Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So here is a question for FFA games, since you get points based on damage dealt, what happens with healing magic, does the opponent lose points or do your troops become a point farm for the other guy?

Also curious if 1000 damage dealt to zombies will be worth less then 1000 dealt to a lord or unit with high defensive stats.

And it also seems like if you wanted to cheese a FFA, you'd take a all cavalry or mobile army and just wait for the other guys to engage and act as your anvil for you.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Looking at units right now, Mazamundi's red line has 1 point perks that give massive stat boosts to certain units, but only if they are rank 7 or higher, first time they added something like that.

Skavenslaves have the "meatshield" trait which the description says protects more valuable units, but I don't know how it works in practice.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Kroq has some massive upkeep reduction bonuses, -10% to every army, -50% upkeep to saurus in his army and the blue line can get another -15% with the cap at the end being another -8%

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

So many quality of life improvements in terms of interface tooltips, more clarity on what traits do and how they're gained, etc. I really hope a decent amount of that stuff is backported to TW1 or at least present for the TW1 factions when they're played in the big campaign in TW2. I'd imagine the latter'd be absolutely true, but I can dream on the former.

It's like I already have a dozen mods running, most of the things my mods did were added to the game.

I would really like to see the old factions ported into warhammer 2 as playable with all the quality of life improvements, expendable trait that actually works for zombies and goblins would be amazing.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I like the concept of the treasure hunts on ruins and "pick one of four things" but they have a flaw which I think will hurt replayability pretty badly, it's pre-fixed what the outcomes are and there is usually a choice where nothing happens, 1-2 where something good happens, 1 where something horrible happens.

Eventually you'll run across the same event and you'll know what the "correct" answer is and pick it, if your new and don't know what the correct answer is you just reload a quicksave.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You really can't go wrong with sending a lord to explore the sea for plunder, he'll pay for himself despite the added upkeep penalty, finding stuff like +1500-2500g stockpiles and a -huge- 30% construction cost discount for 5 turns which combined with a second event basically let me upgrade every building to max for barely anything.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Campaign map running like poo poo for no reason aside... game owns.

I also noticed it being choppy, going into settings and enabling the game to use all video ram helped a bit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ok, gotta say the rampage mechanic on almost every lizardman troop is ruining em for me, especially when your facing a army of 19 darkelf archers who enrage every unit of yours and lead them on a merry chase as they get shot up.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On Lizardman talk, I'm 90 turns into Mazdamundi, I settled as far north as the fallen gate with it's great unique building for temple guards and as far south as Spektazuma for the gem mine income for the majority of the game, it meant I didn't have to roam my armies far and could have small peacekeeping armies for rebellions and ritual defense, the first ritual was the roughest to defend and had to rebuild a little but it wasn't so bad, the bonuses you get during the ritual can save you a lot of money on upkeep.

If it wasn't for the darkelves invading I would of pushed much further south into the jungle for more ritual currency and wiping out skavens and unruly lizards and elves.

Some tips and insights from what I've done.

Mazdamundi with enough levels can decimate armies practically by himself, just net a large cluster of troops and start throwing ruination of cities, banishments and comets on top of them and you will rack up hundreds of kills in seconds.

Bring anti-archer units or units that won't rampage against the elves Saurus warriors get shredded chasing after elven archers and you can't even tell them to stop, you absolutely need to bring some cavalry or elite temple guard with Mazdamundi's discount to handle them, I never took the missile resistance traits in total war1, but they are absolutely required so your dinosaur riding heroes don't get focused and die in 5 seconds.

Send a general or two off to explore the ocean, skull islands are a quick 10k gold and if you can find a island of construction materials ( -30% discount ) you can easily upgrade all of your cities to max everything, with stacked discounts star chambers cost 0 gold to build.

I am not sure if knock-off Mazdamundi Slann priests are at all worth it to lead armies when you could instead bring a dedicated saurus lord on a T-rex to chomp everything.

I decided the human settlers were part of the great plan and made a alliance with them and they were a great help in dealing with rebellions and the occasional war target.

Having a early second general go down the blue line to pick up recruitment and troop discounts can be rather rewarding, I had him do all my recruitment and he could easily pick up rank 9 templar guards and rank 5-7 other troops and have a extra recruitment slot to do so.

From short observation it seems Blessed variants of regular troops don't pick up bonuses related to that troop type, so probably best to used blessed versions of supplements to your main force you didn't bother to buff up, that said, the blessed saurus warrior is insanely good with perfect vigour that never goes below fresh, use them to climb ladders for no penalty.

If you do decide to go north to spite the darkelves, look for "The ancient city of Quintex" it has a unique building that has insane income.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think I found a little exploit as Mazdamundi, in Macu Peaks you can build a marble quarry for -30% construction costs in the region and Mazdamundi's starting bonus is -50% cost for Star Chambers, which let's you build Star Chambers for 900g or free if any discount events are running but it won't reduce the gold you get back from destroying the building, just repeatedly build Star chambers and destroy them for the 3600g return.

I won't abuse it, but it's something to keep in mind that should probably see a patch if possible with how many construction discounts they give away in warhammer2.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 29, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ammanas posted:

I'm wondering if warp lightning cannons are the best artillery unit in either game. They are absolutely devastating.

Pre-release I was expecting them to be another case of the luminark of hyst since the projectile looks similar and them being useless and never firing, is that not the case?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Magni posted:

I'm having a laugh dealing with some of the Norse factions right now. One of them up north turned into the last inheritors of Surtha Ek's legacy. Won't last once the Norsca DLC hits, but drat is it fun to see some nostalgic sights until then. :allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You know what is still in the game I absolutely hate? telling your army to bash down a gate, the gate opens while your bashing it and you both can't go through the gate or continue attacking the gate but a couple of your most valuable units will attack animation through the open gate and be unable to get out and get mulched by everything on the other side of it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there any real reason to push further north than Fallen Gates as Mazdamundi other than maybe to raze Delve settlements entirely? Seems like uninhabitable hell zone land to me.

I razed ss'ildra and let the humans settle into the area, but I pushed further north and kept the ancient city of Quinex, it has a unique building that can give you a 4 digit income from the settlement despite the uninhabitable climate penalty.

At the middle tier 3 the Vaults of Quinex give:

800 Income
30 Growth
5% research
-60% public order penalty due to corruption factionwide
80% income from all buildings in the region.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The Black Pyramid of Nagash takes 40 turns to make. Turns are already so long having so much of the map seen, this is gonna take forever.

Ok, I really want to know what it does.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
To those that have played skaven, can someone break down their ranged units for me? it's a bit daunting compared to other races when each category is a dozen different things, some unique, some slight variations and 50-100g differences and a bunch of unit cards of rats in various outfits.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kainser posted:

Starting to get really tired of the stacks that spawn in when you start a ritual. It would be fine if they only focused on the ritual settlements since you can plan around that but instead you get 6 skaven stacks spawning in a random part of your empire who happily starts razing every single settlement. It's like a really lovely version of the chaos invasion in the first game, at least in that one the stacks didn't come from nowhere.

The incursions feel much better since they actually focus on the ritual settlement it spawns on.

To be fair, at that point your very close to winning the game, you can crack a few eggs to make that omelette, but it would be nice if they couldn't move the turn they spawned so you had a chance to react.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Are there any units missing from the current 4 factions rosters? I know people have mentioned some skaven ranged units missing, but anything for the lizardmen that would help with their crippling weakness against archers?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How are you guys having such trouble with other armies at sea? are you sailing your guys right up to a garrisoned enemy port and getting mad that they went out to get you?
To me it seems impossible to get caught by a enemy fleet except through carelessness, you have the line of sight to see any threats ahead of you and you can mouse over anything to move just outside their movement range and they will never be able to catch you because of march stance, on top of that the campaign bonuses you get from the salvage in the sea can give you even more movement and line of sight bonuses to make it even easier.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 1, 2017

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So, is it just me or do lizardmen kinda stink in multiplayer? 3 out of 4 factions are heavy on archers and siege and the lizardmen seem to have a lack of counters to both of them they trash their expensive, rampaging, low range units.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My only complaint so far is that roads should be something you can upgrade independent of taking up a building slot in each city and that the visuals should improve from dirt to stone or gold or skull paved depending on the faction like in the older total wars.

On another note, I peaked the undeads new road building.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I think would of fit in well would of been adding little dungeons of treasure guarded by armies that you could enter by walking up to them like a quest battle as a way to get gold/experience without declaring war.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I noticed is that highelves get penalties and bonuses for public order being low or high, but lizardmen don't.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sekenr posted:

So did anyone find more unique lords like the White Lion elf? This dude is great

Where do you find that guy, by the way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Which of the two skaven lords is the most fun and challenging start? queeks bonuses seem the most straightforward with 50% off your best mid and top tier infantry, I'm not sure the best way to leverage plague monks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
He can't ride any mounts, so nothing stopping you from getting lords with the bell as queek I guess.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

Someone made a video of the various sync attacks in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZFiuwrGiSI

I really like the Legendary Lord dueling ones, especially Queek V Kroq. :allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I know in the older total wars, once a general reached 1 loyalty it was time for them to go on a very long boat ride by themselves until they died of old age.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yes, you can also aim for their weapon hand side too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like the final battle should spawn 2 of the armies at the same time as they come from opposite ends of the map, it's not like the powers you have during it aren't broken enough to still make it a cakewalk.

If the final battle had you fight that first army uphill, then 2 armies came at you from 2 directions at once, then another 2 super armies came at you at once, it would still be easy with how strong the abilities you get are, but at least it would be a small challenge and cause you to decide which side you'd blow up first.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jum-Jum posted:

"Occupy this settlement on the other side of the universe. 10 fragments."

"Defeat this Rogue army on the opposite continent, 500g"

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I do wonder how the old world races as-is would stack up against the 4 new races, absurd campaign bonuses aside, what would dwarves begin to do against a skaven army that out-sieges them and drowns them in rats?

How is greenskin morale gonna handle fighting from every direction?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Was magic actually buffed across the board other than campaign effects and the ability to retarget AOEs? I've been hearing that a lot of stuff is unchanged, it was just used less

Wind of death without having to position the caster to direct it across the battle line.

Think about it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I wouldn't mind if in the after-battle display that shows kills it showed damage dealt too, it's easy to think a unit is impressive when it kills 400 trash units, meanwhile the real heavy lifters were focusing on a single monster or lord the entire fight and got maybe 3 kills between them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

Help! Teclis is in my back yard and he won't leave... It might have something to do with me sending Queek to his back yard and taking 5 settlements.

Seriously though, his army is 12 sea guard and 2 swordmasters and nothing I have in my home provinces can deal with it.

The forests in warhammer 2 are so thick with trees that it's pretty much impossible for a archer to do anything in them, they can drain their entire ammo any barely scratch their target if they are parked in the middle of a forest.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just me or is the warpstone armor from skaven really really good? turns any lord or hero into a mortis engine and quickly drains any blobs surrounding them.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
speaking of treasure hunts, has anyone found a reason to explore ruins for treasure? when the army doing it is costing 3-10k per turn or is a lone general upping everything by 15% it hardly feels like you got the turn to waste and should just settle the place unless your ending your turn near a ruin you don't intend to settle.

If you could send a hero unit in to do it that would be fine for the upkeep and opportunity cost.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Best results I've gotten from treasure hunts were 20% research for 5 turns, 750g or a couple turns worth of ritual currency with some major penalties for choosing wrong.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Treasure hunting is just half-baked in genral.

Either the size/cost of the army should affect things, or armies should be cut of the process entirely and only heroes should be allowed to hunt treasure.

Yeah, it seems more geared towards a single hero unit doing it instead of a entire army since nothing ever attacks you from the events, just attach it to the scout ruin option that already exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Highelf armies are a bit on the boring side, you'll do perfectly fine with 3-5 meatshield spearmen and the rest archers of whatever tier you feel like going with.

They just don't have much variety compared to even what the empire had in warhammer1 on release, 1 siege weapon, just a few cavalry choices and a few spearmen, archer, swordsmen and greatsword choices, the dragons are the only thing they got that are decently interesting to use.

Not sure what they could add in a unit pack to flesh them out.