging will move selected units more precisely. Hold down CTRL and ALT while dragging to rotate.

Hope that helps!

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's some double secret requirements to also get the Armor of Midnight or something? I use this to just have the unique items always be part of the reward: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1167310654

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Like, 2 posts above you my dude.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

Single player with Chaos Warriors isn't significantly different in 2 compared to 1. If you wanna try them out I'd not get 2 right away. Also get Gejnor's Chaos Rising mod to make the faction more fun: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=881309399.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

bobz0r posted:

can i get some tips on a skarsnik ME start.. these karak norn dwarves just hold up in their capital and if i take an elector count province in wissenland they come from behind or the province just confederates with karl before i capture their capital. then woodelves declare war and clan angrund starts coming up from the bottom and hero spamming me. idk i just want some buff gobbos

Ignore the dwarf capital and use your starting agent to gently caress with the dwarf stacks. Blocking their movement can buy you plenty of time to sack nearby human settlements. You can also try underwaying down to the minor settlement in the south of your starting province to take that easily.

Alternatively raid your way to a Waaagh while harassing the dwarfs with your agent, then use said agent to damage Karak Norn's walls and roll your gobbos in.

Either way there will be lots and lots of dead goblins so it may take a try or two. :v: