Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ground floooooooooooooooooooooooooor

Holy poo poo I want to stab a rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

OP you hosed up some of your URLs they don't all point to the rat video

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

New skaven ritual video

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

What's the current best place to preorder TW:W2, based on a cost:not getting my CC stolen ratio.

CDKeys preorder got refunded due to their keys being region locked, wanna get my preload on tonight

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Despite the badlands being the literal goddamn worst, Dwarves are still by far my favourite faction

it's me, i'm the bad "bring max artillery, park on top of hill, wait" turtler

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Holy gently caress gate garrisons are no joke and it's very painful that you can't bring siege equipment to them. I got so intensely owned it's actually a little funny (but mostly sad and painful and I'm savescumming because this campaign is easy and I can't take a blow to my ego like that).

Blackguard are p loving good you guys.

Also, anyone else having the problem with the High Magic phoenix fire spell firing near walls? Twice now I've aimed it next and perpendicular to a wall, and twice it's gone off in some other direction.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Trait system is a standout QOL winner in this game.

It's very good that Tyrion has never, and will never, get "Likes Dark Elves"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

this makes my heart happy

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Mazz posted:

Projectiles are very easy to attach to new weapons so you could make a unit of say, goblin archers fire other goblins at things.

genjor

please

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

sassassin posted:

Did they admit that neither team knew what the other was doing, and that they were struggling to knit the two together for ME?

this is a dumb post and you are a dumb poster

Mortal Empires is huge and good and will not be that much worse for lack of the Norse, especially considering they'll get in eventually.

At a certain point you just have to say Feature Freeze and polish up what you've got, otherwise you end up <insert latest AAA bug-ridden monstrosity of a launch>

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Finished a Normal Helf campaign as Tyrion on the weekend. poo poo was fun, and while I understand some of the complaints about stacks spawning all up in your backfield, I didn't end up having as much of a problem with it as I thought. I ended up just having lots of walls, and a stack on homeland defense duty (which ended up becoming awesome enough to use as my final battle stack. The leader of that army was a straight up baller). Homeland defense stack was repurposed as Maritime Salvage Stack while invader levels were low.

Key standouts:

- Elf bullshit is intensely real. My armies were primarily seaboys and archers until early lategame when I finally conceded that there was just too drat much armour to deal with.
- Building tall and being friends with the rest of the island is a really good strategy. I helped out Yvresse early on and they ended up being my bulwark against Norsca until I managed to put together a crusade fleet and raze their poo poo. Not having to worry about those marauding stacks was incredibly helpful, plus only taking the phoenix province, caledor, and lothern in their entirety (plus the white tower) kept my exposed ritual surface to a bare minimum while I boated off to pester Pestilens/Morathi/Malekith.
- I never actually set foot in the southlands :sun:
- Pirates of Sartosa are a hilariously good money pinata
- The Entire Ocean are a hilariously good money pinata
- The first full stack I gave Tyrion to go a-maraudin' with ended up being the one he ended the game with (more or less). Tyrion, a High Mage, Three spearmen, five seaboys, three archers (the less-armour kind), two ellyrian reaver archers, two silver helms with shields, two regular silver helms, and a single eagle claw brought most of the island to heel, razed the northernmost Norscans, and rampaged through northeastern/eastern naggaroth, clowning keith until he confederated under Morathi for protection (who was then summarily clowned on). It was pretty hilariously outdated by the last couple battles, but still shockingly effective.
- The aforementioned high mage was amazing and completely made up for my units' oldness - I really like the elves' MO of substituting magic for real artillery. Fights with Malekith/Morathi were hilarious, because as soon as they flew into range they were hit with overcast Vortex (?) - overcast Arcane Unforging - the missile spell I forget the name of, all while being pelted by my vet 9 archers/seaboys. Later, I brought in a combat-maxed noble on an eagle, who helped with that last sliver of health. The phoenix spell was also great (when I didn't try to aim it parallel to a wall :downs: ), although I just realized that I never overcast it :cripes:
- silver helms suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Thought of enemy cav and died.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Aurubin posted:

Did they ever say in the fiction why elves don't use gunpowder? They seem to have gotten to high medieval tech and just stopped.

Makes them more distinct in-game of course, but ideas curious if there was a throwaway line somewhere in an army book or something calling guns barbaric.

I would imagine it's just the fantasy trope of "magic obviates technology". Why make cannons when your mages are much more reliable artillery?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Are Hellpit Abominations bad or are saurus spears just good?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, the whole "chaos invasion spawns three different groups of five or six hellstacks each, all of which are automatically at war with you and only you and ignore literally everything else to come gently caress your poo poo" is annoying as gently caress. Especially when they're packed with late game units and all I can field without going instantly bankrupt are loving bleakswords and poo poo.

The Chaos invasion from the first game was fun because you could basically plan around it. Everyone fought it. This one is just "lolololololololol you're the player so get fuuuuuucked nerd" where it's as if the rest of the loving world doesn't even see this massive pile of Chaos marching through their territory to come gently caress with me. That those stacks are ALSO blind to everything but me is loving terrible, too.

I don't see what was wrong with the first game's approach to the Chaos invasion. Why does the player need three different groups of doomstacks that, as far as the rest of the game is concerned, basically don't exist since no one else interacts with them? It's weird.

They probably just goofed. I'd be shocked if it wasn't changed in the next few patches.

Did Searing Rain get buffed? Had a chaos rebellion led by a metal caster spawn and that guy did some loving work on my lizard garrison.

Also, lizards (especially saurus) are loving amazing to play.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Has anyone else noticed that occasionally an AI faction will go to war with you without displaying any "lets fite" prompt?

I've had this happen on two separate occasions so far. The first was in my Tyrion campaign, when I used an agent action against saphery and they immediately flipped to At War.

The second just happened last night in my Mazda game - I was towards the end of the 10-turn peace treaty time with Pestilens and concentrating on other things, then a full stack started sieging one of my cities out of the blue. No declaration of war, no diplomacy screen, nada. I don't even think I used an agent action against them, although I may have scouted a ruin with one of their cities in it.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Helman GHOST

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Due to an acute case of The Dumb, I didn't manage to get kroxigors until about turn 90 of my campaign, at which point they were promptly used in empty settlement siege defense versus a full stack of rebellion clanrats.

I put my two saurus and three skink skirmishers on the walls, with the kroxigors and my scar-vet leader behind the gate. The latter crew were promptly retasked to go chase skaven once I realized two siege towers had docked behind my line on the wall and were projectile vomiting clanrats at my settlement cap point, at which point I realized holy poo poo why the gently caress have i not been using kroxigors :catstare:. Clanrat spears didn't so much as scratch them, while they beat the blue hell out of the skaven. My walls fell fairly quickly, so I retreated them to my cap point and stuck them in the two choke points with the scar vet in the middle for morale support. There, they intercepted probably half the enemy army and just sat there, taking approximately no damage and clobbering rats into next week. A unit of night runners came up and started plinking at one of my units, which did precisely nothing, then they too ran into the pulverizer. I literally had no input on the last five or so minutes of the fight, I just sat and watched from a cinematic angle.

Don't be like me, friends. Remember kroxigors.

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 31, 2017

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

lol if you're not 2 monitor master race and don't shitpost while the game turns

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

The Bramble posted:

It's a big help to turn times if you click the camera icon in the upper left corner (I think it only shows up when the turn is processing?) and change the default settings. I turn the camera off for allied and neutral armies and heroes, and turn the animations to "fastest" for enemies. There's also a "faster camera" mod I use too.

This is a Pro Tip, faster camera is a pretty critical mod if you've got vision anywhere further than your own borders, or even if your own borders are more than a screen or so away.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

every time I read this thread title I mumble to myself "Surtha Heck"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

I loaded up the dwarf campaign after hearing all the talk about the gunline of death, etc.

Turtled for awhile. Got a line of catapults, crossbows and had them stand behind warriors as the orcs made their way up a hill.

It was Omaha Beach. Wounded Knee. Rorke's Drift. The Killing Fields. The First Day on the Somme.

The day I put thunderers in front of my melee line was a goddamn revelation

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

that is one hell of a divergent codebase if they have to rewrite from scratch. I do not envy the project lead who had to explain that to management

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

lol if you care more than negligibly about norsca

tomb kings get hype

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Xae posted:

I haven't noticed 90% of the problems people are getting real mad at video games over.

I must be a terrible person.

loving same

I mean I only have like 50 hours played, all in Normal SP, so it's probably because I'm a filthy scrub casual v:v:v

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:sbahj:

preordered

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hell yes I want to hammer a goon

I did so much better than I expected last time

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm having a bear of a time getting rolling as Vortex Khalida. That Lizardman faction they want you to fight early on just kept on body-ing all my skelemans like lizards are wont to do. Early on you also don't really have enough archers/nekahara warriors or really any grave guard to hold the line longer than a few seconds. Khalida would MVP blob up all the lizards and my archers could snipe the toad and then shoot down the blob on Khalida and eek out a win, but by the time the fight ended I'd lost pretty much all of my melee line. Lore of Nekahara really needed a good reliable heal like Lore of Blood has if you're tied down to utter garbage line infantry for the first 50 turns, or even just a lord/priest ability that gave regeneration in their command radius.

Early game the Chariots and the archers are so good, but I also want like twice as many of the chariots because that's really all they got going for them until the monsters start appearing.

Losing your melee line is Working As Expected. What difficulty are you playing on?

My battles against them went all fairly similar: line up as many skelemans as you are capable of recruiting while maintaining momentum up in front of your mans. Maximal archers behind that line, with Khalida chilling in the middle of them with those dank buffs. Sneks and Nehekaran Warriors in reserve.

Sepulchural Stalkers are for murderating Cold ones and getting sick ranged flanks because they have dope railgun ranged attacks.

Focusfire your archers on saurus (especially spears), those are the biggest threat to maintaining your frontline. Bring Nekaharan warriors in at weak spots in the line where the enemy is already tiring from punching skeletons, or on the flanks as necessary. Snake Knights cycle charge, and can get stuck in against things that are not saurus spears.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Marxismftw get in discord so we can fite

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Is there a place to get this game where it doesn't cost a billion dollars for the game + dlc? It's really disappointing that there doesn't seem to be a collected edition or something for TWW1 in spite of the fact that 2 is already out.

CA has substantial sales semi-frequently, just put it on your steam wishlist.

I am surprised there's no "Complete" edition, though. Probably because someone would look at the total price and say "I paid how much for this loving game?"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'm a page late to songchat but now I want AssCreed Black Flag shanties, but for your units that are winning their fights

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

It'd be super cool to have Zone of Control be a stat that could be extended/shrunk by traits/agent actions representing reconnaissance or somesuch. Also yeah for "controlling the entrance to inner ulthuan" Lothern is super bad at actually controlling the entrance to inner ulthuan. Maybe you're just supposed to permanently station a full stack of seaboys in the mouth?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I like how he asked what problems people have with the mod, and then proceeded to tell everyone with a problem that they're wrong and there is no problem.

Literally, the response to the top comment is "I have no intention of reverting this"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Haven't done the delf campaign, gonna give Hellebron a try and kill some elves

I should probably finish my TK campaign...I got to the final battle, thought everything was all wrapped up nice, then realized that I still needed to take the black temple (controlled by stalwart allies) :negative:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

I am really ok with the 20 turns for 1 super unit kinda deal.

The empire has one for a steam tank.

TBH this sounds more lore accurate than recruiting 1 per 4 turns

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Team Overhead Smash, get ye to discord so I can @ you to plan our tournament match

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

hot take here folks

elfs good

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I wish reinforcing armies were AI controlled like in the old games. That added some interesting situations as you rushed to the aid of your AI buddy or it arrived in the nick of time. I know there's a mod that does (did) that, but the extra units still clog up the unit UI.

I thought unchecking "control large army" did this

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Campaignwise is there any reason to give Hellebron the cauldron or should she stay on things that preserve her melee stats?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, don’t use locked groups to maintain formation. Learn to love alt-click and drag, alt arrows, and ctrl arrows. It’s far more fluid and intuitive.

Seconded. Formations are handy but they get way too fiddly sometimes. Alt-dragging just works, with the slight downside that alt is my discord PTT key so people yell at me for hotmicing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

I'd definitely like some more DLC, if only because it would mean less C&C chat

nothing against modding, you do you, but drat if it isn't disappointing to se 40 new posts and all of them are completely unrelated to anything I care about