Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
60 GB is going to be the "maximum," more or less.

It'll probably be 40 something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Also structuring your life around a videogame release is small.minded, you are made for better things. It's a fun distraction from things that matter nothing more :)

actually we're rats

we're the rats

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I dunno man, warhams the first took a decent amount of time to load a save and this one does it in like, four seconds.

It's a little alarming.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I am confused about high elves

how do I not just make half my army the normal rear end archers they melt everything in a volley

the enemy lord will come running up and just disappear at the first casualty

Like there are dragons and birds and jedi... or I could focus fire with my archer line one volley at a time and delete people how do i not just dooo thisssss

That in mind, seaguards make actually fighting helves a pain, including as, you know helves. Having the mainstay unit be able to shoot the poo poo out of fliers or cav if they get a bit to close in the skirmishing phase really makes it hard to not just, uh, apply archers to them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Queek's start is harder than I thought. Just getting bogged down by Kroq Gar and Lizardmen in general are a tough nut to crack.

Though I am really amused at how quickly and frequently skaven units rally. They're practically cycle charging with how often they run away and come back.

You need to get the tier 4/5 weapon team units, otherwise you're gonna get bodied by the big bois when they start coming, too. The last defenders are the other Lizard LL, so he's pretty swole.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Fun fact for you helf players; there are, of course, two Vaul's anvil named provinces. (Three, but that one isn't not on this map.) The second one is in delf land and is a wayshard location, so it's nice to have.

It also has a landmark building on it to give you -10% glocal unit upkeep.

You probably should go get it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Southlands is weird cuz right now it's boring, but later on it'll be extremely crowded.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Tyrion is an extremely chill game, but also a game that, in theory, devolves moreso into naval combat.

I don't think I've actually had any naval battles in mine 90~ turn game so far, but you do a lot of sailing around.

edit: also everyone in this campaign seems to have aversion to one another god drat

skaven hate everyone, lizards are cold-logic and just seem to hate you, delves and helves hate each other. And in race there's the usual factions that hate the player and the rest will happily confederate, eventually.

Makes helf gimmick seem really weak.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 30, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

listen man

their banner is a picture of a horse, it's kosher

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Ok we need to talk about something

all those unique buildings

there's a lot

and different races have different ones

and some of them are absurdly swole

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'd really like it if they did a half-update for ME so we can get all the WH1 stuff accessible in multiplayer, at least.

I get the magic changes are probably making that troublesome, as well as fixing it up for the alleged army painter. BUT STILL FOUR RACES

I need something to doomwheel spam and surprisingly other skaven armies are a natural counter to them. (Because all their good poo poo trumps large units.)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So when they do the big mega-campaign, how is that supposed to work? Will they be porting the old factions into WH2 and having them use the new mechanics like climate/rites? Or are they backporting the map/races into WH1, making them work like they did in that game with specific occupation regions and so on?

They've already stated Mortal Empires will use climates for everyone. Rites are a toss up, on the flipside.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

President Ark posted:

has anyone seen any of the AI skaven factions doing well for themselves? it feels like by turn 75 they've all been eliminated except the two big ones and they're usually dead last in the vortex progression

skaven kind of suffer the same sort of thing orcs did in that they have pretty shaky autoresolve chances

but their cities are also largely invisible, so they have more chances to make it work

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Quetgar, buddy, are you feeling alright?

On the flipside a swarm of fliers would gently caress up skaven good, given their lack of "archers."

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Pierson posted:

High Elf lords being complete garbage wastrels unless you pay influence is really funny and fits elves perfectly.

I find it kind of bizarre, personally. Mostly because you can work around a lot of the negative ones (Oh nooo, -5 melee defense) while the positive ones have you just recruiting goku

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I found a fun fact about the chaos armies, actually. So no one will declare war on them, that's a mechanic it's your thing to fight and vice versa when the AI is targeted. But.

Your rebels will fight them. One of my provinces broke out into a dinky rebel stack and immediately moved in to suplex a chaos doom stack, somehow won, then suicided their near dead stack into my province the same turn. I'm not sure how a six unit stack actually dunked a twenty one, but it's a thought.

Randarkman posted:

You have a link to that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/73t5dg/full_list_of_provinces_of_the_mortals_empire/

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Which of the two skaven lords is the most fun and challenging start? queeks bonuses seem the most straightforward with 50% off your best mid and top tier infantry, I'm not sure the best way to leverage plague monks.

Plague monks are just swole melee from traditional factions, but the differences in the lords are more what they get up to;

Queek goes in ham against a bunch of islander elves (autoresolve seabattles go) and the Last Defenders, one of the Lizard LLs, from the word go. This is rough as the Skaven weapon stuff comes in at tier four and five, so you have to hold on until then. Once you beat them you then have the placeholder factions in the Southlands that will be Araby and the Tomb Kings one day, but that does mean you get to dunk Empire, Dwarves and Brettonia in the meantime.

Skolk is on Lustria, by Teclis. You get to fight all three other factions, as well as some dwarves and orcs. I'd recommend playing him.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You probably should hold out for Mortal Empires to drop, as there's a bunch of PARTY starts for skaven then.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Jum-Jum posted:

Are there any mods that disable the ritual or like decrease the income of ritual currency to nothing? Anything that will practically disable the ritual so I can go ham on the map. I just finished my High Elves campaign and all the cutscenes, so now I just feel like I don't wanna play the vortex campaign ever again mostly because of those random spawns that destroy all your settlements and are ignored by everyone else. Even if I don't do the rituals that still means the others will and they'll have those chaos spawns when they should be fighting each other.

TLDR: Mod that disables the Vortex in any way?

Wait for mortal empires.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

A "close victory" :psyduck:

Autoresolve had it at 50/50

Yeah, it's kind of buggy this time around. I actually think it might be some anti-cheese mechanic if you do too well against normal odds - I fought a battle against an army plus settlement reinforcements that was slightly skewed in their favor in autoresolve, got beat up pretty bad and got heroic.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The biggest problems with playing helves in campaign, imo, is that their armies are good against three out of four races by default or, at least, competitive and don't need retooling.

Lizards, however, are tanky, shielded fuckers that never rout and I hate them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

There's also, you know, the flame cannon and regular cannon, which are all vanilla.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Ask yourself, how is the menace below going to work in naval battles, or carnosaurs, or anything really?

you already have cinematic showing how skaven might show up

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Truecon420 posted:

That's annoying, I want to make peace with the dino friends. They're an order faction!

Is there any mod to remove this??

You stole the vortex from them, etc etc.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

And the norse, later.

I appreciate the big empty field but with the intentional inclusion that makes it really obvious Araby and the Tomb Kings are gonna be in.

No western beastmen start tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what QOL features are there in this game that improve upon WH1? Is the combat feedback better? Warhammer 1 was big on spectacle but I felt like the actual melee was a bit floaty and not as crunchy as Medieval 2 or as slicey as Shogun 2.

Never before have I seen a weirder take of ME2 having more mechanics to it's combat then Hams.

Still, a lot of battle stuff, yeah. Everything from 2 except for Rites for the old factions are going to be in, you should know. You need WH1 and 2 to do ME.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

just ignore sassassin jfc, his posting gimmick is to be hyperbolic and contrary to everything. See; mech warrior thread, fire emblem thread, rap sheet really.

Victory conditions look lame. Like, they'd all be neat across the board if it weren't for the "either be BFFs or murder everyone" clause.

Interestingly, no Araby province is on there but Khermi is.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

The victory conditions have almost always been lame in Total War games, which is why I almost never finish campaigns, though I believe they're quite modable now. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't have any interest in managing more than five or six provinces at a time.

The first game's were all in all pretty cool and good tho. Manageable and made sense.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Please keep current title and OP forever TIA.

:yeah:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Why the flying gently caress are the mutinous gits aggressive? They are the most obnoxious thing. No other faction can interact with them by Queek Skarsnik and Dorfs, so if you play as one of them you just have this fat stack plus a waugh rushing at you out of the blue. It's extremely obnoxious.

That said, Queek protip; rushing a province to level 3 gets you catapults which absolutely melt orcs. I haven't hosed with my vampire friends yet, but I imagine they'd do good work against the skeleton and zombie blocks though you'd have to keep an eye on air units.

nopantsjack posted:

this is gonna get painful

on my end it's actually little different from two's. I mean, it's noticeable, but it feels to me it's just because the list is longer and not that it takes longer individually.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

crime fighting hog posted:

To be honest, how bloody were the battlefields after stuff like this? I remember the scene in Braveheart after the first battle everyone was caked in blood.

Mixed bag. If you kill somebody with a big hunk of metal then there's a fair bit of blood going everywhere, but most fights in the Medieval era were against fairly decentralized opponents with smaller armies as a result, as well as fighting in general not being to the death of everyone but until one side freaks out and takes off.

Still, to put it in perspective China's weapon technology, as it were, got really good about adding little bits of flair to their weapons that had the added effect of keeping the weapon from getting all bloody and slippery, as well as keeping blood from blinding the fighter.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Any tips on a good way to build Queek? With his ambush chance and general desire to swarm over enemies gunning for lightning strike seems a lot less useful, but blue-line skills were really good in the Vortex for the DEs I played, so I'm not sure.

His first tier of blueline skills include buffing his ambush chance and by then it's only two points more till lightning strike. :shrug:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Do you guys build armies tailor made to counter the race you are sending them against when playing the campaign? Just curious really. I've always made one "THIS SHOULD BEAT ALL" army template.

In the case of extremes like VC or dwarves, sure. Usually you know if you're going to be crusading against one particular faction for a while.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

They can still make DLC for one, you know.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Foxhound posted:

Can someone explain this to me?
I know my force isn't amazing or anything but it seems like a terribly onesided prediction anyway. Do the lords/heroes count for that much?

Heroes do count a fair bit, too, yeah.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

ZearothK posted:

What in the Christfuck.

It is pretty incredible.

It's still ME2 tho

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

What's the current hot and cool factions to play in ME right now? I tried clan rictus for a bit before remembering norsca wasn't in yet, so I ended that. Handgunners being bugged rules out empire, too and I assume dwarves

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I always forget how aggressively slow Dwarves/Orcs/Skaven are. Other factions you can reasonably start fighting pretty well and come limping back home to get some goodies afterwards, but they all need tier three/four as part of their basic army composition making the very early game tough going. (See; it's artillery.)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

To put it in perspective, clan rats will probably win against TK skeletons.

... Eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I find it kind of strange for skaven that it is actually easier to fight on regular battle maps as opposed to ambush scenarios. Like, any map that gives you a vague chokepoint is basically an autowin as you can tarpit things and vomit artillery on their whole army. Ambush on the flipside gets chaotic and messy, which can go south really quickly in a match up like skaven v lizards.

why are lizards so unfun to play against in every scenario