Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I want to play a rat and send other rats to die gloriously in my name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Beer Hall Putz posted:

He's playing on legendary (most other streamers/youtubers seems to be playing on hard/very hard). He's utterly crushed the other Ulthuan factions, has a great economy currently and two solid armies to work with. He's almost ready to invade Naggarond at around turn 70. I've only noticed a couple of minor mistakes in his entire campaign so far (recruiting and disbanding a 60 influence lord a few turns later was pretty silly), but otherwise he's really showing how to do well on legendary.

The phoenix in the starting army has a huge upkeep (500 or so?) and probably won't pull it's weight against other armies comprised of archers and spears. Money in this game seems to be harder to come by and is seems like armies need to be constantly on the move, so I don't see the point in having a unit that can't simply be replaced early on anyway.

Legend of Total War is an arsehole, but he's still the only Youtuber worth watching, for people interested in seeing a good player taking on the highest difficulty.

Whorelord posted:

Choice legend of total war quote: "orcs remind me of aborigines, they both just gently caress up places and poo poo everywhere"

:thunk:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Mukip posted:

The AI or the presentation? The AI is certainly exploitable but I wouldn't say it's garbage, at least if you're playing the game normally.

I like how people expect semi-sentient AI in a video game

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, that's what loving sucks though. 2 has some small to medium innovations that change the game for the better and, more than likely if you like the first game map or races and don't want to play the combined map you can go gently caress yourself.

I'd really love for them to backport these updates, especially because they already have to do half the work for combining the two games, but it's extremely unlikely and so the first and eventually second games will become dilapidated and poo poo if you want to play them as standalone.

You might argue that Shogun 2 didn't receive Rome 2's improvements didn't receive Atilla's improvements, but those games weren't designed from the start to play together and be one giant game.

You bought game 1, you got game 1. You received what you paid for. Why are you complaining that you aren't receiving more than what you expressly paid for? It's not like game 1 is broken and it has received extensive updates

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

2:30 am CST here. :shepicide:

Hey middle US buddy

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

Railing coke and pretending its Warpstone powder.

Be careful, don't want to summon a SWAT team

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Looking at units right now, Mazamundi's red line has 1 point perks that give massive stat boosts to certain units, but only if they are rank 7 or higher, first time they added something like that.

Skavenslaves have the "meatshield" trait which the description says protects more valuable units, but I don't know how it works in practice.

Meatshield is purely descriptive. It replaced expendable because expendable now has an in-game effect.

Edit: clanrats have meatshield, skavenslaves have expendable

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
It's pretty great every battle having hordes of rats surround your enemy. It's even better when you get your warpfire throwers into a flanking position.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I don't get the hatred for Queek's start. You get into the thunderdome with Krok'gar, which provides an interesting challenge of how to beat his saurus stack with your lovely clanrats. Then to the north you got lizards wood elves, greenskins, dwarfs, undead, empire, and brettonia. To the south the High Elves are liable to start raiding your coasts.

Like I get his start can be difficult but its rather interesting. And the vampires to the North in my campaign conglomerated in a giant empire which results in some fun and large battles.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Helion posted:

All I want is a standalone game that takes the Rome 2 map and adds the Warham factions as playable. If only to see the twcenter reaction.

I want them to add greenskins to Total War: Arena

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

JBP posted:

I reckon VC would kill it in 2 as long as lords had the level 40 cap. loving level 40 Vlad and Isabella.

to be honest Empire and Vampire Counts will probably still be top-tier regardless, simply because none of the Warhammer 2 races impede on their strengths

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
a quick and dirty fix is just to have naval battles take place on islands in the middle of the ocean. Does it make all that much sense? no. Would it be much more fun? yes

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

queeb posted:

i kind of like the idea SFO has with food where it gives a local/global recruit bonus for an abundance, +1 at the first level and +2 at the 2nd, recruiting 5 rats in one turn is dope

I really like SFO's new racial extermination mechanics

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Right but like, I thought they were WW2 Rats with like Guns, and Gatling guns and poo poo? I' love all the mad scientist poo poo, but literally the entirety of my knowledge about them is "They have guns" and they do not, in fact, have guns in this.

In the lore and on TT they have guns so it's likely that the warplock jezzails and ratling guns will be introduced at a later date

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 7, 2017

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Its interesting that the Tomb Kings are considered humans rather than undead

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Every time I see one of the actual tabletop models I can't help but wonder why anyone would pay a large amount of money for those. Like am I mistaken in saying they really aren't particularly good. Arkhan's original model looks like cheap, lovely plastic and his current model is way too visually busy.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Do ITT people not realize that pikes were used against armored warhorses for centuries? There's not much an orc brings to the table that a plate-clad knight doesn't.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
What's the deal with all Fantasy being like "And then these two really cool dudes who are super strong and real badasses fought each other for an hour! hours! DAYS!"

It comes across like a kid on the playground trying to constantly one-up his own story.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Is the Luminark still completely useless?

And why did we get the copy/paste Knights of the Blazing Sun unit instead of Knights of the White Wolf?
The luminark has never been useless

and which other fire-damage causing shock cavalry unit is in the game? Why are KofBS a copy/paste job but KotWW wouldn't be?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Knights of the White Wolf use big hammers instead of lances so they're more fighty cavalry than charge cavalry. Empire already has two flavors of lance cavalry but has no great hammer cavalry.

So you're asking for a Questing knights cut/paste job?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Honestly $8 isn’t bad for this, wasn’t the grim and the grave more expensive?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Twigand Berries posted:

I’m curious if a three way sparks if all are at war.

Slaanesh campaign mechanic

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
When he plays Nurgle he's Legend of Total Vore

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

Unit diversity is a myth, there's only really like 7 unit types in the game.

We have infantry, cavalry, SEMs, chariots, war beasts, artillery. These can be flying, monstrous, or ranged. I think you could classify everything in the game this way. For example, crossbow men are ranged infantry, Pegasus knights are flying cavalry, war hounds are warbeasts, white lions are monstrous warbeasts, and the steam tank is a ranged, monstrous chariot.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

cool av posted:

as someone who doesnt know anything about warhammer outside the TW games, “chaos dwarfs” being one of the headline factions would feel like a weird ripoff since dwarfs are already a thing.

the same is sort of true for 4 different flavors of “chaos god” though so meh

Brettonia, Empire, and Kislev are all very different despite being humans, why would you think chaos dwarfs would be a ripoff?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The cool thing about SP is that any unit is viable if you aren’t an insufferable dweeb who HAS to play on VH/Legendary.

Whereas loving up the MP balance can make that side of the game essentially unplayable.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Play on H/N then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What difference would that make on unit stats? Other than supply lines.

Because the AI receives fewer campaign bonuses, you do not need to use the most efficient units in order to succeed in the campaign. You can use stormvermin and enjoy the tactical experience of having a tankier than usual frontline without that meaning you don't have enough armies to win the campaign layer.

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 13, 2022